What to do when you hate sweet potatoes...

RedHead

Oh, shrimp and grits. My hubby's family makes it as a New Year's Day late breakfast thing. Theirs involves bacon, garlic, shrimp, white wine, and cream. Oh yeah, and grits. 

I guess it's a good thing that dairy and ground corn aren't a problem for me (whole corn, now, that's a different story - can we say it looks the same on the way out as it did going in?). It's decadence to the fullest!

But it's definitely not an everyday sort of food! 

As for the sweet potato thing, I'd never really eaten them growing up. When hubby and I were together, he would make the super sweet thing for Thanksgiving...I didn't really like it because it was WAY too much. I was obsessed with sweet, but it was too much even for me. Sweet potato, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, marshmallows...now I think sweet potatoes can be too sweet if they're just sweet potatoes and nutmeg/cinnamon/ground ginger or cloves. Amazing how your tastes change, isn't it?

I love shrimp and grits, it's something I have once a year when we visit New Orleans. I could make it at home, being a Georgia girl I learned at an early age how to make grits, but once a year just makes it more special and more of a real treat.

I like to do twice baked sweet potatoes. I bake, scoop out the flesh, mix in some sauteed onions, garlic and compliant bacon then back into the sweet potato shell and into the oven for 15 minutes until the tops are little crispy.

I must admit, when i first heard about sweet potato casserole, made with brown sugar & marshmallows, as an accompaniment to a turkey roast, i thought someone was pulling my leg :lol:

Really? That's a dish? To have with meat?

I went to America on holidays when I was younger, and was in shock at the various hotels breakfast buffets when people were mixing sweet and savoury foods on one plate. Like scrambled eggs, bacon, fruit, pastries, covered in tomato sauce (ketchup).

Better yet, Amber, it's a "vegetable." ;) Very traditional side dish at Thanksgiving, at least in the American South (I'm not sure about other parts of the country). It's also the reason I thought I hated sweet potatoes till a year or two ago - even before Whole30 I thought vegetables shouldn't taste like dessert! Lots of times there's pecans as well.

To the OP - if you want to try to like sweet potatoes, I'm a big fan of this recipe!

http://stupideasypaleo.com/2012/05/21/wills-yam-fries/

Edit - I see that you've already made an admirable effort to find a way to like them, so I'm sorry if the link is unhelpful to you! But maybe someone else will benefit.

I'm glad to see there are other people (like me) who don't like sweet potato because it's so sweet (and because it tastes like sweet potato)! I also don't like pumpkin/squash. Yuck. Tastes like pumpkin.

I've been looking for the reasons why white potato is the only starchy root forbidden on Whole30, not really explained on the website, just "this is a bit arbitrary..." Is it explained in the book? Various paleo sites seem to say you shouldn't eat it if you are trying to lose weight, otherwise it's ok. But some talk about toxins in the skin.

I feel like I am not getting enough carbs, and low-carb makes me miserable and difficult to live with. I'm on day 8.

I'm glad to see there are other people (like me) who don't like sweet potato because it's so sweet (and because it tastes like sweet potato)! I also don't like pumpkin/squash. Yuck. Tastes like pumpkin.

I've been looking for the reasons why white potato is the only starchy root forbidden on Whole30, not really explained on the website, just "this is a bit arbitrary..." Is it explained in the book? Various paleo sites seem to say you shouldn't eat it if you are trying to lose weight, otherwise it's ok. But some talk about toxins in the skin.

I feel like I am not getting enough carbs, and low-carb makes me miserable and difficult to live with. I'm on day 8.

If you aren't getting enough carbs, eat more carbs!! You might not like sweet potato or pumpkin, but there are other options - how often are you eating starchy vegies?

Potato is not part of the whole 30 mainly because of its association with unhealthy preparation. It's a staple of most meals - often taking the form of fries! It's also not that great for you nutritionally, and a few people have issues digesting it.

I guess it's true that all the ways I like potato include a lot of fat in the preparation! But I'd be treating sweet potato the same way to try to make it palatable anyway.

I try to include a wide variety of vegetables so I think some of them are starchy. Carrot, parsnip, broccoli, onion. But I am no-where near up to the volume of the 6-8 cups you have mentioned you do (though I think that was for salad vegetables).

For lunch today I had 2 lamb chops, a small carrot (raw), a whole cucumber, half a tomato, a quarter of an apple. That is fairly typical of the amount of vegetables I have, but the types vary. Tonight I plan to have a chicken breast wrapped in prosciutto, half a parsnip, around 5 asparagus spears, some snow peas and about a quarter of a head of broccoli (everything baked in the oven).

I am only 5' (152cm) tall, 43 yrs old and quite sedentary, so this is plenty of food for me, I would have trouble fitting more in.

I guess it's true that all the ways I like potato include a lot of fat in the preparation! But I'd be treating sweet potato the same way to try to make it palatable anyway.

I try to include a wide variety of vegetables so I think some of them are starchy. Carrot, parsnip, broccoli, onion. But I am no-where near up to the volume of the 6-8 cups you have mentioned you do (though I think that was for salad vegetables).

For lunch today I had 2 lamb chops, a small carrot (raw), a whole cucumber, half a tomato, a quarter of an apple. That is fairly typical of the amount of vegetables I have, but the types vary. Tonight I plan to have a chicken breast wrapped in prosciutto, half a parsnip, around 5 asparagus spears, some snow peas and about a quarter of a head of broccoli (everything baked in the oven).

I am only 5' (152cm) tall, 43 yrs old and quite sedentary, so this is plenty of food for me, I would have trouble fitting more in.

You don't eat that many vegies, or that many starchy ones. Remember that vegies are not that calorie dense so you can eat a lot without needing to worry that you're eating too much. To get more starchy carbs, I'd have a couple of carrots and perhaps beetroot in your salad, a parsnip at dinner, plus carrot or another starchy vegie.

Have you tried grating sweet potato or pumpkin in to things like curry or bolognese or stew/casserole? It kind of disappears and you wouldn't know it was there!

Chunks roasted in ghee and spices are delicious too :)

Squash works well for me - acorn or butternut in particular.   You can cube it up an it keeps well in the fridge for a while and then I just microwave however much I want and add coconut oil and often a bunch of cinnamon to it.   

And yes - most Americans do sweet potatoes/yams as absolute dessert.   Mashed up with butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, sometimes nuts, often baked with marshmallows on top for Thanksgiving, and you eat it with the turkey or ham.   It's probably got more sugar than a piece of pie.   Not that I eat that anymore, but it is really good with the turkey...

I've been trying to get my husband to at least eat SOME whole30 compliant things, but he won't touch sweet potatoes because he says he wants "dinner, not dessert".   Heh.

I love hearing about what people from other countries are eating or not eating! so interesting. I'm from Texas and LOVE sweet potatoes. I could eat a couple a day...but won't! Rutabagas are great, not quite as strong as turnips and make a great sub for white potatoes. I peel, slice, boil and then add ghee.. yum. This morning after I cooked a couple of pieces of compliant bacon I added some frozen okra to the pan.. had it with my eggs. I would have never done that 30 days ago!

I once roasted rutabaga and parsnip and then mashed them together.  It was good.

Really? That's a dish? To have with meat?

I went to America on holidays when I was younger, and was in shock at the various hotels breakfast buffets when people were mixing sweet and savoury foods on one plate. Like scrambled eggs, bacon, fruit, pastries, covered in tomato sauce (ketchup).

I have a sweet potato casserole I've made for Thanksgiving that has mashed sweet potato mixed with eggs, sugar, vanilla, and then topped with a mix of pecans, flour, and brown sugar and then baked.  Almost like a dessert but served with meat.

I am from Chicago and I had never heard of sweet potato pie until I became an adult.  I guess I'm a real Yankee.  We only ate sweet potatoes with butter.

I've had to get away from the starchy vegetables while on the Whole30 because I don't really like green vegetables so was avoiding them.

To get back to the original question - what vegetables to eat in Germany - your thought to go to the local market and see what is "in season" or "available" is the way to go.

Archived