Liking Whole30 but missing wine, cheese, and rice - Advice needed

wolfemom

Hello!  I finished my Whole30 eight days ago and have just kept going.  I'll turn 40 in January and have noticed my metabolism slowing down over the last five years and I'm trying to reverse that trend.  I definitely feel more peppy with this new way of eating which is great since I have four kids that I'm trying to keep up with.  I'm also hoping to avoid a second knee surgery and right now I am feeling okay and pretty functional.  It might be all of the advil, PT, and ice but it also might be the Whole30. So all of this is a long way to say that I am pretty happy with this way of eating and plan to continue. I don't want to follow the normal reintroduction protocal because there are so many items that I just don't want to reintroduce.  It seems to me that living without certain foods works pretty well.  And I HATE having an upset stomach.  Why put myself through that when I can just keep eating like this.

Even thought I'm a pretty huge "foodie" the only things I REALLY miss are cheese and wine.  I did try a 3 oz pour of Pinot Grigio a few days ago and that did not feel so good after an hour or so.  :(  Is it pretty typical for wine to cause some stomach pain when reintroduced?  Do certain wines tend to be more gentle on the stomach?  Or is this nature's way of telling me that wine isn't very good for my body and I need to really cut it out altogether (*gasp*)?

I do want to try reintroducing cheese.  From what I have read different types of cheeses an be grouped together (pulled cheeses like mozzarella, soft spreadable cheeses like Brie, moldy cheeses like Gorgonzola, hard cheeses like Parmesan).  Does anyone have some sort of a grouping list so that I can try one type of cheese "family" together rather than trying individual cheeses and then waiting the 3 days in between each trial?  And are there any types of cheese that are just notorious for not sitting well that I should avoid altogether?  I'm okay avoiding certain cheeses as long as I can have SOME cheese sometime. 

I don't really care about rice by itself...but I do adore sushi (and I already don't love soy sauce.)  It sounds like rice by itself is pretty benign and doesn't cause a lot of problems.  Do I really need to bother with the reintroducing protocal if I'm just going to indulge in some occasional sushi?  I mostly ask because we are leaving for a six day road trip in two weeks and I won't have enough time to reintroduce wine and cheese and rice.

Thanks for the help!!!!

Hi wolfemom!

Congratulations on finishing strong!  

There's a good chance that your body just did not like the wine. If it's something that's really important to you, you can experiment a bit and see what sits well with you.

Hard cheeses tend to be easier on the stomach than softer cheeses because they contain less lactose. I'd start there and work toward the softer cheeses.

White rice is fairly benign but the amount of starch can cause bloating for some folks. Be aware of that and enjoy your sushi :)

Hi - I guess it depends on how bad you think your reactions might be.  If you don't think they'd be bad enough to ruin a vacation, I'd just reintroduce the things you plan to eat as the occasion arises and take not of how you feel. 

Try different types of wine and see how they make you feel and then decide if it's worth it.  Try white, red, maybe sulfite free.  I know that if I drink wine, even 1/2 a glass, I won't sleep well at all.  Most of the time, I have to decide that it is not worth it.  Occasionally, I decide it is worth it.  As long as I am consciously deciding, I am ok with the consequence. 

Cheeses are different for everyone.  I personally can eat the occasional goat cheese, but other cheeses give me a tummy ache.  Again, I'd just try one at a time and see how you feel. 

Same with sushi.  Just try it next time you go out and see how you feel.  If you aren't going to make rice a staple in your diet, I don't think it's worth a reintro.  Your next sushi dinner out would be the reintro.  Note, though, that most likely that will involve soy, too, so you may not know if you react to the rice or soy.  Maybe bring coconut aminos the first time to isolate the rice and if that is ok, try it with soy sauce the next time. 

If you think you might have bad reactions, I'd personally just try to stay compliant on your road trip in order to not be sick the whole time and do the reintros when you get back.

Good luck!

Tip on sushi...if you are stuck without a soy substitute, try a lemon squeezed over the top.  Did it lasy night with my sashimi and it helped "jazz up" my fresh yet boring salmon & tuna.  Coupled with a mound of steamed veggies and an avocado, it wasn't a bad night out.

I've heard coconut aminos work well? 

You can get wine made with "organically grown grapes" or you can get "organic wine."  If I understand it correctly, it can't be called organic wine unless it's also sulfite free and many wine makers say you can't make a good wine without sulfites.  Personally, I've only tried a couple of true organic wines and they were bad, but if someone were sensitive to sulfites and wanted pestiside free grapes and is willing to search out and try a bunch, they might find a good one.  I admit I haven't looked very hard.  Just hard enough to find one (never mind if it's any good) for my organic only (to the point that organic cheetos are considered better than a conventional apple) family member.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the question.  I'm on Day 30 and looking forward to reintroducing wine.  I threw a party last night, and the hardest thing was...not buying wine for my guests, but standing in a gourmet cheese shop and not being able to sample!!  I will nibble on the leftovers tomorrow to see how i feel with dairy, and reintroduce wine when the occasion calls for it rather than sip my nightly glass pre-whole 30.  Suggestion for sushi...rice vinegar with wasabi is a delicious substiture for soy.

Archived