Starting October 14th - anyone want to join me?

primalamy

Thanks for the responses everyone.  I am hoping if I stick it out I will see the results everyone talks about towards the end.  By the end of this Whole30 I will have the answer on what kind of arthritis I have from the Dr. and we can make more informed decisions on what to avoid.  I might have to go right into AIP Whole30 and see if that helps. Wondering if I should do a little reintroduction first,  I am curious to reintroduce dairy (I mainly miss a little cheese, not as much as the first couple weeks though). I still could go for a brownie occasionally, but since my cravings are pretty well gone it isn't overpowering to pass up.  I actually miss some of the hearty fall soups (taco soup, chili, chicken and rice soups, all homemade).  

I know I need to play with food this week to get some new meal combos in there so I am interested and not going through the motions, I need to find ways to creatively enjoy the process too.  Some days it is ok to be on auto pilot (busy day away from home with packed meals) but when I am at home and have the time I need to be more creative and interested in preparing my foods.

It has gotten colder here, and I did get pretty chilled while hunting a few times last week I am not sure that has affected the pain levels.  I am still new at connecting all the dots with the pain.  I tend to overdo things for a few days because my creativity and energy make me want to do amazing things, then the pain and stiffness catches up with me and I spend several days hurting and tired.:(  I want to feel better all the time!  I have so many things I want to tackle.

Hope everyone is having a fabulous week 3 and starting to feel the good stuff!

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The hubs are I are still hanging in there.  Getting a little bored with our meals so I am going to look online for some new ideas.  Also signed up for a door to door organic produce plan so it will be fun to work with a random batch of goodies!

The sugar lizard is reaching dragon level with all the Halloween treats that keep popping up.  Luckily we are not handing out candy this year (we cannot be trusted) so there is no tempation at home. 

Mentally I think my relationship with sweets is getting better.  I think I feel good enough that I don't want the holiday donuts because they are there, but I just want the special cider one since they are only made this time of year.  Much better than just shoveling them in just because!  We'll see how I feel in a few weeks.  I hope it keeps improving and I won't want one period!

I can't believe I did this during Halloween!  Also a little grateful that I am on a whole30 to keep me from overdoing it too!

I agree - the stress of Halloween is making this month difficult, and we don't even like sweets!  I'll be glad when tomorrow is over.  My kids both have severe forms of ADHD and have been ricocheting around the house all month.  It is making home life very difficult.  I am gearing up, yet again, to put the kids on a Whole30 starting November 1.  I have found it incredibly hard to keep the rest of my family paleo, but I think I have enough experience doing this for myself that I will be successful this time.  I guess our reward will be a lovely Thanksgiving meal.  It's not the sugar we have trouble with, it's the grain, as it is easy to make sandwiches for lunch boxes and hand out goldfish for snacks.  That's the part my kids are going to rebel about - not looking forward to it.

As for me, I have continue to stray every so slightly from this current Whole30 each day - had some tortilla chips yesterday, had a chocolate today.  Gearing up for Friday for a re-start, again.

Thanks for the responses everyone.  I am hoping if I stick it out I will see the results everyone talks about towards the end.  By the end of this Whole30 I will have the answer on what kind of arthritis I have from the Dr. and we can make more informed decisions on what to avoid.  I might have to go right into AIP Whole30 and see if that helps. Wondering if I should do a little reintroduction first,  I am curious to reintroduce dairy (I mainly miss a little cheese, not as much as the first couple weeks though). I still could go for a brownie occasionally, but since my cravings are pretty well gone it isn't overpowering to pass up.  I actually miss some of the hearty fall soups (taco soup, chili, chicken and rice soups, all homemade).  

I know I need to play with food this week to get some new meal combos in there so I am interested and not going through the motions, I need to find ways to creatively enjoy the process too.  Some days it is ok to be on auto pilot (busy day away from home with packed meals) but when I am at home and have the time I need to be more creative and interested in preparing my foods.

It has gotten colder here, and I did get pretty chilled while hunting a few times last week I am not sure that has affected the pain levels.  I am still new at connecting all the dots with the pain.  I tend to overdo things for a few days because my creativity and energy make me want to do amazing things, then the pain and stiffness catches up with me and I spend several days hurting and tired. :(  I want to feel better all the time!  I have so many things I want to tackle.

Hope everyone is having a fabulous week 3 and starting to feel the good stuff!

Jules - I hear you.  I have chronic joint pain, too, which I found did disappear the first time I did a casein-free grain-free diet.  The memory of "absence of pain" was what prompted me to try this Whole30 thing.  And I do believe it is working.  When I do stray from Whole30, of course then I attribute every ache to going off plan.  It has gotten to the point that I really don't want to stray, because the bone ache is just not worth it.  Hang in there.

I cooked up a bunch of chicken breasts earlier today and I just finished prepping some salmon cakes.  I've never had salmon cakes but I love crab cakes and zucchini cakes and I like salmon in general so I expect it to be a hit.  They are in the frig chilling now, I can't wait to cook them. :)

I empathize with everyone stressing over Halloween.  So far we've decided not to participate in Halloween events this year....seems like we do the whole trick or treating thing every other year.  The kids are used to hit and miss on this holiday and I really don't like Halloween anyway.  They seem to be doing ok about it, but our church is putting on a harvest party tomorrow they'd like to go to.  I am not sure it would be a good idea for me, not sure how long this craving-less state will hold out...I read that the sugar monster can come back around now so I don't want to take any chances.

I want to get a little more creative with my veggies this week too.  I got a little more out of the norm with fruits this week as well.  I got mangoes, pomegranate, kiwis, and raspberries (raspberries are my new "candy" they are so satisfying and a few go a long ways).  This time of year they are huge treat cost wise.lol  I also shopped at a different store than normal for a change of pace in hopes I'd see something I wouldn't normally choose etc.  I had luck finding a few things out of the ordinary so that was good.  I have plans to try a recipe for zucchini cakes as a fun way to have more veggies etc.  

One problem I am facing is feeling like no one can relate in my real life......I had a friend over today and I can't help but feel like I sound so far out there when I talk about all the changes I've made.  I have tried so many things that haven't worked in the past I hate feeling like I am making a fool of myself again (even though I have high hopes this will help me).  I feel like I am having an identity crisis, I feel like I don't really know myself, the foods I used to like can't be a part of my life any longer if I want to be healthy, and my way of relating to people in my life is changing and I am struggling a little with it.  I don't want to feel like an outcast or like "that" person who always wants people to make allowances for her eating limitations (when they don't know the first thing about it).  I keep my restrictions to myself in most instances....but at the same time I want to be able to share my journey.

I just finished the first part of the TH1 TH2 challenge to determine immune response for the arthritis diagnosis (he also did a blood panel).  TH1 seemed to mildly improve my stiffness and I was almost pain free for a few hours, but then as the afternoon wore on I felt it creep back again.  Also a bunch of mucus let go from my head too.  Strange, I have no idea what that means and I have to do the TH2 tomorrow.  I am still baffled that at age 35 I am being diagnosed as having arthritis?  Really?!  It makes sense, my Grandmother had it, my mother has it, my sister (12 yrs older) has it...so I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but darn it I am!

I hope to keep working on recipes and new meal ideas.  I haven't tried many recipes in my ISWF because they are cut off weird on my Kindle version and I just need to open my hard copy to write down a few so I won't get food on my book. lol  I have 2 people that want to borrow the book and even though I have a copy on my kindle I am still leery of letting the hard copy out of my hands.

Thank you everyone for the support, it certainly helps to have this place to go to when I feel out of sorts due to this whole process.

@jules

I'm on the AIP too. I have Graves' disease which is autoimmune thyroid disease. I have felt some relief of symptoms in the past two weeks through eating this way. My hair is not falling out as much. I was really nervous that I would be bald soon at 34. I also have less joint pain. I am lucky to have been off wheat for a long time so I'm not missing anything there. I have been roasting a winter squash and keeping it on hand to mix with all kinds of things to eat (it's my new tomato sauce). I stir it into everything. I make turkey meatballs every couple of days with lots of tiny chopped up veggies to give them flavor and its something easy to eat when you don't feel like eating any meat. I make a crockpot roast once a week and throw that meat in lots of stuff. I use turmeric a lot as a spice because I find it pretty flavorful. I think that it is really important to have lots of variety of veggies to keep it interesting. And lastly, I bought that AIP cookbook that was listed on the whole9 site. I know that fruit is supposed to be 1-2 a day but I always eat 2 servings. It's not so much the sugar that I am craving, but the flavor of something different...I really miss nuts and I am always jealous of everyone's mention of eating them.

I too wish that I didn't have to eat this way to feel healthy...but I remind myself of how often I hear other people complaining about how badly they feel but they wouldn't try this diet because it's too extreme meanwhile they feel horrible all the time but get to treat themselves to ice cream or cake. I just think that if there is someway that we can feel better, why not try it. I would love to be able to have more control over my health. I just remind myself, It's just 30 days. I don't want to feel horrible all the time and treat myself with cake....i'd rather feel good most of the time and treat myself to not feeling bloated and sore with a balding head. I don't know, i'm rambling because i struggle with it too. I have a birthday dinner to go to on Fri and I know that i will get the "come on, just tonight." And my family will think that i am a spaz. And i certainly know people who think that giving up gluten is just to make the person feel "special". It's so ridiculous.

I think that if it feels stigmatizing, you can always say that you are on an elimination diet because you are having a reaction to food but can't figure out which ones until you do the elimination diet...this seems more acceptable to people for some reason (not that anyone needs a reason from you).

Anyway, you are not alone. We are out, struggling to figure it out with you. Good luck with your new veggies and let me know if you need a meatball recipe :)

I empathize with the Halloween thing....usually I buy candy I dislike and won't eat (and just pilfer one or two favorite pieces from my kids' stashes), but my husband bought the candy this year and came back with all my favorites! In all fairness, I have not discussed the Whole30 with him (he knows I've been avoiding certain foods, but I hadn't mentioned the program, specifically, to him until tonight), but....damn! This is tough.

Happy Halloween.  

All is well here.  I'm busy with school work, but have made time for food prep and even a couple of new recipes.  I made Ras El Hanout spice blend from Well Fed yesterday and made the velvety butternut squash with a grass-fed ground beef skillet with onions and red cabbage.  It was great!  

I have had three wobbly days now so this attempt at Whole 30 has failed - although I did get to day 50 before falling by the wayside. I knew I shouldn't have posted a success story! It always happens if I blow my own trumpet :(

Anyway - three days with wheat and some sugar has seen my ankles and feet bloat badly - I had been so pleased with my newly slim(mer) ankles and feet too. Anyway - I know what to do about it and that will happen from tomorrow morning. A strict Whole 30 to go with my Whole30 Plank Challenge. 

I'll be leaving this thread now but I wish you all the luck with completing your 30 days. 

I have had three wobbly days now so this attempt at Whole 30 has failed - although I did get to day 50 before falling by the wayside. I knew I shouldn't have posted a success story! It always happens if I blow my own trumpet :(

Anyway - three days with wheat and some sugar has seen my ankles and feet bloat badly - I had been so pleased with my newly slim(mer) ankles and feet too. Anyway - I know what to do about it and that will happen from tomorrow morning. A strict Whole 30 to go with my Whole30 Plank Challenge. 

I'll be leaving this thread now but I wish you all the luck with completing your 30 days. 

Sharyn - I'm sorry you had these wobbly days and I'm sorry you are leaving the group.  I wish you well on your efforts and I'm thinking about joining you on that Plank Challenge!

I hope you AIP ladies find some relief!

I'll be missing Halloween tonight, I have to work late.  I understand the misgivings everyone has about it, but my son is so excited to get dressed up and scare people, I don't even think he cares about the candy.  He has missed Trick or Treating the last two years (last year due to Sandy and the year before to the big snow/ice storm that hit the NE US.  He said if he has to miss this year, he is quitting (he didn't specify what he is quitting, but that's how 7 year olds roll  B) ).

So here is to keeping those sugar dragons chained down!  Have a good one!

Sharyn~ Wish you didn't have to go, your comments will be missed.  I wish you luck and healing with your next whole30.:)

I have been putting in extra efforts in cooking and prepping extra foods for easy choices.  I made those salmon cakes last night off here... they were a HUGE hit with every single member of the family.  I had to add a little more salt at the table because they tasted just a little bland to me, but they were overall very good!  I am looking forward to one for lunch.  I notice I am hungrier more often these last few days since getting back from hunting.  It made sense when I was hunting to be hungrier more often because of all the exertion and energy I was burning.  Now it doesn't make much sense.  Oh and instead of boiling or steaming the broccoli I tossed it in a little oil, added some Garlic Pepper and salt and roasted it in the oven, it was still a little firm which everyone liked a lot!  Which surprised me.  I think it was much healthier and nutritionally intact that my former boiling till limp practice I've always used.  It looked so much darker and yummier too!:)  

I am doing the other half of the TH1/TH2 challenge today, TH1 made me feel better and less achy and more range of motion yesterday, but TH2 has made me feel terrible, achy foggy headed and blah today.  I have no idea what that means but I look forward to the Dr explaining it in a couple weeks when I go back and see if that lines up with the bloodwork he had done as well.  

I made some of the Aidells Chicken & Apple Smoked Chicken Sausage this morning and saved some for later as well. I just sliced it cold and sauted it in some coconut oil to give it that lightly browned yum factor.  It was really good (again the kids really liked it), a nice change from eggs in the morning.  I am trying to wrap my head around the AIP idea....I am not there yet, I will finish this Whole30 and then do a couple re-introductions possibly (dairy makes me curious, and grains, I'd love to be able to eat beans again) and make a decision from there on if I want to tackle the auto-immune protocol.  Waiting for an actual diagnosis seems reasonable too. lol  

One concern I have is that of finances!  So far the financial side has been ok to handle for just me on Whole30, (I have lots of extra veggies and fruits for the family too) but things like the Aidells sausage at $5.50 for 4 links, and almond butter (when the family goes through 1 gallon buckets of peanut butter in a matter of a couple months) it would add up fast with 6 people in the family.  Thankfully, we have an elk and 2 deer in the freezer, tons of home canned green beans, home grown broccoli in the freezer, pureed pumpkin in the freezer, hundreds of pounds of frozen berries etc.  We do our work to gather, hunt, and buy excess in the good financial months.  We also grew pastured chickens this spring, but I kept far too few for ourselves this year to cover start up costs.  Next year we will keep WAY more for ourselves.  We also raised a couple turkeys that made the best smoked roasted herb rubbed "deli" meat ever!  I think we are on the right track, we just have a long way to go too.  I'd love to raise a few grass-fed beef next year too!  With 5 acres we can raise a lot of food around here.  

A reasonably goal for the family would seem to be majorly up the amount of veggies we eat at EVERY meal not just dinner.  Instead of a veggie and a starch with protein I'd do 2 veggies and a protein...honestly I have easy going kids, they likely wouldn't even balk.  Reduce the sugar content of everything to help them change their tastes, and make new memories with foods that are healthy (no more smores around the camp fire....maybe healthy sausages or fun paleo foil dinners and camp fire music instead etc).  I've quit buying bread for the last few weeks, we do have tortillas they are slowly working through, and once a lot of that is gone I just won't buy more which will help limit the bad food ratios.  I will keep the frig stocked with easy veggies, natural applesauce cups, healthy proteins (precooked when possible) and it will be easier to eat good than bad for all of us.

Sharyn~ Wish you didn't have to go, your comments will be missed.  I wish you luck and healing with your next whole30. :)

I have been putting in extra efforts in cooking and prepping extra foods for easy choices.  I made those salmon cakes last night off here... they were a HUGE hit with every single member of the family.  I had to add a little more salt at the table because they tasted just a little bland to me, but they were overall very good!  I am looking forward to one for lunch.  I notice I am hungrier more often these last few days since getting back from hunting.  It made sense when I was hunting to be hungrier more often because of all the exertion and energy I was burning.  Now it doesn't make much sense.  Oh and instead of boiling or steaming the broccoli I tossed it in a little oil, added some Garlic Pepper and salt and roasted it in the oven, it was still a little firm which everyone liked a lot!  Which surprised me.  I think it was much healthier and nutritionally intact that my former boiling till limp practice I've always used.  It looked so much darker and yummier too! :)

I am doing the other half of the TH1/TH2 challenge today, TH1 made me feel better and less achy and more range of motion yesterday, but TH2 has made me feel terrible, achy foggy headed and blah today.  I have no idea what that means but I look forward to the Dr explaining it in a couple weeks when I go back and see if that lines up with the bloodwork he had done as well.  

I made some of the Aidells Chicken & Apple Smoked Chicken Sausage this morning and saved some for later as well. I just sliced it cold and sauted it in some coconut oil to give it that lightly browned yum factor.  It was really good (again the kids really liked it), a nice change from eggs in the morning.  I am trying to wrap my head around the AIP idea....I am not there yet, I will finish this Whole30 and then do a couple re-introductions possibly (dairy makes me curious, and grains, I'd love to be able to eat beans again) and make a decision from there on if I want to tackle the auto-immune protocol.  Waiting for an actual diagnosis seems reasonable too. lol  

One concern I have is that of finances!  So far the financial side has been ok to handle for just me on Whole30, (I have lots of extra veggies and fruits for the family too) but things like the Aidells sausage at $5.50 for 4 links, and almond butter (when the family goes through 1 gallon buckets of peanut butter in a matter of a couple months) it would add up fast with 6 people in the family.  Thankfully, we have an elk and 2 deer in the freezer, tons of home canned green beans, home grown broccoli in the freezer, pureed pumpkin in the freezer, hundreds of pounds of frozen berries etc.  We do our work to gather, hunt, and buy excess in the good financial months.  We also grew pastured chickens this spring, but I kept far too few for ourselves this year to cover start up costs.  Next year we will keep WAY more for ourselves.  We also raised a couple turkeys that made the best smoked roasted herb rubbed "deli" meat ever!  I think we are on the right track, we just have a long way to go too.  I'd love to raise a few grass-fed beef next year too!  With 5 acres we can raise a lot of food around here.  

A reasonably goal for the family would seem to be majorly up the amount of veggies we eat at EVERY meal not just dinner.  Instead of a veggie and a starch with protein I'd do 2 veggies and a protein...honestly I have easy going kids, they likely wouldn't even balk.  Reduce the sugar content of everything to help them change their tastes, and make new memories with foods that are healthy (no more smores around the camp fire....maybe healthy sausages or fun paleo foil dinners and camp fire music instead etc).  I've quit buying bread for the last few weeks, we do have tortillas they are slowly working through, and once a lot of that is gone I just won't buy more which will help limit the bad food ratios.  I will keep the frig stocked with easy veggies, natural applesauce cups, healthy proteins (precooked when possible) and it will be easier to eat good than bad for all of us.

Check Costco on the sausages.  Much better prices. 

Sharyn,

50 days together.  I will miss you!  Good luck.  I will look for you at the close of this whole30.  Day 18 coming to a close for me.  Also day 18 for my 30 day plank challenge.  It's going pretty well.

Halloween is not a big deal from me.  My kids are grown, so no candy in the house.  I like candy corn, but I am abstaining.  Going to go walk with my grandkids tonight.  Again, not my thing, but I love spending time with them.  I just want to go to bed.  Super tired.  I don't have dinner made yet, and I just don't have the energy to get up and cook.  Gonna try to sleep for 30 minutes before leaving.

I'll stay if you all don't mind - I like the group and would like to keep involved. Today is a new day and I am starting the Whole30 Plank challenge. If you are interested in working on your abs for the whole of November come across to the Athletes' board (woo hoo how good does that sound?!)

Sharyn - stay!  Today is a start-over for me, too.  I gave myself Halloween off and am starting afresh today, with the children.  I ordered the 21 day sugar detox and will be doing that, whole30 style, with my children.  My next day "off" will be US Thanksgiving.

What's the plank challenge?

Good morning. I am going to try making a frittata this morning. My first ever. I hope it turns out well and becomes a new favorite. I am very thankful that this process has given me new recipes and foods I've never really considered before. It feels like an adventure.

I feel pretty positive about the whole30 process. I am a little concerned with my more frequent hunger. I will try upping the size of the meals today to see if that helps.

Jules,

I think that part of this process is to learn to listen to our bodies about how much we need to eat. Are you journaling your meals anywhere? That may help to look back and see what works for you.

Sharyn,

Glad you are staying!

I went through some recipes and made a plan for the weekend. I am going to make "the best chicken you ever ate" tonight, then use the leftovers to make paleo pad thai tomorrow. I will also have to come up with some plans for next week's lunches over the weekend. Today is another day on 4 1/2 hours sleep. Not planning a workout. Going to go straight home from work, put the chicken in brine, and sleep for a while.

I think I should start journaling my foods.  I did early on here, but then I slacked off and ended up rambling more than having a point to my posts. lol

So here goes~ 

Breakfast: a slice of frittata (with 2 C. spinach, 1 8" zuccinni in it, half of a small onion in it, coconut oil), carrot sticks, freeze dried fruit (Crunchies 1/3 c) 1/3 c pistachios in shell.  

Lunch: 1/2 medium sweet potato with a smidge of salt (my first plain swt potato ever!), leftover salmon pattie (oh yum I can't wait to go get more salmon), carrot sticks and guacamole.  

For dinner tonight:  Smoked, roasted, oil/herb rubbed homegrown pastured chicken, large green salad with veggies like cukes, raw beet cubes, snap peas, bell peppers, and balsamic vinegar for dressing.  Green beans with coconut oil (home canned).

I have been trying to stay more hydrated, there for a few days I got a little less to drink than I think I should have.  So I am doing my favorite thing today...I took a few fresh sprigs of mint from the garden and added it to my water bottle and I am enjoying fresh water with a hunt of mint!  Love it.

Since we have so many home canned green beans from our garden this year I am looking for recommendations on how to change it up a little aside from just heating them or tossing in some pepper and bacon pieces.   Are there any good recipes for dressing up canned green beans for a flavor treat?

I feel some energy today.  After yesterday being so horrible from the TH1/TH2 challenge I feel very thankful for less achiness and more energy to face some tasks that I've been putting off....like vacuuming my sofas and moving furniture to vacuum under it.  It was getting bad!  So I am pleased to feel some inklings of the old self from this summer before I got hit with all this pain and low energy that slowed me down.

you could try the Coconut Almond Green Beans recipe from Well Fed. That uses fresh beans but I am sure the sauce would liven up your canned beans. 

1 tablespoon coconut oil
2 tablespoons sliced almonds
1/2 medium onion, finely diced (about 1/2 cup)
3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup coconut milk
1 pound green beans, trimmed
1 teaspoon lime juice
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, minced (2 tablespoons) (optional)

Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the almonds and cook
until lightly browned. Keep an eye on them; they brown quickly! Transfer almonds to
a plate for later. Resist the temptation to eat them!
In the same pan, sauté the onion, garlic, cumin, coriander, paprika, chili pepper
flakes, and salt. Cook until the onion is soft and beginning to get brown bits, about
4-5 minutes.
Add the coconut milk to the pan and mix well, then add the green beans. Make
sure everything is blended, then bring the pan to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer,
and cook covered until the beans are tender. The cooking time is a judgment call. If
you like them crisp, it's about 6 minutes. If you like them softer, let them braise for
about 8 minutes.
When the beans have reached the desired tenderness, remove the lid and let the
sauce cook down until it thickens a bit. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the
almonds, lime juice, and cilantro (if using).

Day 1 of my restart, children in tow.  Breakfast was scrambled eggs and some pickled red pepper.  Lunch was asparagus soup and some polish sausage.  Dinner was spaghetti squash with marinara sauce and meatballs.  The children are missing their snacks (cereal, pretzels), and I have not prepared well enough to keep them satisfied for an entire 30 days.  I've received Eat Like a Dinosaur, and the 21-day sugar detox, and Well Fed 2, and Paleo Comfort foods in the past day.  I'll use my down time during my graveyard shift to make a meal plan to get me through the next 21 days with the kids.  Wish me luck!

My goals for myself - I did backtrack a bit over the past few days.  But November 1 is a great marker for a re-start.  My group exercise class that I joined before I started my first whole30 is going to be ending in two weeks, so I need to buck up and get back on the wagon with exercise.  Got a work retreat in Palm Springs on November 11 - this is the thinnest I have been in a decade so it will be fun to not be embarrassed about my body for once. 

Day 20 for me.  I got caught up on sleep last night.  I ate a couple m&m's that I bought in Vegas in September.  They are in the safe now, and locked.  I do not have the combination.  I got home from work, and felt like I had been hit with a sledge hammer, hurting all over, tired, miserable.  Looking at all the tasks around the house that needed done.  I got the chicken in the brine, and was walking around looking for something to make me feel better.  I poured about a tbsp of red wine into a wine glass to sniff.  I was trying not to cry from fatigue, and feeling overwhelmed by the stress of the week.  Taking my test, and not getting results right away, applying for a new job, applying for school to get my bachelors degree. Plus all the studying I had been doing prior to the test on Monday.  Then staying up all night to count inventory on Wednesday night.  That really threw my system for a loop.  I am not as young and resilient as I used to be.  It has taken days to get caught up on sleep.  Now to get back to my usual schedule of bed by 10, and up by 6 on the weekend.  So as I walked around sniffling I remembered the candy.  I took a few to the couch with me, and ate them.  Then fell asleep for about 3 hours.  Woke up feeling a bit better, but still zombie like.  I made a whole 30 dinner out of  the best chicken you ever ate, and well fed green beans with almonds.  I stayed in my calorie limit for the day even with the m&m's.  Back on track right away, and still on track when I woke up this morning.  Although I didn't get up until 9:30.  I will plan to go to bed at 10 tonight.  I have some things to do on line this weekend as part of getting enrolled at University. 

Food plan today is some bits of roast stored in the freezer and the rest of the green beans from last night.  Then the paleo pad thai with the rest of the chicken from last night.  Tomorrow I will have to cook some things for the coming week.

Cortner - why do you mention calorie allowance? There is no calorie allowance. And I think you need a ((((hug)))) after your week. I hope things ease up for you. 

I have not been Whole30 perfect for several days so I will just post today's positives. 

- plank challenge done before we left home

- bike ride with hubby along the seafront in the sun watching the kite surfers in the swell 

- breakfast in one of our favourite cafés (I am celebrating the event, not the food and coffee here!)

- a supper of rib eye steak pan fried in home made ghee served with greek style broccoli from Well Fed cookbook which arrived today :)

Sharyn,

I didn't monitor calories my first round, but I also didn't lose any weight. This time I have been tracking daily calorie intake vs calorie burn to try to get a slow steady weight loss. While following the meal template. I have been seeing a slow steady loss for last week. With all the stress of this week my weight has just barely held steady.

Until today when my whole 30 crashed and burned. In a big way. My decisions, and I will live with it. I am very disappointed in myself, that's for sure. A new day starts tomorrow. I think I needed the break. Trader Joes is not a good place for me.

Today's positives

- plank challenge complete. 30 seconds and my abs were so sore.

- breakfast of cold bolognese sauce on baby spinach and mayo

- lunch of butternut squash, chilli and coconut soup with a chicken thigh chopped into it

- supper of slow cooker lamb with rosemary served with Moroccan Cauliflower Pilaf (Well Fed)

- did some chores and spent quality time with my husband. 

A good day :)

I have another unexpected work trip coming up, this time it's going to be very hard to stay compliant. I'm heading to Africa on Saturday and I'll be there two weeks. That means two days on a plane/in airports, and no opportunity to cook my own food while I'm there. The only silver lining is that it will be close to the end - it'll be day 27 I think. I'm just kind of upset that the last few days might be a total loss, and that it might not be possible to carefully manage the re-introductions.

I am staying at a hotel where I've stayed before, and I know there are a couple things that i can eat. But I don't want to eat mashed plantains and boiled meat for every. single. meal.

Archived