Flabby! What gives?

EvJaye

Hi,

I am on Day 15 after a massive reset (attempted a Whole30 in August, got mostly through it, then tanked big time). I work out 6 days/week: either Crossfit or running track or just running. I do take one day off/week. I'm sticking to the template and while my hips and thighs are smaller, my stomach is one big flabby pooch. I'm surprised! Is it that I need to do more abs? Someone at the gym suggested that my body might be burning muscle instead of fat. A typical day looks like this (and I eat the same thing almost every day)

B: 2 hard boiled eggs, small spoon of almond butter, some salad or sliced tomato, black coffee

L: Big salad with lettuce, tomato, onion, cuke, an organic turkey patty (plain old turkey and some salt), one hb egg, maybe a small apple or some grapes, 1/2 avocado

D: Another turkey patty, salad, 1/2 avocado, maybe some fruit or a sprinkling of nuts on the salad, maybe a handful of raisins.

Sometimes for lunch my salad will be kale with grilled chicken and avocado. Sometimes I have that turkey patty for breakfast with a salad. Sometimes the eggs are scrambled. Once in awhile I will have a cup of pumpkin soup (puree pumpkin and chicken broth) or a small sweet potato.

Any thoughts? I feel like for the amount of working out I'm doing, I should be ripped! Or, perhaps my workouts aren't all that great and they just seem great since I'm working out more now than I used to...?

Thanks in advance,

Eve

Your meals look light to me for the level of activity you have. Are you also eating snacks pre and post workout?

Besides adding pre and post workout snacks, I would up the veggies to at least 2 cups per meal. Maybe also up the protein to 2 palm sizes. Have a full avocado instead of 1/2.

• Moderators

You are not eating enough and you are working out too much. If you really want to lose some flab, cut your workouts to 4 days per week and really rest on 3 days. And eat more. Your body holds fat when you eat light and work hard.

Thank you both. Tom, is it really possible to work out too much? Back in my 30s, I ran 65+ miles a week and did double workouts 3-4x per week... I was in pretty amazing shape and low body fat so naturally now I think I actually need to work out more not less. I'm not sure I can get my brain around both eating more and working out less...

Oh and no - I generally don't eat a pre-workout meal and my post-workout meal is breakfast since I do all my workouts early morning (hence not eating ahead of time - i'd need to be eating at 4:30am to make that happen!) My salads are at least 2 big cups if not more. I actually think I'm overdoing it on veggies some times.

You are definitely not eating enough - I'd suggest having a proper postWO of lean protein and starchy vegies with little to no fat, then meal one later. You need the extra nutrition.

Stomach fat could be due to high cortisol levels. Which you are likely to have with that exercise regime and lack of recovery food. Working on your abs is not going to make the fat go away! Cut your workouts like Tom suggested and enjoy the rest :)

And, fwiw, I eat salads out of salad serving bowls...I'd say 6ish cups if not more! You can't really overdo vegies, and getting in lots of nutrients is good for your health and recovery. If you're training hard, you need more than someone who isn't due to the stress you're putting on your body. World health organisation recommends 9-13 cups a day for people training

Amberino, I just did a quick search and read on high cortisol levels in women and I have almost all of the 10 common symptoms, especially the thick middle, lousy sleep, crappy sex drive, and low level anxiety. Thanks for the potential tip. I wonder if youve had any experience with treating or balancing cortisol levels? I think I'll check it out with a naturopath or my doc. I'm not going to use the prospect as an excuse for my thick middle, but it is worth investigting further. I sleep sooooo poorly. Thanks!

Archived