Starting October 14th - anyone want to join me?

primalamy

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how do you all get those boxes with portions of others' messages? I tried it a few times and it never looked right.

You use the 'quote' or 'multiquote' button on bottom right of the message you want to quote from. Make sure you start typing under the box or your text will be included in the quote box. Do any trimming after you have typed your bit. HTH :)

Hello group -

May I join you a few days late?  I did a whole 26 a few months ago and have been on and off since then.  Last night I found myself face first in a pint of ice cream and thought "this has got to stop!"  It was so helpful to have a group to check in with first time around, and I'd love to have that again.  

I've just had a breakfast of spinach, chicken and ginger soup and have packed my lunch of Well Fed's Shepherd's Pie and some broccoli. Off to what will be a killer pilates class since I've been eating so badly for a few days. 

You use the 'quote' or 'multiquote' button on bottom right of the message you want to quote from. Make sure you start typing under the box or your text will be included in the quote box. Do any trimming after you have typed your bit. HTH :)

Ah!  Thank you!  I don't think this function works on my iPad, but on my computer it works perfectly.

I found it in Nom Nom Paleo but it is the Mayfield's recipe from their comfort food book.  Go to nom nom paleo.com and search meatloaf muffins - I never have any luck cutting and pasting something into this forum.

Thank you!  I've had lots of luck on the nomnompaleo website.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE the braised green cabbage with red onions and carrots.  And I love her butternut squash roasted in cubes (rather than the whole thing).  I will try the meatloaf muffins.

Today was 2 poached eggs, roasted kale with ghee, sweet potato/coconut milk soup, coffee with coconut milk.

Lunch will be chicken salad with apples, celery and mayo.  Raw carrots and peppers.

Dinner is Well Fed's Pad Thai!  

I do circuit training 3-4 days per week....I'm off to do that soon.

Have a wonderful Day 3!

I found it in Nom Nom Paleo but it is the Mayfield's recipe from their comfort food book.  Go to nom nom paleo.com and search meatloaf muffins - I never have any luck cutting and pasting something into this forum.

I just looked up the recipe.....what do you substitute for the worcestershire sauce?  Is there a compliant one out there?  

I have so many good recipes that call for worcestershire and I've just been skipping them for the whole 30.

Let me know.

I'm just starting today (October 16th) but would like to join this thread since it looks active. This is my first Whole30 so am excited. I'm vegetarian, but eat seafood occasionally along with eggs. Anyway, would like to try this anyway using seafood and eggs as my protein daily. 

I'm a sugar addict so am expecting a massive sugar headache the today and tomorrow. I think I'll go pop a couple Tylenol's right now to help prevent the headache from getting too bad. 

I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to dairy so looking forward to seeing the results. I cut gluten and dairy for 10 days a few years ago and noticed a big change. I've cut gluten in the past and didn't really notice a difference so am pretty sure it was the dairy removal that the change was from. We'll see. 

I'm a social sweater and when I cut the dairy out for 10 days the sweating totally disappeared. It was unbelievable. The reason I didn't stick with it is because the "diet" felt so limited since I'm not really a meat eater. If you take away meat, grains & dairy there really isn't a lot left. Anyway, I'll concentrate on what I can have this time instead of what I can't.

I signed up for the daily e-mails and I can tell already they are going to be very helpful.

Got to the gym this morning and did 60 minutes on the elliptical plus an 8 minute ab routine. Came home and had an approved Whole30 breakfast. Day 1 here we go!

I knew I forgot something this morning, darned brain fog.  I forgot the half avocado I was going to add to my lunch for fat.  Here is what I have: 

Pumpkin Chicken Chili (has green peppers, onions, pumpkin puree, diced tomatoes, lots of spices) over spaghetti squash.

The chili does have some olive oil, but not much.  I'm stuck at work so my options are to eat as above or to have a tbsp of almond butter.  My issue with the almond butter (it is compliant) is that butters of any kind tend to be a "food without brakes" for me.  I had hidden the jar in my cabinet at work in case I had a fat emergency.   ;)   If I have the almond butter, I would have that first and then the rest of my meal, so as to avoid continuing to spoon it in after my meal.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, am I better off going without the fat or having something that can be a trigger for me?  Thanks!

Hi there, im just checking in, day three is going well, although im still drinking my morning coffee with almond milk, has anyone given up coffee while doing whole30 and if so, was it hard to get through the day without caffeine?

Hi there, im just checking in, day three is going well, although im still drinking my morning coffee with almond milk, has anyone given up coffee while doing whole30 and if so, was it hard to get through the day without caffeine?

I'm just drinking mine black. Between the drastic changes to my diet and the fact that my body already thinks it's Daylight Saving Time, there's zero chance I'd survive my 5(ish)am drive to the gym without a caffeine fix.

I did give it up for about 45 days last summer, but remembering the horrible withdrawal headaches keep me from wanting to do it again.

Good luck either way!

Hanging in there pretty good.  This morning I got a weird avocado that made me want to gag, normally I like them but this one had especially weird texture and flavor.  Maybe not quite ripe, anyway that made me a little sick to my tummy.  Otherwise I had 3 scrambled eggs in some coconut oil, a kiwi, and a quarter of an avocado, plus lots of water.

For lunch I am planning on a spinach salad with thinly sliced steak, fresh tomatoes from the garden, lemon cucumbers, 1 Tbs sunflower seeds, balsamic vinegar for a dressing.  I will have 1 T coconut oil in some ecchinacea tea.

Dinner is Grilled talapia fish, streamed veggies, and sauted asparagus with garlic and coconut oil.

Overall this is easier than I EVER imagined it might be, it is still really hard but not near as hard as I imagined it would be to cut out so many food groups.  I miss cheese a little, (never liked milk much), miss legumes some (a lot of our fall favorite soups call for beans) and I'd like to be able to have natural peanut butter (locally, I can't find any almond butters without sugar or unhealthy oils etc), other than that the grains have been easier than I thought to cut out.  This is the easiest I have ever come off sugar as well.  The cravings have been minimal (I think thanks to the healthy fats to keep me satisfied.)  I worry more so of an accidentally contamination (in a seasoning or prep method) or an "auto mode" mishap where I forget and just eat something without thinking. lol   I have not eaten out and I am not looking forward to that challenge at all.

I am still achy, tired, blah, but I am hopeful and it feels good to be doing something about it finally.  

I notice my sinuses are a little clearer, passages seem a little more open and easier to breath through nose.  This has been a constant issue for years, sinus stuffiness and occasional infections.  Sinus pressure triggers a whole chain reaction for me....the sinus pressure makes my upper teeth start to hurt, then I get anxiety because I have dental anxiety so when I think something is wrong with my teeth I worry, then my TMJ pain gets riled up...it is this whole ugly pattern I struggle with.

So hoping some of that improves over the next few weeks.

Hi all- 

Glad to see everyone is doing so well.  I am half way through day 2 and things are good.

My meals might need a little extra fat (I have to dig out my olives) 

M3 will be pork chops tonight with cabbage from last night and maybe some ghee roasted mushrooms (which makes this M2 for tomorrow)

I am finally feeling better from my sinus infection, but will probably take tonight off from working out just to make sure I rest and feel 100% for yoga tomorrow - and I have an earlier than usual wake up tomorrow, so I need the rest.

On to day 3!

Day 3 or 38 here and all meals consumed. Feeling replete and content and very  very pleased with my progress so far. 

Meal 1 - 2 slices of Prosciutto ham with an avocado and spinach with mayo. 

Meal 2 - spinach, tomato and cucumber salad with mayo and a can of John West Tuna Infusions with Basil

Meal 3 - Kedgeree made with cauliflower rice, smoked River Cobbler and hard boiled eggs. Cooked in refined coconut oil and dressed with ghee to melt through. No carbs today so I had a banana with coconut milk and flaked almonds afterwards. I know this is dessert-like but after 38 days I am happy that it will do no harm :)

Other progress - trousers felt loose today and I felt taller and slimmer at work. My skin is supersoft and the cellulite on my thighs is smoothing out - it's still there but it is in rows instead of clumps. Hopefully it's packing its bags and getting ready to depart. 

Sleep is also improving - get off to sleep quicker and don't wake up as often. I even sleep through my husband's nocturnal bathroom trips. Best sleep in years but still a way to go. All of me is a work in progress ;)

Day 3 or 38 here and all meals consumed. Feeling replete and content and very  very pleased with my progress so far. 

Meal 1 - 2 slices of Prosciutto ham with an avocado and spinach with mayo. 

Meal 2 - spinach, tomato and cucumber salad with mayo and a can of John West Tuna Infusions with Basil

Meal 3 - Kedgeree made with cauliflower rice, smoked River Cobbler and hard boiled eggs. Cooked in refined coconut oil and dressed with ghee to melt through. No carbs today so I had a banana with coconut milk and flaked almonds afterwards. I know this is dessert-like but after 38 days I am happy that it will do no harm :)

Other progress - trousers felt loose today and I felt taller and slimmer at work. My skin is supersoft and the cellulite on my thighs is smoothing out - it's still there but it is in rows instead of clumps. Hopefully it's packing its bags and getting ready to depart. 

Sleep is also improving - get off to sleep quicker and don't wake up as often. I even sleep through my husband's nocturnal bathroom trips. Best sleep in years but still a way to go. All of me is a work in progress ;)

That is all great news - congrats for your progress!  

I just looked up the recipe.....what do you substitute for the worcestershire sauce?  Is there a compliant one out there?  

I have so many good recipes that call for worcestershire and I've just been skipping them for the whole 30.

Let me know.

You know what?  I actually combined recipes - nom nom's with the one from Paleoparents.  That one didn't have Worcestershire sauce in it.  I liked concepts from both and meshed the two.  The one had the sauce mixed into the meatloaf, and the other, I liked the sauce better.  I just made another batch yesterday as tiny meatballs to send with my kids to school - the full-sized muffins didn't work, as I still had to cut them up to make them fit into the lunch containers.

http://paleoparents.com/featured/meatloaf-cupcakes/

Doing really well but my husband is getting annoyed because I spend all my time in the kitchen.

Sharyn, your meals always look so delicious.  I'm still using up roasted veggies that I froze during my first whole30.  I found last time that I did not place enough focus on green veggies so I am making up for that this time.

Yesterday I

made a batch of paleoparent cupcake meatloaf (with some of nom nom's recipe for the sauce) but turned it into meatballs.  The meatballs are a little dry but taste great with the dipping sauce.  I made them for my kids' lunches, though I am still not accomplishing turning them fully paleo.

cut up two chickens and roasted them with onions

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2010/03/roast-chicken-recipe-caramelized-s/

It makes a delicious onion gravy, though the gravy ends up being kind of a gray color.  May need to add something to provide a prettier brown color to the gravy

roasted mushrooms and a whole clove of garlic in coconut oil and ghee and salt

Last night I ate the meatloaf, which contains a ton of veggies.

Today for M1 I ate fried eggs with sauteed garlic mushrooms and sauteed spinach.

Also bought Kombucha for the first time.  After 35 days of whole30 it was nice to drink something other than water, though I do really like my water.

Also concentrating on getting my exercise in - I didn't do so well at that during the first 30 days.

My morning coffee has been my biggest struggle so far!  I've tried it with coconut milk and little coconut oil hoping it would take away some of the bitterness, but no luck.  Are you enjoying it with the almond milk?  

My morning coffee has been my biggest struggle so far!  I've tried it with coconut milk and little coconut oil hoping it would take away some of the bitterness, but no luck.  Are you enjoying it with the almond milk?  

Just drink it black. You'll be used to it in a couple of days and never look back :)

Has anyone else noticed an improvement in their skin already? I'm already seeing a drastic decrease in oiliness, which was unexpected (and awesome) after so short a time.

After my first whole30, I stopped my minocycline (which I'd been taking for years to control acne and rosacea).  I've been antibiotic free ever since and my skin looks better than ever.....less oily and very clear.  

I like mine with coconut milk.  But I hadn't sweetened my coffee for years, so I was accustomed to the "bitterness"....I like it. :)

Archived