Late Night Hunger Leads to Insomnia

Ok so I am ok with the meal planning, eating well, feeling great!  But my issue has ALWAYS been night hunger.  After working out from 5:30-6:30 PM I have to cool down a bit before I have my post workout meal about 7:30.  I just can't scarf down the amount of food my body needs immediately.  However many times if I do not eat RIGHT BEFORE going to bed at about 9:30 I will literally stay awake the entire night until I get food.  And yes it is true hunger after an intense round of Crossfit.  I have tried countless nights to wait it out but until I eat I cannot sleep.  I will eat almonds/raisins and drink a glass of almond milk.  My clothes are loose and I feel great-I just wonder if it is something I should just deal with or true hunger I should give in to.  I eat my 3 meals at 6:00, 10:00 and 4:00 (I'm a teacher so that's just my crazy early schedule).  Then I workout and eat the post-workout meal with protein/carbs.  I'm getting plenty of fats and veggies, I eat protein at every meal.  Like I said I feel great until right before bed.

I would try and eat postWO something immediately after, even if you don't feel like it - you need it!

Having a meal without fat before bed isn't going to help as the fat slows digestion and helps you feel satisfied longer. Having a postWO then a proper meal will help. I'd change your meal 3 to a preWO, then have postWO followed by meal 3

I'd avoid the raisins/almond milk and go for at least protein and fat if you aren't prepared to change your current arrangement.

• Moderators

Don't try to sleep hungry. I am saying that as someone who has to eat in the middle of the night if I awake hungry because I will never sleep again if I don't. 

It sounds like you are genuinely hungry. And if you are doing CrossFit, three meals per day is not enough, at least on workout days. You need to add another meal. A full - protein, fat, veggies - meal. And on days you don't workout, you may still need four meals. Eating as early as 4 PM and then being awake 5.5 more hours just won't work. 

Archived