KB0426 Whole30 Round #3

kb0426

Hmmm.

I had started a log on day 2.  I think the recent site activities ate it.

Anyways, just checking in on day 8.  I am doing well with my food choices, and am not feeling any challenges.  I have not had the sleep of the dead kick in yet.  In due time, I keep telling myself.

I had a friend over for dinner last night.  Knowing that preparing a Monday night feast would not be easy, I made chocolate chili on Sunday.  I must continue to profess my undying love for that stuff.  My friend Anne really enjoyed it as well.

I feel so anticlimatic; no great news or even challenges to share. Just keeping on!  I felt like if I had not checked in you might suspect I was face first in a box of triscuits or in homemade pumpkin cupcakes with a brown sugar caramel swiss meringue buttercream frosting.  Yeah.  I made those for a work event last week and prayed that they tasted good since I could not taste them! 

Hope you are all doing well out there in whole30 land!

I made chocolate chili on Sunday for Monday's dinner, too.  Sunday, though, would have been a perfect chili day.  We were all soaked through from watching soccer games in the rain.  Love fall, but not days like that!

And am doing an Oct W30 in a very anticlimatic way. 

The cupcakes sound wonderful and evil. I'm glad I don't work with you! :)

Why must our weekends be horrid and out weekdays like today so lovely?

Btw, anyone out there that makes your own chicken stock, I implore you to find a chicken feet source. I just took my broth out of the refrigerator, not having looked at it since I made it Sunday. A perfect giant bowl of chicken jello! No, I don't eat it that way. A hot cup while preparing dinner is quite a lovely treat!

Get chicken feet!

I keep meaning to ask my butcher about getting chicken feet. But I want to be ready to make broth when I get the feet. My freezer in my new apartment is dreadfully tiny.  :(

Glad things are going well on your W30. I'm planning on doing W30 for 20 days at the beginning of November and for 14 days after I get home from visiting family for Thanksgiving. I've been doing ok riding my own bike but treats are sneaking in a lot more lately. Doesn't help that I got a box from Eating Evolved this week. Luckily that stuff is so good a little goes a long way.

Day 11.  There are some challenges with this whole30 just cropping up.  I am just not hungry for my veggies in the morning.  I eat my HB eggs, an avocado and coffee with whipped coconut cream.  The veggie concept is gagging me.  I have been able to get some choked down in soup form.  Sigh.  I am eating at least one salad a day with lots of leafy greens as well as some kale with dinner.  Since I am not hungry or wasting away, I guess I am ok.

The Sleep of the Dead has started, but still not bright eyed and bushy tailed in the morning...it will come.

Looking forward to this weekend.  I am meeting a potential new family member tonight!  Paco and I may be adding another dog to the family.  She is a rescue dog and we meet her at my house tonight.  I hope Paco likes her and that she likes him! 

The hard part about fall weekends is that I REALLY love to bake in this weather.  Yes, I am one of those obsessed pumpkin people :).  I also adore ginger spice cookies.   My ass, however, does not.  Lucky/unlucky coworkers may have more baked goods than they know what to do with!

Happy Friday!

I hear you on choking down veggies. I seem to be having more trouble now in the fall/winter than I was in the summer as well. We can do it! Soups sound like a great way to get your veggies in if that is all you can handle. Is there any Paleo baking that wouldn't be considered not W30? If you must bake for your co-workers to get it out of your system why not do paleo baking and not tell them until after they nom nom nom...maybe a way to open people's eyes a bit more. 

Paleo baking is out, unless it is baking an acorn squash ;). It's all just treats anyways, paleo or not.  If I bake anything, I won't be able to taste it.  Mind you, I am not craving anything and would probably be okay!

I just visited Eating Evolved :wub: .  Purchase made, to be stowed away for post whole30 consumption! :ph34r:

One of the joys I have about baking IS the fussiness and precision!  i can't be distracted and this is very calming to me.  Add the spicy, warm aromas and it is a very lovely way for me to pass an autumn or winter afternoon!

Rescue dog update: not a match :(.  There is no irony that she is a female dog and they call them "bitches".  I have a bite on my finger to prove it!  I realize she was scared and not in a comfortable position, but that was no reason for my finger to end up in between her teeth!

The search will continue...

Meanwhile, Paco and I headed to the park today.  Miss Mary if you read this, know that Paco and I adore Fort Snelling and have been there almost every weekend since you mentioned it!

Home and a delicious plate of eggs over sauteed spinach and fried plantains on the side.  Tasty!  

I'm sorry that the rescue dog didn't work out and that you got bit. That is no fun at all. :(

It turned out to be a good thing.  It made me stop and wonder why I might consider rocking my very comfortable boat!  I really do feel like I have the best dog, and I don't need to look for another.  If one finds us, that might be a different story :).

post-6147-0-56432400-1381689002_thumb.jp

Today has been a lovely day so far, but more work to do!  I slept in until 8 (no tiger's blood yet but sleep of the dead has arrived!  :D ), got up, stripped the bed so I could wash all of the linens, got chicken stock brewing, and then Paco and I headed out for a walk.  We had a delightful 5.25 mile walk, and then I came home FAMISHED.  Yes, stupid me didn't eat before going.  I scarfed down a banana and sunflower butter, then made roasted acorn squash stuffed with pork sausage.  Mind you, I had to actually make the sausage; the co-op only had ground pork so I added sage, s&p and then got the idea to add spinach in as it cooked and added nutmeg too.  Delish!  I also had 3 fried eggs.  Brunch of champions.

I now have beef bone broth as well as chicken on the stove.  I have more gnarly chicken feet in this batch.  I can put up with the sight of it for the amazing chicken jello I end up with!

For the rest of the day?  A run to Target, make the bed now, make another batch of chocolate chili and find the pseudo-bacon recipe as the co-op DID have pork belly yesterday :).  I am also making some more cauliflower soup, and getting veggies prepped for the week.

Yawn.  Did I mention tiger's blood has not arrived yet?

Happy Sunday!

Hi runninglawyer88!

It is funny; for my first whole30, I could have given you a long list of the meals I was enjoying.  Pretty much anything out of Well Fed was a winner!  This time, getting excited about my food seems to be a struggle.  I do, however, remember this same feeling the first time. I would be hungry, sit down to my meal and get full very quickly. 

I have my moments that with a heavy sigh I watch people who appear very fit, ordering sugar filled coffees along with a slab of some pumpkin-y goodness.  I have "why not me" moments.  I think my body is definitely fighting me this time around!

Day 14...off to eat my gazillionth hard boiled egg.

Happy Monday!

I always marvel at how quickly your whole30s go by. Day 14th already? 

Yay for chicken feet. I remember talking to Susan (btw, where is Susan?) about chicken pedi as she bought ones that had fingernails on. Too funny. Marrow bones are fantastic in broths as well.

Hear, hear about "the moments". You've read enough of my venting, so you know I can commiserate. On the other hand I think it's a double edged sword. I am not sure I'd do well if I didn't have reaction/consequences after consuming some foods. Well, we have better business of taking care of ourselves rather than thinking of well-being of a girl chugging Starbucks sugar bomb. 

Wishing TB to come to you soooooon!  :wub:

Gahh. I know the feeling. I'm usually one of those "fit people" but when I'm thinner, leaner, and fitter it does come at a cost. I eat pretty clean and when I don't I do too much cardio to combat the guilt that comes with it. That's something I'm still trying to fight. This summer, after my wedding, my husband kind of pushed me to let go and I did and then piled on ~18 pounds in a few months. My body probably needed a break and the constant caloric deficiency (despite maintaining my weight) undoubtedly suppressed my metabolism. So now I'm just trying to find balance...trying to trust myself with food and exercise instead of doing too much and eating too little or eating too much and then working it off to compensate.

As I shared with someone recently, I am probably 20 pounds more than what I call my "happy weight".  The thing is, when I look back to that weight and my lifestyle during that time, I was doing punishing amounts of cardio and calorie counting.  There was guilt involved in every food decision. Is that really happy?   While I may be a size 8 instead of a size 4 as a result, I can actually enjoy a long walk with my dog without worrying about how many calories I burned and if it will "negate" whatever food I had eaten that day, or had planned to eat later in the day.

So.

My whole30 became a whole14.5 last night.  It's all good.  No excuses.  We went out to dinner, I knew it was going to be a landmine, and I dove right onto a mine with my order or wine. 

The challenge for me is to not let that one meal define all of my choices going forward. If I can whole14 it, and then have an off-road meal, then get right back to another whole14, I would say I am balanced!

I am not going to go 16 more days and say, yay, look at me, I did a whole30!  I did a successful whole14 and I am good with that :)

Archived