Help me love coconut millk?

Ok, I bought Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk, the more expensive brand my store had and it's is super gross! I shook it up and tried it, blah, then added it my coffee anyway--still blah. It was all oily on top of my coffee even though I stirred and stirred?! Am I totally doing something wrong? I really wanted to make my own iced coffee with it after seeing the thread discussing it but I've been drinking my coffee black ever since the first day--which I can't stand but it's better than nothing. I am not missing bread, pasta, dairy, cookies (well maybe a little bit!, nothing but I want my coffee! HELP!

When I bought Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk, it had a VERY thick layer of coconut cream on top. You may want to completely open your can and skim that off (save it for a treat/topping on fruit and nuts!). Then use the milk below. I also use a LOT of ice in my iced coffee as I like it super cold.

I have heated the cream and water on the stove, infused a vanilla bean, some cinnamon, pumpkin pie spices, chai spices, or citrus zest until fragrant, blended it with an immersion blender, then let it chill.

I suppose if you really need to make it sweeter, you could do any of the above and mash a ripe banana, use an immersion blender to get it smooth, then chill (maybe wean yourself, gradually reducing the amount of banana?). However, if you feel like it has to be sweeter, this may tell you that your body is still battling its sugar dragon, and you definitely don't want to feed that beast! Also, how far into your Whole 30 are you? The farther you get/longer you go without sugar, the more you will be able to taste the natural sweetness of plain coconut milk.

I HAAATED coconut milk until doing W30. At first, I could only tolerate the light versions. Now I want all the full fat coconut milk I can get! It really will taste better with time. I now go through a can every 2-3 days. Also, some brands taste better to me than others, so try experimenting with that as well. I also have to say that I only like coconut milk very cold (or in curry), so I would never add it to hot coffee. I like the creaminess that it adds to iced coffee though, so it may be worth a try for you. I keep a couple of cans in the fridge so that I can have cold coconut milk when the mood strikes instead of being stuck with a can that is room temp. Ick.

I have heated the cream and water on the stove, infused a vanilla bean, some cinnamon, pumpkin pie spices, chai spices, or citrus zest until fragrant, blended it with an immersion blender, then let it chill.

I suppose if you really need to make it sweeter, you could do any of the above and mash a ripe banana, use an immersion blender to get it smooth, then chill (maybe wean yourself, gradually reducing the amount of banana?). However, if you feel like it has to be sweeter, this may tell you that your body is still battling its sugar dragon, and you definitely don't want to feed that beast! Also, how far into your Whole 30 are you? The farther you get/longer you go without sugar, the more you will be able to taste the natural sweetness of plain coconut milk.

I am on day 3 and I know I am just missing that sweet cup of coffee that I used to just relax with, ya know? I think maybe trying it with the vanilla bean might help and I also bought some fresh ground coffee today to try the iced way and see how that goes. I've been doing black coffee and that's not too bad but it's not what I LOVE!

You know, I've had varying levels of success with different cans of coconut milk (same brand), so maybe you just got a not-so-good batch? Personally, I don't like coconut milk in my coffee. I've tried numerous times and it just doesn't do it for me. I'd rather drink it black so that's what I'm doing on my Whole30. I find it helps me to put it in a travel mug where I cannot see the color of the coffee. ;)

After I hit my 30 days, heavy cream will be my first 'reintroduction' item because I miss my coffee (I don't use sugar or sweetener...never have).

I put a can in the fridge and let it get very thick, then drain off the water and use the cream part to top fruit. I generally don't drink it or use it in coffee. I do put it in my chicken soup. If you're not used to the texture you can throw it n a blender to mix it up well.

Archived