Day 17, What am I doing wrong?

deeni

I think I have been 100% compliant with whole30 approved foods but I'm not experiencing many changes. I am sleeping better and have greatly reduced flatulence and bloating. However I have had no weight loss whatsoever and feel lethargic. I can't exercise properly - I like to run 5km 6 days a week. I'm conking out after 3.

Breakfast is 2 eggs & 4-5 sauteed mushrooms, both in ghee, some berries

MT - serve of fruit (I eat breakfast at 6am and lunch is 1am - I'm a teacher). can't make it to 1 without MT. 

Lunch - large green salad with handful roast sweet pot & pump (cooked in ghee), 6 olives, serve protein and either mayo or balsamic.

AT - some nuts - cashew or almond or macadamia. Or an apple.

Dinner - serve of veg and ground meat. Few pieces of cantaloupe.

Drinking plenty of water and herbal tea.

What am I doing wrong?

You need to eat much more, especially considering you're so active.

Edited to add: I'll elaborate a bit :-)

While using fat for energy is sufficient for those of us who aren't as active, it'll become much more difficult when more cardiovascular activity is added. That's why you'll need more carbs, and starchy carbs in particular, to fuel your activity. You know how people who run marathons eat a ton of carbs before the race? It's to fill the glycogen stores, which are used mostly during the activity. And when people hit the wall, so to speak, they've used up their glycogen stores and switching to using fat isn't quite that simple. That's pretty much what's happening to you (at least that's what it sounds like).

I'm simplifying a bit here, but the point is that for you to be able to expend energy quickly, you'll need to have more energy in your glycogen stores. More protein wouldn't hurt either to repair and maintain your muscle tissue.

I am still quite new to this but I don't think you are eating enough for breakfast - you should eat as many eggs as you can hold in your hand. For me that is four. And you need more veggies with it. How about adding some pre-cooked sweet potato and greens and making a hash style breakfast?

Your MT and AT should be mini-meals combining veg, protein and fat. Not just nuts or fruit. Try a small pot of  cold meat or canned fish with cherry tomatoes and mayo. 

And make sure your lunch and dinner are big enough (and follow the meal template) to keep you full. 

If you are new to this way of eating you could be going through the detox process which is why you are finding your running difficult. Give it time. 

AND  - why are you weighing yourself on Day 17? That is a total no-no until after the thirty days are up. 

Stick with it and you will soon start to feel the benefits( says she from Day 42). 

Sharyn took the words right out of my mouth!

I'm also going to ask where your pre/postWO meals are? If you're trying to exercise, you need the extra nutrition and fuel from the added food. PreWO is protein and fat, postWO is a meal sized portion of lean protein, starchy carbs with little to no fat.

When are you running? If it's after work, could you have meal 1 @ 6:30, meal 2 @ 11, preWO after school, run, postWO then dinner? Or meal 3 after school, pre/postWO later on ?

I also find that the more you are on the Whole9/30 website, just reading and re-reading, you find more information to make sure you are dong this properly. I've read the Whole 30 guidelines over like 10 times....now have backed off a bit but it is good to revisit to make sure you aren't missing things. Since I am on my first W 30 and on day 7 I am no expert...you can't do this "sort of"...it has to be bang on! That's just my 2 cents.... :)

Thanks all. I haven't actually weighed myself, just going by look and how clothes fit. I will reduce my fruit and increase protein snacks.

What are veg that have starchy carbs?

I also didn't realise I should have a pre workout meal. I ran this morning before work with the dog and managed 5km well. Didn't eat before I went. Generally I run after work in the week and early on the weekends. The weather is great in Melbourne right now so I can run more before work. There's so much to think about!!

Thanks all. I haven't actually weighed myself, just going by look and how clothes fit. I will reduce my fruit and increase protein snacks.

What are veg that have starchy carbs?

I also didn't realise I should have a pre workout meal. I ran this morning before work with the dog and managed 5km well. Didn't eat before I went. Generally I run after work in the week and early on the weekends. The weather is great in Melbourne right now so I can run more before work. There's so much to think about!!

I would try increasing meal sizes, changing meal timings and adding in pre/postWO meals - you may find you don't need snacks at all. Snacking is discouraged, and if you're starving between meals, go for a mini meal of protein, fat and vegies.

If you were running before school, you could have a pre/postWO, meal 1 at recess, meal 2 after school, and meal 3 at 7ish?

Starchy vegie carbs are sweet potato, butternut pumpkin, parsnip, beetroot, carrot, pumpkin etc

Silly question, but does a 5km run really justify a pre/post W/O meal?

I am coming from a long time position of massively under eating. Less than 1000 calories a day for 5 years. Eating all this food is terrifying. I'm worried about weight gain. I'm close to optimal weight - losing 2kg would be all I'd want to do. It's really important I get the balances right as I think weight gain could be fairly easy.

Silly question, but does a 5km run really justify a pre/post W/O meal? I am coming from a long time position of massively under eating. Less than 1000 calories a day for 5 years. Eating all this food is terrifying. I'm worried about weight gain. I'm close to optimal weight - losing 2kg would be all I'd want to do. It's really important I get the balances right as I think weight gain could be fairly easy.

YES!!!!

I am coming from a long time position of massively under eating. Less than 1000 calories a day for 5 years. Eating all this food is terrifying. I'm worried about weight gain. I'm close to optimal weight - losing 2kg would be all I'd want to do. It's really important I get the balances right as I think weight gain could be fairly easy.

starving yourself is not healthy. you need to eat. you may put on some weight initially as it will take a while for your body to realise that this food isn't going to stop, and you aren't going to starve your body again, but eventually it will learn to use the fuel you're giving it efficiently.

don't stress about your weight. think about the positive effects the good food will have on your body, and your health.

Yes it does, and eating more in general.

Being on large caloric deficit for a prolonged time will get your hormones out of whack. Adding cardio several times a week will make it even worse. Weight loss and fat loss aren't just a numbers game where you would put in certain amount and expend certain amount and the results would be linear. It is way more complicated than that and your body will try to balance everything you do to it in order to survive. So if you are under both mental and physical stress and don't get enough nutrients, there is a very slim chance your body will let go of any weight. Why would it?

Great... Those fruit snacks were probably hampering your fat burning ability and making you crave more calories overall. When you eat the right amount and have adapted you will be able to go for seven hours without food without undue stress when needed, its a nice feeling. I took 18 days to adapt, until then I felt like I was running through wet concrete

The wet concrete analogy is a great one. I've experienced that too.

I'm day 22 now. I am getting food quantities and mix better. 

Another question - As I'm eating more at breakfast at 6am, then a 10.30 mini protein, fat snack, I'm just not hungry at 1pm lunch (remember I have limited eating time due to teaching). Should I eat my lunch after work? If I did I wouldn't want dinner. My hunger is really diminishing. I like that feeling. Ditching the fruit and upping protein has been a big factor.

Deeni, could you eat your lunch in two sittings? Perhaps make it a slightly larger portion than normal. Eat it at Recess and after school, or recess and lunch time? I think that would be more beneficial than skipping a meal...

Maybe decrease the protein slightly, so you are hungry for meals?

Day 25 update. 

I am now eating enough at 6am to get through to 1pm and then again to 6pm for meal three. I have enough energy and no hunger pains. I'm really, really happy with this! Thanks to all for your input, it's been really helpful. 

And I have noticed a body change. Only slightly, but I feel more compact or toned or streamlined. Whatever!! 

Archived