Fatty snacks?

frankie

Can anyone suggest some good things to eat that are high in fat? I've been craving fats like crazy lately but I can't really think of anything to eat! I can't eat nuts or seeds on a regular basis as they bother my stomach. I'm already eating a bowl of fruit and full fat coconut milk about an hour and a half after breakfast (no matter what I eat for breakfast I'm always starving within 2 hours), but otherwise I try not to snack any, but lately I've just been starving. Even at meals I'm trying to put in extra fat but I just don't feel satisfied. Right now what I'm usually eating is salmon and vegetables for breakfast, with a couple tablespoons of coconut oil. Lunch is chicken and vegetables with another couple tablespoons coconut oil. Supper varies, but it's usually some variation of beef and vegetables, sometimes white potatoes. The vegetables I eat are usually bok choy, broccoli, carrots, cabbage, radishes, peppers, mushrooms...maybe I'm not getting enough carbs? It's getting to the point that I'm so hungry I'll wake up in the middle of the night absolutely famished. A banana and peanut butter holds me over til breakfast, but again, I shouldn't be eating many nuts, and it's 3:00am when I'm doing this!

I'm also not doing a whole30 proper...I did two of them over the summer to figure out my food intolerances, which are a lot, but I've added back in a few things. I occasionally use grass-fed butter (either on veggies or when I'm home and really hungry I'll just eat a bit of butter :/  ), and raw honey in my tea if I'm sick. I'll have rice once in awhile because that doesn't make me sick, but that's mostly just when I'm going out to eat, which isn't often. Otherwise I stick to meat, veggies, fruit, and fats.

Can you post what you're actually eating, with rough amounts, and activity level etc? Another thing to consider is whether you're eating enough protein.

You could have coffee/tea with coconut oil/ghee/coconut milk, add mayo to everything, eat avo's etc. bacon is also considered a fat during a whole 30.

Choose fattier cuts of meat as well.

• Moderators

Needing to eat snacks suggests you are not eating enough at meals. You say you need a snack two hours after breakfast no matter what you eat, but I disagree. If you ate enough protein and fat at your breakfast (and other meals), you could go 4-5 hours before becoming hungry again. My guess is that your portions sizes need to increase. Also, you might need to eat 4 or 5 meals per day for a while. I ate 4-6 meals per day for at least a year before I got to where I was comfortable eating just 3 meals per day. Eating a full meal is better than snacking on something just to fill your stomach.

The big three for fat is avocado, olives, and coconut. I agree that avoiding nuts and seeds is a good thing. You can mash avocado to make your own guacamole and have it on lots of foods. Olives make a good addition to many plates. And coconut is good in all its varieties - milk, flakes, butter...

Amberino21, I usually just toss all those veggies in a big pot and cook them for the week, and eat about 1.5-2 cups a meal. If I run out before the week is over then I get a bag of steamable vegetables and put butter on them. I'm not particularly active, though I do martial arts two nights a week. It's more of a muscle workout than cardio. I don't move much at my job either, but the weekends and the two nights a week I'm actually home it seems I'm always on my feet.

I really don't like mayo... :/ and eggs make me sick now :( I used to eat bacon or sausage for breakfast but I wanted to add in fish to my diet. I wouldn't have a problem eating bacon again though :) I like my coffee black, though I have tried it with coconut oil or butter to get more fats but it did not sit well on my stomach, plus I just like my black coffee too much!

Tom, I could try eating more at breakfast. I used to eat a meat and  sweet potato with coconut oil but found I had a hard time finishing it. I'd feel absolutely stuffed, but then I'd be hungry 1-2 hours later. Previously this had only been a problem with breakfast, never after lunch and supper, but since getting back on track the last few weeks I'm often hungry and might start gnawing on my coworkers. It's not just hungry like my stomach's empty either - it's not being satisfied, like I feel like I'm missing something (not in a craving bad things way, but in a deficiency way). Could it be that I'm not eating enough at supper to hold me over until breakfast? I do admittedly have problems eating supper sometimes. Even if I'm hungry I just don't like to eat, and supper is the meal that often gets slighted.

Almond Butter has a good deal of fat in it, if you need a little extra after a meal or something,  I know it's generally poo-pooed because it's easy to over eat.  But sometimes after a meal, I feel like I need a little extra something, and a spoon or 2 of that generally helps fill and remaining gaps in my appetite.  Just make sure its 100% almonds with no extra ingredients.  

I love coconut butter on sweet potatoes for breakfast.  Because it's such a pain, when I buy a jar, I melt it, pour it onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment and let it set in the fridge.  Then I break it into pieces like brittle and store the pieces in a tupperware in the fridge.  I do the same thing if I make it myself (just put unsweetened coconut flakes in the food processor and run it for as long as it takes to get really creamy - takes a while!).  That way, I don't have to soften it each time I want to chip a bit out of the jar. 

Frankie - Coconut manna is sometimes called coconut butter or coconut concentrate. It's like peanut butter, but with coconuts. If you buy some (you can make it yourself too) check that the label doesn't have added sugar or agave, it needs neither. Artisana is my favourite brand and smoother than I can make it myself.

Have you considered a nutrient deficiency? Have you had a blood test lately? You might be low on something essential, if your body isn't getting it from what you're eating (you mentioned changing your diet recently). Years ago I went through an extreme chocolate craze, I ate chocolate I didn't even like, it was vile and I couldn't stop eating it. It was magnesium, took some tablets, went away :) I'd get your B levels and trace minerals checked. Eat some liver.

I'd avoid the peanut butter on a hungry stomach if you can, switch to macadamia or almond butter. Just in case it's something stopping your nutrients being absorbed once you eat them.

I use the microwave, but you could also simmer it in hot water for a while or probably even put it in a low oven for a while.  It would take longer, but with some stirring, you should get there.  See my post above for what I do after I heat it so you only have to do that once.  The pieces will melt on whatever you put it on without further heating.  Getting it out of the darn jar is the hard part!

• 3 weeks later...

Since you're post-Whole30, maybe some coconut oil fudge (SWYPO, so not Whole30) that's got no sugars?

I make a modified PaleOMG one, which is nut butter, coconut oil and a little bit of cocoa or cacao (I think the original has honey, but I don't use it). You can also make layers with coconut manna, once it's cut up, the solid is an advantage in the fridge.

Fat soluable vitamins are: A, D, E & K, so if they're in your recent meals or fudge ingredients, you may get some extra vitamin bang :)

Since you're post-Whole30, maybe some coconut oil fudge (SWYPO, so not Whole30) that's got no sugars?

I make a modified PaleOMG one, which is nut butter, coconut oil and a little bit of cocoa or cacao (I think the original has honey, but I don't use it). You can also make layers with coconut manna, once it's cut up, the solid is an advantage in the fridge.

Fat soluable vitamins are: A, D, E & K, so if they're in your recent meals or fudge ingredients, you may get some extra vitamin bang :)

That sounds delicious...and slightly dangerous! Definitely treat-worthy :)

Archived