Exercise and Eating After Training for an Endurance Event

Robin D

So my last (third) Whole 15+ Whole 30 (I made an executive to take a dinner off for my anniversary) went really well. I had been eating fairly well before that, training like a beast for an endurance event.

Since I finished my Whole 15/30, though, I've been struggling with sugar. I haven't struggled with sugar in years, but suddenly I've really got a problem--I feel hungry and like I "need" something sweet every day. In fact, I've been hungry all the time, regardless of the fact that I've been following the meal template (minus my treat) every day.

In fact, I've had a hard time with re-adjusting how much I exercise, too, since I finished my training. Has any other endurance athlete had this problem? It has helped that I've been frustrated with my progress at CF (part of this comes from me comparing myself to other people--younger, fitter, childless, single women mostly).

If you are hungry all the time than you probably are not eating enough especially if you are training really hard. Are you having your pre and post workout meals? Are you eating on the higher end of the meal template? Are you including enough starchy vegetables?

I do find some days I'm hungrier than others so I eat more. Simple as that. Part of this journey is listening to our bodies. As far as cutting back on my training that can be hard. I finished my race season and have cut way back on my running in favor of more strength training. I was really ready for a break though.

Here is a link to a post I just made for reference. http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/14106-fran-in-309-athletic-success-following-w30-meal-templates/

Remember that you are now using a completely different engine now that you have finished endurance training and doing CF. endurance training engines are four cylinders that will sip " gas" for long periods of time and your crossfit engine is a Chevy big block with 6 barrel carbs

You need time to readjust, build your CP battery up, your burning a lot of fuel fast and your craving! I'd cut out all fruit and limit starchy veg to post WO meal.... Give yourself about a month to readjust.....

I think part of my "problem", honestly, is psychological. I'm frustrated I'm not making progress like I want to and I STILL can't do certain things RXd (i.e. double unders, kip more than two pull ups in a row, handstand push ups, etc.--forget Fran in 3:09, Fenderbender!), although I have had some progress with my strength in the past week or so.

My workouts aren't nearly as gratifying as they were when I was doing my long rides. I'm sure my mood hasn't been helped with my out of control days with sugar; bad eating habits lead to frustration which leads to a snowball effect on my mood.

It's been 3 months since my event. I thought I'd be really humming as far as my fitness was concerned.

Hi. I'm going to stray just a bit off the eating side of things here. I'm a sugar-a-holic and struggle everyday like never before! Recently I went to a doctor about ...well that is coming next. (I mean to imply nothing by this reply, I just want to share in case it might help). :)  ...My doctor felt all my symptoms, especially the sugar craving were hormonal. Sugar cravings is one of the lesser known, but more negative symptom of peri-menopause (other lesser known symptoms include mental changes (mood swings, poor mental attitude, anxiety attacks, and there's more). I'm new to my meds and am hoping the 90-day mark, or any day now, is a turning point for me and these insane sugar-cravings. This doctor believes a hormonal re-balancing paired with this awesome eating style can help me get a handle on normalcy. :) Oh-if there is interest, this is Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT), none of that synthetic, breast cancer causing crap. 

I think part of my "problem", honestly, is psychological. I'm frustrated I'm not making progress like I want to and I STILL can't do certain things RXd (i.e. double unders, kip more than two pull ups in a row, handstand push ups, etc.--forget Fran in 3:09, Fenderbender!), although I have had some progress with my strength in the past week or so.

My workouts aren't nearly as gratifying as they were when I was doing my long rides. I'm sure my mood hasn't been helped with my out of control days with sugar; bad eating habits lead to frustration which leads to a snowball effect on my mood.

It's been 3 months since my event. I thought I'd be really humming as far as my fitness was concerned.

It's all about little baby steps.....I still can't string more than 3 dubs in a row. Give your self short term goals..... Sugar is like crack, stay away....nourish your body and rest.... You have a lot on your plate....go at your own pace and you will see improvements :)

Just after I posted this I made some serious headway with HSPUs.  I was doing them with a plate.....but TOTALLY could have done them without.  Still no progress with those ^%$#ing double unders.  I'll get it.  I just need to chip, chip, chip away at them.  Its so hard to keep your perspective on one's own progress:  in January I couldn't eek out decent rope climb and in August suddenly did 13! Its hard doing this and being goal oriented.

Archived