My experience with hair loss and how I fixed it.

grapefruitlove

Hi Ladies!

I've come across some potentially helpful information for hair loss...but first some context.

Three years ago (when I was 25 years old) I discovered a bald spot the size of an oreo cookie (i know, bad point of reference) hidden underneath my otherwise full head of hair. I had lost thousands and thousands and thousands of strands in probably about 2 weeks without even noticing. This was the first time I had ever heard about alopecia and I was scared. I chose not to use prescribed steroids and looked for natural fixes. It took me a whole year to make the connection to gluten (meanwhile my hair was slowly growing back). So a year later I went gluten free. My hair was still falling out a lot in the shower. Every time I washed it I would be near tears at the hundreds of strands because of the potential of what could happen again (sometimes I literally counted ~300 strands). My dermatologist assured me it was a normal amount of hair (you see, it looked like I had a lot of hair but he didn't understand that I was working from a different reference point than him...it was definitely less).

Anyway, about a year and a half later after I had first decided to go gluten free, something magical happened. My hair stopped falling out. It just stopped. I'm talking like 5-10 strands when I washed my hair! I was ecstatic and relieved to say the least.

Fast forward to now, today is day 22 of my first whole30. Last week, I noticed quite a bit more hair falling out when I washed it (~100 strands). I got very worried again and it brought all the old feelings back. But, I came onto this forum and decided the solution was to have more starchy carbs (sweet potato, cassava, butternut squash)- I was having zero. I added some to my dinners for a few days and I am happy to report that today I washed my hair and it is back to normal (5-10 strands).

I wanted to share my experience in case anyone is going through something similar. I know how devastating hair loss can be from first hand experience and it took me a long time to learn the right diet for me (and I am obviously still learning! This is my first experience with whole30 and even paleo for other issues of mine but I will save those for another day ;)).

Ciao for now.

• 2 months later...

Thank you for sharing! I discovered my hair had thinner/is thinning about 1.5 years ago.  Since then I've tried and discovered many new things.

I discovered I have a benign pituitary tumor that effects my hormone levels/balance. Even though my doctor doesn't think this effects my hair I think it does and am tracking the results. I haven't noticed anything crazy yet but I *think* I'm losing less strands?

I've also lost around 60 pounds and am maintaining a much healthier lifestyle. I do not eat many carbs or starches though and am thinking of adding in sweet potatoes etc. after reading some of these threads. 

Some great stuff in this forum, thanks for sharing!

Hi, I've been a hairdresser for 18 years so I just wanted to weigh in on a few things. One, I 150% believe that diet dictates our hair more than anything else, and that a paleo diet full of good fats and proteins is the best way to boost our hair health. Two, you were smart to add in some starchy carbs because without energy only necessary functions take place; hair growth is not on top of the list. And three, much like other animals and even plants, we shed in phases. So if this should happen again, know that you are doing everything right and are just in a shedding cycle. Good luck!

I discovered I have a benign pituitary tumor that effects my hormone levels/balance. Even though my doctor doesn't think this effects my hair I think it does and am tracking the results. I haven't noticed anything crazy yet but I *think* I'm losing less strands?

Side note, Molly - how did you get that diagnosed?  My doctor has suspected several times but MRIs always come up clean, though I continue to have symptoms.  

Great information, thanks for sharing!

I've always lost a lot of hair. Not 300 strands, I think. No bald spot either. But more hair than the rest. Every time I go to a new hairdresser, they get alarmed and ask me if something's wrong. But it's always been like that, and it grows back again (so I always have a halo of new hair around my face). So at least my hair is not thinning, but it's thin, I really don't have much.

I was hoping going gluten-free would do something, but so far I haven't seen any effect. I'll try the starchy carbs!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Millions of people all over the world are affected by hair loss, and it's not only the males that suffer this condition as even females are affected by this problem. What's sad is that many of the individuals affected by such a condition end up just accepting what is happening to their hair due to lack of information or options.
Some tips for people who suffer from hair loss : Try looking at your diet, level of stress, etc. Poor nutrition can affect the health of the hair that you still have. Don't smoke.

Hi Ladies!

I've come across some potentially helpful information for hair loss...but first some context.

Three years ago (when I was 25 years old) I discovered a bald spot the size of an oreo cookie (i know, bad point of reference) hidden underneath my otherwise full head of hair. I had lost thousands and thousands and thousands of strands in probably about 2 weeks without even noticing. This was the first time I had ever heard about alopecia and I was scared. I chose not to use prescribed steroids and looked for natural fixes. It took me a whole year to make the connection to gluten (meanwhile my hair was slowly growing back). So a year later I went gluten free. My hair was still falling out a lot in the shower. Every time I washed it I would be near tears at the hundreds of strands because of the potential of what could happen again (sometimes I literally counted ~300 strands). My dermatologist assured me it was a normal amount of hair (you see, it looked like I had a lot of hair but he didn't understand that I was working from a different reference point than him...it was definitely less).

Anyway, about a year and a half later after I had first decided to go gluten free, something magical happened. My hair stopped falling out. It just stopped. I'm talking like 5-10 strands when I washed my hair! I was ecstatic and relieved to say the least.

Fast forward to now, today is day 22 of my first whole30. Last week, I noticed quite a bit more hair falling out when I washed it (~100 strands). I got very worried again and it brought all the old feelings back. But, I came onto this forum and decided the solution was to have more starchy carbs (sweet potato, cassava, butternut squash)- I was having zero. I added some to my dinners for a few days and I am happy to report that today I washed my hair and it is back to normal (5-10 strands).

I wanted to share my experience in case anyone is going through something similar. I know how devastating hair loss can be from first hand experience and it took me a long time to learn the right diet for me (and I am obviously still learning! This is my first experience with whole30 and even paleo for other issues of mine but I will save those for another day ;)).

Ciao for now.

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds wonderful! I wear hair extensions all the time now. My hair is extremely fine and it just won't grow! So I too was hoping that the whole 30 and being paleo would help! The last time I went to hairdresser she did say that I had a lot of new growth which is good, but still I suppose I must give it more time to see a noticeable difference. You said yours stopped falling out after 18 months, so I do hope mine actually starts growing after 18 months. Thanks for sharing this because it's been on my mind, would love to have naturally lovely flowing locks!

Because low-carbohydrate diets can cause rapid and significant weight loss, they may cause a type of hair loss called telogen effluvium, where hair growth cycles are temporarily interrupted. As MayoClinic.com explains, this form of hair loss results from physical stress, such as extreme weight loss or consuming a diet that provides inadequate nutrition. AgingSkinNet notes that eating too much vitamin A -- found in low-carbohydrate foods such as cod liver oil, butter, eggs and whole milk -- can also cause hair loss, and excessive intake of these foods or vitamin A supplements may be culprits in hair problems. reatment

In most cases, hair loss related to low-carbohydrate diets will improve on its own after weight loss stops or slows down. AgingSkinNet explains that hair loss from dieting will eventually regrow to its previous state. In the case of telogen effluvium from extreme dieting or poor nutrition, stagnant hair follicles will start growing again one to two months after resuming your normal eating habits, according to MayoClinic.com. To prevent hair loss or lessen its impact while eating a low-carbohydrate diet, eat a spectrum of nutritious foods, lose weight gradually rather than rapidly, and consume adequate amounts of protein and iron.

Apple Cider Vinegar contains natural alpha hydroxy acids, loaded 
with vitamins and minerals and helps to regulate scalp pH levels.

Naturally anti-bacterial and anti-fungal which helps provide scalp friendly
environment to promote healthy hair grow while discouraging scalp fungus 
and other pathogens.

Free of harsh detergents like Sodium Lauryl Sulfate or Sodium Laureth 
Sulfate. Gentle safe non-irritating all natural formula helps calm irritated scalps.

ltransparent-box-line.gif                 Nature’s best authentic natural and organic ingredients provide nutrients with vitamins that feed and hydrate for 
the best looking fullest healthy hair growth.

Licorice, Comfrey Root, and Saw Palmetto extracts are thought to not only slow down hair loss in both men 
and women, but also encourage growth of new hair follicles.

Panthenol Pro-Vitamin B5 strengthens hair and soothes your scalp while dirt, sebum and dead skin cells are 
lifted away from follicles, eliminating one potential cause of hair loss from clogged hair follicles.

Andiroba oil helps restore balance and allows your skin to heal itself. While Karanja oil is helpful for its antiseptic 
properties but also is used as a skin moisturizer.

Anti-fade color safe formula keeps hair color longer with our chloride free and sulfate free. Protects color from sun, 
wind and pool water damage, color is sealed in to last longer.

Keratin straightening treatments maintenance, perms, colors and other hair treatments maintained and protected.

Hair is volumized and vibrant, helps to detangle, strengthens hair, and helps prevent damage.

Safe natural and organic formula made fresh in the USA.  Gentle enough for daily use.

It could also be a lack of iodine. This can be caused by leaky gut and hypothyroid. By the way, the majority of people with hypothyroid actually have Hashimoto. Most doctors don't do anything about hypothyroidism until it's too late. I am talking iodine and will hopefully improve my sleep and my hair loss. The paleo diet should help improve your symptoms especially with added iodine. Some of us need the autoimmune protocol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you so so much for posting this! My daughter has alopecia and we have converted to paleo to see if it will help with hair regrowth. We're halfway through our Whole30 and I'm not seeing new hair growth (it affects her eye brows and eye lashes), but I have noticed she's not losing the few hairs she has. It's good to know that it really takes a good chunk of time to see results. I'm thinking of doing the auto immune paleo diet for 30 days at the end of this whole 30 to see if we see any more improvements. 

It can be really lonely and embarrassing for people with alopecia, so again thank you for sharing your story and helping our family know we're not alone in this struggle <3

• Administrators

I'm a red head with thin, fine hair and I have noticed that while Whole30 and lack of inflammatory foods (grains, dairy for me) when not Whole30'ing makes a difference, I've noticed significant change in the quantity and texture and durability of my hair by drinking half a litre of bone broth every day.  I've been doing it for about 6-8 months now and the change is remarkable. I've even noticed that the receding part of my hairline has changed and is less receded than it has ever been.  Basically I have enough regrowth now that my hairline has changed!

Not sure how that will help with alopecia, but it can't hurt!

Half a litre of bone broth a day?! Do you make it all yourself? If not, where do you buy it to stay stocked?

I've been experiencing thinning/receding hair along the hairline. I've been trying to increase the starchy veggies, but haven't noticed a difference. Will continue to try to increase my intake of both this and the bone broth.

• Moderators

Interesting thread! As a child and teenager I had SO. MUCH. HAIR. I definitely have much less now, though I still have what I'd guess is a "normal" amount. I just chalked it up to aging (and the fact that I had so much to begin with), but now I wonder if it had to do with all that junk food over the years.

One of the things Hubz noticed when he did Whole30 is that he thinks he got a little more hair up top.

• Administrators

Half a litre of bone broth a day?! Do you make it all yourself? If not, where do you buy it to stay stocked?

I've been experiencing thinning/receding hair along the hairline. I've been trying to increase the starchy veggies, but haven't noticed a difference. Will continue to try to increase my intake of both this and the bone broth.

I do make it myself, yes. I put a crockpot of bones & veggies on every Friday night and clean it up on Monday after work usually. I drink off of it during the weekend and just keep adding water as I use it and then jar it on Monday and freeze. It's a 30 minute time committment all told (setting it up and cleaning it up) but it's SO worth it to me.

• Administrators

"Half a Litre" sounds like a lot but it's really just 2 cups.

• 2 months later...

Hi Ladies!

Ciao for now.

This really works for anyone worried about hair loss.... :rolleyes: 

I am facing hair loss and scalp in my hair , please tell me natural hair loss treatment or any remedy which can work for me I search on internet about its some people told me to use apple vinegar for scalp. Does its work?

What you eat has more to do with hair regrowth than what you apply topically.  Are you eating eggs and other proteins, especially salmon.  Salmon is great for the hair.    The best you can do is load up on proteins because hair is made of a protein...keratin.  I've read that massaging the scalp with vitamin C and hibiscus tea helps and it is a traditional remedy for hair loss.  Steep 2 bags hibiscus tea in hot water for 20 minutes...pour over your scalp and massage for at least 10 minutes.   If you have red/auburn hair, you won't have to rinse.    Salmon is the best food for hair.  I've been eating some fish almost daily for 10 months.  It's helping my hair...to the left. :D  

Archived