Gogogio

Would anyone be willing to critique my daily menu?

Activity level: Currently, I crossfit 3 days on, 1 day off.. and not much else. I've even taken two days off twice this month as I was feeling tired/cranky/unmotivated (detox?)

140-45 lbs 5'9 female

Typical Day on whole 30

BREAKFAST: 2 whole eggs, some salmon, half a sweet potato, some avocado (or pesto or hollandaise), broccoli or greens

SNACK: (snacking is a habit I'm trying to break): 1 apple or grapefruit or some carrots

LUNCH: home canned salmon (big half pint mason), avocado, greens, sauerkraut maybe, other random veg

After work; this is where I usually come home and binge on raw 'treats' paleo treats or nut butter or dates!

BUT, for whole 30: my after work snack has varied from 2 fried eggs, a fried apple, some walnuts, dried figs. I just read last night that even reaching for these 'healthy' sugars is giving in to my brain's "sugar tantrum" so today I did the fried eggs. I'm seriously a DRAGON after work and it's disgusting.

OK, dinner; on whole 30 I'm RARELY HUNGRY for dinner!!! At first I thought it was working out (I am not hungry after destroying myself- it takes 20 minutes). If I do have dinner, I kind of choke it down because I want the protein;

DINNER: Salmon or halibut, plug or minus eggs, avocado or pesto, winter squash or sweet potato, random veggies or greens. We eat pretty seasonally here because are options are limited.

POST WORKOUT: another can of salmon plain or egg

I feel stuffed, satisfied, I am still struggling with the emotional cravings, ie. I get off the phone with my mother and I want SUGAR!!

Am I eating too much fat? Avocado, ghee, coconut oil, coconut milk, full eggs, salmon!!? I love fat, it's never been a problem, nut bingeing has and sugar.

I seriously eat about a sweet potato a day, is that okay?

I would love feedback!! Thank you in advance!!!

I would cut the snacks completely, especially as you aren't hungry for dinner - don't even plan them in to your day! Include the fruit with a meal.

Are you including proper pre/postWO meals? Pre should be fat and protein, post should be lean protein and starchy vegies and little to no fat. Salmon probably isn't your best postWO option!

You do eat a lot of salmon, so you may not need so much added fat in those meals. A sweet potato a day isn't bad, you need the carbs for energy :) using it around workouts on workout days would be beneficial for recovery refuel

Thanks for your reply! I do need to quit freakin snacking. It's totally mental. I don't know about proper.. I'm about halfway through the book, is there a page on whole 30 for that? I guess I can google it actually.

Wow! I've been slamming protein postWO for years! This changes everything. I don't eat before I workout (I mean not immediately, just whatever my previous meal is). I've always thought carbs preWO and protein after. WHAT!? crazy!

Yes, all that fat could be why I'm just not hungry at night (and the snacks).

Thank you! This really helped me!

Thanks for your reply! I do need to quit freakin snacking. It's totally mental. I don't know about proper.. I'm about halfway through the book, is there a page on whole 30 for that? I guess I can google it actually.

Wow! I've been slamming protein postWO for years! This changes everything. I don't eat before I workout (I mean not immediately, just whatever my previous meal is). I've always thought carbs preWO and protein after. WHAT!? crazy!

Yes, all that fat could be why I'm just not hungry at night (and the snacks).

Thank you! This really helped me!

You do need protein postWO, as well as the carbs - both will help with recovery/refueling. Keeping fat low or non existent helps get the nutrients in quicker.

The recommendations are on the template:

http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Many people outside of a whole 30 still suggest carbs preWO - if you're trying to get massive, I'd suggest them, but I don't think they're necessary. I started the fat/protein recommended by the whole 30 and have noticed better energy during workouts. My current coach actually says to have X % of my daily carbs preWO, but I don't like how I feel when I do that....so I don't! :)

Archived