Day 16 - HAD great initial results, NOW none to speak of

phace145

i forgot to ask the doctor to NOT tell me my weight yesterday ... let's just say i am less than thrilled.  day 16, and i feel tired, the same size i was when i started and really, really motivationally lost.  initally i started feeling that super energy and super weight loss right off the bat, in the first week.  my biggest problem was the sweet cravings, which i still have, and have just learned to live with (i have always been a sweets person, as opposed to savory).

most of our meals are roasted veggies in EVOO.  is it possible that i am eating too much???  every time that i have a meal, everyone around me looks at my plate and comments that it's alot of food.  i am using the Whole9 Meal Template as a guide, but just feel like with my weight gain over the last few days that i MUST be eating too much.  we did go to a wedding this weekend, and the bride, aka my cousin, aka bridezilla almost had a meltdown when my husband and i said we could not eat the food and cake ... needless to say we ate some of the cold cut platter, raw veggies and each had ONE SMALL bite of cake, just to satiate her whines and crying. ... we also stopped at a farmer's market and grabbed dried fruit to get us through the long periods of time between rehearsal, ceremony and reception with no easy access to food or ways to cook anything.  i found out later that there was sulphur dioxide in the dried fruit -- could this be why i regained the 10 lbs i initially lost and why i feel like CRAP?

ugh, should i start over?  just throw in the towel?  i'm really really frustrated at this point, especially since i initially saw such great results and now i feel worse than ever.

Hi phace145 - 

I'm sorry you're feeling frustrated right now.  There are many things that could be contributing to what you're feeling now - how is your sleep, your stress, your exercise.  Where are you in your cycle? What do your meals look like? 

One of the reasons we ask you not to weigh (which has to be more than just at the doctor's office) is because people's scale weight can fluctuate wildly during a Whole30. Everything's changing in your gut and your weight can changed based on how much salt you've had or when you last went to the bathroom.  

Let's take a closer look at what you're eating and when, and those other lifestyle factors I mentioned first.

Hi Robin,

I go to sleep between 9-10 pm every night and wake at 5am.  I have cut back on the exercise the past two weeks, due to the fact that i've been so tired.  I was running three days a week and doing crossfit the other two days.  Weekends the husband and I usually hike, play with the dogs, bike or something else moderately active.  The past two weeks it's been more like running one day and crossfit another, with the same exercise level on the weekends.  Stresswise, i can't remember another point in life where i felt like i have so little time to do EVERYTHING.  i was recently promoted to management, our entire department is new and developing and i'm training the new staff.  this all happened about a month ago.  i am in mid-cycle.

dinner last night -

6oz piece of wild caught cod

sweet potato fries (roasted in EVOO, salt and pepper)

asparagus (roasted in EVOO, salt and pepper)

one deviled egg (made per Whole30 compliant mayo and other ingredients)

breakfast - 

two eggs over medium

raw spinach, tomato slices, cucumber slices

one half avocado

16 oz coffee with coconut milk

lunch -

no fuss salmon cake

hard-boiled egg

raw spinach, tomato slices, cucumber slices

one half avocado

Hi,

I am only on day 5 of my first  Whole30...I can only offer encouragement and a "hang in there!" as my expertise is zippo.

BTW, I have a friend who has been doing Xfit for about 6 months at a great place in Atlanta.  She burned out and finally realized "I need to take a break every few days".  Even the trainers/coaches at Crossfit recommended she give her body time to adjust.  So she takes every 4th day off to rest and recover.  It sounds like you are on the go constantly, maybe skip the running?  Crossfit is a bear on top of everything else you do.

From one newbie to another, give your self some me time and relax the best you can.  My best to you and stick with it.

p.s. I cannot recommend coconut oil highly enough.

i love finding a blog that i can relate to and then a follow up later by the initial contributor.  in that spirit, i'm checking back in to say that i feel AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  i truly believe that (even with as much as i tried to avoid bad things) last weekend's wedding trip really had me ingesting some yucky stuff.  so, Saturday and part of Sunday we ate the best we could, but there had to have been added preservatives or gluten or sugar or all of the above in the food we ate.  i didn't feel amazing on Sunday, worse on Monday, and then just awful on Tuesday (when i first posted this to the forums).  Wednesday i felt a little better, Thursday i felt great, and TODAY I FEEL AMAZING!!!!  seriously.  i was so crabby Monday and Tuesday that i wouldn't have blamed my dogs if they didn't want to snuggle.  

but today i feel like i conquer the world.  today i feel like nothing in the world could shake my smile and the hop in my step.

i hope this encourages others.  i now understand better how the smallest pollutant in my food can send me spiraling into yuck-dom.  fingers crossed that this AWESOME feeling continues!

Archived