Starting October 14th - anyone want to join me?

primalamy

From the reintro forum posts it looks like I wasn't the only one confused about reintroducing schedule. So do I go back to whole30 for 3 days then intro beans (I don't think I want to reintroduce grains yet). I am more interested in being able to add plant and dairy proteins since I am supposed to be limiting meats so much for the gout/joint pain issues. I am feeling less pain by the way! Yay! I am nervous about going back to whole30 because I hurt so bad on it....because of the meat I guess. Can you give me ideas to be compliant with only 1 serving of meat per day? I think I can have egg whites they are lower purine but I get sick of them quickly.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like from the shopping list for a vegetarian Whole30 there is some forms of dairy and legumes in there to get necessary protein.  So I am not sure where to go from here.  I feel better pain-wise with dairy included these past 2 days and reducing meats.....I haven't noticed any concerned effects from dairy so far.  I am eating Whole30 compliant so far today.  I will do that tomorrow too and then try legumes.  I am going to get sick of egg whites at this rate. lol

It is more challenging than I thought to combine the two eating ways gout diet and Whole30.  Generally how long does the reintro process take for most people?  I am trying to make it at Whole30 accurate so I can have the full effect of the experience and possible benefits as well yet in the end it IS important to listen to my own body and decide what it functions best on in all areas (digestion, cravings, mood, pain levels, and energy levels).  I admit pain levels are highest on my list for obvious reasons, I am TIRED of hurting all the time!

Last night I went to a bachelorette party for the first time in 10+ years.  I didn't drink anything except water, I don't drink anyway except for a very rare glass of wine twice this last year to see if I could find any white wines I liked lol) and I had 2 mini grilled chicken skewers and nothing else I ate a nice full Whole30 meal before leaving so I wouldn't be tempted to eat non-compliant things).  I had a great time laughing with the ladies but I left around 9pm to get to bed.  I am not a partier so I felt good about being there and supporting the bride, but I didn't feel the need to stay for the whole thing and regret it this morning by being overly tired.  

I have a suspicion I will end up on more of the clean eating side of things once this process is all done.  Clean eating with no or VERY low grain.   I really wanted to be paleo but at the same time maybe it isn't quite the right fit with the gout issues.  Time will tell.

From the reintro forum posts it looks like I wasn't the only one confused about reintroducing schedule. So do I go back to whole30 for 3 days then intro beans (I don't think I want to reintroduce grains yet). I am more interested in being able to add plant and dairy proteins since I am supposed to be limiting meats so much for the gout/joint pain issues. I am feeling less pain by the way! Yay! I am nervous about going back to whole30 because I hurt so bad on it....because of the meat I guess. Can you give me ideas to be compliant with only 1 serving of meat per day? I think I can have egg whites they are lower purine but I get sick of them quickly.

Does fish/seafood cause the same issues? Other than egg whites, you don't really have any options until your reintro's are done.

You can reintro as much or as little as you like - the full reintro is about 2 weeks as outlined in the book. You may decide to leave out some things, which would make it shorter.

Yes seafood and fish are also high in purines, although probably not as much as red meats?  Poultry is on the lesser side of the purines I believe.  I think I will limp through the reinto with eggs and a few poultry meats and see if I can get through it.  I just have 1 more day whole30 then I will do legumes intro and a couple more days whole30 and see how that goes.  I don't plan to introduce anything else yet.  Waiting on grains a while (as long as I can hold out) lol.

Thanks for the help!

It dawned on me that for the past couple days I've been in a really BAD mood.  Like angry, irritable, emotionally distant from loved ones, and just negative.  At first I thought I was just trying to come to terms with the gout diagnosis and that I was sorting out emotions, which there was some of that.  The more I think about it the more I think it might be dairy.  While I didn't have physical symptoms it appears I *might* have emotional ones.  

Granted, there are a couple other things going on.  My husband has been supportive overall but there have been a few things that have bothered me that he certainly hasn't been supportive about during the process (even though he thinks he is trying).  There has also been some new stress bothering me and I feel angry/disappointed that I haven't felt all better after the whole30 was complete.  I also don't want to go anywhere, I want to stay home and be sulky, I am normally a home body and love being home anyway, but now I feel even more determined to stay home and be negative.

I wanted this whole30 to be THE answer to why I felt the way I did before (and still).  Since it wasn't the cure all (pain wise) it has me cranky and scared that my health issues are something more serious.  I always figured if I'd just clean up my diet I could be all better if I chose to.  I hope that makes sense.

I am sooooo cranky!  I don't know how to eat with the low purines and not have dairy as a source of protein.  I am angry about that and that this new way of life will be so drastic from what I am used to.  

See?  Angry, bad mood.  This is no fun.  I am eating whole30 again but it seems to be taking a bit to get out of my system.  Dare I try dairy again after this stress calms down (and after I am back on whole30 a few days) and see if it was a fluke?  Has anyone else only had emotional./mood symptoms with re-intro of dairy?

Ok I've been doing great getting back on Whole30.  I can stay on Whole30 plan AFTER the Whole30 is "officially" over during a weekend like I had last weekend I am IMPRESSED!  We had a wedding that we were supplying the meat for and we were up late several nights in a row, busy busy busy, and I still found time to pack my foods, and was not tempted to have any off limits foods the entire weekend.  So yeah for that!

Like I said in earlier posts there has been a lot of stress the last week or so leading up to the wedding, cooking for 125 people makes me nervous so there was some of that in there.  Several things with my husband cropped up in the middle of that and I was cranky.  Also the wind had been howling for a couple days and DH reminded me that I get really cranky when the wind is blowing really hard like that (especially when it is really loud at night) and he said the last time it was really windy like that I was very irritable.  So he isn't so sure it is dairy related.  Since it all happened at the same time I wondered if dairy was the culprit (the only new thing in the diet).  Anyway I have been back on Whole30 for 4+ days and feeling back to my normal Whole30 (but with less gout pain than before thanks to less red meat, some dried cherries and increased Vitamin C doses, and the immune supplement the Dr put me on).  Even when back on Whole30, I've had short bouts of moodiness and crankiness so it is probably more what I am dealing with lately than diet (or it could be cycle related as well, I am worse mood-wise for the estrogen dominant phase of my cycle than the later part).

So I am trying dairy again today....I am nervous.  I had some cheese on my salad for lunch.  Hopefully there will be no issues.

I am prepping foods today for a good rest of the week.  I'm smoking and roasting 2 homegrown chickens today as well as cooking up some roasted veggies (broccoli &cauliflower combo and then some butternut), spaghetti squash and I am thinking about making a fritatta as well.  Once the chicken is done I want to throw together a tasty chicken salad combo for a go-to packable meal.

How is everyone else doing with re-intros so far?

So I'm still not sure about dairy.  After having cheese with lunch, I felt a little negative once DH got home last night, but not sure if it's because of what we are going through or because dairy is MAKING me feel that way. lol  So I am back on whole30 for a couple days and I will try again with dairy.  Re-intros will take a while at this rate! lol  I feel great today, in fact I feel as close to pain-free as I have a long time!  So yeah!  My stomach is flatter than I've seen it in a long time, and I am starting to feel just a little more energy here and there.  I still get tired in the early evenings and am ready for bed by 8 pm but I see improvements!

At least dairy isn't sending me into a physical/digestive tailspin.  I just need to weed out the emotional aspect clearly before I move on I think.

Glad to hear you are feeling better on your new regimen.  My reintros seem to be taking forever, I'm getting a little burned out on them.

So glad you to hear you are finally having some success.  You'll figure out dairy, that one has been a strange one for me as well.

Maybe you want to start a log over in the post section?

I am focusing on the concept of graduating to a Paleo lifestyle from Whole30 - NOT graduating to my old Standard American Diet.  I have come to the conclusion that I do not want a "reintroduction" of foods outside of the Paleo lifestyle.  What I want is to start a liveable Paleo lifestyle - i.e., learning how to make Paleo breads (pancakes, muffins, crackers and crusts); figuring out how much sweetener I can add to my coffee without triggering the sugar demon. 

That is a great philosophy!  Good thinking.  If I wasn't needing to limit the protein from meat sources I probably wouldn't be so interested in trying to reintro dairy.  I haven't had it in 2 days and I am not too anxious to try again.  I don't miss it much, and I've been able to reduce my pain levels considerably by limiting my red meat to once every other day, and rely on more poultry.  I have yet to try legumes or other oils either.  DH and I did set a goal to start dating once per week and we might go out to dinner soon so some oils will be consumed that way I am sure.  We haven't eaten out in 7 weeks now so I haven't been in a hurry to try eating out.

With the holidays coming I am stockpiling a few recipes that can fit the paleo template and still have a treat.  I am interested in paleo hot cocoa specifically for the Christmas tree hunting family adventure where we all go up in the snow four wheeling and traipsing through the woods, there is nothing like hot cocoa by a bonfire to warm up.  I could probably substitute some homemade unsweetened apple cider with spices added, or a nice apple spice tea too.  Not a huge deal if I don't find a recipe for hot cocoa but it would be a nice treat.  I would also like to be able to make some kind of "sugar" cookie, gingerbread, or chocolate chip cookie, one of our favorite things is making cookies as a family.  We have all these activities we do as a family in combination with our Advent calendar.  The kids would be disappointed if we didn't keep doing at least some of the traditions.  So I think if I have a plan in place it will be easy to stay on track.  I also want to move the memories and traditions away from food and more towards the activities/memories instead.  

Archived