Pre workout first thing in the morning

Jameel83

Hi! I'm on day 5 and loving it so far. I workout a lot between strength training and teaching lots of fitness classes and most of my workouts are first thing in the morning, like 5:30. I know you are supposed to eat breakfast right after you wake up, but I can't see my self having a huge breakfast and working out. What are good sources for pre-workout first thing in the morning? Maybe a spoon of nut butter maybe, like cashews? Thanks!!!!

HB eggs are a perfect preWO - protein and fat combine in one! :)

I'd go for a bit of protein over fat, but maybe something fatty like chicken thigh, salmon, fish in oil, or maybe meatballs/patties made with fattier ground meat

I tried leftover meatballs once..... Tasted them all through the workout....so did everyone else :(. I stick with two fried eggs now

• 2 weeks later...

So how did it go?  I'm starting Whole30 tomorrow for the first time.  I typically do a Crossfit workout at 6a.m. and have never eaten before or after.  I was planning on having a couple of eggs with veggies for breakfast around 8a.m., and salad with chicken for lunch.  Eating an egg prior to workout and chicken afterwards seems unappealing.  The meal-planning guide is great, but I'm struggling with 'easily digestible'.  That to me, would be plain greek yogurt.  I looked at larabars and they are unappealing to me.  I'm a bit at a loss...

So how did it go?  I'm starting Whole30 tomorrow for the first time.  I typically do a Crossfit workout at 6a.m. and have never eaten before or after.  I was planning on having a couple of eggs with veggies for breakfast around 8a.m., and salad with chicken for lunch.  Eating an egg prior to workout and chicken afterwards seems unappealing.  The meal-planning guide is great, but I'm struggling with 'easily digestible'.  That to me, would be plain greek yogurt.  I looked at larabars and they are unappealing to me.  I'm a bit at a loss...

Don't knock it til you've tried it - you definitely need something postWO, pre isn't really necessary although giving your body something to signal that it's up and about to get in to doing something physical is a good idea.  

lara bars aren't really something to have for postWO, or pre WO - they're regarded as emergency food only during your whole 30. you just need to get the food in - is plain chicken and sweet potato enjoyable? not really...but it's not that bad! you need the protein for recovery and the starchy vegie carbs will help too. you'll get better results from your training, and feel better in general with the extra nutrition.

i'd suggest having your postWO, then meal 1 a while after. you may need to increase your eggs at breakfast - a serve is as many as you can hold. most people find that that's 3-4! don't forget to add your fat to every meal as well.

I faced this too when I started. I'm only on day 6 so I'm far from an expert but I hard boiled a whole carton of eggs and just grab a few on my way out the door to my workout. They're great for meeting the requirements and don't leave me with a heavy feeling in my tummy during my workout. I've also cooked up patches of diced sweet potatoes and grilled chicken which have been great for my post wo. I just scoop some into a tupperware and eat when I get into my office post wo.  Today I had a bit of sweetpotatoe hash with ground beef and fried egg (left over from meal 1 yesterday) for my post wo.

For me it helps to have everything all ready so I just grab and go in the morning. The last thing I want to do at 0430 is worry about cooking more eggs or balancing my meals for the day.

Archived