PVCs

Secretly, my true intention on trying Whole 30 is to reduce the number of what I believe are PVC (premature contractions of your heart).  My reason for this is because they are the #1 trigger for my panic disorder (my ultimate goal is to control these through diet and exercise but for now I am medicated) and although it was not specifically listed as one of the medical ailments Whole30 can help treat, I have found that since about day 4 or 5 they have decreased drastically. I haven't said anything until I just read on a facebook post that it helped someone else with the same issue.

So I am curious if there is anyone else on here who has experienced this?  Were you able to identify what was triggering them?  So far through reintroduction they have not come back.  I get about 1 per day, maybe a couple while I am exercising, especially at the start but still far less than normal. Part of me has always thought they were related to blood pressure or weight because at times I weighed less I would have fewer events.

I know the obvious answer is "go see your doctor" which is planned but just to clear that up -

I believe they are PVCs but in the past 3 years I have had about 5 EKGs, a sonogram and a holter monitor to try and figure out exactly what they are. unlike a lot of people I don't get them all the time.  The doctors I have seen have put no restrictions on activity or diet for me.  Before whole 30 I would notice about 5 per day (and before I got treatment for panic attacks there would be days where I would be aware of every single beat my heart would pump) but there could be days with none and days with more but I could never get anything to show up on an EKG.  So its not confirmed but based on other people's experiences and descriptions that is what I believe they are.

Mine was kind of a reverse experience, but it was eye opening for me.

I did my first Whole30 back in January and found out that wheat really makes me quite sick (actually, most of the grains do).

Later in the year a gastro convinced me I should do a "gluten challenge" and have the test (requires a general anesthetic) to see if I am coeliac. Before you have the test, the gluten challenge is to have gluten three times a day and you do this for several weeks.

Well, at just over a week I was feeling really really really ill. The worst I have ever felt in my entire life. 

I had hot flushes, turned bright red, felt light headed and was really really scared.

The scariest part was my heart, it was thumping and bumping and my blood pressure felt weird.
I thought I was going to have a heart attack and die, it was that bad.

I went straight to a doc and he told me it looked like I was having a panic attack.

I stopped eating wheat immedately (cancelled the test) and felt better the next day, but it took me a long time to recover my health. I don't believe it was a panic attack at all. I've never had anything even close to an anxiety or panic attack before and I really think it was the wheat. I'd eaten low carb for a long time so even when I had wheat, it was never in high volume.

Obviously we're not quite in the same boat, but I'd be careful with grains. I really thought I was going to die and would prefer no one else has to go through that.

did you remove or edit your post Liz?  Kind of curious what your initial response was. my feelings would not be hurt.

so as an update, I have been less careful with my diet post whole 30 and I have noticed a slight increase.  I have not eaten much in the way of legumes but I may cut out Gluten and Dairy for a while and then give each a longer introduction period.  I had a race on Sunday and in the 2 days before I fell back into the "comfort zone" of food, eating plenty of grains (and dairy too) when I should not have.

I have no interest in the Gluten Challenge!  I feel like I have had years of my life where every day was the gluten challenge! LOL. What you described does sound exactly like my panic attacks but a panic attack is not necessarily based on something that is actually concerning you, its chemical.  So I think it is completely possible that eating gluten gave you a panic attack just as I am using food in an attempt to rid myself of panic attacks.

Sorry if this is too off topic, but I found this article fascinating:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/546045-intermittent-rage-disorder-gluten-free-diets/

Just one of those things where they're discovering that gluten sensitivity can cause hormone disruption that manifests itself in ways that seemingly have nothing to do with diet.    Like you said, those chemical imbalances/triggers could certainly be a cause for panic attacks (or in the case of the article, violent outbursts) when your body can't function properly.

Fingers crossed that it works out for you!

the focus here seems to have shifted from its original intent to how food can effect your brain.  Fine by me though, that article was interesting.  I think its strange that they focused on Intermittent Rage Disorder and glossed over Clinical Depression which is far more pervasive.

I actually read an article on Grain Brain a few weeks back.

But that was not really the intent of my post.  I have already made the commitment to diet and exercise as a means of keeping my panic disorder under control. That is how I found my way here in the first place, whole30 was the latest step in a process that started 17 months ago.  I have been discussing with my doctor when I can start weening myself off of the medication but I know I will not be successful unless I can control things that trigger the panic attacks.  Some things are not within my control and I always thought the PVCs were part of that.  So I was wondering if anyone else had some success stories on reducing or eliminating their PVCs following Whole 30 or a Paleo lifestyle.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

yes, I have noticed mine have completely stopped. I had them quite often. Doctor confirmed. I am going to cardio doc this week can't wait. I notice if I eat a high carb,high sugar I feel it almost immediately. I was about 20 days in when I realized it. It's great! I am going to bring it up to my doc. Oh and I'm also down 21.8 pounds!! Alcohol also triggers this. Good thing I never drink. Good luck!

Archived