How to help my obese Mom

citymom

I fall into your moms category but i am 5'7' She is so blessed to have you. I suggest you prepare a weeks worth of meals and take them to her in tupperware containers. Let her see how it is to eat like this. She will love it. an maybe a few days you can take her on a short walk. baby steps baby steps. With your love for her you will move mountains to help her. I don't have a mom and i miss her dearly. enjoy this time helping your mom get healthy!

Thanks all. I heard from my Mom last night and it was GREAT NEWS. It's just a cyst in her breast. No cancer! They just want to re-check her in 6 months. I was so nervous to hear the report. I had a close friend die from breast cancer earlier this year. And another friend from Church passed away last year. He had no idea he had cancer until it was too late.

Anyway, I'm relieved to hear the good news. My mom is tired from all the anxiety leading up to the tests but at least she can relax now.

In other news, since August 1st, although not officially doing the Whole30, she has been trying to stay mostly compliant with the rules of Whole30. She reported to me last week that she was down to 285. She weighed 300 earlier this year. And she said she's not been able to get below 290 for years. That was her sticking mark.

She's doing what she can to eat well. Money is a hinderance. I'm heading to her house today to go buy her some groceries. She usually runs out of money the last week of the month.

Again, I really appreciate being able to post about this on here and have even a couple people say encouraging words. Keep it up please.

It matters to me!! :)

Citymom (and others),

Watch this documentary. I am not easily inspired, but this is what inspired me to do a Whole30. (I'm definitely not cut out for a juice fast.) If you think it would help inspire your mom, give it a shot.

http://www.jointhereboot.com/

If that doesn't work, go to chrisbeatcancer.com and look for the link to the documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. I'm telling you, it's a game changer. It's free on Chris' site, and worth every minute of the (nearly) 2 hours. Get some tea and tissues!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the prayers everyone! I for one believe they make a difference.

I think I mentioned on here earlier that my Stepmom had come to me and asked if I would make some goals with her and help her stay accountable. Well check this out.

Our family went to go visit Papa and Nana for Labor Day weekend. While we were there, we set aside some time to talk and work out our goals.

I brought her the ISWF book and gave it to her. She started reading it while we were there. Her first goal was to finish it by this Friday and then said we'd check in again to talk.

She texted me on Wednesday and said SHE'D STARTED!!!! Said the book said why wait? So she was going for it. I'm so happy for her and plan on being there when she needs support or to talk or for a resource. I told her about the website and forums. Wish I'd remembered about the email support. Forgot about that.

I had just finished my Whole30 that weekend and it was great to tell her my results. She was inspired and honestly, the best way to help someone I really believe is to be an example.

Please be encouraged if you are trying to help friends or family members. Be the best example you can be and that will speak for itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Checked in with my Step-mom today. She's on day 13. Officially past the zombie phase and she's happy to be having more energy.

The hardest thing for her so far is chewing gum. She used to go through about 8 pieces a day. Whew. That and Diet Coke. But she's holding strong and said she is feeling awesome.

She thanked me emphatically for bringing her the book. She said she knew about a year ago that this is what she should eat, she just didn't know how to "do it".

Just wanted to share.

...and I'm still working on my Mom!!!

• 1 month later...

You're an inspiration to me. My mother, like yours, has all the nutritional information in her head, but then she stubbornly refuses to apply most of it. I don't know what she feels Ike she will lose by getting the junk out of her life. What are these people clinging to? I don't really know how to break through that barrier except to be the living example. In the meantime, she can barely get up the stairs in her own house.

ETA: OMG, she just said today she wants to do this! I gave her a tub of coconut oil and we're going shopping tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

You're an inspiration to me. My mother, like yours, has all the nutritional information in her head, but then she stubbornly refuses to apply most of it. I don't know what she feels Ike she will lose by getting the junk out of her life. What are these people clinging to? I don't really know how to break through that barrier except to be the living example. In the meantime, she can barely get up the stairs in her own house.

ETA: OMG, she just said today she wants to do this! I gave her a tub of coconut oil and we're going shopping tomorrow.

Xandra,

That's AWESOME! I'm so happy for you. I love that you gave her a tub of coconut oil. That's important. :) Keep me posted on how she's doing. And let me know if there's anything I can do to support you!! xo

• 2 weeks later...

So proud of my Mom! She's doing it! She started Nov 7. Well, she did give herself Thanksgiving "off", and a few days before that she said that while she didn't weigh, she didn't feel like she was losing much either and I could tell she was getting discouraged. We did a mostly W30 Thanksgiving, but with wine and bit of maple syrup on some unsweetened pumpkin custard. I realize she should reset her W30 count for that, but today she said she woke up with no pain in her joints. That is a huge stride for her, and she looks so much clearer without the painkillers. I think this is her motivation to continue, even if she doesn't lose much weight yet. I think the anti-inflammatory part of this is really working for her. Yay!

Archived