Vegas

lisa

I'll be in Vegas for a friend's bachelorette party next weekend. These will be days 11-14 on my Whole 30.

I know the hotel + the restaurants where we'll be dining already, so I can check out the menus and plan ahead. I'm hoping I can find a grocery somewhere (?) so I can have fresh fruits + veggies available.

But, you guys-- this is going to be a test. I'm battling between steely resolve to get through this cleanly and thinking that I can just start again the following Monday.

And this is where I ask you: do you have any tips for Vegas specifically? General vacation info is helpful, but I'm assuming there aren't many grocery options in this particular town, which is what I would rely on to succeed on vacation.

Any thoughts you have are much, much, much appreciated. Thank you!

I did a quick search for Whole Foods in Vegas. Here is what came up: http://wholefoodsmar...header&x=21&y=6

Unfortunately, I do not have any tips specific to Vegas, but I would say preparing a bunch of food, placing in a cooler and bringing it with you is a good option.

Protein: Hard boil some eggs, jerky, deli slices…

Veggies: pre-cook and/or cut and bag up a bunch of veggies i.e. carrots, celery, cucumbers, pepper slices, tomatoes, baby spinach, jicama…………

Fat: cans of olives (bring a can opener), avocado, shredded coconut, coconut milk, nuts/seeds, but butters (as long as you won't go crazy on them)

Other: Larabars, EVOO, your favorite spices…

All of this can be purchased, prepared and packed in a cooler or suitcase.

Here is some additional information: http://whole9life.com/2011/07/whats-in-your-cooler/

Hope this helps…………

Carie, thanks so much for this. You know, I saw that post but didn't even think about the fact that I could bring a cooler of food on a plane. I suppose I could though, couldn't I? As long as I watched the liquids, I could certainly bring some vegetables, fruit, nuts and eggs.

Thanks, again. I'm going to plot this out over the weekend and see what I can make happen.

When I get back from Vegas, I'll try to remember to do a follow-up here on how it went with these suggestions...

No problem...glad I could help.

You could get one of those insulated/zippered cooler bags and maybe a frozen ice pack thing and put it in your suitcase. Or, use it as a carry on. Like you said, as long as there are no liquids, I am sure you could get through security. You would want to pack your can opener in your checked luggage...not sure if that is ok. hahahaha!

Can't wait to hear how it goes...more importantly...Have Fun!!!

Thanks! Sounds like a good idea to pack it in checked luggage -- I can create a little mini-fridge in one half of my suitcase!

This is super helpful -- I definitely want to make a plan in advance so I don't have to think about it too much while I'm in Vegas. When I 'm there, I want to focus on fun!

I did my first Whole30 in Vegas, during CES. I had to turn down 3 open bars so I completely know how you feel. Don't be afraid to be extremely specific at restaurants. Most of my meals were just a hunk of grilled protein, a side salad with olive oil and steamed veggies. Just get club soda at the bars so you have something to hold in your hand and aren't tempted to drink. It's only a weekend, you'll survive, and you'll feel accomplished.

Thanks, TLC -- it's good to know that it can be done. And yes, the sense of accomplishment will be something to strive for, for sure. Winning at blackjack is not the only type of success I can have this coming weekend (though I wouldn't mind that kind of win, too!).

Vegas is actually one of the easier cities to stay compliant in. I am there on business about 15 + a year. They have excellent places to eat that are used to catering to the people who are eating there. And there are actually supermarkets located just a few blocks off the strip to fill in what you need!

The biggest concern will be the social pressure of Vegas :)

Thank you again for all of the tips and encouragement!

Update: After a lot of consideration, I decided not to worry about staying compliant for this trip after all. I ate mostly the same, but didn't worry if I wanted some cocktails or pasta at dinner.

Guess what? I could hardly sleep at night because my body was so restless, despite being dead tired. Gone are the days of thinking that sugar doesn't really affect me, friends. I'm not feeling great after this trip and I'm so excited to start my Whole 30 journey fresh.

So, yes-- I think I could have stayed compliant. And maybe I should have. But I had a great time and I learned a lot about how carefully I'll want to embark on life on day 31. :)

Archived