Sign in to follow this  
Sara O.

...Cacao Butter?

I've searched the forum for "cacao butter" and didn't find anything.  Not sure why...surely someone's asked about this before!  lol

I even did a Google search for "whole30 cacao butter" and all I found was this.

I'm particularly interested in whether or not this brand is ok.

Thanks!   :D

Coconut oil is pretty awesome in coffee (blended until frothy), I'd love to know how the cacao butter works out that way.

I bought another brand of cacao butter (organic) and I find the smell much less appealing than I expected (since cacao smells awesome), I haven't been able to bring myself to add it to anything yet.

Coconut oil is pretty awesome in coffee (blended until frothy), I'd love to know how the cacao butter works out that way.

I bought another brand of cacao butter (organic) and I find the smell much less appealing than I expected (since cacao smells awesome), I haven't been able to bring myself to add it to anything yet.

Woud love to hear your thoughts on it once you try it! 

Experiment complete. It takes longer to melt than the others, so I'd leave it to melt before blending with the immersion blender.

It's not as sweet as coconut oil and for those who can have dairy (not Whole30), it's not as tasty as pastured butter.

However, if you can't have coconut or butter, it would be a good alternative, but I'm not sure it has the same health benefits (MCTs in coconut and K2 in butter).

I didn't measure it as mine comes in funny size chunks, but I think I used the same amount as I would for coconut oil (I find I can use more butter as it emulsifies better for me, the coconut gets oily if I use too much and stops being "fluffy"). It doesn't get as frothy as either coconut oil or butter.

I chickened out and added some cacao due to the weird smell (it SO does not smell like cacao or chocolate lol), I'm not sure if coffee and cacao butter are a great taste combo on their own. It was nice and mocha-ish, but might not be sweet enough for some. I find the coconut is just right, adds just a tiny bit of sweetness. I've never liked sugar in my coffee :)

How funny. I was going to ask about cocoa butter, and now here it is! I don't have any now, but I started thinking about it when playing with my butter samples I got for cosmetics (murumuru, sal, mango and I've also got a big tub of shea butter). There are a lot of different butters out there for use on skin, but I was wondering what would be edible.

The USDA database says that cocoa has much more vitamin E and K than coconut butter. It also has higher phytosterols content (source from elsewhere). It was also six times higher in MUFAs and twice as high in PUFAs. Compared to avocado oil, it has almost as much MUFAs and much less PUFAs, so it should be great, right?

By the way, as a side note, I've now and again put some MCT powder in my coffee. I can't use coconut oil anymore for that purpose as it makes me hurl, so I'm just using the medium chain triglycerides. It tastes just like coffee creamer.

There is a brand of cocoa butter for cooking that is in a powder form and very easy to use--I don't notice any particular flavour, but that could partly be because it's easy to control the amount used & so easy to use it lightly for stir fries and tossing veggies before grilling, etc: Mycryo (http://www.mycryo.ca/en/home)

I think Artisana brand also sells cacao butter (in convenient single serving packets, no less - same as their coconut butter).  I might have to stock up on both.

Hands-down, I can't beat Nutiva Coconut Manna.  Great on just about anything (I love it on roasted squash) but I can also eat it straight off a spoon.  Or my fingers.  You get the idea.

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

I think Artisana brand also sells cacao butter (in convenient single serving packets, no less - same as their coconut butter). I might have to stock up on both.

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

The Artisana cacao bliss has coconut sugar, so it's not OK on whole30. I've never seen a plain cocoa butter from them, although they might have one.