White Sweet Potato?

juni

I have been eating and LOVING the slightly dryer, less sweet version of sweet potato I have found. It's labeled as a "White Sweet Potato" in the produce section. They are shaped the same way as the brighter orange ones and have a slightly yellow/white flesh. I like them so much that I almost feel like there has to be something bad about them. Is there???

No, sweet potatoes are all totally delicious and yummy. The white ones lack the pile of beta carotene that is in the orange. That's the main difference. There are probably some minor differences in fiber and sugars content I would guess from flavor and mouth feel.

Just wait until you find some Okinawan sweet potatoes. They have white skin, but are purple, really, really PURPLE on the inside. They cook up into some really interesting looking deep purple mashed SP. Full of anthocyanins, more so even than blueberries.

There are a huge variety of sweet potatoes, although it's hard to find them by name in groceries. My favorite of the orange is Garnet. Dark red exterior, deep orange inside and so good. Put's the standard Jewel to shame.

Archived