Calcium for Broken Arm?

Frankiekex

I found out that my broken arm is not healing properly today after x-Ray !

Apparently taking ibuprofen hinders bone repair - and I have been taking loads for the pain from the arm and the last week for headaches from a sinus infection, wish they could have told me a month ago at the first X-ray.

I am now worried as he said if it isn't getting better by my next appointment in 3 weeks time they might have to operate, and being on the W30 and no dairy I guess don't help.

Can I take calcium supplement to help with the healing or is there better things to add to my eating etc?

Help!

Thanks @GFChris!  In reading that I was reminded of my beloved sardines!  Get the ones with the bones!

As for bone broth, if you google it or search the forum you will find a ton of information for making your own. 

For beef, I used beef marrow bones.  I use 2 pounds of bones, 4 quarts of water, 4 garlic cloves, 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and salt to taste.  Put it all in the crockpot on low for 24 hours or so.  There are probably as many methods for bone broth as there are people using this forum :).

Make sure you're getting enough vitamin D3, magnesium, potassium, zinc, vitamin K2 and all the B vitamins.

Lots of things in the body help it heal and lay down bone (not just calcium), vitamin B is thought to help with nerve regeneration.

Get plenty of sleep too, your body is doing some heavy lifting :)

I'm so glad you posted this!  I've been having a lot of pain in my foot for many months, and after x-rays and two separate MRIs, my podiatrist finally found a stress fracture that had been getting gradually worse from the running, etc. (so much for "work through the pain"!) and put me in the Boot of Doom.  I've been looking for a way to help it heal so that I can not only exercise again but get my slightly more attractive footwear back as soon as possible.

As it happens I have bone broth in the refrigerator right now, and enough beef and lamb bones in the freezer to make two more batches.  Not to mention the bunch of bananas that I pretend I eat for the potassium (when really I'm just addicted).  I'll be looking up sources for the other nutrients listed right away.

Also, dairy is a terrible source of calcium. It's not very bio-available and most of the calcium in it is added after the fact. Dark green veggies are a much better source, as is bone broth.

Just take some roasted bones (grass-fed beef or pastured chicken is best, but any bones will work, make sure there is some cartilage and connective tissue in there with them) and throw it in a large pot on the stove or a large crock pot. Add carrots, onions, and celery (all with skins and ends included) plus some garlic, bay leaves, parsley, a couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (the acid helps leech minerals out of the bones), and whole black peppercorns. Cover with water and let simmer for 24-36 hours. Salt to taste and use in recipes or drink straight.

Archived