Completed Whole 90 - suggestions for going forward?

I've now completed 90 days (30 days on, one off) of Whole 30. I didn't see the results I was hoping for - 8lbs the first 30 and 4 each 30 after. I have been doing regular, moderate exercise (walking/jogging 6 days a week). I did experience increased energy and decreased cravings which was great. Though it's not all about the weight, I would like to increase the rate of loss. I'd like to lose at least 55lbs to feel healthy. I'm not sure how to proceed. I have been to a doctor and had my thyroid and metabolism tested. Both are sluggish/slow.

Some options I have thought of:

a) Reintroduce the restricted foods - track reactions, etc. as described in the book

B) Stick with the Whole30 plan

c) Move to Paleo eating after a) above

d) Stick with the Whole30 or Paleo but eat more frequently, smaller meals

Suggestions? Thoughts?

I think 8 lbs in the first 30 days and 4 lbs in the two after that is awesome!  Congrats!  I would keep doing what you're doing to keep up that great pace.  If there are foods you really miss or foods that might come up when eating out that you'd like to know ahead of time how you react, I would do a proper reintroduction of those foods.  Otherwise, I'd keep it up.  1 lb per week on average is a great, healthy, sustainable pace. 

Tom the Moderator often tells his story that he never lost more than 2lbs a week after switching over to Paleo/Whole30 eating. He just did that for 2 years and got to a place that he's happy. It sounds like you're in much the same place that he is, which is very sustainable and healthy!

I'd recommend ditching a couple of days at the gym. Maybe 3-4 instead of 6? Lift some weights, do some yoga, don't go crazy with the jogging.

I would echo everyone else. Your results are great! I suggest you do careful reintroductions and transition into a sustainable paleo lifestyle. I personally lost about 9 lbs my first 30 days and have lost 1-3 lbs every month since. I only weigh myself on the first of the month and I track body measurments as well. I'm back into most of the pants/skirts I was wearing before I got married (at 15 lbs heavier). Definitely add some strength training! 

Let me check... You are not happy with a weight loss of 16 lb in 3 months, 64lb in a year? Really? While increasing your health? Are you sure? A rapid sustained weight loss while keeping full health is pretty difficult to do, I think you are doing wonderfully, any of those options will help but none are magic bullets, you just need time

Archived