Starting October 14th - anyone want to join me?

primalamy

I started October 1r4th as well. I'm doing the autoimmune version to hopefully clear up my psoriasis. I do not want to lose weight. I did a detox diet last year that really helped. How is everyone feeling? I don't feel right. I am constantly feeling hungry and my heart feels like it is racing. Is that normal?

If you're truly hungry, eat something! :) Make it fit the template - a little fat, protein & veg - & dig in. Then have a look back at your meals & maybe increase the size of them in future? Sometimes adding extra fat to meals helps them to "last longer" as well - think olives, avocado, compliant bacon etc.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sara,

I loved loved loved the paleo pad thai.  I used homemade almond butter.  I didn't have the sun butter, nor have I found any at my local stores.  I did read a comment on the recipe page that suggested using a combo of almond butter and tahini.  Also, I made extra sauce to dip chicken tenders in.  And brocoli.  And and and.  I will try a little tahini in it next time.  

cortner1195- I have tahini, so I guess I'll just pick up a jar of almond butter, since I'd have to order the compliant sunbutter online.  Can't wait to try it!  And the dipping sauce sounds great too.

Ok sorry, off topic.  I do that a lot.  Thanks to those of you that shared more recipes for squash and the explanation of tiger's blood. 

ThoughtsFromJules- My husband hunts too.  We're hoping to pick up some venison next weekend.   ;)

Jewel- I can't imagine trying to do this while being a caterer!   :o

snowflower- I'm checking out that recipe for braising cabbage, I wasn't sure what to do with the head I picked up.

DD14e- I was very hungry the first day and got lots of recommendations to eat more, so Eat More!  It definitely makes the process so much easier if you aren't hungry.  My understanding is that the templates are minimums, so if you are eating at the lower end of the templates, increase to the upper end.

I had a really strange night.  I had a hard time falling asleep.  I'm up to 2 tsp of Natural Calm, but I was up running to the bathroom until about 1am.  Strange, because I'm drinking a lot less in the evenings now that I'm not drinking wine with a 16oz glass of water with each glass of wine.  I'm wondering if Natural Calm or Kombucha (which I've been drinking in the evenings, 1/2 bottle) have diuretic effects.  Does anyone know???

So in addition to the trouble sleeping, I had a really strange dream.  I dreamt that I was getting frustrated as I was trying to weave together forks and knives (I wonder why that would be frustrating  :rolleyes: ).  So I went outside and screamed for awhile (uh, okay...) and then ate a handful of chips.  I decided I just wouldn't tell anyone I messed up my W30 and I would just keep going.  But I felt horrible about messing up.  I was really glad to wake up and realize it was just a dream.

I'm still dragging today, I can't wait to get some energy back.  Have a great day, everyone!

Day 6/30 of my first whole 30. Do far I feel fine. I had 1 days of being nauseous and 1 day of being really tired. I ran this morning and it wasn't bad. Nice pace and nice run. Since I'm not feeling too bad. I keep thinking I'm doing something wrong. Some hidden sugar or something. But no. I'm following the plan. My biggest issue is the sugar/junk food cravings. I have been able to resist the sirens call. Just made I huge salad for meal 2. Baby romaine, red onion, cucumber, apple slices and small amount walnuts, red wine/evoo dressing and boiled eggs. Meal 3 mini burger bites with caramelized onion from nom nom paleo and sweet potato fries from nom nom paleo. Meal 1 was eggs, spinach and a banana and coffee black.

Good day today. Slept in so had a quick breakfast as I needed to have lunch early. Did a 90 minute walking tour and then to the gym for a swim. It is such a shame the outdoor pool has been closed for the winter as the weather has been so good recently. I sat outside anyway for 15 minutes after my sauna - to cool off and get some Vit D - it was lovely and warm. 

Meal 1 - sliced apple with hazelnut butter

Meal 2 - 3 fried eggs on spinach with mayo

Meal 3 - lamb chops with Greek Broccoli (Well Fed p117) 

Happy with that! It's almost bedtime this side of the pond. Night night x

Good day today. Slept in so had a quick breakfast as I needed to have lunch early. Did a 90 minute walking tour and then to the gym for a swim. It is such a shame the outdoor pool has been closed for the winter as the weather has been so good recently. I sat outside anyway for 15 minutes after my sauna - to cool off and get some Vit D - it was lovely and warm. 

Meal 1 - sliced apple with hazelnut butter

Meal 2 - 3 fried eggs on spinach with mayo

Meal 3 - lamb chops with Greek Broccoli (Well Fed p117) 

Happy with that! It's almost bedtime this side of the pond. Night night x

Sharyn, remember even your "quick" (or small?) breakfast should still fit the template!!

Hi everyone. I started on the 15th and didn't notice is forum. Day 5 over and excited about day 6. I'm always doing dishes but other than the first hour after I wake up, I'm feeling really good. I'm so excited to see this forum of people all together. I'm jumping in with you all here as I'm assume its going to get harder as we get close to Halloween (at least for me since I have kids...and there will be candy).

@dd14 I'm doing the AIP too. I have been having the racing heart symptoms in the morning but they go away with food. I feel like its low blood sugar. I have been advised to get more protein and fat into my diet. I made sure to have protein ready to go so I as soon as I wake up, I can eat it.

Day 6 done.  I agree that the cost of this food plan is higher.  We eat very little processed food when not on whole30, but cars are cheap.  That is why they used to put a loaf of bread on the table with butter.  A cheap way to fill the family.  But I feel so much better.  Then there are the things that I am saving money on.  Wine!  That adds up in a hurry.  Diet soda, at $1.10 per day.  Meals out.  Those savings add up to this plan being very affordable. 

Someone was commenting on having to get up to the bathroom during the night.  BUMMER.  I have noticed the opposite.  I am sleeping through the night nearly every night.  Most unusal for me.  I also fall asleep almost instantly.  My body still isn't liking six hours of sleep.  I would have to give up dinner to get to bed earlier.  I hope your sleep pattern improves soon!

Pre work out meal  2 small eggs scrambled, salad with avocado

Post workout meal sweet potato hash browns, chicken apple sausage

L paleo pad thai, grapes, mac nuts

D chicken tenders, sunshine sauce (1 tbsp), oven roasted butternut squash cubes, salad with tomatoes, coconut butter raspberries

Day 6 done.  I agree that the cost of this food plan is higher.  We eat very little processed food when not on whole30, but cars are cheap.  That is why they used to put a loaf of bread on the table with butter.  A cheap way to fill the family.  But I feel so much better.  Then there are the things that I am saving money on.  Wine!  That adds up in a hurry.  Diet soda, at $1.10 per day.  Meals out.  Those savings add up to this plan being very affordable. 

I am saving enough each week by not buying lattes and cake to treat us to some good meat. I can't afford organic every time but three days a week we eat the best I can afford - to the detriment of Costa's bottom line :)  Makes me happy. 

Good Morning all and Happy Day 7.

I'm broiling some asparagus now and will make asparagus and shitake mushroom omelettes for Meal 1. (my long distance bf is in town this weekend :wub: .  He's still sleeping....he lives in Pacific Time.)  Plus my regular coffee with coconut milk.

Lunch will be leftover smoked brisket and pork, with leftover well fed green beans (I don't need bbq sauce!  The meat tastes delicious in the bean sauce!) and leftover cucumber salad.  

We haven't decided what to do for dinner.  I'll suggest cooking and staying in just because compliant restaurant food doesn't taste that good. 

My Well Fed 2 cookbook came in the mail this week.  I haven't looked at it yet!  But am looking forward to it. 

Enjoy the day.

Day 7/42 going on here in a wet but warm UK. 

Meal 1 did not follow the meal template as I was up late again. 

Meal 2 Curried Parsnip & Carrot Soup with Chilli Beef Sausages. Fabulous and all home made including the chicken stock in the soup. 

1395295_10151965506621763_2065031103_n.j

Meal 3 Shoulder of pork in the slow cooker for pulled pork with Swiss Chard cooked á la green bean recipe on p125 of Well Fed.

No exercise today - my left hip has developed a twinge in the past couple of days so I am resting it. Just going to snuggle with hubby and watch Django Unchained. 

Sharyn,

Your soup looks yummy.  I am making the bacon and butternut squash soup from civilized caveman.  I roasted 3# of squash, carrots, and two sweet potatos last night.  All set for another week.  I am making egg foo young for lunch. 

Yesterday I was wanting all kinds of off plan food.  I don't know if it was cravings, but I was feeling sad that I can't have a glass of wine, or a cookie, or or or......  I didn't have any problem not eating those things.  But it was a sad moment.  This is day 7.  I feel good, I am strong.

Keep posting I need some ideas for meals this week!

Sharyn,

Your soup looks yummy.  I am making the bacon and butternut squash soup from civilized caveman.  I roasted 3# of squash, carrots, and two sweet potatos last night.  All set for another week.  I am making egg foo young for lunch. 

Yesterday I was wanting all kinds of off plan food.  I don't know if it was cravings, but I was feeling sad that I can't have a glass of wine, or a cookie, or or or......  I didn't have any problem not eating those things.  But it was a sad moment.  This is day 7.  I feel good, I am strong.

Keep posting I need some ideas for meals this week!

Have you made the  Chocolate Chili from Well Fed yet? I made it for the first time last night: easy and tasty.

Have you made the  Chocolate Chili from Well Fed yet? I made it for the first time last night: easy and tasty.

I made the Chocolate Chili last night and it is fantastic.  It was easy and both my husband and 7 year old like it.  A clear win!

I'm making the braised cabbage someone talked about earlier from the nomnompaleo website.  Can't wait to try it.

I was the one running to the bathroom at bedtime.  I think the Kombucha might be having too much of a diuretic impact for evening.  I'm still playing around with that time, because that is usually the time of day I snack/drink wine.

Still waiting for some energy to show up...

Is the green bean recipe on Well Fed the coconut almond green beans?

yes it is. I left out the lime juice and coriander at the end as I didn't fancy that with pork. It was delicious. I will certainly make it again with other vegetables. 

And I am so going to make that chocolate chilli!

I am in the midst of working an accidental triple shift!  I showed up for my graveyard shift last night only to find out that the daytime person had been double booked (I am an emergency veterinarian), so I am stuck here doing the day shift.  I am sitting here with a bag of chicken sliders that I had made during a cook-up during my first whole30, with no veggies anywhere, because I thought I was just feeding myself one meal last night.

So I'm not having a "noncompliant" day, just not particularly able to follow the meal plan.  Let's see, M1 chicken slider; M2 chicken slider; M3, ummmm, chicken slider ......

Luckily my shift tonight is at a different hospital so I can swing by somewhere and buy some veggies.  I need to stop at Whole Foods to buy some dye-free candy for my kids, as I have been stressing over Halloween.  They are slipping candies to my daughter already, and her behavior is clearly altered.

Hubby is having meltdowns because I am cooking all the time.  Then complains because he doesn't like what I cook.  Life sure must be easier when you have a supportive partner.

The last 2 nights I haven't had a fruit snack before bed- woo hoo! Sugar dragon downgraded to a sugar lizard.

Today was a bad craving day. I'm seriously thinking about giving up tv for the next week. EVERYONE IS EATING DONUTS- every show, movie, commercial. It's torture.

Happy Monday!  Week #2!!

DrTracy...sorry to hear your hubby isn't happy with the meals.  What kinds of things have you been making?  Are you the only cook in the house?

I still have things like tortillas, buns, and rice and pasta in the house to supplement meals for my kids.  Maybe that would work for your husband?

I had a great dinner out at White Chocolate Grill.  (That name doesn't make sense to me!)  I called ahead to talk to someone in the kitchen about my restrictions.  I have found that this works better than talking to a waitstaff person because they usually don't know everything that  is on something.  I ordered prime rib with no au jus and a side of plain horseradish, steamed broccoli and a mixed green salad.  I brought dressing from home for my salad and brought a spoonful of mayo to mix the horseradish into.  It was delicious.

I've got meals 1 and 2 planned for today, but am going to need to stop at the grocery store for dinner.  I took some Chocolate Chili out of the freezer last night, but don't think it'll be thawed in time for dinner tonight.

Have a great day. 

Day 8/30 started with a better frame of mind. Week 1 was a mourning period for me. I was focused on junk food. I feel like I have better control today. My running has been ok. Training for another Marathon in November. I'm not expecting a PR, just another try at using UCan as a fueling source during my runs. My goal for the next marathon is to finish under 5hr. My weekly goal for whole 30 is to:1. Continue to beat the sugar dragon 2. Stop thinking about the scale 3. Sleep better. Good luck to all.

Hi all, I started on October 14 too!

To recap...days 2 and 4 were by far the worst. Day 4 I actually had to leave work and go home to take a nap. Days 3 and 5 were ok, not good but not bad either. Days 6 and 7 were actually good - I slept through the night both nights and woke up around 7:30 - 8:00 ready to go for the day. That might not sound like such a great feat, but I'm a terrible sleeper, so getting out of bed in the morning is always a challenge. It didn't last though - slept awfully last night.

As far as food, I've spent a ton on groceries and need to figure out how to plan better. I have a lot of beautiful veggies from the CSA, but I need to figure out what to do with them before things start going bad. I wish I had room for a deep freezer - there are several farms around where you can buy a quarter of a grass-fed cow and they'll butcher and vacuum seal it for you.

I'm struggling with eating a big breakfast - my usual is a hard boiled egg or yogurt, and coffee. A full meal in the morning is an adjustment.

My boyfriend is thankfully very supportive and is trying to adjust his cooking too. I usually go to his place for dinner a couple nights a week when he has his son, so it's important for him to be on board! He was marveling at the deliciousness of the sweet potato hash (with pork belly) and the short ribs I made yesterday. Direct quote: "what kind of diet is this?" I'd love for him to try to do this, he has a massive sugar addiciton. But I'm not being pushy about it - if I have great results and he sees those, then he'll make that decision for himself if and when he's ready.

Started today out with a slow-roasted short rib (and carrots that were in the slow cooker too), an egg fried in ghee, and a whole tomato that came in the CSA produce box. Lunch will probably be a salad of some sort because I have an excess of salad greens that need to get eaten.

drtracyb - It sounds like you did a great job making the best out of a tough situation.

snowflower - Wow, you handled the whole eating out thing really well.  I'm just trying to avoid going out for this W30, it is complicated enough when I'm doing all the prepping/cooking.

Jo - Love the new focus!

CGinDC - Glad you are having support from BF.  I'm hoping my W30 is going to inspire some changes in my DH as well.  He's been asking lots of questions.

Bad sleep last night, up for hours after going to bed.  Not as tired as I would expect for how little sleep I got.  Natural Calm does not seem to be having the desired calming effect.  I even tried taking it about 30 minutes before heading to bed, to give it a chance to kick in, but no improvement.

I'm excited for lunch, chocolate chili!!!

Hi everyone!  Hope all are hanging in there well on the plan.  I am doing pretty good, some changes lately (not all good), energy is better by a smidgen I notice, I am a little more positive overall, cravings still pretty well gone.  The main thing I notice is my stomach feels larger and more bloated and I've had a few bouts of diarrhea the last day or two.  I read this is normal but still not fun.  I take comfort in that the plan is working, one way or another.

I made this Cabbage Sausage Delight from www.wholefamilystrong.com, dish last night that was good, even the family tolerated it pretty well.  

Big success yesterday, it was our monthly potluck at church yesterday.  Which of course you know equals recipe for disaster.  I managed to sit and visit with people while they ate all that potluck food and I waited to eat my healthy meal until we were on our way home.  I was not hungry, and I enjoyed visiting with everyone without me stuffing myself!  Normally by the end of church service I am really hungry and I am READY to get home and eat ASAP.  Yesterday was soooo different and I felt calm, in control, and honestly not hungry even with people eating all around me after church.  This Whole30 MUST be working, the proof for me is in my day yesterday for sure.  There was even an upsetting situation that had me riled up emotionally and I still didn't feel like eating to drown it out.  I call that a success!

This week is going to be a challenge, we are hunting Tuesday-Sunday this week (so you won't hear much from me after Tuesday until next week).  Anyway, we always have beans, stews, french dip sandwiches, etc.  I tried to "healthy it up" as much as I could for my sake but had to leave the traditional menu alone for the guy's sake.lol  So I am going prepared with my own eats.  I am going to make a few things like paleo deviled eggs, mini meatballs in paleo BBQ sauce, take extra time to chop and slice veggies in a fun shape or way so I will have appetizing foods I can look forward to so I won't feel deprived not having the normal hearty foods of elk camp.  I also need some packable meals for the hiking portions of the hunting process as well.  I am thinking veggies, fruits, leftover steaks, nuts and hard boiled eggs will be my go to packables.

I didn't hunt during buck season this year because my joints hurt so badly, I couldn't imagine hiking and hunting.:(  So I didn't buy my tag and just stayed in camp.:(  This time just a couple weeks later, thanks to Whole30, I feel like I could do a little hiking.  My joints still feel stiff, but they don't hurt near as bad and I think the hiking might limber them up a little.  I can hope, otherwise I will be sitting on stand more which bores me to tears....but at least I can still hunt.  My husband is really excited we get to hunt together again after 10+ year break for me to stay in camp and care for the little ones etc.

My husband is so supportive, and proud of me for doing this.  I feel bad I keep having to make allowances for myself why I can't have this meal or that.  I am trying not to be a pain but he has been patient and understanding.:)  The kids have been great too, they are willing to try anything new and are supportive so far.  Day 8 so far is good, especially beings it is a Monday.  I hope this week will fly by with being gone and so busy.  This first week went by pretty slowly for me.;)

I enjoy all your posts about your journey through this too!  I look forward to seeing how we all are able to continue and the payoffs for everyone. 

Archived