Day 5- Crabby, Depressed and Blah!

jmcip

After a successful Whole 30 in April followed by a lot of off roading and several unsuccessful attempts to get back on track I am on Day 5 and feeling Crabby, Depressed and Blah. I don't even have energy or the desire to go work out which I know would probably make me feel better.I have been trying to experiment with recipes from various paleo cook books but I'm just bored with the whole thing and really would love to just unwind with a glass of red wine!

Any kind of pep talk would be great.

I am sure you know this but I will repeat it...it does get better. I'm on day 8 now and the past 2-3 days were so crappy but now I'm kind of in a groove. I don't find it so difficult, just monotonous at times. When that happens I look up some recipes, post them to pinterest, drink some water, and remind myself that I will feel so much better if I can just get through this. 

Are you eating any starchy carbs? I find that I tend to be moodier when I'm not eating enough carbs. 

Have you seen the timeline? Feeling "blah" initially is completely normal, and many people don't have the energy to keep up their normal exercise routine.

http://www.whole9life.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

"Crabby and depressed" sounds like your version of kill all the things....I'd make sure you're eating plenty of fat and adding starchy carbs in to your day :)

Thank you for advice. Come to think of it I have not had starchy carbs in a couple of days. And probably not enough fats besides the fats used in cooking. Kill all things sounds about right. I wouldn't want to be more poor family tonight. I think I better hide out in my room with a good book.

You mentioned that you had a successful Whole 30 in April. Having gone through something once gives you strength and knowledge that you can do it again. Remember how good you felt during your first Whole 30 but also remember that you probably had your blah days too and you got through them.

I have a similar experience to yours. My wife and I completed a Whole 30 in October last year. On the 30th day we were hit by Hurricane Sandy and lost power for eight days. We couldnt cook at home because all of our appliances are electric. There were no supermarkets open so we couldnt buy any fruits or vegetables. I grilled what we had left on our backyard grill but that only lasted a day or two.  We couldnt drive far because gas lines were 3 and 4 hours long so you could drive somewhere and not know if you would be able to get back. We had to stay local. We literally were isolated. And we were fortunate!! Because others had lost homes and lives.

Two local places opened up using generators, a pizzeria and an Italian deli. So for the next 6-7days all we could eat was pizza, sausage and peppers, chicken parm sandwiches and various other non Whole 30 foods because that was all that was available. So needless to say there was no reintroduction, just total immersion in the foods that we were trying to stay away from.

It took us a whole year to get back on track but today we are on Day 27 of our second Whole 30 and this one has been a little easier because we knew what to expect and how to deal with it. Yes there are blah days but TTSP (This too shall pass) and just around the corner is a good day, followed by many more good days and a lot less blah days. Keep your head up and know that the journey is well worth it. For my first Whole 30 I spent the $14.95 to get the daily emails. Best money I ever spent because they tell you what to expect but more importantly how to deal with it. If you feel like you can't get through it yourself, I highly recommend doing that. Its like having a friend sending you an email everyday to support what you're doing. Good luck!

Thank you all so much for your encouragement. I did make it through yesterday....luckily (for my family) they were all gone last night but instead of just heating up leftovers I went to the market and made a delicious dinner for myself...grilled flank steak, cut in to slices wrapped in a lettuce wrap with guacamole and pico de galo, with a great big sweet potato and asparagus. Yummm.

@wakeupman this may not have been your intention but your post once again puts it all in perspective thinking about what people went through last year with the storm makes my whining about not having french fries or a glass of wine seem pretty ridiculous. I did do the daily emails the first time and they were very helpful so this morning I went back through my emails and put them in folder to begin reading daily again. This weekend may be tough but I will plough through.

Archived