Well, today is day 31!

wingchun

Hi All,

So, today is day 31!  Woo hooo!  It was quite a journey.  I went from 196 to 184. Nice!  I got really sick with a bad virus from my son's preschool halfway through.  It put me down for almost 10 days, but I stayed strict and focused on the plan.  I think it kind of blurred some of the benefits to my energy I may have experienced.  But, I feel pretty good now.  I also realized that I think I need to cut coffee.  It's overstimulating effect on my nervous system became more obvious as the plan went on.  A couple of unexpected results:

My roscacea is gone.  I went from using cortizone and other medications on my forehead everyday to nothing but some moisturizer.  I have to assume this is a good gauge for inflammation elsewhere in my body, as all my lingering aches and pains have also resolved. 

I don't sweat nearly as much.  I used to sweat a lot when I was nervous or working out.  This has completely stopped.  I went running the other day on a decently hot day and realized I was just a little damp from sweat.  Interesting.

So, I feel like I've got some pretty good momentum.  I'm going to keep going until I drop another 10 lbs or so.  I think my body is happiest between 170 - 175, which puts me right in the middle of my normal BMI.  I'm not really craving anything, but I'd like to reintroduce a little wine in social situations.  I think I'll extend my Whole30 another 10 days to make up for the time I had the virus and then I'll start the reintroductions to see if I'm sensitive to anything.  I feel as though I must be because I've done low carb diets before and never seen this benefit to my skin!

Thanks for all your stories, information, and support!

Phew... I celebrated last night by drinking a couple glasses of wine with my wife.  I'm seriously paying for it today.  I am way more sensitive to alcohol now.  I'm seriously wondering if alcohol and I will be friends at all in the future.

So, I had a rough re-intro.  I went to a couple social events at dinner and went to a NFL game last night (beer and peanuts).  I was so bloated last night I only slept for 2 hours.  I'm starting a whole14 tomorrow and then I'm going to be way more methodical on my reintroductions.  I was not expecting how dramatic the response to these old foods  would be.

That's interesting that you had such a big reaction to reintroducing foods. I'm assuming that it will be cheese I'll want to reintroduce first, but I'll be careful about how much! No re-introduction binges, and one new food at a time so I can monitor reactions.

Alcohol kicks my butt since I did my first whole30 a little over a year ago. We've done two more since and I have a much lower tolerance for alcohol than I did prior to completing a whole30. Love it. I'm a much cheaper date these days. Plus, I feel much better after a celebration!

Hi Fluffy, I started noticing a difference around the second week.  I was using topical cortisone almost everyday before that.  It was the only thing that would keep it under control.  Around week 2 I noticed that I had good success with a natural product, prosacae, which had previously been ineffective for me.  Then between week 3 and 4 I started just using moisturizer.  Now I'm 2 weeks past my whole30 and there is zero inflammation left in my skin.  All the redness and bumps have resolved.  There's still some slight healing of the skin that needs to occur, but I think it's secondary to the cortisone. You'd really have to know it's there to notice it.  Good luck and hang in there!  I don't think there's anyway you can calm systemic inflammation without it showing in your skin eventually.

My rosacea improved dramatically as well on this program.  Word of warning:  kombucha brought it back with a vengeance, and it took weeks and weeks for it to calm down again, even using Prosacea.  For my sister, it is cheddar and/or red wine.  I haven't had either of those in many months and probably won't for fear I'll be back to square one.

Thanks for the replies! I have used Prosacea and it did help previously but like everything I have tried, it gets better for a week or two, then starts flaring up. I still have some redness and get new bumps almost daily. It seems to just come and go no matter what I do or eat. I think after reading more of the forum here that most people who see results previously consumed alcohol. I have never had an alcoholic beverage, so I will not see any positive results like others who make that change in consumption. I think most recently I was using a cosmetic that irritated my skin. Oh well! It was worth a shot to see if eating like this would help.

Archived