First whole30... Started Oct 12th.. Fed up of being controlled by sugar

Potamus

So it's my day 2. I feel suprisingly great. I'm not expecting this to last. I'm such a sugar and carb junkie. In the last year my weight has gone up from a respectable 9st 3/4th to just over 11st ...(I'm English by the way). Which for my 5ft 5 and a half that isn't great. What's worse is that nothing I have done has made any difference at all! Though on reflection every attempt to reduce my sugar intake has actually meant I have rebelled more and eaten more. Recently I came to a realisation that this wasn't too good for me - two things helped this. 1) none of my winter clothes fit... Not even my boots. 2) a day of just eating chocolate ( honestly every meal was a chocolate bar) was not setting me up for a healthy life.

So here I am. Day 2 started with a spinach omelette followed by a poached salmon salad. Roast chicken is planned for dinner.

Good Morning. I read your topic line and couldn't help but post a reply. I too had a day of realization yesterday, very similar to yours! The sugar additction in really intense and has been compared with a heroin addiction (not kidding - just read a newspaper article yesterday on this very topic!). It's great that you've come to that place of wanting to make a change. That is such a huge first step! I've actually started a journal outlining what I'm eating and how I'm feeling about everything (very similar to this forum,but the old fashion way!) ;)

My first official day is today, but I will look forward to working through this together! It really helps to have that added accountability.

Good luck! You're not alone!

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I've never been on any type of forum before however I can see how knowing that there are people going through the same thing as you can really help.

I took my "before' pictures today. I know its day 2 but I never had the bottle before - and boy do I not look like I do in my head! Somehow that sleek ballerina 26 year old girl has been replaced with a 39 year old over weight women!

Ah well - good motivation I guess! I hope your day 1 is going well.....

Hi. So its Day 3, and my first one at work, though luckily I can work from home today that will help. 

I still feel ok - apart from aching from an exercise session - but I just could not get to sleep last night. It was if my mind was racing and this is unusual for me. The one thing I normally am good at is getting to sleep!

So today I feel a bit tired and struggling with ideas for breakfasts. Next week I'm at a week long work conference that will be 8am-10pm and involves at least an hour commute. I'm going to need to simple breakfast ideas to eat in the car I think and an emergency snack to replace dinner if the provided dinner isn't Whole30 compliant! I've updated my dietary requirements to no diary and no wheat and no grains but I have a feeling I may need to take some emergency back up food.  I'm looking forward to the challenge but a bit daunted at the same time.

So day 3 and still here...dreamt of coca cola and m&m's last night, when I finally did get some sleep - maybe my brain is in processing mode.

So today i've had 2 boiled eggs with a side portion of spinach (cooked) for breakfast and 2 trout fillets with salad, cucumber and spinach (raw) for lunch followed by a fresh peach.

I'm starving....and feeling highly unmotivated to do some work. sigh. Will try a nice cup of hot water but somehow that doesn't hit the same spot as a mars bar!!

So dinner ( meal 3) tonight was steak with brocholli, great beans, carrots and sweet potato. I got through to dinner without a mars bar and feel chuffed!

Tomorrow is a challenge - making of a chocolate cake for my partner. Mind you if he can do two years sober I can make a cake without licking my fingers!!!

Feeling good.

I'm on Day 4, and since about 4.30 yesterday I've had a nasty headache, fatigue, thirst, and I feel clammy. Withdrawal! I've read articles, too, (including in New Scientist, I think, which I respect) about sugar addiction and how it can be similar to heroin. Not that I am saying my detox is as bad as that of a heroin addict, I'm sure they have it much worse! But still, you go through similar things. It's hard to concentrate or get anything done today. I does make me wonder about what sugar was doing to me - I don't even have a sweet tooth, I'm more a savoury girl. Could be giving up grains and dairy as well, I suppose.

I hope this phase passes soon. I don't actually have cravings for forbidden food, I just want to crawl into a hole and sleep.

So today i've had 2 boiled eggs with a side portion of spinach (cooked) for breakfast and 2 trout fillets with salad, cucumber and spinach (raw) for lunch followed by a fresh peach.

I'm starving....and feeling highly unmotivated to do some work. sigh. Will try a nice cup of hot water but somehow that doesn't hit the same spot as a mars bar!!

Not surprised you're hungry - your meals sound small! A serve of eggs is as many as you can hold, that's likely 3-4. I aim for 2-3 cups of vegies per meal, and don't forget the fat!! Did you add any to either of your meals?

Hi...Day 4. Made it further than I ever thought I would. Still very determined to get to 30 and beyond (now I have images of Buzz Lightyear in my head!)

Re Fat - I thought since the meat had some fat on I would be ok without additional fat, In fact I was actually worried that I was eating too much. I have honestly never had so many vegetables! I even got to the end of the bag of spinach and that never happens, it normally just goes all mushy and horrible.  I'm not great with nuts, but I am cooking with Avocado oil or goose fat for the roasted veg. I like avocado so maybe I should add a spoonful of this to every meal to get my fat intake in? I will try this and see if it helps. Thanks :-)

This morning I had 2 eggs, 2 rashers of compliant bacon and a cup full of red pepper (raw). Was quite delicious. I want to try and make egg muffin thingys tonight if I can get all the ingredients in time. 

Natalie43 - I seem to have the opposite problem of sleep. I just can't get to sleep now. Before I think I must have just had a sugar crash and slept as I could always get to sleep instantly...as soon as my head was anywhere near horizontal I was out. Last two nights I have had surreal dreams, involving sugar and being chased by the mafia and I keep waking up to go the toilet. 630am comes around and I am WIDE awake which is unheard of! Hey ho...things can only get better. Its good to hear other people are also struggling to remain focussed, I wont be so hard on myself. Thanks for your message of support.

I've been at home for the last 4 days so its been easy to avoid temptation, but putting petrol in the car last night was SOOOOO hard. I always just "adopted" a chocolate bar at the till so to keep from doing this I had to mutter to myself constantly, I'm sure the attendant thought I was loopy!

Back at work tomorrow - thats going to be a huge test to try and do breakfast (hence the muffin plan!).

My sleep goes bad day 4 to 14 usually, crazy but has happened consistently. Part of the detoxing process?

If you feel weird you are often hungry. Best thing I got from this forum is that the whole30 is not a punishment program... It is okay to eat when you are hungry, just choose carefully.

Good luck, you have made a great start... I find day 7-14 roll by quickly so another few days and you will be on the roller coaster.

I am on day 4 of 70 of a slightly modified whole30, this is my fifth I think, still learning

wow 70 days ..I take my virtual hat off to you!!

Lunch - tuna (1/2 can), a large bowl of salad with lettuce, tomatoes, carrot, cucumber and some slices of apple and a whole avocado (to help with the fat!)

This evening I need to make a cake, my partner has told me to not make a normal victoria sponge as he wants to try this way of eating to - but he still wants it to be chocolate! Lol. So now I am researching vaguely healthy paleto cake recipies..I'm not eating any of it - just for him to celebrate his 2 years sober.

I am going to try egg and meat muffins too and scotch eggs. I really feel like baking so these will hopefully feed my urges in a healthy way.

I made the cake and didn't lick my fingers, the bowl or anything else once! Phew.

Tonight's tea was two chicken breasts with beans, brocholli, peppers and coconut milk to make Thai red curry. Went down a treat. Thankfully I was so full I didn't crave the chocolate cake!

Interestingly my nose has felt really tingly since. I'm wondering if it's the coconut milk or courgettes (zucchini) as I've eaten everything else recently. Interesting.

I didn't get round to the savory baking I was too tired. So off to work tomorrow and going to try and eat before I set off.

Hi Potamus (and everyone else)

I'm also in the UK, and I have a similar sugar dependency. I find it SO hard to break, and wouldn't be at all surprised to see sugar likened to heroin interms of level of addictiveness! I completed 8 days of a whole30 before, but this time I'm doing the whole30! :)

Good luck, I'll be interested to hear how you;re doing.

Charlotte

I love the heroin analogy. It feels so correct. I went shopping last night for chocolate for my partners cake and I avoided the sweet aisle as I needed cooking chocolate and thought that would be less of a temptation to nibble. Somehow completely with our me realising it I arrived at the checkout with a HUGE bar of galaxy chocolate ( sweet silky smooth milk choc for non uk people). I don't know how my hands found it or how it ended up in my trolley without me realising!!

My partner said that used to happen with him and alcohol - a clear sign I'm a sugar addict!

Anyway I'm pleased I managed to do all the baking and decorating of said cake without any nibbling.

This morning I had a slight treat for breakfast as a reward for actually eating it before my commute - Palma ham, banana and cinnamon omelette ( 3 eggs). Was yummy. I thought the ham fat might count as fat?

For lunch I've had the rest of the ham ( so in total over the 2 meals six slices) and a large handful of lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber along with some berries and a few pieces of apple. My first ever pack lunch at work and had kept me away from the shop with all it's chocolate bars displaying themselves!

Day 5 is going well but feeling rather zzzzzzz!

This morning I had a slight treat for breakfast as a reward for actually eating it before my commute - Palma ham, banana and cinnamon omelette ( 3 eggs). Was yummy. I thought the ham fat might count as fat?

For lunch I've had the rest of the ham ( so in total over the 2 meals six slices) and a large handful of lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber along with some berries and a few pieces of apple. My first ever pack lunch at work and had kept me away from the shop with all it's chocolate bars displaying themselves!

Day 5 is going well but feeling rather zzzzzzz!

Ham would be protein, but the more important thing is to confirm the ham is compliant: no sugar, honey, gluten or other nasties.

Hi Potamus,

Thanks for commenting on my log yesterday. I'm glad that my writing it was an encouragement to you. It does so help to realize that we are not alone in the struggles we face - whatever those may be. Don't you think?

It sounds like you are going well thus far in your Whole 30. 

Good idea to make egg muffins (I call them mini crustless quiches) and meat ones. When I have done that, it helps so much to have something convenient to grab on the way out the door.

Keep up the good work!

~Sara

Hi. So I made it through the day somehow. Working in v close proximity to lots of chocolate in the staff shop was a challenge!

When I finally made it home at 9pm.. I had steak, mashed carrots and sweet potato, handful of cauliflower and brocholli florets and a dollop of guacamole. I'm happily no longer starving and also to the joy of my work colleagues I am sure no longer about to kill anything or anyone! ( not literarily obviously!). I thought the day 4/5 thing was going far too easily. Boy was I grumpy today!!

However I'm going to take my tired body of to bed at least content my stomach now feels full.

Sara - thanks for the comments. It certainly does help connecting with people and being accountable! My savory baking has to wait till tomorrow now. Tonight was a right off thanks to London and M25/4 traffic!

However... Day 5 done!! Hardest day yet.

Day 6 done! Sweet potato, 2 eggs and a banana for breakfast. Salad, guacamole and carrots ( plus two satsumas) for lunch and chilli with veg for dinner. A v busy day but the cravings were less and I managed to avoid the cakes put on my desk at work. Hurrah! Off to try and get to bed early. 6h30 if I'm lucky... Oh for 9h!

A late lunch of prosciutto and salad. Tonight I had a burger, half a home made scotch egg (yum) and a huge salad with home made guacamole. I was really really full at the time but now I'm quite hungry. But I think I'm hungry for something sweet as it's Saturday night and my partner had a lovely bread roll with his burger and an amazing slice of carrot cake.

I had two satsumas with dinner as I remembered I hadn't had any fruit for a couple of days. I've had a lot more energy today than a normal Saturday!!

I can't believe its day 8. I do still fancy my 'treats and rewards!' But my willpower is stronger than I ever imagine. It's quite funny when you manage to suprise yourself!!

I can definitely relate to being "hungry" for something sweet when other people you live with are eating sweet things; that happens often for me, as I live with a lot of other people. Good work staying strong! Sounds like you're eating a good variety and a lot of delicious things.

I also love the feeling of surprising myself with my willpower. Way to go. :)

I had a realisation last night while I lay in bed feeling somewhat chuffed with myself for actually managing a week of no sugar. The realisation was that I've always used food for a purpose rather than as an item of nutritional value. What I mean is... A chocolate bar because I finished writing some boring but essential meeting minutes. A cake because it's Sunday and I need to nibble while watching a film, a healthy meal because I need to look good that weekend at a family gathering... Even on this I'm ashamed to admit that there were times when I would think.. At least I'm going to lose some weight doing this. As if all the 'suffering' would therefore be worth it.

And yet that's when I realised I was missing the point. The point is that food has one essential basic value and that's to provide nourishment and nutrition for my body. Of course if it can taste nice and be enjoyable that a bonus value!

In the last 8 days I can truely say I've enjoyed all my meals but more importantly my body has more energy. Today the house got cleaned, the clothes ironed and a cottage pie with creamy cauliflower topping was made. All in time to watch Homeland on TV. Normally this would merit a reward of chocolate who am I kidding, normally only one of those things would have happened, not all. But I digress, tonight I actually felt that not giving my body the chocolate was THE reward.

Big week coming up with the work conference with all meals being catered by them. I've given them my criteria and I'm listed as a special diet and I phoned the organiser to explain it so I really hope this works!!

Hi! I just commented on another post of yours in a different forum, and then I saw that you'd keep keeping a record of your Whole30. It sounds very much like my experience. I had a really hard day on day 8 with food cravings because people around me were eating such lovely-looking sandwiches and cookies. I kept on track with a big salad but it sure was hard. Good luck with your conference this week!

Archived