Type 1 Diabetes & The Whole30

Hi Laura,

First, I want to say great job getting your numbers at an optimal level before pregnancy-- this will ensure you have a healthy and less stressful pregnancy! I am 24 weeks pregnant with our first child right now and I must say that having tight control to begin with has helped immensely-- doesn't make it easy, but gives you an advantage for sure.

I did a whole30 back in August, a month before I got pregnant and I also struggled with my BG's-- especially in the beginning. My biggest advice would be:

1. Play with the extended boluses like you said you were going to-- working so far?

2. If you reduce the intensity at which you are exercising you will probably need more insulin. Everyone is different, but I find that if I am not doing my normal 'high intensity' exercise (with is really more 'mid intensity' now that I am in my 2nd trimester) I need to increase my basals sometimes by 20% or more. It makes a HUGE difference in how my body responds to the insulin I give.

3. Cut out dairy-- I am not saying that it is necessarily bad for everyone. I eat pastured dairy now that I am not doing a whole30, but I do find that it can affect my BGs-- ESPECIALLY yogurt of all kinds. Not sure why, but it is worth eliminating and trying to figure out what you are sensitive to-- health and diabetes wise.

4. Get used to experimenting/troubleshooting/tweaking insulin levels-- you will do this A LOT in pregnancy. Especially when insulin resistance starts to kick in mid-way through the 2nd trimester (i.e. now for me)!

Hope to hear back as to how everything is going and would love to help in any way that I can! Good luck! :)

-Casey

Thanks all. I should've said that so far my Whole30 was modified, don't want to sound like I'm taking credit for doing one while still having dairy. Don't know why it's been so very hard for me to cut out, but after your informed responses, I will. I appreciate the feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone -

Jason, congratulations to your family and especially your daughter, and thank you so much for sharing your story. I forwarded it to a friend whose daughter was just diagnosed, with an explanation of why I strongly suggest they at least eliminate gluten from their diets, and I hope they find the energy and courage to give it a try.

I finished a Whole45 last September, and am now on day 11. I had fallen off the WholeWagon in several ways - drinking way too much wine, way too many treat foods, eating cheese since it's low-carb and delicious... so now i'm Whole30ing again, with the goal of not only getting my relationship with food back on track, but also figuring out whether nuts, dairy, and eggs belong in my diet. Interestingly, I never liked eggs as a child, and have noticed that when I eat them as my main protein source, I sometimes feel nauseous afterwards. So I'm essentially trying my own version of the autoimmune protocol, but keeping my nightshades and spices.

Casey, congratulations and best wishes for a healthy pregnancy and happy baby! Thanks for sharing your experiences. I am so interested to see what happens with yogurt. I sometimes turn to greek yogurt as an easy no-cook way to get some protein, but of course it's most delicious with some fruit added so I have never been sure what effect it has on my blood sugar (since I could always blame a high on the fruit).... Based on some of your earlier advice from last fall, I have reduced my HIIT - now I mostly lift and sprint once or twice a week. I sometimes add "finishers" as described in this post: http://www.negharfonooni.com/2013/03/14/the-lean-and-lovely-recipe/ and am enjoying that. When you said you found breathing ladders helpful for figuring out when you "spike" during a workout, did you mean they have helped you figure out the point when you start to approach high intensity and your blood sugar starts to go up? I would be really interested to hear more about that.

My last A1C was 6.0, which made me so happy, but I don't think it was the healthiest 6.0 - probably too many ups and downs, when I would rather be 80-140 all the time. Of course that's not realistic, but it's a goal. I have been feeling really good for the past 11 days, though, by simply committing to this and making conscious choices. I've had a few days of unexplained highs in the low 200s, but NOTHING over 250 in the past week, which leaves me much more even-keeled. Anybody else really notice how their moods change or improve when their blood sugar is steady?

Anyways, best of luck to everyone. Keep posting - I like seeing the "HOT" label next to this thread!

Bryn

Hi, I've been a type 1 diabetic for over 30 years and plan to start my first Whole 30 on April 1st. I am also gluten, lactose and soy intolerant. I've been gluten free for almost 12 years and have been eating a mostly paleo diet since November.

I am old school and don't have a pump. I've found that since eating paleo I have reduced the amount of quick acting insulin I need to take before meals but still need to take a few units to compensate for protein and fats. I think I will be doing a slightly modified Whole 30, as I plan to use glucose tablets to combat low blood sugar as opposed to drinking juice or eating fruit as I'm less likely to overshoot with the tablets.

My biggest concern is friends who will give me a hard time for not drinking. Thinking maybe I need better friends.

Archived