Tired all the time

erinmm

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's last January and have been taking meds for it since then. I am still tired all the time. I workout 4-6 days a week so it's not that I'm too tired to do anything, but tired none the less. Trying the Whole30 to see if something in my diet is causing me to feel so tired. I'm on day 15 today and haven't felt the change in energy that I'm striving for.

I am doing the regular Whole30 not the autoimmune. Should I try taking eggs out?

My meals for today were:

1. two fried eggs using coconut spray, 1/2 sweet potato, two tablespoons of Trader Joes thick coconut milk blended with a 1/4 cup almond milk and half frozen banana

2. snack~ 1 hard boiled egg, 4 apple slices dipped in a tablespoon of Almond Butter

3. 2 small boneless chicken thighs, 1 cup grilled broccoli, 1/4 sweet potato, handful black olives and 1/4 cup strawberries

4. Prewkout 1 hard boiled egg, handful nuts

5. Postwkout 1 small boneless chicken breast

6. pork chop, cup grilled broccoli in olive oil, 1/4 sweet potato and small salad with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber in balsamic/olive dressing

Am I doing something wrong?

Your meals look awfully light to me. A serving of eggs is as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand. I would fry them in a real fat not coconut spray. When on W30 I fry mine in ghee or bacon fat personally and usually eat 3-4. I'd also ditch the smoothie in the morning and add some additional veggies to your morning meal. Your post workout meal should include starchy veggies.

I was feeling that always tired foggy feeling before Paleo/W30 and I feel much better now.

How much sleep are you getting? How is your stress level? What kind of workouts are you doing?

I sleep 8-9 hours a night. I was drinking the smoothie to get my fat in with breakfast.

I'm a first grade teacher, so my stress level can get pretty high. I do a combination of strength training and cardio. I'm a personal trainer so I know my way around the gym :).

I eat dinner relatively close to my post workout meal (20-30 min later)that's why I don't include a lot in it. I don't want to eat too much. I'm up at 4:15 every morning so I'm in bed by 8 nightly.

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's last January and have been taking meds for it since then. I am still tired all the time. I sleep 8-9 hrs a night. I workout 4-6 days a week so it's not that I'm too tired to do anything, but tired none the less. Trying the Whole30 to see if something in my diet is causing me to feel so tired. I'm on day 15 today and haven't felt the change in energy that I'm striving for.

I am doing the regular Whole30 not the autoimmune. Should I try taking eggs out?

My meals for today were:

1. two fried eggs using coconut spray, 1/2 sweet potato, two tablespoons of Trader Joes thick coconut milk blended with a 1/4 cup almond milk and half frozen banana

2. snack~ 1 hard boiled egg, 4 apple slices dipped in a tablespoon of Almond Butter

3. 2 boneless chicken thighs, 1 cup grilled broccoli, 1/4 sweet potato, handful black olives and 1/4 cup strawberries

4. Prewkout 1 hard boiled egg, handful nuts

5. Postwkout 1 small boneless chicken breast

6. pork chop, cup grilled broccoli in olive oil, 1/4 sweet potato and small salad with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber in balsamic/olive dressing

Meals 5 and 6 were within 30 min of each other so I didn't include starchy veggie at 5. I always eat dinner around 30 min after my workout. Do I still need to include a pre workout meal?

Am I doing something wrong?

I bake my sweet potatoes in olive oil does that count? I feel full after every meal and am not starving between meals. Curious to see what a moderator says. Wondering if I should try the autoimmune protocol.

Thanks for your input!

hi erin

i'm not sure on whether you should do a AI protocol, many advise that a normal whole 30 is a good place to start! you may consider doing another, or continuing with the extra things cut out after your first whole 30 and see if you get any more improvements. Some people also take longer than others to feel the benefits - it will depend on your background and what your body needs to do to "heal". you are only half way through the 30 days - a lot can happen between now and day 30!

In terms of your current meals however,  

Your meal one is light in protein and vegies - a serve of eggs is as many as you can hold, that's likely to be 3-4. i'd aim for 2-3 cups of vegies. Blending your food (like your smoothie) is highly discouraged during your whole 30, eating the food is beneficial in many ways. You could easily drink the coconut milk and eat the banana. I personally don't like spray oils, and can't stand the coconut one, so prefer to use the real thing! ghee is also delicious and adds flavour to your eggs :)

snacking is also discouraged - eating a more substantial breakfast may mean you get through from meal 1 to 2 without feeling hungry. if you are starving between meals though, try and go for vegies over fruit with your protein and fat.

i'd definitely keep the preWO in, and include the starchy vegie carbs in your postWO. they'll be more beneficial to refuel and recover if you have them sooner rather than later, and without the addition of fat. You may possibly try to push your meal 3 back a little.

many people eat starchy carbs to keep their energy up, but I find if I eat too many throughout the day I get sluggish. perhaps experiment with having them once a day, plus postWO, instead of with every meal?

• Moderators

I agree with what Physibeth said. I bet you need to eat a little more, with a focus on adding fat and starchy veggies. During a Whole30, you should not only not be starving between meals, you should feel genuinely satisfied. Working out 4 to 6 times per week is a lot for a busy teacher with Hashimoto's, at least if you are working hard. I'm not hearing anything that makes me think you should move to the AI protocol. 

You can't feel more energy by pushing yourself harder or doing hard protocols. You have to support your body with plenty of food and rest over a period of time. This is a 30 day program for a reason. Feeling magic at 15 days happens occasionally, but most people need closer to 30 days. And with Hashimoto's you may require months of good living to feel better. 

Archived