Starting October 14th - anyone want to join me?

primalamy

Hi, I have decided to do another Whole 30, since my first one in July ended up being awesome. I have been gettting off track with my eating lately, and it's time to get back on the wagon. We had a great support thread for my first Whole 30, so I am hoping this one is too. :)

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Amy! I'm going to start my first Whole30 October 14th - feeling a little bit nervous and excited at the same time. Hopefully we can support each other along the way. Anyone else starting on Monday?

Going to go write out a shopping list now :-)

I'll join you, I am on Day 35 but had a couple of reintros over the weekend as I was away from home. Nothing processed and no grains so I am happy but would like the discipline of another 30 days. 

So Day 1 tomorrow :)

I'm in. This is my first Whole30 and I think I'll be needing some support. I'm doing this with my sister-in-law which should make it fun. (At least I'll have a cohort for dinner at the IL's!) A friend is also doing something similar to a Whole30, but not a strict Whole30. So hopefully between real life and internet support I can make this a success.

I'm in! I've gotten off track and am starting to feel not so great anymore. Time to return to the basics!

Question: I'm looking for a good slow cooker cookbook. Anybody have any recommendations? I love to use my crockpot, especially now that cooler weather is here.

I am starting a Whole 30 tomorrow as well! My almost 8yo daughter will be doing a modified Whole30 along with me. 

I did my first Whole30 about a year ago, and while I have done a pretty good job sticking to our paleo lifestyle, the last few months have been crazy and our healthy cooking and eating was one of the hardest hit parts of our lives. Can't wait to get back on track and get my body healed up!

With the cold weather moving in (we are in Montana), what is everyone's favorite soup recipe? 

Tina

I'm in! I've gotten off track and am starting to feel not so great anymore. Time to return to the basics!

Question: I'm looking for a good slow cooker cookbook. Anybody have any recommendations? I love to use my crockpot, especially now that cooler weather is here.

I haven't purchased one yet, but there are a few Paleo Slowcooker cookbooks on my to-buy list. Also, this post from Nom Nom Paleo lists a bunch of slow cooker recipes. 

My old favorite soup recipe was potato leek soup.  I'll have to look it up to paleocize it.  I already had pulled the dairy out but I'll need to find something for the potatoes.  Lots of recipes on line - looks like they either used cauliflower or zucchini instead of potatoes, or they used squash.

I'm most likely going to dive in on the 15th...need a day to get prepped.

This is my first Whole30, but I recently finished a week-long, whole-foods vegetarian detox that was grain-free, sugar-free, dairy-free and egg-free (it did included soaked legumes) and I felt so good off of the grains, sugar and dairy...but felt like, while it was OK to do the vegan thing for a week, it wasn't a good long-term option. I was actually vegan for many years, and although it was good in the beginning, it ultimately depleted me and probably exacerbated some long-term health issues. I am now mostly pescetarian (veg + fish + eggs), though I've had organic chicken out on a few occasions over the past year (still haven't cooked it, myself). Strong visceral aversion to red meat, can't do it.

I'm wondering whether fish and eggs can be enough protein (and how much fish and eggs one can possibly eat in a day) or whether I should include some soaked legumes from the vegetarian Whole30 list? I could potentially do some organic chicken, but I'm not mentally ready to prep and cook it...would have to pick it up, cooked, at a restaurant that is not super-convenient and a bit pricey, so that would be a few times a week at most.

Tracy, I just made a cauliflower, turnip and leek soup tonight. The addition of turnips was actually because we had a few left over from our CSA share this past week. You could also do some other root vegetable. We enjoyed it!

Here is the recipe (seasonings to taste):

CAULIFLOWER, TURNIP AND LEEK SOUP

Olive oil
4 leeks, white and light green parts, chopped
3 medium salad (or perhaps smaller other) turnips, diced

1.5 lbs cauliflower florets
8 cups stock (I would suggest vegetable-that-is-not-too-tomato-ish or chicken)
2 bay leaves
White pepper
Sea Salt
Chili powder, salt-free
Parsley

Saute leeks in olive oil.
Add in turnips and cauliflower, and sauté some more.
Add stock, bay leaves, pepper, sea salt and chili powder to taste.
(Note: If using chili powder with salt, use less salt).
Bring to a boil, then simmer until vegetables are tender.
Remove bay leaves, and blend.
Return soup to the pot.
Add a handful of chopped parsley (or a spoon of dried, if you don't have fresh).
Adjust seasonings. If too thick, add a little water or stock.

I'm wondering whether fish and eggs can be enough protein (and how much fish and eggs one can possibly eat in a day) or whether I should include some soaked legumes from the vegetarian Whole30 list? I could potentially do some organic chicken, but I'm not mentally ready to prep and cook it...would have to pick it up, cooked, at a restaurant that is not super-convenient and a bit pricey, so that would be a few times a week at most.

:

Don't mix & match the food lists - you can either do a vegetarian whole30 or a standard whole30 (no beans!). There's a huge variety of fish & seafood to choose from though!

I'm going to jump in today as well! I did a whole30 back in January, then a whole27+13 in June/July. I'm pretty good at eating paleo the rest of the time, but have a bad habit of nosediving into chocolate in the afternoons. The past fortnight has been particularly bad, my teeth hurt, my head is gunged up with snot (sorry, TMI!), I'm not sleeping as well as i know i can & my zest for life is slipping away. So today i'm making a stand! Hello everybody! :D

I started my 2nd Whole30 today, as well! Just like I thought, I had "reintroduced" chocolate and other harmful stuff to my diet, so it is definitely time to start over. Sugar is bad for me, so bye bye sugar, my dear friend! :P 

Hi Primal Amy (we did our first 30 together! remember?). and hello everyone else!

I did my first whole 30 with Primal Amy in late July / early August. My plan this time around is to focus on avoiding histamine rich foods. I don't think I'll have much trouble with one exception..."avoid leftover meat". I may have to be flexible on this suggestion. I like to cook up a few meals at a time, so I'm not in the kitchen for hours every day.

I've been eating 95% whole 30 since finishing my first round. I thought another round would prepare me (and remind me of how good it feels) before the holidays arrive.

Breakfast this morning was sweet potato / coconut milk soup (unbelievably delicuious from janssushibar.com) and a grass fed ground beef skillet with onions, peppers, hot chiles and garlic.

Lunch will be chicken (with salt, pepper, garlic and paprika) I cooked yesterday (leftover meat problem), butternut squash and green beans.

Dinner is Rogan Josh (a lamb curry stew from Well Fed --- this cookbook is UNBELIEVABLE and no, I don't work for them) and more green beans or braised cabbage if I have time.

My advice for the first timers......don't skimp on starchy vegetables (sweet potatoes, all squashes, beets, carrots, turnips, jicama, etc). These are so satisfying (to me) and make me feel like I'm not missing out on anything. Also.....don't be stingy with fat; it'll keep you feeling full. I rarely snacked my first time around. I didn't need to; I wasn't hungry! Before Whole 30, I would snack several times a day. If I didn't, I'd get headaches and stomach aches. Now I'm free of that! I can go 6 hours between meals with no snacks.

Here's to Day 1. Godspeed to you all!

Hi,

I'm a day late and a dollar short but I'd like to join you all. I'll be starting my Whole 30 tomorrow, Tuesday 15th October. Today I'm clearing out the cupboards and making my grocery list.

My plan is pretty much to follow the guidelines given in the book. I can't eat eggs, avocados or almonds because they give me bad stomach upsets. I'm also going to avoid coffee for the same reason; I currently drink coffee because I like the taste but it makes me feel a bit nauseous so I'm just going to cut it out. I'm very interested in what foods are my trigger stomach upset foods.

I too am a huge fan of the Well Fed cookbook, it is so user friendly and I love the recipes.

Good luck!

-Lynne

Archived