Feeling weak, light-headed, and shaky in the A.M.

I am a mother of a big 9 month old boy that still breastfeeds frequently. He eats solids, but is generally uninterested in them and still prefers breastfeeding. I also just started a whole30 with my husband and we are on day 3. On both day 2 and day 3 I woke up feeling shaky, weak, and light-headed. I spent an hour laying on the floor this morning while my son played because I felt uneasy standing. Is this the carb flu or is it something else? I planned our meals as three big meals per day and was trying to avoid fruit because I have a terrible sweet tooth. Should I eat more or more frequently? Is this normal?

Thanks for replying. Yesterday I had:

Breakfast-3 hard boiled eggs, lots of celery sticks, and a spponful of almond butter.

Lunch-a large bowl of soup that included veg broth, tomatoes, sweet potatoe, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and a generous portion of pork sausage. I also had a small handful of macadamia nuts.

Dinner-two bacon wrapped chicken thighs and two helpings (I would estimate this at 3-4 cups) of broccoli, cauliflower, and sweet potato roasted in olive oil.

Eat more food :lol:

Try a bit more protein & veggies at breakfast for example - it sounds corny, but a big breakfast really does set you up for the day. And if you're genuinely hungry, EAT! Don't be afraid to add in one or even two mini-meals. The "just 3 meals" advice is aimed more at those of us who aren't also feeding a young 'un :)

You have to eat  more than 3 times a day when breast feeding, especially at first.  I am breast feeding a 13 month old, but he was 10 months when I did my first whole 30.  I had to eat more often.  I kept a jar of olives close by and an extra grapefruit around at all times.

Save tempering you sweet tooth and getting down to three meals a day for another whole 30.  This one, just concentrate on good food choices and providing your body the right nutrition to care for your self and your baby.

• 2 weeks later...

I was happy to find this post as I am breastfeeding two eight month olds. They still wake up 3-4 times a night and I don't plan on doing any cry it out sleep training...but I would like to do some sort of cry free training where I attend to them, feed them a little, and then get them back into their beds...but honestly I haven't had the energy to do it yet. Right now, allowing them to bf in bed with me gives me so much more sleep. Maybe the next time my husband has off two days in a row and can help me get a nap in!

Anywho...I'm on day three and eating mini meals 4-5 a day but waking up feeling super awful and I'm trying to figure out how to regulate my blood sugar as I had to shove a banana and a date in my mouth as I made myself breakfast (chicken burger, butternut squash, and kale). Oh, and I'm on the autoimmune protocol (no eggs, nuts, or seeds!) so I felt like fruit was what I had to do. I'll try and work on it so that I don't feel that way.

Have you had success? What did you do differently? Today I started drinking homemade beef bone broth (cooked with cloves & cinnamon) with turmeric, cinnamon, & ginger hoping it will help regulate my blood sugar. ?! We will see.

Also, do you think a van of coconut milk is too much in one day for breastfeeding mothers? I saw a post that suggested sipping it throughout the day for breastfeeders.

I was happy to find this post as I am breastfeeding two eight month olds. They still wake up 3-4 times a night and I don't plan on doing any cry it out sleep training...but I would like to do some sort of cry free training where I attend to them, feed them a little, and then get them back into their beds...but honestly I haven't had the energy to do it yet. Right now, allowing them to bf in bed with me gives me so much more sleep. Maybe the next time my husband has off two days in a row and can help me get a nap in!

Anywho...I'm on day three and eating mini meals 4-5 a day but waking up feeling super awful and I'm trying to figure out how to regulate my blood sugar as I had to shove a banana and a date in my mouth as I made myself breakfast (chicken burger, butternut squash, and kale). Oh, and I'm on the autoimmune protocol (no eggs, nuts, or seeds!) so I felt like fruit was what I had to do. I'll try and work on it so that I don't feel that way.

Have you had success? What did you do differently? Today I started drinking homemade beef bone broth (cooked with cloves & cinnamon) with turmeric, cinnamon, & ginger hoping it will help regulate my blood sugar. ?! We will see.

Also, do you think a van of coconut milk is too much in one day for breastfeeding mothers? I saw a post that suggested sipping it throughout the day for breastfeeders.

Try 4-5 (or more) proper sized meals, not mini meals! Include plenty of protein and fat, and starchy carbs with your vegetables. If you're feeding two babies, you'll need even more nutrients and calories. A whole can of coconut milk is not a lot over a whole day, especially for a BFing mother.

I am also breastfeeding a healthy 7 month old and I have found that I get shaky if I don't eat enough starchy carbs.  I need at least 1-2 starchy carbs per day.  What has worked for me is to eat a huge breakfast (sausage, lots of veggies, and sweet potato fritter), and then I can eat less for lunch and dinner.  And by less, I mean less than my huge breakfast.... I still eat a good sized piece of meat or fish and a good sized portion of veggies.  And I find that I usually need to snack a little between meals as well.  If I forget my sweet potato one day I can usually tell by the afternoon, because I get foggy and/or shaky.  I used to be concerned about eating too much, especially things like nuts and coconut, because I noticed that I wasn't losing weight as quickly, but now I'm at peace with the process, and I know it will come off in it's own time.

• 2 months later...

Try 4-5 (or more) proper sized meals, not mini meals! Include plenty of protein and fat, and starchy carbs with your vegetables. If you're feeding two babies, you'll need even more nutrients and calories. A whole can of coconut milk is not a lot over a whole day, especially for a BFing mother.

Ah!  Really!  I thought the two mini-meals would be enough.  I don't know if we can afford for me to eat 4 or 5 regular meals a day? LOL  But I do want to keep doing this.  I am BFing and have had the light headedness issue as well.

• 1 year later...

I am so glad I found this post... I'm on day 10 and my daughter is 15 months old and still nursing. Part time... however, this weekend she nursed a lot. More so then she normally does and this morning I am feeling super weak and shaking. I need to pick up another meal. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Twice I have woken up shaky, day 3 and today which is day 6.  I got food into me as fast as possible and had a full glass of water and felt much better.  I think maybe waking up in the middle of the night to feed baby messed with my hunger cues.  

Rainykatie, as a breastfeeding mom, you need to eat a lot of food. Like, at least four meals a day, plus supplement with extra fat (eat olives, sip coconut milk) throughout the day. And don't skimp on the starchy vegetables. And if by chance you are also working out, you need your pre- and post-workout meals as well. Does that sound like the amount you're eating every day? When you get up in the middle of the night to feed, maybe you could try having some coconut milk or some olives or even just grab some leftovers out of the fridge to eat while you nurse, and see if that helps in the morning.

If you're not sure if you're eating enough throughout the day, please list a few days' worth of food (including approximate portion sizes), water intake, exercise, and sleep, and we'll see if there's anything you need to change.

i probably do need to eat more.  I'm eating more on the whole30 than i was prior though... i would sometimes not eat until 2pm. eekkk!!! i know, bad bad bad.  my mom brain is having trouble remembering what i've had to eat so i'll write it down for the next 2 days and get back to you.  this will probably make me more mindful of my intake as well.  i did batch cooking today and have a nice stocked fridge now.  thank you Shannon. 

Archived