Help with nutriton for Tri

ChickenNoodle

I am doing my first tri in a week and a half...and it is out of state :-/

Can anyone here give me some advice on managing my nutrition before and during the race?

It is only a sprint so it shouldn't be too tough but it is my first and I am unsure how to feed my body. Most tri training programs/ books/mags etc, suggest a certain number of calories at breakfast, then too it all off with Gatorade before the start of the swim...chug Gatorade and down Gu during the ride and run. Obviously that is out, I have never relied on any of those anyhow. But the rule of thumb is don't do anything different on race day. My pre work out routine (morning) is some apple slices with salted almond butter at 6 am BP coffee @ 7, hard boiled egg with guac mixed into the yolk at 8:30ish and the. I head out within the hour. Not much food going into my body, but it works for my Masters swim and my 1-3mi runs.

But I am terribly unprepared due to a foot injury earlier this summer and so I have not really practiced nutrition on the go, and my foods of choice are not all that portable! I can bring a can each of olives & coconut milk and macadamias, tiny portion containers of ghee and coconut oil for my coffee, I could choke down some scrambled eggs at the restaurant....maybe bring some olives and macadamias to eat with the eggs. Should I eat fruit as well?

My plan at this point is to go for it and make the best of the day, I will probably have to walk a good portion of the run and I have not had much time in the saddle BUT I am determined to have fun!

Any advice is welcome :-)

If it is a typical sprint (.75k swim-20k bike-5k run), you shouldn't need anything during the race aside from fluid, and possibly salt if it will be really hot. You can get compliant saltsticks for the salt, if necessary. Maybe pack a larabar or a baggie with some pitted dates for the bike portion just in case you feel you need it.

As for before the race, before I gave up eggs, I used to eat hardboiled eggs and pre-cooked sweet potato as my pre-race breakfast, about 2-3 hours before the race start. Do you have access to a microwave to get sweet potatoes? If not, try a banana.

20-30 minutes before race time, I will usually eat some dates or part of a larabar to top off the glycogen.

Good luck!

Hello all. I'm on Day 8. I've made sure to roast lots of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots for quick and easy sides, as well as putting tons of kale or spinach in my breakfast, but I'm getting bored. What other good veggies do you enjoy? I've had brussles sprouts a few times and eggplant a few times. What are some good staples? I do enjoy sweet potatoes daily with my eggs.

Thanks everyone!

• Moderators

I love shredded rutabaga and sweet potato hash for breakfast. Cook on hot in coconut oil. maybe some onions + paprika + chile powder too - love this with eggs or alone.

Cauliflower rice pilaf is delicious. Pulse cauli heads in food processor tile "rice" sized, sautee in fat with onion, garlic, curry powder, salt and chopped blanched almonds. perfect with something juicy or saucy like coconut milk curry or a beef stew.

Roast beets - peel and cut up beets, toss with compliant fat, drizzle with juice from an orange, sprinkle with salt. Yum!

Thick slice sweet potatoes, brush with fat, roast and flip.

Google "Chez Panisse braised cabbage". Another delicious option.

Hello all. I'm on Day 8. I've made sure to roast lots of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots for quick and easy sides, as well as putting tons of kale or spinach in my breakfast, but I'm getting bored. What other good veggies do you enjoy? I've had brussles sprouts a few times and eggplant a few times. What are some good staples? I do enjoy sweet potatoes daily with my eggs.

Thanks everyone!

• Moderators

Thanks everyone!

Last week, I made a soup out of  a bunch of roasted veggies -- cauliflower, carrots, onions, garlic, golden beets -- with some chicken broth, after it simmered for a while, I used an immersion blender to make it mostly smooth, and added some coconut milk for more creaminess.  I've actually still got some in the freezer, it made a little more than I expected, but I ate a big bowl of it almost every day last week. Easy veggies. Mostly, I topped it with cooked meat and had a whole meal in a bowl, but you could do it as a side, too.

I also like to do a breakfast salad like this one: http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/07/05/easy-breakfast-salad/ -- just use whatever sounds good to you. I try not to add too much fruit and make it mostly veggies. Jicama adds a nice crunch, and yellow squash and zucchini are mild flavored and easy to eat raw. I usually put carrot, but cook them slightly before adding them, because I prefer them a little bit softer, but raw would work too. Be sure you use some kind of citrus juice in it, lemon is good, but lime would work -- it helps it keep better without stuff turning brown. And I don't always put mint, but I have -- it's nice, but not necessary, and since I don't grow my own, I'd have to buy it every week, so mostly I skip it. I usually make it and keep it in a container in the fridge, it seems to keep well for 5-6 days -- although when I put strawberries in it a couple of weeks ago, they didn't look so hot by the end.

I completed my first sprint yesterday, stayed on W30 and felt awesome!

I was on day 22. The event was out of state but the inn was able to accommodate me for my diet pretty well.

The morning of I had BP coffee, about two bites of runny eggs (blech) and a banana at about 5:30am.

At about 7:00, shortly before the swim, I ate a pack of raisins.

At T1 I ate about 1/2 of a Lara bar and drank some compliant coconut water with an electrolyte tab on the ride.

Felt fantastic and can't wait to do it again!

Archived