Pressure Cookers

ArcheoGator

Well, my Crockpot bit it last night. I had a meal going for over four hours, and it did not even get warm. It was a simple version, so not too much to troubleshoot. It made it almost a decade.

So, I am looking around for a replacement, and soon. There are new appliances now that can work as a slow cooker or a pressure cooker, and I am curious. They are not cheap, but it would be nice to have a device that does it all. I am looking forward to some wild game this year, along with chili on the colder nights.

Can anyone make recommendations on these appliances? I would just like to be sure before I break out the $80-$100 that I have found.

I bought an electric pressure cooker, the packaging assured it worked as a pressure cooker, rice cooker & slow cooker - HOWEVER, you can only slow cook for 90 minutes :huh: I rang their customer services & had a lovely long chat with a fella who insisted that the pressure cooker setting would tenderise meat just the same way & that if i particularly wanted to go out & leave it for 8 hours i should just use the delayed start option. I must admit, I'm kinda coming round to his way of thinking, it knocks out a mean stew :) But i still hung onto my crockpot!

I've not used one myself, but if you can find a particular brand you want, you may be able to get it online or on sale much cheaper.

Crockpots are also something many people buy but don't use, so a friend or family member may be happy to give you theirs if they don't use it.

I love my pressure cooker!  It's really nice on those unexpected rainy days where a stew would be amazing and I didn't set up my slow cooker that morning.  I can make an amazing stew in less than an hour in my pressure cooker and it tastes better then when I'd make it in my slow cooker.

I just bought a breville combo slow cooker and pressure cooker combo and absolutely love it. It has a sear function to brown meat before slow/pressure cooking and if I'm short on time I'll give the meal a quick 15min pressure cook before switching to slow cook. It also has a steam function but haven't used it yet. I definitely recommend it

I love my electric pressure cooker!!! :wub: It is wonderful! It has a browning feature which is great and also switches to a simmer or keep warm setting after the cooking. That is what is similar to a slow cooker I think.  I use it all the time for meats to veggies to soups.  :)

Thank you for the replies. We did decide just to replace the slow cooker. There is such a huge price difference between the slow cookers and pressure cookers, at least with the electric ones. So, we will probably save for a pressure cooker. I at least wanted the slow cooker right away because I use it so often. Time is not as much of an issue, but I was/am considering the pressure cooker for those days when I run out of time, and to just have one more method of cooking.

Archived