Starting October 14th - anyone want to join me?

primalamy

I'm starting my first day today too! Nervous and excited, prepared with my meals for week 1 and determined to do this! 5 pregnancies in 7 years (4 babies) have left my body and hormones completely confused. I'm still nursing baby 4, but I'm ready to feel great!

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in! I've gotten off track and am starting to feel not so great anymore. Time to return to the basics!

Question: I'm looking for a good slow cooker cookbook. Anybody have any recommendations? I love to use my crockpot, especially now that cooler weather is here.

sign up to paleopot and check out his recipes. They are fabulous. I can recommend the Lime and Cilantro Chicken and the triple decker burger (leave out the cheese). 

@ aventurine - I think fish and eggs would be ok as long as you vary the fish. Smoked haddock with poached egg is a classic. Tuna Nicoise includes eggs. Pan fried cod with loads of veggies is one of my favourite meals. 

Vary the texture and cooking methods and you should be ok for 30 days; fresh and canned tuna, sardines and mackerel. Fresh cod, haddock, whiting, cobbler and prawns. Smoked mackerel, haddock and trout. Loads of options. You could make kedgeree with cauliflower rice, smoked haddock, hard boiled eggs and mayo. 

A challenge worth going for I think - good luck :)

I am a bit late posting today - sorry drtracyb ;)

Meal 1 - 3 thin slices of ham, 2 scrambled eggs on baby leaf spinach, lemon & ginger tea

Exercise - aquafit class (tough today; I think instructor has been on another training weekend!)

Meal 2 - carbless chicken burger in gym café - chicken breast, mushroom, tomato and red pepper slices, salad leaves and salsa and a side of sweet potato fries. Large Americano

Meal 3 - chicken and vegetable braise (slow cooker leftovers plus loads more veg and refined coconut oil)

A successful Day 1. 

Good luck to those of you across the pond who are just getting going on Monday x

I am a bit late posting today - sorry drtracyb ;)

Meal 1 - 3 thin slices of ham, 2 scrambled eggs on baby leaf spinach, lemon & ginger tea

Exercise - aquafit class (tough today; I think instructor has been on another training weekend!)

Meal 2 - carbless chicken burger in gym café - chicken breast, mushroom, tomato and red pepper slices, salad leaves and salsa and a side of sweet potato fries. Large Americano

Meal 3 - chicken and vegetable braise (slow cooker leftovers plus loads more veg and refined coconut oil)

A successful Day 1. 

Good luck to those of you across the pond who are just getting going on Monday x

Just checking to confirm your ham is compliant: no sugar, gluten or other nasties.

I'd like to join in, too!

I've just joined the forums today.  I've done paleo/primal off and on for the last three years, but never had the courage to try Whole 30.  I'm currently on Day 14 of keeping a journal and eating paleo during the week, primal on the weekend (just for the cheese, really).  I'm feeling very energetic and positive and feel ready to take on the Whole 30.  I think I can go without cheese for 30 days :) 

From my log:

This is more difficult than I thought my first day would be.  I've been starving all day (when I haven't been nauseous).

My breakfast never filled me up and by 11am I was ravenous.  I held off eating until 1pm, but by then I was feeling really nauseous.  I ate anyway, but still didn't feel full, even though it was quite a bit of food.  I'm drinking a ton of water and tea.  I finally decided to eat the following, which was supposed to be part of my breakfast tomorrow:

S: Hash about 2/3 cup (butternut squash, ground beef, spinach and onions, cooked in coconut oil) and I added a few tsp of coconut milk.

I feel like I had a ton of food, but just don't feel satiated, at all.  Hopefully this is just growing pains...

I've been debating doing a W30 for a while now, and while I was out of town this weekend I decided for sure I would do it, starting today. I didn't eat breakfast (I didn't really prepare for this and had nothing to eat, having gotten back home at around midnight), but for lunch I had the last of my Asian Chicken Thighs (from NomNomPaleo) that I had made last week and some broccoli. I decided to sign up for the forums and found this thread. I've been toying around with Paleo for a while, but haven't really made it my sole source of food. I figure it was time to do this right. Good luck everyone! It's really encouraging to see how many of you are doing it again.

Thanks for all the great slow cooker suggestions! I can't wait to try some of these!

So for my first day today, while everything I've eaten has been compliant, I really fell down on the following the template part. I know better too! I just didn't get my ducks in a row yesterday. I'm in the whole30 doghouse. ;)

Welcome everyone! I hope you all had a great first day.

Breakfast was leftover beef stew, lunch and dinner were steak, squash and sweet potatoes. I plan on roasting a chicken tomorrow.

One thing I want to make sure I do for this Whole 30 is make sure to get some kind of exercise everyday. I haven't been doing much exercise lately.

HIGH FIVE ON DAY ONE!

Gym: 5.6 mile stationary bike hill climb; leg workout

Lg. Banana Post-w.o.

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled with carrots, sweet potatoes, almond slices and unsweetened coconut.

Lunch: baby spinach and butter lettuce salad with grilled chicken, oil & vinegar, broccoli, cabbage, sprouts

Dinner: taco salad (shredded ice berg, lean ground beef w/spices, roma tomatoes, green & diced onions

To be honest, after many years of eating garbage but loving to cook, this food feels like an absolute treat. The recipes in Well Fed have all turned out restaurant quality (or better), and I'm enjoying relying on spices for flavor rather than chemicals. So. Much. Better. .

I'd love to join you!  This is my first Whole30 and I am pretty excited to see where it leads. I've been a fan of clean eating, until it stopped working for me and the cravings became unbearable and I found myself back eating too many carbs and feeling awful, achy, tired, and clogged in the sinuses.  I really hope I have finally found the right plan, I refuse to stop trying, searching, experimenting until I can find something to help me live a healthy life and lose this weight!

Whole30 seems like a great place to be right about now!  So glad to be joining a group to share in the adventures and challenges as we go.  Thanks for starting this.  Day 1 was today for me, I have so much to learn but I am ready.

HIGH FIVE ON DAY ONE!

Gym: 5.6 mile stationary bike hill climb; leg workout

Lg. Banana Post-w.o.

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled with carrots, sweet potatoes, almond slices and unsweetened coconut.

Lunch: baby spinach and butter lettuce salad with grilled chicken, oil & vinegar, broccoli, cabbage, sprouts

Dinner: taco salad (shredded ice berg, lean ground beef w/spices, roma tomatoes, green & diced onions

To be honest, after many years of eating garbage but loving to cook, this food feels like an absolute treat. The recipes in Well Fed have all turned out restaurant quality (or better), and I'm enjoying relying on spices for flavor rather than chemicals. So. Much. Better. .

A couple of suggestions, Lizzie...

PostWO should be a meal sized portion of lean protein and starchy vegie carbs, no fruit.

Remember to include fat with your meals - there was none in your dinner! (Avo or guacamole would go perfectly!)

A couple of suggestions, Lizzie...

PostWO should be a meal sized portion of lean protein and starchy vegie carbs, no fruit.

Remember to include fat with your meals - there was none in your dinner! (Avo or guacamole would go perfectly!)

do

Thanks for the suggestions!

I should have clarified; post workout was literally walking to the car from the locker room. Breakfast was only about 15 minutes later--the time it took to walk to the office.

Any suggestions beyond avocado for fats that would work well with Mexican nights? I do great with nuts and oils, but I've got problems with the texture of avocados.

do

Thanks for the suggestions!

I should have clarified; post workout was literally walking to the car from the locker room. Breakfast was only about 15 minutes later--the time it took to walk to the office.

Any suggestions beyond avocado for fats that would work well with Mexican nights? I do great with nuts and oils, but I've got problems with the texture of avocados.

PostWO should still be immediately after exercise - your meal one was a proper template meal with too much fat! Have a proper postWO then meal one later.

You could have any fat...drizzle with oil, maybe mix coconut cream in with your chilli, have mayo on top (mayo is great on everything :P)

I am starting a Whole 30 tomorrow as well! My almost 8yo daughter will be doing a modified Whole30 along with me. 

I did my first Whole30 about a year ago, and while I have done a pretty good job sticking to our paleo lifestyle, the last few months have been crazy and our healthy cooking and eating was one of the hardest hit parts of our lives. Can't wait to get back on track and get my body healed up!

With the cold weather moving in (we are in Montana), what is everyone's favorite soup recipe? 

Tina

Tina,

I made the bacon and butternut squash soup from www.civilizedcaveman.com  Fantastic!  Then I found jalepeno bacon at Whole Foods and put that on top.  Amazing, Fantastic, and any other words you can think of.  My husband actually asked for it again just a few days later.  That is high praise.

Starting over today, 10-15

I thought I was almost done with my very first 30 (9 days) but realized too late that both my Coconut milk and Almond milk had carrageenan. 

So, stocked up again on lots of veggies and fish and ready to start over.

This time I may catch a non-paleo food earlier by reporting back and getting support from a group.

Good luck and have fun!

Archived