Started My First...and I am an alcoholic

bceagle1989

Well,  this is my first Whole 30 and the first time in 25 years I have decided to avoid alcohol 100%.   Not a stumbling drunk by any means, just a guy who used it as a crutch.  A crutch I no longer need.

Probably looking for some encouragement from the forum.  I will stick with the Whole30 and not dwell on the habit I have left behind.

I have one problem with the diet - I do not eat eggs.  I am going to try since it is a taste thing not a medical issue.

MEALS

I have stuck with meat and veggies the first three days.  Today I finally went to my local international market and got some wild caught tuna and salmon.

Breakfast

I made a hash of sweet potatoes, beets, onion and grass fed ground beef.  It satisfied my "breakfast urge" completely.  Topped it with a few slices of roasted plantains.   Used coconut oil to oil the raosting pan.

Lunch

restaurant meal - kobe beef patty, Chicago rub, steamed broccoli no butter.  Again perfect.  I am going to go sans rub since I do not know if there is MSG in the rub.

Dinner

Wild caught tuna rare, with beets and asparagus.

Snack mid-day - I caught myself with a bit of a pang when I got stuck at the market a bit too long.  Found dates rolled in coconut with an almond top.  I know well enough not to eat fruit on it's own, but it was time and I could not cook for another hour.  I feel ok with it. 

Cheers to all who do this for whatever your motivation may be.

Welcome!

I hope you get some benefit out of your whole 30 and discover that your crutch isn't really necessary and may actually holding you back!

Just a couple of things to think about - make sure you're including fat! Fat will make a huge difference to your satiety between meals, as well as your energy levels, and emotional/physical health.

Be wary of eating out - make sure there's no added ingredients, that they use compliant oils to cook (or ask for it to be cooked in a clean pan dry or using compliant oil). Meat can be suspect for wheat/gluten, soy, sugar/sweeteners etc.

A mini meal is preferred if you need to snack, and like you mentioned, fruit wasn't the best choice. I thjnk getting sufficient fat and protein in your meals would help with this though.

You don't need to eat eggs if you don't like them - there are plenty of other protein choices :)

Thank you!

I am trying to get my fats through a few sources:  avocados, coconut oil & ghee, hazelnuts & cashews.  My proteins have been lean outside of the grass-fed ground beef I use for beef patties,  I hope I am headed in the right direction. 

I honestly believe this 30 day run will give me the template to continue clean eating.

You are definitely headed in the right direction - I mentioned the fat as the meals you mentioned didn't seem to have any. Cooking oil won't account for a lot, so I'd suggest adding something post cooking. Avo or mayo would be perfect, or a handful of nuts. Sauces with coconut milk/cream are delicious too :)

You are definitely headed in the right direction - I mentioned the fat as the meals you mentioned didn't seem to have any. Cooking oil won't account for a lot, so I'd suggest adding something post cooking. Avo or mayo would be perfect, or a handful of nuts. Sauces with coconut milk/cream are delicious too :)

Again, thank you.

Late breakfast this a.m. which I know should and will be earlier...however, I was able to eat positively:

Sweet potato hash w/ broccoli, grass fed ground beef, onions, and a few slices of oven roasted plantains in coconut oil.  Sides were 5 berries and 1/2 avocado.

Lunch will be a coconut milk curried chicken breast,  veggies cooked in the curry:  tomatoes, broccoli, sweet potatoes.  I will have the same sides - 1/2 avocado & a couple berries.  It is my first curry ever, while room for flavor improvement, it is darn good!

Any opinion on dates rolled in coconut w/ an almond slice as a sweet snack ... I do not overdo sweet things.  There are no added ingredients.  As a rule, I am trying not to snack at all and I am "listening" to my body.   I review my food timing and choices should I feel off or overly snacky. 

Update:  Alcohol elimination has been NO PROBLEM!  Cheers to club sodas, limes & pure iced teas ;)

So the surprise meal of the day was sushi...had to go meet a friend to talk about work and the fish sounded good.  Bought some liquid aminos and THEN read they were not Whole30.  Never opened the bottle.

Sashimi of salmon, tuna & yellowtail

Steamed veggie plate of broccoli, bok choy, carrots and a few green beans.

Juice of one lemon to replace the soy.  I avoided the wasabi only b/c I did not know if the paste was Whole30 compliant.

Side of one whole avocado.

I did taste one slice of pickled ginger after reading it may be ok if sugar was not added after the pickling.

Working backwards:  lunch was my leftover chicken curry I made & breakfast was sweet potato, beef, hash with a side of avocado.

No snacks today whatsoever.  I believe my calorie intake is sufficient, but I start the gym in the next 48 hours, so I am going to need to ramp it up a bit.  Lots of cooking the next 2 days for sure.

Overall a good day...and most importantly - no booze.  No booze gets easier every day.

I am going to sear some tuna in the a.m. to take with me for lunch tomorrow.  Breakfast will be steak, veggies & avocado.

In regards to your date rolls - why do you need a sweet snack? (You don't!) eating sweets is more of a habit and a want than a need. I'd avoid them - if you need a snack because you're starving, you should have a mini meal of protein, fats and vegies.

When you exercise, you get extra nutrients and calories in your pre/postWO. PreWO is protein and fat, post is lean protein (meal sized portion) and starchy vegie carbs with little to no fat. These meals are on top of your normal meals

Good question on the date rolls...I think I caught myself at the farmer's market hungry...and thank you so much for the PreWO & PostWO plans.  I start the gym again tomorrow morning.  Did not know about the extra nutrients beyond my normal meals.   Will attend to that.

I am really not a sweets person and am focusing on occasional fruit with my meal.  The past two days I have not snacked at all, nor do I crave overly sweet foods.  My fruits on hand are plantains, strawberries, blackberries.  Honestly, I have been focusing so much on what NOT to eat, I have probably let what TO eat and when take second place.

BREAKFAST

Seared Ahi Tuna (i did not cook last night, but my on-site caterer was kind enough to dry sear the tuna for me this a.m.)..strange indeed, but I was caught unprepared this a.m. and this worked.  Kind of a rich experience for breakfast.

Asparagus & a few roasted plantain slices

LUNCH

Curry Chicken leftovers w/ broccoli, asparagus, sweet potaoes & tomatoes in coconut curry broth

Add'l steamed broccoli & sweet potato

1/2 Avocado

Dinner

Rubbed roasted Tri-tip roast slices (going to try a coffee/spice rub approved recipe)

Broccoli, Eggplant, sweet potatoes

Avocado

Saw a recipe for an approved wasabi/avocado dip or spread that I may try soon, as well as a chicken "salad" of avocado/onions/garlic/pulled chicken.

OVERALL?  5 days no booze..each day is easier and more clear.  Lesson learned?  PLAN PLAN PLAN...I got lucky this a.m. that I had a backup cooking space to provide what I needed.

Meal Timing

While I feel my food choices have been excellent, does anyone have advice on meal timing?

Found myself yesterday having too large of gaps between meals & with that a dinner that was far too late @ 930pm.

Awake @ 7:30

Breakfast @ 11:00

Lunch @ 3:30

Dinner @ 9:30

Bed @ 11:30

It is obvious to me that I have to eat earlier in a.m. which I did today.  But what about the gap between the normal lunch time of 1pm & dinner @ 7pm.  Seems like a long time.

Did I mention I am an alcoholic?

Night sweats from quitting cold turkey have finally started to go away. 

Funny, I had no idea I was that deep into beer.  Oh alcohol, you little creeper of a "friend".

Day 6 of this , not feeling huge changes other than the day is less of a rollercoaster & I have more energy and clarity.  The feelings are subtle for now...I believe it is a combo of the food & sobriety, duh ;)

• Moderators

Meal Timing

While I feel my food choices have been excellent, does anyone have advice on meal timing?

Found myself yesterday having too large of gaps between meals & with that a dinner that was far too late @ 930pm.

Awake @ 7:30

Breakfast @ 11:00

Lunch @ 3:30

Dinner @ 9:30

Bed @ 11:30

It is obvious to me that I have to eat earlier in a.m. which I did today.  But what about the gap between the normal lunch time of 1pm & donner @ 7pm.  Seems like a long time.

Yeah, eating breakfast by 8:30 is important. Eating breakfast soon after waking helps reset your hormones so that it gets easier to wake in the morning, sleep at night, be hungry in the morning, and not hungry at night.

I go 6 hours between lunch and supper all the time, but it took me more than a year to become comfortable doing that. You might need to eat 4 meals so that you only go 4-5 hours between one meal and the next. After practice, I got to where I ate enough at lunch to last until 7-7:30 PM. And then I try to get to sleep by 10 PM or so.

So the surprise meal of the day was sushi...had to go meet a friend to talk about work and the fish sounded good.  Bought some liquid aminos and THEN read they were not Whole30.  Never opened the bottle.

If you are referring to coconut aminos, they are Whole30 compliant.

Hang in there on the alcohol. I was downing about 3-4 six packs a week, and sometimes even bought an extra can on the side when I did not think six would get me relaxed.

Now, I have not had a beer in about 40-45 days. My stomach is still big, but it is no longer rock hard. I have also saved a lot of money, which I have redirected to new hobbies.

Alcohol can be every bit the demon as food or narcotics, especially since it is socially acceptable and in your face as much as fast food on our landscape.

Bragg's Liquid Aminos are made from soy and are not okay during a Whole30. Coconut aminos are a whole 'nother (acceptable) product.

Thank you, Tom!

I returned the bottle to my local market without making that mistake.  I have found that a simple lemon squeeze over my sashimi suffices.

Coconunt aminos are on my list to try. 

Well....Day 11 and another weekend has come and gone.  Let's go alcohol first & food second.

Alcohol...no wagons to fall of here...successfully went to a saloon for a rock show & a going away party for a good man in town without temptation this weekend.  I firmly believe that you can eliminate the bad without sacrificing your social life.  But then again, this choice was for ME and I am not letting ME down.

So two of my four weekends are behind me and has been good and all challenges met.  Funny thing...as the shots were flying at the going away party, the overwhelming sweet smell of stale booze left me in no mood to consume.  Never smelled that before when I was with 'em toasting away ;)

I am finding that my time tolerance for being in pubs is about 2 hours & then I become completely bored.  Not to mention tired and ready for bed.

FOOD

So far, so good - no known slip ups that I can think of.  Not even close.

I successfully ate out on Saturday, prawns, charred broccoli, hangar steak & a grape roasted almond combo.  All prepared w/ cold pressed EVOO on a grill that drains the oil away.  Luckily, the wait staff, was accommodating.  I sat with two friends at a tapas bar while they drank & ate cheese plates and other gooey items, I conferred with the bartender about the cleanest prep they had for several plates.  It was AWESOME!  Also, best damn club soda in town! ;)  Very tasty and satisfying...anyone in Atlanta need a clean meal?  Head to Barcelona Wine Bar, order a club soda and talk to your bartender! I had a spoonful of the EVOO mint leaf drizzle for some fat as I forgot to order a sliced avocado.

As I say...again I drank for free ;)

I am finding myself having to push me into meal time, as work can get in the way of proper food prep and meal timing.  I found a quick solution in that my local farmer's market has additive free deli meats that are amazing for quick lunches with veggie sides and my usual healthy fat of avocado.  They roast all of their meats in house & list the ingredients on the deli case so you can make sound choices.  This really helps cut my prep & cooking time during the busy week.  I have them sliced super thick to satiate my need for chewing...silly but it works.  Also, it slows my roll in the eating process.

My breakfast has become a staple...any feedback here is apprciated (again, reminder, I do not eat eggs, it's a taste consistency thing...still trying).  I have tried both chunky and finely diced versions of this...I go with chunky now, it more mirrors the feel and flavor of those white potatoes I used to live on every weekend for brunch.

6-8 oz lean protein (usually sliced & warmed roast beef, grass fed pastured ground beef, chicken breast)

1/2 avocado

vegetables diced and browned in ghee

- sweet potatoes

- red & green peppers

- tomatoes

- onion

- Italian squash

- occasionally diced beets - but they turn everything red! ;)

- sage, thyme, salt & pepper

LUNCH

- roasted chicken breast w/ Italian seasoning

- broccoli...tons of broccoli & oven roasted beets (diced)

- sweet potato - baked & sliced

- 1/2 to 1 avocado

- handful fresh fruit

DINNER

- 6-8 oz wild caught salmon filet, baked w/ a clean lemon pepper or thyme

- broccoli & squash sautéed in coconut oil

- blanched hazelnuts & browned plantains

SNACKS

none

FINAL NOTE - I feel ********* fantastic to keep this SFW.   Whatever this is..it works. 

Hang in there on the alcohol. I was downing about 3-4 six packs a week, and sometimes even bought an extra can on the side when I did not think six would get me relaxed.

Now, I have not had a beer in about 40-45 days. My stomach is still big, but it is no longer rock hard. I have also saved a lot of money, which I have redirected to new hobbies.

Alcohol can be every bit the demon as food or narcotics, especially since it is socially acceptable and in your face as much as fast food on our landscape.

Thank you so much for your reply...I think you and I were in the same boat!  Cheers to your continued success!

I agree with 100% of your post...it is a little demon isn't it?  I had no idea quitting cold turkey would put me through 5-7 days of night sweats, but that "little demon" was more ingrained into physical makeup than I knew.

Again, cheers and thank you.

John

Kudos to you!  I'm in the boat with you and have been looking for a thread like this in the forum for the past 20 days of my first Whole 30.  In addition I've gone 30 days without an adult beverage.

I must say, it's very freeing, not wondering when, what and how much I'm going to drink after work and on weekends.  That said, who's got time to drink with all this food prep.

Well, I am back...day whatever it is update.  I bit of rambling and self-promotion, but I am in that kind of mood.  CHeers to all who take this on.

I believe it is day 16 of 30.  I end November 9th I know that much ;)

No alcohol what-so-ever now.  Life is good.  Boring on a Friday or Saturday while I watch my friends swirl down the booze loop, but hey, they are my friends & I am sticking with them.  I have about a two hour window before I need to get up and do something else.

Life without the ex is good as well.  Finally living without that dark cloud over my head or in my heart.  It wasn't easy and involved another round of push pull between the two of us...Sorry to digress.

Whole 30 has been absolutely fantastic...it is work.  Tons of planning, tons of tupperware and reheating meals I have cooked in advance.  Is it worth it? 

Absolutely.  I went to an expensive jean store this weekend and actually fit into a pair of 32's.  For your knowledge...I wore 36-38 sized jeans 12-18 months ago.   It was heaven.   Whole 30 doesn't take the prize for me dropping 5 inches around my waist...it takes the crown for pushing me past a plateau...getting me closer to where I want to be and allowing me to realize a healthier way of eating.  FYI, I bought 33's they looked better than the 32's ...ha!

Whole 30 has kicked me over an edge...a good edge.  What was promised in the book I have found to come true.  Mainly,  daily energy swings (more like hourly) are gone.  It really does smooth out the rollercoaster.

Food takes commitment and forever planning...that is the only drag.  But I like to cook & have kept my variations varied to keep me interested.  But I am tired of cooking to be honest...and sourcing quality approved food on the go is very very hard.   Found my self putting off eating Saturday b/c I was in a mall atmosphere & could not find ANYTHING that would come even close to being Whole 30 compliant :(  Did I mention the jeans?????   ;)

Survived & picked right back up.  I do not recommend allowing yourself to "get caught" without a plan however.  Rather than beat myself over a less than stellar (although Whole 30 compliant) Saturday.  I woke up Sunday and ate consistent meals on time.

Next two weeks should be a breeze, although I am eating more these days after starting an intense workout plan.   Biggest surprise?  TIE: That I actually quit drinking completely cold turkey and that I have never even thought of cheating on my food.  What would be the point?  And this is for me...my life is finally for me.

Christmas is going to be amazing.  My best to all of you. 

More to come...no more ex-talk thank you for indulging me.  Here we go on the second half!

Kudos to you!  I'm in the boat with you and have been looking for a thread like this in the forum for the past 20 days of my first Whole 30.  In addition I've gone 30 days without an adult beverage.

I must say, it's very freeing, not wondering when, what and how much I'm going to drink after work and on weekends.  That said, who's got time to drink with all this food prep.

Outstanding Kabob!  Yes, I was reluctant, but decided to open up, hope for support and tackle this head on.  This forum has been wonderful &thank you for the positive note.  Keep up the great work!

Too true about having time to drink.  I actually have my bourbon on the counter next to my prep area...never occurred to me to have some.  Although, I will admit...I am not sure going forward if I will begin again...taking life as it comes to me, rather than fighting it every day.

All my best.

I've just come across your thread John. I gave up booze on January 1st 2002 and have never regretted it. My cold turkey was during a very nasty bout of food poisoning that lasted for well over a week. When I came through that I thought - well you've done the cold turkey bit without having to trying, now for breaking the habit! Not so easy! But certainly doable. 

Good luck - and I agree with the others, your meals sound great. 

Archived