An Atkin's Diet Vet. Joins Whole30 w/?

Fit@40

• Fit@40

Whole30-vs-Low Carbing?

•  

I have lost and kept weight off through the years on the Atkins diet. I already broke my addiction issues with sweets, grains, starchy veggies, etc. So, my question here is...should I continue to avoid the higher carb veggies that are allowed on Whole30? I am changing over to this diet hoping that eliminating dairy and artificial sweeteners (I only used 2-3 stevia/xylitol packets a day) will get me back to losing. I just turned 40 and found that my usual diet routine wasn't working anymore. I came to an absolute standstill. But, I do not want to come to the end of these 30 days eating sweet potatoes & such and find out I should have continued to avoid them, given my starting point. Any help here is GREATLY appreciated!

You could also not add in sweet potatoes and starchy carbs and not see any changes ...then where would you be?

If you don't make a change, nothing will change. 30 days is unlikely to be massively detrimental in the grand scheme of life for your fat loss goals, but it could be highly beneficial...what have you got to lose? You also need to remember that this isn't a weight loss plan. Many people do drop weight, but that's not the point. Gaining health is the main aim of the program :)

I'd try adding them in - only you will know how they effect you! If you feel great eating them, wouldn't that be a good sign you should continue?

• Moderators

The Whole30 would be a low-carb diet if research and experience demonstrated that it was important to eat low-carb. For most people, however, consuming carbs through starchy veggies is important to feeling and performing optimally. 

Amberino & Denham,

Thanks for your replies!

I'm definitely "weight-loss" fixated here and realize my need to relax and let it happen, at its own speed. You asked how much I have to lose. Well, I'd be happy to lose 15, joyful to lose 30.

This isn't, as you said, all about loss, though. I do veiw myself already fairly "healthy." I don't eat sugar or processed foods, live on a farm  and have a HUGE organic vegetable & herb garden  (and EAT them, too!). I eat only grass-fed beef and venison from my husband's winter hunting trips, etc. But I am terrified of carbohydrates.I had come to the conclusion that I'm  a low-carb "lifer." Weight Watcher type diets don't do me any good. No one will hear me complain, though, if I can manage a bit more carbs on this plan. In my heart, I do love them. :-)

I will confess that I have a goal; I need to fit into a particular outfit for a music performance in December. So, that's to blame for my anxiety about how far I will be at the end of 30 days. I'll take your advice, along with a deep breath & ...chill.

Thanks again,

Fit@40

I'll echo Tom. I'm coming here (day 23) from LCHF and more recently from a ketogenic bent. I could never get my blood ketones where they needed to be. So I let go of the fear of carbs and have been eating a 1/2-1 sweet potato a day and half an apple on several days per week. I don't now about the scale by I know I have lost weight. The other difference is I have more energy. Not a lot...but more, more contentedness. I don't usually log my food but I have done it a couple days and Lo and behold, my net carbs are still around 50. So still low carb by many standards, but not ultra low. So as a LC lifer....I'm now reconsidering and may be more Paleo-ish. I've been eating grass fed everything and no gluten and the increased roots and lack of dairy is really the only change I've made. Give it a shot!

Will do, Minianotti!

I'm eating higher-carb veggies in moderation and waiting to see how this goes.

I'm on day 11 and  can't say that I see or feel any weight loss benifits yet (I know, I know...this isn't only about weight loss) but I am being super good and waiting for "the change."  I've read that between days 7-11 is when  progress begins to show. Until then, I do feel great  in  over all well-being. I'll take that as my reward for "good behavior" for now.

Thanks!

-Fit@40

Will do, Minianotti!

I'm eating higher-carb veggies in moderation and waiting to see how this goes.

I'm on day 11 and  can't say that I see or feel any weight loss benifits yet (I know, I know...this isn't only about weight loss) but I am being super good and waiting for "the change."  I've read that between days 7-11 is when  progress begins to show. Until then, I do feel great  in  over all well-being. I'll take that as my reward for "good behavior" for now.

Thanks!

-Fit@40

Take every day (every meal) for itself and don't worry about what might be. Enjoy today! Make healthier choices today! Notice I didn't say "good" choices I said "healthier" choices. One thing I've found is that steering the way I talk about my food choices from "good and bad" to "more healthy and less healthy" makes a huge difference in my ability to make those choices. There is no morality in food. As someone who has come from a place where food was my rebellion this is a huge mental shift.

As to the progress showing everyone is different. The timeline gives a good general guideline but it is a 30 day program for a reason. And no it isn't a weight loss program. Whether you lose weight or not will depend a lot on where you are coming from. I didn't lose a lot on my W30 because I was already eating mostly paleo before my W30. I have lots of fat to lose but I'm much more focused on my health. The fat loss will come and I will keep trucking on.

So stay focused on the results you are currently seeing, don't worry about tomorrow, focus on today!

Fit@40 and miniannotti.   I also have been low carb since 2000.  It really did amazing things for me as well and I maintained a healthy weight until 2011...stated creeping up even on my low carb.  It's kind of like after about a decade, my body started adjusting.

With a lot of great suggestions - I've curbed my concern about carbs on this program (I'm on day 23).  Basically still no fruits - but I've enjoyed sweet potato, butternut squash, and pumpkin.  I haven't counted carbs.  I've definitely eaten a lot more food than I have.

I also don't know that I've lost any weight.  My clothes don't feel looser.  Amberino made the comment to me that the goal is to reestablish a relationship with food and that I should think health....which might lead to a little healthier metabolism in the long run.

I've really relaxed about eating the starches.  I am so happy to actually be eating breakfast - not relying on stevia, half and half, and other crutch type things to put in my tummy to avoid eating real food.  I'm happy to be really expanding my palette to eat a lot of different types of foods.

I'm not sure how I'll feel at the end of 30 days - if I want to go back to watching the carbs a little more closely again....to try to focus more on weight...but for now I'm happy that I was encouraged to focus on just eating healthy to regain a little better balance.  I think I needed it...not to think about the weight.

I'd love to hear how you are doing and how you continue to think about carbs moving forward given we  have had some significant time being low carb.  The dress in December....I relate.  I've certainly been there before too.

Good luck to both of you!

Stubby & Kaylakala,

Please don't tell anyone but I stepped...on...my...scale...last...week. (shhhh!) I  dropped almost 10 lbs in about 2 1/2 weeks. I'm not keeping the relationship open (with my scale) but I just HAD TO KNOW. So, I am more determined than ever on this diet. Being low carb and dropping the dairy and artificial sweeteners just had to make a difference, and so far it has. I think, more than anything, that in the kitchen I was picking on "no-no's" more than I thought. I have been religious on this Whole30 thing and I suggest to Kaylakala to stick to it, too. You will do great, I'm sure. I've been treating the sweet potatoes and  berries as a weekend treat. Even then, I'm cautious, but have something to look forward to through the week. I do love sweet potatoes and they make up for no dairy in my book. I'm going to stick to this diet until December (and will ramp up the exercise :-) ) for more weight loss. Although, I am going to have to  add back a bit of cream and A DOT of stevia in my morning tea. (It's the British in me!) -Fit@40

Yeah!  Good for you and it's so encouraging.  The dress WILL fit beautifully.

Thursday is my day 30.  I have had sweet potatoes - no fruit.  I am not thinking I have lost weight - but I will step on the scale on the weekend I'm sure.

I'm so happy for you!!!!!  I can't wait to hear more.

Archived