My house smells like Broccoli, Welcome to day 1 (again)!

Really!

So, I had tried to do this on my own about a month ago, writing pithy little blog comments on Facebook for my friends and family and then I got tired of exposing so much raw emotion and I quit, I went right back to the sugar, it wasn't like amazing, it was good, but it wasn't super fabulous, just okay.   But then sugar lead to bread, and bread let to McDonalds and Jack in the Box and Taco Time  and dun dun dah  COKE, canned Coke, McDonalds Coke, Mexican Coke in those awesome class bottles and before I knew my ankles were the size of baby elephant ankles and the swirling mass of moodiness and despair that follows binge eating was back and I knew that was not good!  So I have come back to this eating plan, I felt great for the first 10 days that I did it, I felt righteous and smart, and proud of eating a healthy veggie filled diet that surprisingly enough my "I am "Preservative MAN" husband also enjoyed.  I think he was secretly a little sad to see the sugar back in the house. And I also decided to get some help, not just help from my friends and family  (love them, but they have their own stuff) but from others who get it and who are in the fight, so I joined this forum and signed up for my daily emails.  And so, day one begins in a house filled with the smell of broccoli, 4 20oz water classes lined up like little soldiers on my counter and the NomNom Paolo crockpot chicken recipe open on the iPad.  Let's do this thing!

:ph34r:

I started my first Whole30 this morning! Already hit a small roadblock with 8 eggs in the house for 6 people (some family staying with the four of us for a couple of days). I stressed about it and dreamed that my mother ate my steak so I had nothing for dinner, dreamed that I was halfway through a choc-covered muesli bar then realised I wasn't supposed to eat it (aren't you supposed to have these weird dreams much later - not before you start? - I don't even eat muesli bars!). Anyway, I ended up abandoning fancy-egg plans and just soft-boiled them all, took two and left the rest for people to fight over. I had the eggs of a bed of lettuce but it wasn't anything like what I'd planned! Still getting my head around it all. :wacko:

I started my first Whole30 this morning! Already hit a small roadblock with 8 eggs in the house for 6 people (some family staying with the four of us for a couple of days). I stressed about it and dreamed that my mother ate my steak so I had nothing for dinner, dreamed that I was halfway through a choc-covered muesli bar then realised I wasn't supposed to eat it (aren't you supposed to have these weird dreams much later - not before you start? - I don't even eat muesli bars!). Anyway, I ended up abandoning fancy-egg plans and just soft-boiled them all, took two and left the rest for people to fight over. I had the eggs of a bed of lettuce but it wasn't anything like what I'd planned! Still getting my head around it all. :wacko:

If you weren't restricted with your eggs, I would have had 3-4, more vegies and added a fat :)

So, I had tried to do this on my own about a month ago, writing pithy little blog comments on Facebook for my friends and family and then I got tired of exposing so much raw emotion and I quit, I went right back to the sugar, it wasn't like amazing, it was good, but it wasn't super fabulous, just okay.   But then sugar lead to bread, and bread let to McDonalds and Jack in the Box and Taco Time  and dun dun dah  COKE, canned Coke, McDonalds Coke, Mexican Coke in those awesome class bottles and before I knew my ankles were the size of baby elephant ankles and the swirling mass of moodiness and despair that follows binge eating was back and I knew that was not good!  So I have come back to this eating plan, I felt great for the first 10 days that I did it, I felt righteous and smart, and proud of eating a healthy veggie filled diet that surprisingly enough my "I am "Preservative MAN" husband also enjoyed.  I think he was secretly a little sad to see the sugar back in the house. And I also decided to get some help, not just help from my friends and family  (love them, but they have their own stuff) but from others who get it and who are in the fight, so I joined this forum and signed up for my daily emails.  And so, day one begins in a house filled with the smell of broccoli, 4 20oz water classes lined up like little soldiers on my counter and the NomNom Paolo crockpot chicken recipe open on the iPad.  Let's do this thing!

:ph34r:

As a good friend of mine is fond of saying..."Do it to death" meaning do it like its never been done before!! GOOD LUCK!!!

On Day 2, I'm finding I do better if I just modify something I eat regularly - like steak with lots of veges, just left off the corn; or mushroom and shallot omelette without the cheese, and compliant prosciutto instead of bacon - instead of messing around with new recipes. I will certainly try new things regularly, I always do, but if a new recipe doesn't work out it's harder to find a quick replacement when you can't have cheese on toast! I've looked through my favourites in my recipe magazines and found plenty of things I can have as is, or if I leave out the teaspoon of sugar or dash of soy or whatever.

Shopping trip tomorrow so I need to finish planning food for the next few days. And school holidays are over so at lunchtime I'll only have to cook for myself, which makes things easier.

Archived