Starting October 14th - anyone want to join me?

primalamy

My husband pulled a fast one on me and announced he had a craving for bangers and mash.  (He's British.) So, two days into committing to Paleo children, we all went to the nearest English pub for lunch.  I had the meat filling from Shepherd's Pie.  The children, unfortunately, had sausage rolls and came away then begging for more sausage rolls once we got home back to our Paleo lifestyle.  I gave my husband a talking-to, and supposedly we are committed again to at least a 21-day trial of Paleo children.  I'm sure this won't be the last road bump.

I made Nom Nom Paleo's Damn Fine chicken, which was good.  The Red Boat fish sauce is really strong and left an odor on my fingers - I may pull it from the recipe the next time I make it.

I enter the school week not prepared to make delicious lunches for the children.  Hopefully I can take some time tomorrow to focus.  We have a trip to Palm Springs this weekend for a work retreat - I worry about being able to keep the kids Paleo while traveling during the first week of our lifestyle change.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been having trouble getting on here over the weekend.

Sharyn - I'm glad you decided to stay!  I did two days of the plank challenge, but forgot yesterday.  I'm back on today.

drtracyb - Good luck on trying with your kids.  We all know how hard this is to do ourselves, I can't imagine trying to throw kids in the mix, especially with a husband not 100% on board.  So kudos to you for your hard work!

As for me, I'm doing well.  Staying compliant, mostly on target with the template.  Yesterday one of my meals was pretty mini, but I'm okay with that.  Sleep has gotten much better, very deep.  Now if my tummy would even out, things would be pretty great.

Have a great week, everyone!  Hard to believe this is our last full week.  Time seems to be flying by now...

I feel a bit of a fraud hanging out here as I am not following Whole30 - but I am cooking good meals from scratch and trying new recipes from Well Fed. Last night's Cauliflower Rice Pilaff was lovely with my slow cooker boned and rolled shoulder of lamb.

I didn't sleep well last night - hot and restless all night. I wonder whether that is dairy or wheat? Whichever it is I don't like it so I shall be cleaning my act up pretty soon. 

Good morning!  The weekend went really well for me.  I wish I could say I am feeling amazing, but I still hurt moderately.:(   I still have acne to some degree, it might be a smidgen better but not clear for sure.  I feel more in control emotionally and hormone wise, and the cravings are still gone which is fabulous.  I like that I don't ride the blood sugar roller coaster with this way of eating.  Digestion is really good and I am sleeping pretty sound (having lots of dreams) but I do wake up too early (4am) and lay there until I can fall asleep again.

I feel like my body might be changing shape some or I might be dropping fat?  Can't wait to weigh myself and take measurements next week.  My wedding ring feels looser, that is a good sign.:)  I can't wait for everyone's updates on how they feel once it is over!!!!

I can't believe how close I am to finishing this challenge.  If I prep foods today to make this week easy it will fly by I think.:)  I've been doing great about packing foods everywhere I go and not being tempted to eat out.  We went on a girls shopping day on Saturday and we packed 2 meals and a snack.  We stayed there longer than I expected and ran out of packed meals.  We were hungry so we went to McDonalds (I know worst place possible right?) and asked if they had any gluten-free options, or just a chicken breast I could purchase that was gluten-free and she looked at me like I had 2 heads so I just said "never mind" and bought my daughter her chicken sandwich with water and I went to the car and dug a baggie of almonds out of my purse and grabbed a few veggies and grapes out of the grocery bags we just purchased and made it home where I had chicken breasts waiting.  That was a big moment for me!

Yesterday, we went to my parents ranch and made fresh apple cider!  It was really good but I didn't overdo it, I tested about a 1 cup measured portion of cider, and had veggies and proteins to balance it out.  There is of course no added sugar just fresh pressed cider.  It is one of my favorite parts of fall.  We have about 8 gallons of cider to get canned and frozen today.  

I am about 4 days into the no red meat experiment the Dr suggested to see if my pain is better....so far it is NOT!  I wish I could understand why I hurt so bad, when all summer I was in great shape pain wise even though I was physically working hard in our huge garden and tending to 100s of chickens at a time, and juggling all the remodeling projects we were working on.  I feel like I am not even the same person as I was just 3 months ago, I was eating moderately well but not excellent.   I've always been a little achy here and there, I am not a flexible person, but this amount of pain in my hips and knees is NOT normal for me.  I think the pain is a little better on Whole30 than the few weeks before.  The only thing I can think of is that it has been a stressful last 7 months with my hubby working away from home during the week and I was trying to do all this stuff on my own with the kids all summer (I tended the huge garden, I paid all the bills, I kept everything going around here and made sure the 5 acres were mowed and irrigation pipes were changed and maybe I just crashed and burned when it was time to come inside more (less vitamin D too) and sit more during the day because we started homeschooling back up in August.  We also ripped out the sheetrock in one of our bathrooms and there was a little mildew or mold on one section of it (we sealed it up and carefully removed it).  It all seemed to start near that time when I came inside more.  I restarted my Vitamin D3 supplement about 6 weeks later (when I remembered) and felt a little better but I still feel so tired a lot, need to nap every couple days etc.  I can't face projects or organizational projects which normally energize me.  The bathroom is still demolished (down to 1 bathroom), sheetrock is in my living room bugging me ready to go in, but I can't find the energy to do it right now.  I am normally a remodeling queen and love projects like this, not afraid to tackle the tough stuff.  So I wonder if I am suffering from Adrenal Fatigue (which can take a long time to recover from) I've had it two other times in my life when there was prolonged stress like this but there didn't seem to be pain involved as much aside from achiness and lethargy.  It's a mystery.  If it is Adrenal Fatigue this way of eating is the Rx anyway so I am still on the right track.:)

Anyway, sorry to ramble so much, I am just feeling frustrated that I haven't had the amazing transformation so many seem to have had (concerning the joint pain and acne).  I am still proud of myself to taking my health into my own hands and doing something extreme to try to restore it, and that my Dr agrees with this path is great so I know I am on the right track!  I know this is the healthy thing to be doing, and I don't have doubts about finishing this strong......I am even considering either a whole45 or just piggybacking with an AIP attempt for 30 days more.  Not sure if I should do any re-introductions first or not.  I will make that call when I get to closer to the end of this whole30.:)

Ugh. Today I didn't have time to make a lunch for myself, so I got a salad at Chop't. I like that they source fresh and local ingredients, and all their dressings are made from scratch. They have a nice spreadsheet that shows you if any ingredient has different allergens in it - gluten, soy, dairy, etc. The dijon vinaigrette seemed to be compliant - none of those, and no sugar. I got a salad with items that I usually get - steak (grass fed), tomatoes, peppers, onions, and olives. I now have a bad stomach ache and a headache similar to the ones I got in the first week of the my Whole30. I requested an ingredients list to see if I can pinpoint what did it, but I feel like crap right now, and I didn't before I ate.

I asked some pointed questions, and I did get a couple of hints - they use a vinegar that has some sugar added, so that might be part of it. Although it would be odd that such a relatively small amount of sugar could cause a reaction like this. They also use canola oil in the dressing. Again, I can't imagine this reaction from the relatively small amount that was on the salad. I sent a follow-up question about there being any preservatives, so we'll see.

Jules - do you have fibromyalgia?  I have had my "wandering joint disease" my entire life, finally putting a name to it when I became friends with a rheumatologist.  My joint aches have not gone away completely, but I do have more ache-free time when I stick to a paleo plan.  Other things affect it though - sleep quality, the weather, stress, so the aches still do show up even when I feel I am being completely compliant.

I don't know if I do or not. The arthritis diagnosis is still new and I am still learning about that...fibromyalgia is a possibility. I haven't researched it yet to know what all is involved. This chronic pain is at a new intensity then ever before...aside from the couple years I dealt with TMJ pain. Like I said I am prone to achiness and stiffness but not the intensity I've had the last couple months. I am a mystery.

Good morning!  The weekend went really well for me.  I wish I could say I am feeling amazing, but I still hurt moderately. :(   I still have acne to some degree, it might be a smidgen better but not clear for sure. 

I feel the same on the acne, maybe a slight (very slight) improvement, but there are still breakouts.  I'm hoping that over time, as my hormones regulate, this will clear up.

Sharyn - don't feel like a fraud, I think we are all happy you are posting here.  We are supporting you!

CGinDC are you feeling any better today? Sure hope so. How is everyone else doing? We haven't had much posting from a few of the regulars...hopefully they are doing well in this final leg of our whole30!

Ditto!  Hope CGinDC is feeling better today.

I'm actually feeling pretty clear-headed today, moreso than since I've started the W30.  So I hope that's a good sign.  Nothing else too new here, just busy at work.

Plank challenge is going well. I managed 40 seconds this morning and it wasn't as hard as 20 seconds was just 5 days ago. So that's a real positive. 

I made a lovely curry last night with leftover lamb and the juices from the slow cooker. Boy was that good :)

Feel very sleepy and chilly tonight so I hope I am not getting a cold. I have worked Monday and Tuesday this week which means I have a whole week off before I go in next Wednesday for my usual Wednesday/Thursday slot. Loving that I can swap shifts and get a week off!

With my renewed focus on including my children in this current Whole30, I am doing well myself.  Yesterday I made Well Fed 2 Beef Provencal.  I thought the sauce was delicious.  I would change a little bit of the recipe, as my marinated beef ended up disintegrating into the stew, and this morning all of the sauce was absorbed so I now have beef carrot glop.  Delicious, but I was hoping for more sauce.  Usually I pull all the components out of my stews and package them separately, but I ran out of time last night.

Today I did a spin class for the first time in years and had a blast.  I am so close to being the size I was when I got married, and I have a trip to Palm Springs scheduled this weekend, and the final day of a weight loss group next week, so I've upped the intensity of my workouts to meet a personal deadline.

I am feeling better, thanks for asking! The headache was gone for the most part by dinner time. I still don't know what did it, but I do know that I'll be avoiding their salads for the time being.

I made lamb shanks in the crockpot with eggplant, tomatoes, and peppers last night - delicious.

My joint inflammation hasn't noticeably improved since starting this, but I am still hoping for good results there. I made the mistake of googling NSAIDs and intestinal damage, and the results were pretty scary - lots of evidence of intestinal perforations with prolonged NSAID use. So I'm stepping down on my dosage and have just ordered curcumin (at the recommendation of others in the forum) to see if that helps. I worry that the damage caused by the NSAIDs is limiting my body's ability to heal while I'm on the Whole 30.

That reminds me.....I have been trying to avoid the NSAIDS after reading ISWF and the reference that they contribute to leaky gut issues.  I've only taken Advil 3 times so far on the worst achy days that I needed to get things done....otherwise I've suffered.  So that leads me to ask, what about Tylenol?  

Are there any other solutions for joint pain when on Whole30?  What is curcumin?

I am really praying I don't have to do the AIP thing....I've been doing a lot of research and looking up meal plans and recipes and I find myself with a deep sense of sadness if I have to partake in that strict of a challenge.  I don't mind this whole30 at all, I have gotten used to everything so far, I do wish I felt more creative to try some of the amazing recipes I see out there but I seem comfortable to stay in a pattern I know how to prep for etc.  I am feeling like I could continue the whole30 longer to a whole45 or maybe even a whole60 but the AIP seems sooooo restrictive!  Plus, I won't even know until next Tuesday if it is even auto-immune related.  I wish I were ready to do the AIP, but I can sense that mentally and emotionally I am just not ready.  

For now I think I will work on stretching, gentle exercises (walks outside, dancing to music when I feel I can, short intervals of something more intense to try out something different), and see if just gaining range of motion and flexibility can help relieve the stiffness and joint pain.  I really have been taking it pretty easy on myself these last 3 weeks and I should probably try to push for some fitness goals too.  Does anyone have any recommendations for a gentle stretching/limbering up routine?  I come from a long line of VERY inflexible people and most yoga and pilates videos are way too hard for me.:(  I usually just modify it way back for myself but it makes me feel like a wimp and I don't do it regular enough.  Does anyone else deal with lack of flexibility and these sorts of aches and pains and have something that helped them?

I also want to look at getting adjusted at the chiropractor I haven't been since I was pregnant over 7 years ago!

a few struggles of the non food kind going on with the folk on this group. I have nothing to offer except sympathy and healing thoughts. 

Positive things?

lovely compliant supper last night - reheated cooked lamb with the cauli rice pilaf and a bit of balsamic vinegar and avo oil Delish. 

Today's breakfast was coleslaw, pork loin and avocado. 

The plank challenge is going well - today is a rest day and the pace picks up next week (Day 7 onwards). 

Hubby isn't working this afternoon as we are going to have lunch then go for a walk along the canal together. Love quality time midweek <3

Sharyn - I have to work up the courage to cook lamb.  I did not grow up eating lamb so I am fearful of messing it up.  My British husband has never requested lamb either.  Do you have a favorite recipe with a lot of sauce (my husband likes saucy foods).  Slower cooker-friendly would be nice.

I am doing well, finally, adhering to this second Whole30, even as my entire family rebels.  I had joined a weight loss class at my gym before I even started the Whole30, and luckily the weekly weigh-ins are providing me with positive reinforcement.  As is the "fitting into my smallest of the "too small" clothes".  This Whole30 coincides with the final push of my other group, as we have our final weigh and measure one week from this Saturday.

Breakfast will be a sauteed tomato and fried eggs.  M2 will cycle back to Damn Fine Chicken legs and leftover brussels sprouts from my beef stew.  M3 will be steak and grilled onions.  Beef stew will be packaged and frozen for later.

Jules - for fibromyalgia, which I suspect you have, my rheumatologist recommends soaking in a hot tub or jacuzzi daily.  He recommends swimming daily.  He says decent sleep is vital, to the point of recommend sleep aid medications to make sure you get the appropriate sleep.  For stretching, how about a ballet barre class or tape.  And massage, lots of massage.

Have you had a chance to look up fibromyalgia yet?  It is basically a syndrome of overactive pain nerves, sending too many signals to the brain.

Here's just a copy of one link I found on the internets:

TUESDAY, Aug. 6 (HealthDay News) — About half of fibromyalgia patients have damage to nerve fibers in their skin and other evidence of a disease called small-fiber polyneuropathy (SFPN), a small new study finds.

Fibromyalgia is characterized by symptoms such as pain and tenderness, fatigue, and sleep and memory problems. The disorder has no known causes and few effective treatments.

The study of 27 fibromyalgia patients found that 13 had evidence of small-fiber polyneuropathy. Unlike fibromyalgia, small-fiber polyneuropathy is known to be caused by specific medical conditions, some of which can be treated and sometimes cured, according to the Massachusetts General Hospital researchers.

The findings were published online in the journal Pain.

“This provides some of the first objective evidence of a mechanism behind some cases of fibromyalgia, and identifying an underlying cause is the first step towards finding better treatments,†study corresponding author Dr. Anne Louise Oaklander, director of the hospital's nerve injury unit and an associate professor of neurology at Harvard Medical School, said in a hospital news release.

“Until now, there has been no good idea about what causes fibromyalgia, but now we have evidence for some but not all patients. Fibromyalgia is too complex for a ‘one size fits all' explanation,†Oaklander said.

“The next step of independent confirmation of our findings from other laboratories is already happening, and we also need to follow those patients who didn't meet SFPN criteria to see if we can find other causes,†she said. “Helping any of these people receive definitive diagnoses and better treatment would be a great accomplishment.â€

Fibromyalgia affects 1 percent to 5 percent of people in Western nations, and many more women than men.

That is very interesting info, thank you!  When I did a little research last night I did notice I had quite a few of the common symptoms and conditions that typically go hand in hand.  Since it seems to be a tricky one to get relief from, I hope I DON'T have it lol.  It does make sense though how I can have times of productivity and feeling fine and then weeks of pain and fatigue that doesn't make sense.  People have asked me if I am bipolar because of the high low issues but it doesn't feel mental or emotional to me.....(eventually feeling so tired and hurting does get me down but that doesn't seem to be what causes the highs and lows).  When I am on the productive side I don't feel manic or super happy I just feel good like I can get things done and the brain fog clears enough to be creative sometimes.  I do usually get a sense that I better take advantage of feeling good enough to get stuff done since I don't know how long it will last (could be weeks or many months I feel good). lol  I think life has natural highs and lows to it and some of that is natural and connected to how well I sleep for a season in life or stress levels etc.  

There certainly could be a food that triggers the attacks, it seems to follow my not being very careful to keep enough protein in my diet and it ends up going more towards straight carbs (and not the veggie kind, more like fruits and bread type) most of the day except dinner when we have protein.   When DH works away from home like he has been I tend to graze all day on easy to fix stuff rather than having 3 meals per day (even though sometimes I end up eating very little calories per day when busy I still gained weight because of too many carbs I think).  It was a bad habit I fell into and I am paying for it now I think.  When I graze it is easier to fix 2 slices of toast than cook up eggs, or grab a PBJ sandwich (even on WW bread and with low sugar jams lol) than to make a nice salad (I hated getting a bunch of stuff out for a quick meal, and I hate dirtying dishes just for a breakfast).  I think I can link it back to the eating that probably started the imbalance and my body said "Enough!"  It certainly got my attention!

On a good note, I feel good today!  I feel alert, and excited about the Whole30 because my stomach is slimmer and it shouldn't be this time of the month either!  Hubby is noticing my face is less puffy and more youthful (I'm not seeing it in my skin just the face shape so far, my eyes look brighter and more alive too) and he sees that my stomach is a lot smoother too.  I am super excited about that!  I am having to wear a belt too with some fairly new jeans that I've never had to wear a belt with before!  Whoo Hoo.  The pain is better today after a easy yoga workout yesterday off YouTube that had lots of alterations for arthritis to make it easier/gentler, I felt more range of motion after that and I think that might become a new part of my daily routine...at the very least a good stretch in all main areas of the body.:)

I've been thinking about how I am able to do homeschool better with the kids more consistently since starting Whole30 too.  Before, I'd been wanting to cut corners some because I was always so tired and sore from sitting so long to do lessons with them.  So now I can sit longer without the pain/stiffness getting to me, and I am mentally stronger to stick it out for every lesson on the lesson plans too.  I have 3 boys with dyslexia and it is a HUGE challenge to teach them most days and it can get really discouraging sometimes.  I feel more hopeful that inch by inch we will get where we are going in their learning and progress.  My daughter is a Jr in high school and doesn't have dyslexia, thankfully, and is an independent learner (thank goodness).  I am able to take more time with her checking in with her on how her lessons are coming along and give her more accountability on her writing papers.  It has been nice to feel more connected to all things learning lately.

I guess what I am saying is Whole30 is giving me hope for my health I haven't had in a while.  I feel good.  I don't want to end the Whole30, I feel like I am just starting to see inklings of what everyone keeps talking about.  So I am planning to continue for at least a Whole45 at this point.:)

Tracy - I just put a boned and rolled shoulder of lamb in the slow cooker on low for 9 hours. I get sauces and liquid from the veg accompaniments. Leeks and mushrooms pan fried in ghee goes well with lamb. And I have just pan fried sliced Brussels sprouts in the left over lamb fat with some bacon. Boy was that good!

I just got home from shopping and decided to include a few things I don't normally buy in the veggie department.  I got radishes, a greens mix with kale, spinach, and other baby leaf types in it for more nutrition than just romaine or spinach, and I got 2 plantains.  I have no idea how to cook the plantain, anyone have some good ideas for me?

I feel good about those and I look forward to more salads than carrot sticks this week.  I also got some raspberries because I LOVE raspberries.

I am feeling good today and I feel like celebrating.  Still feel achy, but the energy makes it less noticeable.

Oh and my daughter has been making me this really tasty sausage recipe....take ground meat and add sage, thyme, salt and pepper.  I can list the recipe if you want it.  Super simple and it tastes good in both ground pork and ground turkey (it is originally a bear sausage recipe) I like it browned either crumbled or in little patties.  I also discovered a sort of dressing for salad.  Olive oil with balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and a pinch of onion powder. 

That is the update from here, hope everyone else is enjoying energy and wellness this last week of our Whole30!

I think well fed 2 has a recipe for pan fried plantain - someone mentioned it as their new addiction.

I do want to start making my own sausage - store-bought has started to gross me out.

That spinning class dipped me down weight-wise to the lowest weight I have been since 2007 (i.e., what I weighed the day I got married).  I am getting tons of complements.  While I love the complements, the true challenge is being able to keep the weight off.  Over Christmas I lost a ton of weight (on the plan that led me to find Whole30), but it came right back almost immediately.  If I could just keep it off a year .....  I think I am going to have to come up with some gigantic reward for myself to keep a healthy lifestyle for one year, and beyond.

I think well fed 2 has a recipe for pan fried plantain - someone mentioned it as their new addiction.

I do want to start making my own sausage - store-bought has started to gross me out.

That spinning class dipped me down weight-wise to the lowest weight I have been since 2007 (i.e., what I weighed the day I got married).  I am getting tons of complements.  While I love the complements, the true challenge is being able to keep the weight off.  Over Christmas I lost a ton of weight (on the plan that led me to find Whole30), but it came right back almost immediately.  If I could just keep it off a year .....  I think I am going to have to come up with some gigantic reward for myself to keep a healthy lifestyle for one year, and beyond.

Archived