Did I totally mess up my reintro?

ksweet

I think I have messed up my reintro. I thought we were supposed to focus on dairy, gluten grains, nongluten grains, and legumes. So I drank milk for breakfast and cheese for lunch. But I also had regular bacon at breakfast, some chocolate after lunch, and white potatoes with our pot roast. And now I feel sick, but now I don't know what I'm sick from??? I have a slight headache, that foggy feeling, and some intestinal upset. I was too afraid to eat dairy for dinner. So tomorrow do I continue with dairy but go back to Whole30 foods for everything else? Or is the other stuff already in my system and so I won't be able to accurately judge reactions?

Thanks for any help!

it would depend on the ingredients of your chocolate! you could have had a mix of things so it's hard to determine.

you could eat compliant again for a few days and then reintro again, with only the compliant food group. bacon and white potato shouldn't be an issue - the bacon is non compliant due to sugar which doesn't get its own reintro and shouldn't cause huge digestive issues, and white potatoes more for emotional/associative reasons.

just to clarify, when you reintro, you include the chosen food group in each meal on one day. the next two days (or more) should be 100% compliant to gauge any reactions before doing another reintro  

That's what I had thought about the bacon and potatoes so that's why I went ahead with them. Unfortunately, the chocolate was a small handful of Nestle chips, so I guess they would have had a mix of things (I don't have the bag now).  The website says; SEMI-SWEET CHOCOLATE (SUGAR, CHOCOLATE, COCOA BUTTER, MILKFAT, SOY LECITHIN, NATURAL FLAVORS). Perhaps the soy?

Can I just keep out the chocolate and continue with the dairy tomorrow or just go back to Whole30 foods? 

My husband suggested just staying Whole30 indefinitely but I can't afford to waste the food we have, like bulk coconut flour and sausage from our local farmer that contains sugar. But I am bummed out about how poorly I feel already. 

thanks for your help, Amberino. 

If you want to really determine what caused your issues, go back to 100% compliance for 2-3 days, then reintro dairy again. only dairy - no chocolate!! it's hard to know what caused your issues - it could be dairy, it could be soy, it could be the combination. there are so many variables!!

like I mentioned above, you only eat the reintro'd food on ONE day, then at least two 100% compliant days. you don't eat the reintro'd food for more than one day.

(coconut flour is compliant, and your sausage is unlikely to cause you issues....avoiding added sugars is a good idea but the small amount in the sausage you have is unlikely to unleash sugar dragons!)

Oh, I totally didn't get that from the book! I thought we ate dairy three times a day for two or three days, then gluten grains (which I wasn't planning on reintroducing) for three times a day for two days, etc. 

So, not to be dense, but do I go compliant, eat dairy for a day, go compliant, eat dairy and a grain for a day, go compliant, etc.? Or do I cut out dairy while testing out the nongluten grains? 

And, is it okay to eat SWYPO foods as long as they're made of compliant ingredients? Like I said, I have a ton of coconut flour waiting for me!

Thanks again!

On every reintroduction day you want the only thing not compliant to be the thing you are reintroducing. I would also add that 2 days is the minimum clean days in between. If you get a reaction and are still feeling the effects of the reaction you should stay clean until you feel better again or you won't know for sure if the next reintro causes a reaction.

Reintro would look something like this:

Day 1: eat compliant with dairy added

Day 2&3: 100% compliant

Day 4: compliant with gluten grains added

Day 5&6: 100% compliant

Day 7: compliant with non gluten grains added

Day 8&9: 100% compliant

Etc, etc...

(It doesn't have to be in that order, or including those food groups - you choose what to include and when)

Once you've reintroed something, you do not eat it again until the reintro process is over.

Does that make sense?

You can eat what you like as long as it's compliant....you may find these foods aren't as satisfying anymore, or realise you should avoid them anyway.

Your health and well being is worth more than any food! Trust me, the day I worked this out and threw out about 5lbs of Lindt chocolate that lived in my pantry was one of the best moments ever!

Thank you, Amberino and Physibeth, I totally didn't get this from the book and am not quite ready mentally (I like to overplan). 

So I guess the plan is that I'll be compliant for the next two days then I'll try dairy and allow for some noncompliant things, like sausage or paleo bars (but no chocolate!). I don't want to add gluten grains or legumes and I don't really care about corn and rice. 

I understand what you mean in terms of just getting rid of minimally nourishing foods like chocolate but my coconut flour, almond flour, and sausage were small investments, since I bought in bulk. I just can't justify ditching good quality food. We're a single income family with five little ones so money can't be wasted. 

Thank you both so much for the help! On to the next journey!

Amberino and Physibeth covered the reintros really well.  I just thought I'd add a bit about the paleo-ified foods and added sugars.  The only reaction I noticed during my reintros was a psychological one to corn on my non-gluten day.  I suddenly found myself hungry all the time...and I was hungry for SUGAR.  If I had been having sugary things and SWYPO on my compliant days, I may not have noticed this reaction.

That's a good point, Nico. I don't plan on reintroducing corn or rice anytime soon, since I don't miss them much at all. I was worried about the paleoified foods triggering sugar cravings but I didn't think about corn and rice triggering cravings for other things, such as sugar. Though it does make sense. Thanks for more insight!

Hi @ksweet! I am glad your question was answered! Let me know how you get on!

I noticed how bread triggered a psychological response in me. I found myself smelling the pizza that was baking and then wanting it. However this only happened once and I quickly nipped it in the bud. The other psychological response was me wanting more and more bread...

Nico has a good point. I also didn't notice much beyond psychological responses during my reintroductions. I found all the grains triggered the binge response and pushed vegetables off my plate. I posted about my reintroductions (and my pretty detailed plan) in my post-W30 log if you wanted to check that out for your own benefit.

I would highly suggest that you stick to W30 eating during reintroductions to minimize the variables. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

is reintro less successful if you "screw up" and then go back to 100% compliance for 2-3 days, then try reintro again?

I know this answer is late, but the answer is no, not really.  If you have a negative reaction you will want to wait for that to calm before you start your proper reintros, though :)

I'm confused by this though... if you can still go back and reintro after you've gone lax on the Whole30 for a day or so as long as you go back to 100% compliancy for a couple days, wouldn't that mean that it should only take 2-3 days of compliancy to Whole30 rules to begin with (a Whole2-3)?  What's the difference during reintro?

I'm confused by this though... if you can still go back and reintro after you've gone lax on the Whole30 for a day or so as long as you go back to 100% compliancy for a couple days, wouldn't that mean that it should only take 2-3 days of compliancy to Whole30 rules to begin with (a Whole2-3)?  What's the difference during reintro?

The difference is your starting palette. 1 day of off roading after 30 days of compliancy isn't going to take you all the way back to where you started. 

• 2 weeks later...

Whoo boy! I also misunderstood the Reintroduction schedule to mean that you introduce the food group at every meal for 3 days. Darn! so we (hubby and I ) reintroduced dairy for 3 days! then waited a day (only because I didn't have wheat products in the house) to start the wheat group. We started that yesterday lunch, had sandwiches, pasta and bread for dinner, and toast this morning... so 3 meals of gluten. My dilemma now is I'm not sure how to proceed. I think my husband will be less than excited about starting over. He is a tall thin guy with no passion for food, so he was willing to just follow my lead. But he has noted a couple of times that he misses the bread, and would really like to have a bag of chips. As for me, I posted elsewhere that I got started on this in the hopes of sleeping better, losing my tendency to phlegmy throat, and no longer experiencing nocturnal muscle cramps. I can't really say that any of that changed. Additionally, even before we started the whole 30 reintroductions  I started getting patches of exczema  in the crook of my elbow, something I haven't had for a couple of years now.  So now I'm not sure how to sort this all out. I WILL say that personally, I don't have any problems going back to 100% compliant. I have really been enjoying the meals, and I DO seem to have lost my cravings for the eliminated foods. THe difficult part is convincing my husband. We also used to dine out with another couple frequently, and have not done that now for a month as I didn't want to take a chance with noncompliant hidden foods. <sigh> Thanks for any advice!

Whoo boy! I also misunderstood the Reintroduction schedule to mean that you introduce the food group at every meal for 3 days. Darn! so we (hubby and I ) reintroduced dairy for 3 days! then waited a day (only because I didn't have wheat products in the house) to start the wheat group. We started that yesterday lunch, had sandwiches, pasta and bread for dinner, and toast this morning... so 3 meals of gluten. My dilemma now is I'm not sure how to proceed. I think my husband will be less than excited about starting over. He is a tall thin guy with no passion for food, so he was willing to just follow my lead. But he has noted a couple of times that he misses the bread, and would really like to have a bag of chips. As for me, I posted elsewhere that I got started on this in the hopes of sleeping better, losing my tendency to phlegmy throat, and no longer experiencing nocturnal muscle cramps. I can't really say that any of that changed. Additionally, even before we started the whole 30 reintroductions  I started getting patches of exczema  in the crook of my elbow, something I haven't had for a couple of years now.  So now I'm not sure how to sort this all out. I WILL say that personally, I don't have any problems going back to 100% compliant. I have really been enjoying the meals, and I DO seem to have lost my cravings for the eliminated foods. THe difficult part is convincing my husband. We also used to dine out with another couple frequently, and have not done that now for a month as I didn't want to take a chance with noncompliant hidden foods. <sigh> Thanks for any advice!

My advice would be to go back to 100% compliant until you feel at least as good as you did at the end of your Whole30 and then try reintroductions again. However if you didn't really see the results you wanted from your Whole30 you might need more time or some tweeks. Did you keep a food log? If your husband is over it and doesn't care then let it be with him and just focus on you. It makes some things more complicated but it is doable. I've been mostly paleo with multiple rounds of strict for almost a year now and my husband still eats his SAD food.

Reintro would look something like this:

Day 1: eat compliant with dairy added

Day 2&3: 100% compliant

Day 4: compliant with gluten grains added

Day 5&6: 100% compliant

Day 7: compliant with non gluten grains added

Day 8&9: 100% compliant

Etc, etc...

(It doesn't have to be in that order, or including those food groups - you choose what to include and when)

Once you've reintroed something, you do not eat it again until the reintro process is over.

Does that make sense?

Thanks that really clarifies things for me when it is time. 

Archived