a night out/easter sunday

Since finishing my first Whole30...a month ago? (haven't really been keeping track)...I haven't really veered too far off the healthy eating path. A little agave here, a dollop of sour cream there. Until yesterday. Yesterday was my fiance's b-day and we went out for dinner--where I had dairy in the form of blue cheese dressing, french fries, sugary ketchup, alcohol, and a chocolate-stuffed dessert calzone--more sugar and gluten! Ahhhh! Pretty much ate every "no-no" food in one night. Today I did partake in some Easter ham, which most likely had 10 forms of sugar and nitrates up the wazoo. But boy, was it tasty.

As I'm sitting here typing this, my stomach is doing weird flip-flopping things and I know that a quick reset is in order. This week I plan on following a strict Whole30 diet to remind myself how awesome I feel when doing so. Just thought I would inform the masses and therefore be held more accountable :)

You're certainly not alone here! While I modified everything I could this weekend I definitely caved on some cheesecake last night and you know what? I too am done with my whole30 at the moment and It was worth it. Not everything is so maybe take a minute to evaluate how you might approach the next holiday differently. Maybe you'll do it exactly the same. Just make sure you're makin conscious decisions you can live with! Your weekend sounded awesome by the way.

I did the Whole30 in January with great results! I have strayed a bit since then, but now I am attempting to eat a clean paleo diet and somewhat Whole30. It is definitely tough to stay on track. It's very important to plan your meals and have them prepared so that clean eating is easy!

Alyson - I hear ya! Unfortunately my 'off-track' has lasted for more like three weeks now! Between traveling, company and holidays, I'm all out of whack. Therefore, another pure Whole30 starts today! I felt so good after my 30 in January and I want to get back to that point. I tend to have this 'all or nothing' mentality and have a really hard time once the official 30 is done. I want to allow a treat here or there but it just seems to snowball for me. Can't wait to start reaping the rewards of better eating habits again!

I have been Paleo for over a year and have seen improvements in every aspect of my life. However, in the past few months, I have found that I have been allowing myself more "treats" (I don't like to call them cheats because of the negative connotation), yet am experiencing more PR's in the gym and no more need of naps! Now I am a huge nap fan and have been known to need them several times a week. But I have such increased energy, that I go strong from 4:30 a.m. all day long! How can this be? Unfortunately it just seems to reinforce the notion that I "need" non-Paleo foods! Any idea why this could be happening? I have been Crossfitting 5-6 times a week for 3 years, so that is not new. And I have kept off my 22 pound weight loss for over a year. Thanks for any insight.

• Moderators

Sue - You need more carbs than the average person to Crossfit 5-6 times per week. The "treats" you have been consuming over the past few months may be providing the level of carbs your body needs to perform. Try replacing the "treats" with sweet potato, butternut squash, yucca, etc. and see if your energy levels are as good. I eat one or two baked sweet potatoes per day and often add a handful of dried cranberries on top and am generally happy with my energy levels.

I had great luck with a Paleo diet/Crossfit (type) workout plan over the last year. I let myself off the hook for Christmas...then we were traveling during stock show season. And what do you know...15 lbs. I am also an all-or-nothing personality. I am 100% on plan and at the gym 5 days a week... or not.

I get very frustrated with myself. I decided to be very strict over the past couple of weeks and I feel better. I am just ready to get back to setting new PRs and learning new skills (next goal is to lose one of the two bands I use on pull ups).

I am glad y'all started this forum. And I hope it is OK if I do the Whole 30 all the time. Not just 30 days at a time. I don't even allow myself the Paleo Diet Cheat Days. Too slippery a slope for me.

Nice to meet everyone!

L

• Moderators

Lacy in TX - If you need to do a Whole120 or 240, that's okay, but you can loosen up and still stay on track eventually. Personally, I eat Whole30-compliant at home all the time and never buy anything off plan in a grocery store. I never order desserts in a restaurant and don't sample my wife's cheesecake when she orders it, but do eat dessert two or three times per year when in the home of friends and they assure me it is special. And I don't worry that there is some dairy in the sauces at Indian restaurants or yogurt in the baba ghanoush at my favorite Turkish restaurant. I actually prefer eating good food nearly 2 years after starting my first Whole30, but that preference is much stronger now than it was during the first 6 months.

LacyinTx, although I'm technically no longer doing Whole 30, I've only added (literally) about 5 foods to my regular diet since. In fact last night I made pastelón (the original term for "Latin Lasagna"; I used this recipe) and this will be the first time I've eaten cheese on a regular basis since before the Whole 30. And to think I used to believe I couldn't live without cheese...but I haven't even missed it. I got some nutritional yeast recently (don't know if that's Whole 30-compliant) to add to my eggs to see if it really did mimic a cheese flavor...turns out it does.

The beauty of the Whole 30 (as I've been telling everyone) is that it really helps you understand what works for your body and what doesn't.

There is an interesting transition when you go from "doing" paleo/W30 to "being" paleo/W30. You change from debating whether to have some dessert to not being bothered when the person next to you is eating your most favorite SAD food of all time.

Until then you make decisions as you go & decide what is best for you at the time and if you eat something that doesn't agree with you, pick yourself up and eat properly again.

Thanks for all who posted regarding my initial message. I'm kind of new to the whole forum atmosphere...but I think I like it! To everyone who also struggles with the "all or nothing" attitude...boy do I feel your pain today.

Yesterday was my friend Kristen's birthday and she had a cook-out--which was really fun--but it meant bowls of pasta salad, hotdogs, cookies, and Malibu cocktails (a special at the bar we went to...and my go-to drink. Yes, I'm a stereotypical fruity drink girl). I experienced aches and pains pretty much immediately after eating that first helping of pasta. Ugh. So today, instead of rebooting and leaving yesterday's eating mistakes behind, I went back to my old ways and said, "screw it. I'll start over tomorrow." Ahhhhh! So that meant ice cream for breakfast. And then the worst stomach discomfort I've ever felt. Seriously, I'm guessing that's what childbirth feels like. Holy crap.

Back to square one tomorrow. Another member started a Whole15 today...and I'm going to start one tomorrow. I thought I could handle the transistion and resposibly add some foods back into my diet IF I wanted to. But the addictions are still there, just waiting for me to have that one little cookie. I am excited to one day just "be" paleo, as Laura mentioned. Baby steps.

Archived