First Whole30 started October 12

Sam-I-Am

I just had to report in with my results. I lost 12 pounds, putting me one pound below my pre-pregnancy weight with my first baby! I lost 2 inches off my waist and 2.5 off my hips, and between .5" and 1" off everywhere else I measured (bust, thighs, etc.) And I'm still feeling awesome!

I think deciding to re-intro homemade sourdough first was a good call. Not only do I love it, I've read that people with gluten intolerances can handle long-fermented sourdough better than regular bread. The long fermentation and the wilder yeasts break down the gluten better before the bread is baked. At any rate, I had a couple chunks of bread with 3 eggs at breakfast, and then two slices, toasted, and topped with tuna (with homemade fail mayo), tomato and homemade pickles for lunch, and I'm not yet noticing any negative effects. Tonight we are eating out at a Tex-Mex restaurant, so I'm already planning to have fajitas, but asking the waiter to hold the cheese and sour cream so I'm not even tempted to eat them.

I still can't believe I did it! I'm really encouraged. I had tons of energy this morning; my nearly-three-year-old and I weeded our front flower beds and planted winter annuals together. The girls are both sleeping now and I have plenty of energy still. I swapped my summer wardrobe for my winter wardrobe and would go scour the kitchen, but that would wake someone up and result in unhappiness. And since we are taking my husband's new boss out for dinner tonight, I am pretty sure he'd prefer happy kids to clean kitchen. Same goes for the laundry. The laundry room shares a wall with the big one's room and the machines wake her up. I'm trying the channel the energy into buying more Good Food (hooray for Bountiful Baskets) and meal planning.

I'm pretty much failing hard at my reintroduction phase. I'm a crazy mix of emotions and altered reality. Maybe if I bullet point all the things I'm feeling and thinking I'll come to some resolution.

-I intended to reintroduce gluten grains on Monday, and when I stuck to just gluten grains, I felt fine.

-Only I also had corn chips that night. And not one or two. Quite a few.

-Something gave me some terrific gas as a result but since I messed up by adding in corn, I don't know what.

Tuesday I did really well; I tried some chocolate and didn't feel like I wanted any more than just the one chocolate piece I tried (it was the size of an American quarter). My body asked for some of the spaghetti sauce that was simmering all afternoon instead, so I ate a few bites of that and was satisfied.

-I also had half a glass of red wine last night. It was AMAZING. Before, I always went for the sweeter wines because of my crazy sweet tooth. But after a month of no sugar, the complex and slightly bitter flavors in my Merlot were very enjoyable. It also metabolized super fast. I had heard that sometimes having a drink after a Whole30 knocks people over. Not me. The buzz lasted maybe 30 minutes. My husband had the same experience.

-Today I intended to eat clean...and then my small group went out for breakfast at a cute little cafe and I fell off the wagon with gluten food and probably some dairy. I ordered quiche, and it came with a biscuit and bowl of fruit. The biscuit was covered with melted butter-like substance so I pulled that part off and ignored it. I scraped the cheese off the top of the quiche and ate the middle, not the crust, and ate my fruit. And then as the biscuit and quiche crust sat there looking at me sadly, I ate some. I didn't need to; I ate two eggs and some sweet potato this morning as a defense against bad food. I didn't eat ALL of it, but I ate enough and it was definitely not clean eating. And I don't have any idea what was in there. I want to avoid dairy 99% of the time now but I'm pretty certain there was butter in the quiche crust, probably milk in the quiche, and buttermilk in the biscuit.

-So clearly going out to eat is a BAD IDEA because I have very little self-control if there is any food around me that I shouldn't be eating.

-And since I fell off the wagon eating breads this morning I'm continuing on my quest for self-sabatoge by eating some more of me homemade sourdough. With homemade peach jelly. Just keepin' it real.

I don't really know what to do now. I like that I've lost so much weight, that I sleep better, that my preferred size pants fit the way I want them to, that I have tons of energy, and that I look for ways to include more veggies in what I eat. -But I don't love the 100% clean all the time restrictions of the Whole 30. On the other hand, if I open myself up to eating beyond Whole30 compliant foods, I stray too far and show too little self control.

Well...I'll try again tomorrow. This time I'm going to eat clean until Sunday, with the exception of wine, probably. Then I'll try bread again, and only bread!

If you want to do a proper reintro, I'd give yourself a bit more time of whole 30 eating to recover from whatever your body may experience after eating lots of things in a short time.

When you reintro, eat the reintroed food at each meal on one day, then have at least two compliant days to gauge any reactions before reintroing something else.

Archived