bingeing on junk food after Whole30 - feeling helpless

You didn't thwart your experience. Changing habits for 30 days is relatively easy compared to changing them for a lifetime. You still have the memories of how that junk tastes and makes you feel. You haven't yet had enough experiences to replace those memories with the same life experiences associated with healthier food. Those brain receptors for flavor and texture and sugar highs are powerful things and there is no concept of brakes associated with them.

So just brake them. If sugar is your trigger, then eliminate it. If you can't eat fresh fruit because that's a trigger, then eliminate that. Eat the foods that are not triggers for your binges. Use your Whole30 to remember how good you feel eating good food. And get back on that track.

I've seen a lot if recommendations on here to go with a Whole7 or something like that to get a grip on things. I absolutely understand how you feel too! I am attempting another day 1 today in hopes of halting this exact behavior that has plagued me the last two weeks. Why don't you start with me and I will postpone day 1until tmw. We can commit to 7days, can't we?

I've been there and done that.

The best thing to do is just get right back on it: a few days of clean eating and you'll get right back into your groove.

If nothing else it proves your normal, don't beat up on yourself.

I am so here with you right now. I had a planned off road meal and it was wonderful and I was ready to get back to the groove. Then I feel like since all my food-pleasure censors went off I just fell into eating everything (to give me that pleasure again?). Of course it took me a few days to realize the sugar dragon was awakened in that planned meal and then I unleashed it. I worry that I'll get in the restrict/binge cycle if I start a wholesomething, so I'm just taking it one meal/urge/decision at a time for a few days until I get it back under control. Then maybe a wholesomething.

I am having similar issues.  I completed a whole 30 over the summer and then in September fell off the wagon.  I started up again and am on day 11 now but it seems to be taking longer to get my body into the groove of eating this way.  Last time it didn't take as long to get my system working. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Oh man.  I can totally relate.  My whole30 was great, and I stayed pretty good for another 30 days.  But then a little chocolate here, a little paleo banana bread there....and bam.  Hello sugar dragon and cravings for all things bad.  It is a bit of a helpless feeling, which is why I'm gearing up for another whole30.  But a whole7 or whole14 may be just what you need.  Try not to let guilt or regret take over and just focus on today being a new day, with potential for new decisions and choices.  

Archived