Second Whole30(++) starting 7/18

befabdaily

This morning I got off a red-eye flight after a 5-day conference trip in which I attended nonstop science sessions, logged over 20,000 steps per day (8 miles or so), got sketchy amounts of sleep due to a snoring roomie, drank quite a lot of wine and cocktails, and ate (at various times) cream-filled churros, cheese, and bread. My body feels stressed.

Today is a day of absolute rest. The heaviest things I've lifted all day were grocery bags at Trader Joe's as I restocked my fridge with protein and veggies. I napped for four hours post red-eye and will go to bed early tonight.

Right now I still feel pretty good over all with cleared-up sinuses and mostly happy digestion about 4 weeks after my recent Whole30 ended. During most of the interval, I kept dairy and grains (my prime suspects for health issues) to a minimum, but definitely ate a bunch of Asian foods with noncompliant sauces, rice, and wine. I do have a shoulder pain that is not going away and I'm going to see my doc to get a referral to a PT, so I am not going to be doing much upper-body exercise until that is resolved.

My goals for this time around?

-- avoid snacking (especially excess fruit)

-- cook more actual recipes (as opposed to plates of plain meat and veg)

I say this is a Whole30, but I'm probably going to try to go straight on through until my annual physical in Sept.

Meal 1 happened at about 1 p.m. today -- coffee with coconut milk, 2 eggs, half a large avocado. I'm getting ready to make a red curry with beef, red peppers and sweet potato for dinner. I'll post starting measurements and things tomorrow when I've equilibrated a little more.

Thanks y'all!

I actually weighed and measured myself this morning.

5'7", 178.5 lbs.

Bodyfat: either 22.0 or 41.0, depending on whether I use my Tanita scale on "athlete" or "adult" settings. :rolleyes: I'm guessing it's about right in the middle of these or a little lower. A body measurement based calculation I've used in the past puts me at about 27-28%.

Chest: 40"

Waist: 31.5"

Navel line: 35" (this re-puffed a bit when I started drinking wine again)

Hip: 43"

I started the day with 2 eggs, a handful of olives, half a large avocado, and a peach, and coffee with coconut milk.

I'm really thinking about weaning off coffee this month in addition to my other goals. I don't like that I feel like I have to have it, even if it is just a couple of cups in the a.m. "Needing" it makes me do things like drinking icky conference coffee with lots of sugar because that's all there is.

Day 3: It's touch and go whether I'll work out today. My throat is sore and I think I'm getting a cold. My appetite is kind of flat, too.

Breakfast:

2 eggs

rest of the avocado gazpacho

Lunch:

Beef/sweet potato/red pepper curry

Snack:

Peach

2 eggs

Crio Bru with coconut milk

Dinner:

Roasted chicken

Grape tomatoes

Melon

I am full on sick with a cold and just eating what is easiest to reach. I feel like my body wants more food.

Day 4: Ugh. Sick. I walked a mile in the sun between naps. That was my WOD.

Breakfast:

2 eggs

1 cup blackberries with coconut milk

coffee with coconut milk

Lunch:

roasted chicken

paleo mayo

cucumber and tomato salad

slice of melon

Dinner:

ground beef

roasted tomato sauce

zucchini noodles

pineapple spears

tbsp coconut butter

All my food's been compliant, but I gave in and have been taking NyQuil/DayQuil to deal with the body aches and fever. On the upside, I've been navigating this cold steroid free so far and I'm not nearly as drowning in snot (TMI?) as I would have been previously.

Day 5: Still sick-ish, but less sick than yesterday. I walked 2.5 miles in the sun and am contemplating a few sets of short bridges for my back. But I'm also contemplating just respecting that I'm still weak and achy.

Breakfast: 2 eggs, avocado, cherry tomatoes, coffee with coconut milk.

Snack: chicken bone broth with lemon and salt. Bite of chicken, bite of coconut butter.

Lunch: cucumber and tomato salad, roasted chicken, paleo mayo, blackberries with coconut milk.

Dinner: shrimp and spinach green curry over small roasted sweet potato, 2 pineapple spears.

So, not that I'm going to weigh throughout this thing or anything, but my belly was feeling different enough already this morning that I thought I would check in to see what happened.

I lost 3.5 pounds in 5 days, bringing me back to the weight (175) I was at at the end of my last Whole30. Presumably, water, inflammation and what have you, but I found it interesting that it would just bounce right back off that quickly. Now the scale is hidden away until the end of the 30 days.

Day 6. WOD: 3 mile walk. I started doing some squats and my not-quite-better head immediately got woo-woo, so, no.

Breakfast: 2 eggs, avocado, cup of Tuscan melon, coffee with coconut milk

Lunch: shrimp and spinach green curry, blackberries with coconut milk

Dinner: ground beef, roasted tomato sauce, zucchini "noodles", a few macadamias and blackberries while preparing dinner

I feel tired and low today, but I got to work and finished a manuscript. I don't know if the tiredness is sickness, or 6th day carb flu woes.

Day 7: WOD: 3 mile walk, 3 x 20 short bridges, belly dance class

Breakfast: 3-egg plum omelet, avocado

Lunch: Cucumber, tomato and olive salad, roasted chicken, paleo mayo, a few cherries

Snack: a big handful of cashews while waiting for dinner to cook. Whoops.

Dinner: Broccoli, paleo mayo, pan-fried tilapia with almond crust, peach

Day 8: I'm still sick, afflicted with really gross post-nasal drip and feeling like it will never go away. No walk today -- it was pouring. I have to get back in the swing of things but I guess it's going to be slowly.

Breakfast: 3-egg plum omelet, avocado, coffee with coconut milk

Lunch: Asparagus, tomato and olive salad, roasted chicken

Snack: Crio Bru with coconut milk, about a cup of cherry tomatoes

Dinner: Pan-fried tilapia with almond crust, spaghetti squash, tomato sauce

Day 9: Sinuses still clogged with rubber bands. Man, you'd think being on Whole30 would help with this but no. Other than that I'm feeling pretty good. This morning I walked a mile and a half. I have been hungry for protein all day and felt like I wanted to eat more than usual so I went with it.

Breakfast: roasted chicken, canteloupe, coffee with coconut milk

Lunch: 3 fried eggs, chicken liver, blueberries with coconut milk, banana

Dinner: handful of olives, steak, zucchini noodles with tomato sauce

This was kind of a fruity day, but I'm low on veggies and farmers market day is Saturday.

Day 10: I slept quite a lot yesterday and finally think my cold (or whatever) is over. WOD: 2.5 mile walk, 6 x 12 supported squats, 3 x 20 standing calf raises.

Breakfast: coffee with coconut milk, avocado, 3-egg plum frittata

Lunch: banana, cherry tomatoes, steak

Snack: blueberries, chicken, macadamia nuts, crio bru with coconut milk

Dinner: Pork tenderloins with balsamic fig reduction, fresh red peppers

Day 11. I can't really believe I'm already 1/3 of the way through another 30. Since I didn't pay too close attention to my goals (especially re: not snacking) while I was sick, I took the opportunity to sign up for the new newsletter thingy and I will use that to help focus me in August. I also bought an on-sale 20 class Zumba card that runs out on Sept. 20, so an additional goal will be to get to Zumba 3 times a week instead of once or twice, for the next few weeks.

Anyway. WOD: National Dance Day 1 1/2 hour Zumba class. Oh my quads are so sore -- yesterday's squats and then this?

Breakfast: coffee with coconut milk, 3 eggs, avocado

Post workout: macadamia nuts, bite of chicken, big cup of bone broth with lemon and salt, Crio Bru with coconut milk.

Lunch: Grassfed beef liver, zucchini noodles with olives and oven-roasted tomato sauce

Snack: Mango. I really wanted this. I think actually I was thirsty though.

Dinner: Pan fried tilapia with almond crust, small sweet potato

Day 12: My quads are quads of eternal soreness. Today's WOD: 2.5 mile walk.

Breakfast: coffee with coconut milk, 3 eggs, avocado

Lunch: Grassfed beef liver, cucumber and tomato salad, peach

Dinner: Chicken thigh, zucchini noodles with olives and oven-roasted tomato sauce

I think I'm hitting the reduced appetite portion of the program -- I am totally stuffed after a piece of skinless chicken and a big bowl of veggies.

Day 13: WOD -- 2.5 mile morning walk, 3x10 bird dogs, 3x10 flat knee raises

Breakfast: 2 eggs, avocado, 1/2 sweet potato, coffee with coconut milk

Lunch: Cucumber and tomato salad, pork with fig reduction, cherries

Dinner: Chicken breast with paleo mayo, sweet potato fritters, peach with coconut cream, a few lychees

I felt really hungry and a little dried out today. I think yesterday (now that I look at it) was accidentally really low-carb and I was feeling it. Hence the sweet potato "pig out" today. Also I have to remember that a cucumber and tomato salad, big as it may look, has essentially zero calories.

Day 14: WOD -- 3.3 mile morning walk, 3 x 35 short bridges, 2 x 10 wall slides (for shoulder mobility), 1.5 hour belly dance class.

Breakfast:

e1249caadb1211e1a49622000a1cdf6e_6.jpg

Lunch:

4e4fa496db2c11e1a15422000a1e8687_6.jpg

Dinner: Banana, spring mix salad, blackened grouper

Post dance-class: more of the fish, a few spoonfuls of coconut cream

361d7076dbca11e18b3e1231380f90e0_5.jpg9f38f6bedbf411e1abf922000a1c04b0_5.jpg1bb2e5ccdc2411e19a5322000a1d0353_5.jpg

Breakfast: coffee with coconut milk, eggs scrambled with spinach and olives, banana, small avocado

Lunch: big ass salad, pork with fig reduction, peach with coconut cream

Snack: crio bru with coconut cream, a few macadamias (I know I pledged to reduce snacking, this is my give-in to "girl time")

Dinner: zoodle "spaghetti" with oven roasted tomato sauce, grassfed beef patty. The "dessert" in the little blue bowl is the bounty of chicken livers that I found inside the chicken that I'm roasting for upcoming lunches.

WOD: damn, I was so tired and depleted from a super-long, super exercisey day yesterday, where I literally passed out as soon as I became horizontal, and then this morning I had to get up and take items to a consignment sale checkin before I left for work, that I did not even feel like walking. I took about 20 minutes of mini-walks during the day on campus. I have this little mini-walk path that takes me down and back up 10 flights of stairs and totals about 7 minutes in the sun, and I usually do it a couple of times during the day.

ETA: I just clicked the little button in my Whole30 e-mail, and was rewarded with a shower of positive brain chemicals!

There's some new content in there, some stuff that will be repetitive especially if you've been around here for a while. After having seen only two e-mails, I'd say it's like having an extra, new blog post to read every day, which works for me since I'm doing this alone in the real world.

Archived