Starting October 14th - anyone want to join me?

primalamy

In my first whole 30 everything tasted terrible for the first few days including my coffee. Hang in there, Creamer is a habit that needs breaking. I started out using coconut cream, and progressed to black. Sometimes a little cinnamon.

I'm going to go check out the meatloaf muffins. Mike would like those. Tonight will be Thai meatballs, zucchini noodles, and a veggie to be named at the grocery store. I'm glad dinner is mostly done at home.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like most of you are doing great!  Those of you struggling with the coffee thing, I hope it gets easier.  I am not a coffee drinker but I certainly can understand foods you find hard to give up.:)  My sister said coffee was actually one of the things that was causing her joint pain....she ditched it and feels better.  Hope that isn't it for you that live on coffee. lol

I need a little advice.....about winter squash like butternut, acorn, delicata....I normally enjoy this each fall (slathered with butter and sprinkled with brown sugar of course.)  So with the whole30 is there a great recipe out there that you all like?  I overcooked mine last night and the texture it WAY too mushy and makes me want to gag, something about the flavor combo and the texture is not good.  I either need to mash it completely or not cook it so long so it is tender but not mushy.  Is there a preferred cooking and or prep method.  I've only ever cut them in half and baked them.  

So far so good today.  I went to a friends house and she was so gracious to send us home with seriously the MOST beautiful chocolate  chip cookies for the family.  They were a vision, however honestly I was not tempted to eat one.  AMAZING, I felt fine, I didn't even feel like whining to myself about not being able to have one.  It wasn't about that, it was about choosing something better.  I got home, put the cookies away and told the kids they could have one once the house was picked up and they'd had a healthy dinner.  I don't feel tempted even now to have one.  This Whole30 thing is really awesome!

In case you can't tell I am really enjoying the freedom from cravings!  I feel genuinely full after meals now too. I don't have that lingering sense of hunger that begs to be filled even after a full meal.

Ok so any advice on squash recipes?  I have a lot of squash to try different recipes on, we grew a bunch this year (spaghetti squash, acorn, butternut, and delicata types).

Ok so any advice on squash recipes?  I have a lot of squash to try different recipes on, we grew a bunch this year (spaghetti squash, acorn, butternut, and delicata types).

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/2346026303/roasted-butternut-squash-in-lard

Here's one I've made a few times.  I love it.  I use ghee instead of lard (because I don't have any lard).  It's good with breakfast, lunch and dinner!

My morning coffee has been my biggest struggle so far!  I've tried it with coconut milk and little coconut oil hoping it would take away some of the bitterness, but no luck.  Are you enjoying it with the almond milk?  

i normally drink it with either almond/coconut milk blend or just almond milk at home. but the blend has carrageen in it  :angry: but almond milk is ok, i may try to cut the almond milk out

I'm just drinking mine black. Between the drastic changes to my diet and the fact that my body already thinks it's Daylight Saving Time, there's zero chance I'd survive my 5(ish)am drive to the gym without a caffeine fix.

I did give it up for about 45 days last summer, but remembering the horrible withdrawal headaches keep me from wanting to do it again.

Good luck either way!

i tried giving coffee up once, when i juiced for THREE days and about died from the withdrawal and mainly the work i was putting into juicing.  :unsure:  do u think it will hinder weight loss? i am doing the whole30 to improve my health and sleeping issues, but ultimately would like to lose weight with this as well

Sounds like most of you are doing great!  Those of you struggling with the coffee thing, I hope it gets easier.  I am not a coffee drinker but I certainly can understand foods you find hard to give up. :)  My sister said coffee was actually one of the things that was causing her joint pain....she ditched it and feels better.  Hope that isn't it for you that live on coffee. lol

I need a little advice.....about winter squash like butternut, acorn, delicata....I normally enjoy this each fall (slathered with butter and sprinkled with brown sugar of course.)  So with the whole30 is there a great recipe out there that you all like?  I overcooked mine last night and the texture it WAY too mushy and makes me want to gag, something about the flavor combo and the texture is not good.  I either need to mash it completely or not cook it so long so it is tender but not mushy.  Is there a preferred cooking and or prep method.  I've only ever cut them in half and baked them.  

So far so good today.  I went to a friends house and she was so gracious to send us home with seriously the MOST beautiful chocolate  chip cookies for the family.  They were a vision, however honestly I was not tempted to eat one.  AMAZING, I felt fine, I didn't even feel like whining to myself about not being able to have one.  It wasn't about that, it was about choosing something better.  I got home, put the cookies away and told the kids they could have one once the house was picked up and they'd had a healthy dinner.  I don't feel tempted even now to have one.  This Whole30 thing is really awesome!

In case you can't tell I am really enjoying the freedom from cravings!  I feel genuinely full after meals now too. I don't have that lingering sense of hunger that begs to be filled even after a full meal.

stuffed acorn squash

• 1 large acorn squash

• 1 lb. (500 g) ground beef

• 1 onion

• 1 apple (any variety)

• 6 slices of bacon (sugar free if doing a Whole30)

• *1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped (or 1 tsp dried rosemary)

• 2 tsp dried thyme

• 2 tsp fennel seeds

• 1 tsp ground sage

• 1 tsp black pepper

• 1/2 tsp cinnamon

• 1/2 tsp sea salt

• 1/4 tsp nutmeg

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet or dish with foil or parchment paper.

2. Cut the squash in half and scoop the seeds out. Place on the baking sheet and roast until the flesh is tender, approximately 45 minutes. Remove and allow to cool to the touch. **While the squash is baking, prepare the stuffing.

3. Dice the apple and onion into medium-sized pieces. Slice the bacon into pieces.

4. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the bacon. Add the onion and cook for 5-10 minutes until softened and translucent. Add the apples and cook for another 5-10 minutes. Remove the bacon / onion / apple mixture to a large bowl.

5. In the same skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef (note: if the beef has yielded a lot of fat and is not grass-fed, you may want to drain it before adding the spices and herbs). Add all spices and herbs: rosemary, thyme, fennel seeds, sage, pepper, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Pour the ground beef into the same large bowl. Stir to combine.

6. When the squash is cool to the touch, use a spoon to scoop out some of the flesh and mix into the beef.

7. Use a spoon to fill the squash boats with the beef mixture.

8. Return the squash to the oven and bake another 15 minutes at 375 degrees F until everything is heated through.

I got this recipe during my first whole 30 from our forum.  I don't know the actual source of the recipe.  I have made this a few times.  I liked it best with ground pork.  I am thinking of making this for Thanksgiving.  

Hey guys! I'm starting Whole30 today and I saw your active group so I thought I'd join in for support. Like some others in here, I am a sugar addict (especially after dinner- I crave dessert like nothing else) and my goal is to break that habit this month throughout this process. I almost completed a Whole30 in late Aug- Sep, but grad school stress got in the way. This time I won't let that happen.

I'm currently muching on a few almonds and getting ready to workout in my living room. Good luck to everyone today!

Day 4/39 going well so far. I woke up early so went for a swim before work. But the traffic was bad so ran out of time for the planned omelette in the gym cafe. I work above an out of town shopping complex so bought a banana and a jar of light tahini and used one the HB eggs I had planned for lunch. Odd combo and a bit light on veggies(!!) but it proved I can cope if I have too. BTW this place sells amazing cakes, pastries and artisan bread so I am realy pleased that I didn't even consider buying any of that.

Lunch was a large spinach salad with Prosciutto ham and the other HB egg

Supper will be pork tenderloin cooked with apples and onions and I am going to make a glaze from Well Fed to posh up the pork.

My other work trousers feel really loose on the upper thigh today and my bra cups are suddenly way too big! Loving how I feel and seeing these changes kicking in during my second consecutive Whole30. I wonder what the scales will say in another three weeks?

Onward and downward x

Yeah squash recipes!  Thank you to....Cortner1195, SharynF, Snowflower, Abderino21, I am going to try them all.  They sound so much better than my mush I ended up with. :)

So last night I woke up with rashy skin, itchy and bumpy in a few places.  Also woke up with two new zits (probably in the works before Whole30 started?)  I feel very itchy since starting this, I've been pretty itchy in the last few weeks but it seems worse the last couple days.  Hmmmm.  Scalp seems drier too.  I imagine my body has a lot of adjusting to do so I will hang in there and see if it improves.  Wondering if this is possibly a detox sort of reaction?

Overall I feel pretty good in the stomach department but I do notice the urge to gag a lot more at foods, also I don't really like/want food as much now.  Any food healthy or not (neither has me excited about eating) and the stuff that I probably would want like fruits I should be moderately limiting for bet results. I know I have to eat to be healthy and not set myself up for failure by getting TOO hungry but food just isn't appealing like it used to be (in some ways I miss that) I don't miss the cravings though. I do wish the aches and pains would go away, I shouldn't feel THIS old at 35 years old.   I hope to not feel itchy soon too.  I still feel foggy headed, tired, and a little blah BUT those sinuses being clear is a good thing!  Only problem is, I think my hearing is more sensitive (which is good) but I find myself irritable because sounds startle me or "hurt" me more than before when my sinuses were clogged and my ears were dulled to sounds I guess.  Hard to explain but with 4 kids making noise all day my ears are sensitive the last couple days, and I want the TV more quiet and everyone to talk quieter than before.

Is it weird to say this is way easier than I thought and also harder in some ways than I thought?  Harder in that it seems like the days are creeping by and I can't wait to get to day 30 to see results and see what all I learn about my eating, and easier in that the freedom from cravings has made it easier to eat the right things and stay on plan easier than I imagined.

I think it helped a little that I did paleo for a few days before I went on Whole30 so it helped ease me into it a little.  So I've been paleo for a little over a week and this is my day 4 of Whole30.  I can't wait to try some squash today, thanks again for the recipes! ;)

Is it Day 4 already!?  I remember the first time around, the days seemed to crawl by.  This time it's much easier.  I don't need to go through the withdrawal symptoms.  For those of you with headaches, fuzziness, belly aches, digestive wackiness....I feel for you. I've been there.  It'll pass.  I think it was Day 8 when I was finally feeling good.

I do notice that I get tired earlier when I'm doing a Whole 30.  I think it may be related to cortisol.  I'm going with it and have gone to bed earlier than my son 2 nights this week.  Good thing is that I wake up refreshed and hungry and ready to go!  The same thing happened last time.  

Breakfast was a scotch egg (from Well Fed), braised cabbage/carrots/turnips with ghee, and coffee with coconut milk.

Lunch will be leftover Pad Thai (from Well Fed).  I threw in some julienned zucchini since I didn't have any spaghetti squash and it was yum-mee!

Dinner will be a challenge bc of activities with my kids.  We'll be out from 4:30-8pm.  I may have a mini meal before we leave at 4:30 and another when we return home.  The mini meals will likely be more leftover Pad Thai or another scotch egg with roasted kale.  I won't have time to cook or prepare anything new.

Have a fantastic day!

Day 3:

Post W.O-2 hard-boiled eggs, carrot sticks

M1: Grilled chicken breast and coconut almond green beans

M2:Leftover chicken squash and zucchini sautee over raw baby spinach, with raw almonds and shredded unsweetened coconut

M3: Grilled chicken breast with (batch #2) green beans and mashed cauliflower. Beans and cauliflower both cooked with coconut oil.

I'm starting to worry that I'm doing something "wrong", because I thought this would be much MUCH more difficult. I'm watching my mother--who wanted to do a Whole30 with me--struggle badly; aside from being very bloated yesterday, I haven't had any "negative" side effects. I'm taking the time to cook every. single. night., so I'm enjoying my food a lot more, and not just looking at it as a necessary evil or something to cram into my pie-hole. My meals have gotten veggie heavy as we've progressed, something that shocks my family, as I was formerly the world's #1 vegetable hater. Turns out, I just didn't know how to cook them properly.

I also think there's something to be said for actually plating each of your meals, as opposed to just eating out of the container you microwave it in. Even if it's just a few stacked paper plates at work, that presentation is still making a huge difference.

PS--Those green beans from Well Fed are ridiculous, and the "sauce" tastes like heaven drizzled on the mashed cauliflower (which, much to my surprise, was not gross).

Is it weird to say this is way easier than I thought and also harder in some ways than I thought?  Harder in that it seems like the days are creeping by and I can't wait to get to day 30 to see results and see what all I learn about my eating, and easier in that the freedom from cravings has made it easier to eat the right things and stay on plan easier than I imagined.

I feel the same way, Jules. Maybe the "hard" part is making the decision that you're committed to 30 days? Whatever the answer, I'm right there with you!

I forgot to post my meals yesterday. Breakfast was roasted chicken with veggies and guacamole. Lunch was beef stew. Dinner was grilled fish with tomatoes, onions, peppers and more guac.

Today's breakfast was more chicken with veggies and guac. Lunch is a tuna salad with olive oil, vinegar, celery, pickles, kalamata olives, capers and walnuts. I seasoned it with salt, pepper and dill. I am eating it on pieces of seaweed. It's sooo good. Not sure what I am going to do about dinner yet.

I also am already feeling the tiger's blood. I love it!

I cooked the squash recipe from Nom Nom Paleo this morning and it was really good, simple but I kept thinking how I probably burned more calories getting the squash peeled, cleaned out, and cut up than it was going to provide me in nutrition! lol  It was a lot of work to prep it but so much nicer to eat!  I didn't have lard (hope to soon, we have homegrown pork due to be slaughtered in a month or so and I will try rendering my own).  Anyway I used coconut oil in a light drizzled and tossed it then seasoned.  I cooked them a touch too long, I think I did smaller chunks than the recipe maybe so it cooked faster.  I will cut it back by 10 mins next time and see if they are more to my liking.  I liked them WAY better than the mush I had last time. :)  I will try another recipe next time and compare flavors.  

Thinking of trying to fit in some pilates or gentle stretching after a walk today to limber up the muscles and joints.  Still so stiff and achy I want some relief.  I am also trying to reach out more to friends for a visit (calling or visiting in person) as a nice distraction in the afternoons so I won't feel like this is dragging on so slowly.  It can be a long time between lunch and dinner around here. :)

Today's breakfast was 3 slices bacon (uncured, unsweetened), and 2 eggs cooked in a little coconut oil, small portion butternut squash, 5 grapes.  I should have eaten more veggies, but first thing in the morning veggies make me feel nauseous, I am going to keep trying to sneak them in heavier in the mornings.

For lunch I have a large spinach salad planned with fish (leftover from last night), cherry tomatoes, cukes, cashews and balsamic vinegar as a dressing.  Kinda a strange combo I know but it actually sounds good to me right now.  I'll add in some carrot sticks and celery too.

Dinner is a paleo stew with beets (very mild tasting beets), carrots, celery, onions, garlic, stew meat, might toss in some spinach leaves, bay leaves, beef bullion (will check labels) herbs & spices, and a few white potatoes for the family, but I will make sure not to select those in my bowl then it will be thickened with arrowroot powder (my first time using arrowroot powder we shall see how it goes).  If my flours arrive today from Amazon I *might* try some almond/coconut flour biscuits.  The family would appreciate something to go with the stew.  Not normally a biscuit fan, but the family enjoys them so I can try it and see if they'd accept that type of biscuit instead of the normal kind we have occasionally.  

I hope it turns out good.

Theresa, don't plan snacks - you need an extra meal or two!! Having 4-5 meals is recommended for BFing mums, making sure that they all fit the template with your protein, fats and vegies.

Holy Mackeral!  I get to eat more?  I like that! 

Now does someone want to come over and help me figure out 4-5 meals that are easy with a baby?  :D

Day 3 was rough- I was definitely grouchy from battling the sugar dragon with late night being the worst.  Ate a few apple slices instead just to prevent a trip to the store for cookies.  I don't want to make a habit of a late night munch but I was desperate!  Hoping that starts to subside soon with no need for anything.   One day at a time!

PS--Those green beans from Well Fed are ridiculous, and the "sauce" tastes like heaven drizzled on the mashed cauliflower (which, much to my surprise, was not gross).

OOOOHHHH!  I'm making those tomorrow night.  I've never had them before. I've always loved plain vegetables so haven't made any effort to doctor them up in any way, but am having a friend over for dinner and thought I'd try something different and "special".  We're having local grass fed beef burgers, sweet potato fries (in coconut oil), creamy cucumber salad (also from Well Fed) and the green beans.

What do you all think.....are sweet potato fries off limits?  I had them during my last Whole 30 and didn't have any issues with them, but since then I hear that others avoid them because they are SWYPO (sex with your pants on).  I toss them with coconut oil and bake them.....I'm not sure how that's different that the nomnom paleo butternut squash cubes. 

Holy Mackeral!  I get to eat more?  I like that! 

Now does someone want to come over and help me figure out 4-5 meals that are easy with a baby?  :D

I wouldn't bother planning "extra" meals.  I would just eat 1 meal multiple times.  Does that make sense?  So if you make chicken salad make enough for 2 meals and eat it twice that day.  Heck....make enough for 4 meals and eat it again tomorrow!  I don't mind eating the same thing multiple times, but I know some people don't care for that.  I ate a chicken hash for breakfast for 4 days in a row and I didn't even like the taste (it was made with apple juice and was too sweet for my taste).  I ate it because it had expensive free range organic chicken in it and I spent a lot of time preparing it.  It wasn't delicious tasting, but it was good food.

Sounds like everyone is doing well so far.  I'm definitely a little envious of the ladies who are on their second time and are missing out on the "carb flu".  I can't wait to be feeling good too!  Thanks for keeping me motivated!

I ended up eating the tbsp of almond butter for lunch yesterday.  I probably should have had another, as I got hungry fairly quickly.  I was happy that I was able to limit myself to what I had decided.

I'm definitely feeling better today than yesterday.  Still pretty tired, but so much better.

I'm definitely going to buy some veggies for roasting tonight, loving all the recipe ideas.

Is anyone else hearing the siren call of the scale?  It keeps sneaking up on me, how much I would really like to weigh in.  Ridiculous because at this point I'm sure I'm up and I wouldn't stop because of being up.  But I keep hearing that little voice...

snowflower - I don't think sweet potato fries are an issue if that isn't a trigger food for you.

ThoughtsFromJules - I'm definitely with you on this being easier and harder than I thought, and in very unexpected ways!

Sounds like everyone is doing good!  I love reading about everyone's experience.  Outside of being extra tired and fighting my cravings (especially that glass of wine at night), I haven't had too much difficulty.  I keep waiting for a bad headache or some other day 4 symptom to kick in, but hasn't so far.  Hope that doesn't mean I'm doing something wrong!  :-)

Just got an invite from a friend to go to a little get-together on Friday night.  I hate saying no to these things, but I know myself - and so worried I'll give in to the temptation to have a glass of wine with girlfriends.....

Thanks for sharing the recipes.  I have found that taking a tablespoon of coconut oil with some cinnamon has really helped managed hunger and cravings.  

Keep the faith!  

Thanks for sharing the recipes.  I have found that taking a tablespoon of coconut oil with some cinnamon has really helped managed hunger and cravings.  

If you're truly hungry (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), then have a mini-meal, including at least a protein and fat.

Also, look at your prior meals to make sure you're eating enough and following the meal template for every meal.

If my flours arrive today from Amazon I *might* try some almond/coconut flour biscuits.  The family would appreciate something to go with the stew.  Not normally a biscuit fan, but the family enjoys them so I can try it and see if they'd accept that type of biscuit instead of the normal kind we have occasionally. 

I would avoid making biscuits. Or at least eating them. That definitely seems like SWYPO.

What do you all think.....are sweet potato fries off limits?  I had them during my last Whole 30 and didn't have any issues with them, but since then I hear that others avoid them because they are SWYPO (sex with your pants on).  I toss them with coconut oil and bake them

This, on the other hand, I would consider fine.

The difference is that sweet potato fries are just chopped sweet potatoes baked. It's just a different presentation from a baked one. The biscuits, though, is an entire preparation solely to imitate something else.

I'm jealous of all of you people feeling the positive effects. My skin has gotten worse, and I had my worst allergies of the year today. And don't even get me started on digestion...

The bright side is that I haven't had any real desire to eat any garbage from day 1. I just kind of committed myself to this and my brain seems to have accepted that.

Keep it up! The rough part is passing. Pretty soon we'll all get to the nice pleasant area where we feel good and happy all the time. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...

Day 1 almost over for me! I'm doing pretty well, though I was hungry for dinner early so I need to make more food to eat at lunch.

Breakfast was 2 fried eggs (in ghee), green beans with salt, and a banana.

Lunch was an extra large salad with veggies and avacado/salsa dressing, 2 fried eggs, and an orange

Dinner is cauliflower fried rice with chicken and a side of sauteed broccoli and mushrooms(I love cauliflower and broccoli!) and a sweet potato with ghee.

I do like to have at least two raw fruits a day because of their health promoting properties- does anyone know how much fruit is too much?

I didn't make the biscuits, and I couldn't find a bullion without traces of no-no items....so I had to get creative and pray it will taste ok without it in the stew.  I probably won't make the biscuits since the family will be home late and it will be a quick meal anyway.  I do want to experiment with the flours and see if I can make something decent so I will know if paleo is something I can reasonably swap to after whole30.  We shall see.

So I do have a newbie question, I keep seeing the term "tiger's blood" what the heck is that?  I realize from the context it seems to be a feeling or a state of being, and seems to be a good one, but I am curious where the term came from and why people use it in this forum. lol  

Having some strange digestive events, nothing painful or disturbing just different and more frequent than usual as well.  I am so hopeful I will start to feel better in the joints soon, oh and the acne, and itchiness too!

Archived