Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

morkkel

Day 1 - October 21st

For the first few weeks I was living with a deadline in sight for this journey, now I'm just sitting here thinking that I may occasionally reintroduce things here and there but for the most part I really enjoy the way that I feel and the changes that this is making for my health!!

Mhill -- Thanks for sharing!  Very well stated!!

Bring on Day 25!!

Robert, I am a newbie starting my Whole30 next week, and am reading through the forums for ideas, hints, motivation... you just gave me possibly the biggest motivation to date! I have sleep starts, though I have never heard the term, and they keep me from going to sleep for between 4 and 6 hours, yes hours. The hope you are holding out here is too fabulous for words, and just doubled my commitment to the Whole30 (from 100% to 200%, grin). Thank you!!!

For about 15 years now I have been having what are called sleep (somnolescent) starts -- kind of a jolt awake between the transition from wakefulness to sleep.

Gosh, I am on top of this forum today! Greek - glad I'm not alone in grocery expenditures. You are right, I'm saving in not eating out, I guess I wonder how families with kids do it! I can't believe the cost - but suppose that's a different issue altogether! Are you hungry in between meals? I am hungry, and the next meal is on my mind all the time. However, I am literally eating until my body says ENOUGH! So not sure what to do in between meals except suck it up! And drink copious amounts of water. I am so excited that you are going to continue the journey! I definitely want to tag along and see how far you can go! Shoot for the moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars!

My original goal was energy. I have been consistently sleeping 8 hours a night my whole life, but my energy levels just stink. I have perpetually low iron, so hoping to find out why I have such difficulties absorbing it - thought maybe it was a gluten issue? Plus the increase in meat and veggies would surely help...right? So anyway, can probably blame my energy on the iron, but was hoping to gain more hours in my day, or at least more life in those hours - if that makes sense! I suppose my other goal has been met - eating out less and eating healthier. So I guess one out of two ain't too shabby!

if you're hungry between meals, you either need to eat more at meals, or eat more meals. you shouldn't be hungry. protein and fat are the two things that will have the biggest impact on how satisfied you feel between meals. perhaps try increasing your portion sizes for these two things - make your breakfast bigger, as this is thought to give people greater satisfaction over the whole day.

how long do you go between meals? perhaps it's too long - 4-5 hours is recommended. if it's longer, you may need to space your meals differently and have 4 meals a day.

Amberino21/Moderators -- what is the skinny on fish oil supplements?  I set mine aside during Whole 30 after reading the label ... soy, gelatin etc.  I suppose I shouldn't need to supplement if I continue post Whole 30 with the real food model?  If fish oil supplements are appropriate, can you point me in the right direction?  Same question/issue re multivitamin.  Thoughts?  Thanks!

Gosh, I am on top of this forum today! Greek - glad I'm not alone in grocery expenditures. You are right, I'm saving in not eating out, I guess I wonder how families with kids do it! I can't believe the cost - but suppose that's a different issue altogether! Are you hungry in between meals? I am hungry, and the next meal is on my mind all the time. However, I am literally eating until my body says ENOUGH! So not sure what to do in between meals except suck it up! And drink copious amounts of water. I am so excited that you are going to continue the journey! I definitely want to tag along and see how far you can go! Shoot for the moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars!

My original goal was energy. I have been consistently sleeping 8 hours a night my whole life, but my energy levels just stink. I have perpetually low iron, so hoping to find out why I have such difficulties absorbing it - thought maybe it was a gluten issue? Plus the increase in meat and veggies would surely help...right? So anyway, can probably blame my energy on the iron, but was hoping to gain more hours in my day, or at least more life in those hours - if that makes sense! I suppose my other goal has been met - eating out less and eating healthier. So I guess one out of two ain't too shabby!

Morrkel..you said much that resonated with me...so....here you go. :)

Hunger between meals.  No, I can't say that i'm hungry between meals EXCEPT when I don't comply with the Post w/o rules.  For some reason that lack extra protein and carb for recovery sets me way back and I'm hungry for as little as a day, if not two.  I've learned the hard way to comply with the work out food rules. 

As far as the cost of food and families....I have friends who are coupon fiends.  Trouble is coupons are great for the SAD...which is completely junk.  How much processed cereal can a family eat?  Better question, how much processed cereal SHOULD a family eat?  I'm not a food snob by any means.  I believe that people have to do what they have to do financially and I have no business judging that.  But I will tell you I come from a familial history of immigrants.  My grandparents didn't have much money, but they ate real food.  We don't live in that kind of society anymore.  My soap box so I'll jump off it :)

Re. you sleep and iron levels.  Well your fatigue makes TOTAL sense.  As a healthcare professional I am aware physiologically of the ramifications of anemia.  As someone who suffered from it for a period of time, I'm intensely aware of the personal frustration and fatigue that goes along with it.  I have to say, when I've eaten junk, I'm tired.  When I was anemic, I was EXHAUSTED.  Huge difference.  And it's for a reason.  The diet has nothing to do with it.  In fact, you're probably better off with the diet because your are getting whole nutritious iron based foods I it.  Now the fact that you can absorb the iron your taking in makes me curious.  I don't know what your ethnic is...but have you been tested for Thalassemia or other iron deficiency things that do not allow absorption despite the presence of iron?

I'm rooting for you and will be curious to know how you feel off whole30.  I'm pretty stinking AMAZED you've been able to stick with it this long so kudos to you!

mhill - so glad this program has been so great for you!  Awesome accomplishments!!!

Robert - Seriously 15 years and they are gone?  How perfect is this!  I love the way you think about reintroduction having that as your gauge!

KJ - Welcome!  Please join us as you start your journey and keep us posted on how things are going.  I'm going to continue on for a while (10 day commitment at a time) so I'll be along with you.

Happy day 25 tomorrow gang!

KJ - welcome! I hope you find your sleep here!! 

Robert - could not be happier for you! You seem like such a fun loving guy, so I'm glad any issues you had with sleep have vanished!

Greek - You are wonderful, just wonderful. You're right - health is an investment and there is a way to do it on a tight budget. Investing in your health is the best investment you can make! Please, hop on your soapbox anytime - you sound great up there!

I have never been tested for Thalassemia (I don't think), I'll have to ask my oncologist! At first my hemoglobin was just low - this was found during one of my surgeries (had cancer), so we added supplements...and lots of them. Then they tested my ferrous, and it was at 5. So they hooked me up to some ferrous IVs for a couple months. It jumped to 31, but then dropped back to 7, so I'm back on IV infusions. We've done the usual internal bleeding tests, etc. But no one has done any type of integrative medical testing - food testing - hence the reason I thought I'd take matters into my own hands. My diet prior to this was clean, but with whole grains, less meat and less fat - not low fat by any means, just not this much. I'm also eating more veggies now and less fruit. I don't know if cancer treatment had an effect on me (chemo, etc), if I've always been low and just never checked as much as I have been in the past 3 years, or if there's something more I can do on the diet side so my body starts absorbing the iron I am consuming... I thought this diet - with zero gluten and loads of meat would help a bit?? I'm going to look into thalassemia, I appreciate the tip! I also appreciate the kudos - and the kick in the butt you all have offered each day on this forum. Really... best whole30 group ever! 

Hi Guys!!

Time is going by fast indeed, really enjoying this whole30 and I am thinking going even further with it! Will probably have 1 day of cheat during the week :)

I am confused though, WHEN ARE WE DONE? in my mind it's next tuesday since it'll be exactly 30 days, or is it this coming Sunday?

Morrkel-how long ago did you have Chemo? Are you still menstruating? Those two components alone speak volumes. Thalassemia becomes a less likely candidate. If you're not of mainly middle eastern descent, it's extremely unlikely. I have total empathy for you, and really am hopeful it turns around soon. Sometimes the only healer is time. Don't you just hate that. I give you so much credit for trying.

I think you mentioned having a naturopathic consult but you were worried about cost. True, very expensive. Does your oncologist partner with a naturopath? You know, like cancer center America does? If so, that would likely be covered. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of cancer? I ask only because I want to inquire from some of my colleagues re. Your anemia.

So happy to have you with us here. You started it all!!!

Welcome KJ! Greek - I agree with Morkkel...soapbox any time you wish. I love your insight. My parents were both born in Europe and I grew up eating very little packaged "fast" food (w/ the exception of rice/noodles/canned veggies) & RARELY eating out (it was a special treat for a birthday, etc.). I realize now that the only real driving force for me to eat out has always been convenience...not b/c I was actually craving the particular food that I ended up ordering. It was just b/c it was easy & fast. By far, my family is learning to appreciate all of the homecooked meals lately. The 6yo is going to take a little longer to sway, but we're working on him. At the end of his kindergarten year last year, the kids were sent home with their very own green bean plant that they had started from seed at school. We planted it in our backyard and my son was so delighted to be able to pick his own beans off it (quite regularly, actually, b/c it kept producing more), that he finally started to EAT them!  And he's said that he would like to plant MORE vegetables this year so that we can eat our own veggies "because they taste better than store bought.) lol. So, this summer's project will be to start our own backyard garden. :D  I'm a little wary of this b/c I have always had a BLACK thumb (not brown...black...kiss of death, really)...but I'm determined to make this work. Thankfully, I have green thumb friends who vow to help us get things rolling in the Spring.  Anyway...wow, I went off on a tangent there. Sorry! This was all related to food costing more. It does...sort of. But you can make it even out with more careful planning, buying local, in season produce when you can. Next year, I may also participate in a CSA (half bushel) to compensate for what we don't plant. On a positive, we haven't eaten out (with the exception of the pizza my husband ordered for him and my son when I got home late one evening & didn't have dinner pre-prepped). In the past, it was normal for us to eat out at any time of day (Starbucks for breakfast, lunch at work, lazy after work dinner) 3 days or more a week.  I am finding that now that I'm pretty well stocked up on all of the necessary pantry items (spices, fish sauce, etc.), my grocery bill is going back down a bit b/c I'm only having to buy the actual produce & meat needed each week.  Ok. Enough about that.

Robert -- so nice to hear about your sleep improvement. I used to have a TERRIBLE time falling asleep. It would take me 2-2.5hrs to fall asleep, and then there was still a chance I'd wake up. Now I fall asleep with no trouble, but as I mentioned earlier...having trouble staying asleep. Maybe my Tiger Blood is just hitting me at the wrong time of day?? lol We'll see if it's just a phase. Anyway...YAY for you!! And goodluck to you too, KJ!

MHill -- So happy hear how well you're doing too! And what you said resonated with me as well (the "deadline")...26 days ago, I was dreading the 30 days...and now here we are and it really hasn't been that bad. Even my friend Stacy (who has always had a fairly poor relationship with food) comment last night that while her boyfriend & daughter were discussing their pizza options, all she was there doing was craving roasted carrots w/ Ghee, salt and a ton of pepper! LOL. What a difference 25 days makes. Keep up the good work!

In addition to no longer having daily hives, my depression/anxiety has pretty much dropped off the face of the earth. I feel LIGHTER. CALMER. Just in general, grateful & content. My patience has improved, my relationship w/ my husband & son have improved, I've re-found my joy at the gym again. In general, the sun is shining on my life and I am soaking it in. That alone is PRICELESS for someone that often spent a lot of time struggling in the dark. Oh, and my skin IS clearing up. I was reserving judgement earlier b/c there's that time of the month when things usually take a detour...but no detour this time!

So, with that, I bid everyone a very delightful Thursday!!

Amberino21/Moderators -- what is the skinny on fish oil supplements?  I set mine aside during Whole 30 after reading the label ... soy, gelatin etc.  I suppose I shouldn't need to supplement if I continue post Whole 30 with the real food model?  If fish oil supplements are appropriate, can you point me in the right direction?  Same question/issue re multivitamin.  Thoughts?  Thanks!

I'm not a mod, but based on my research the only thing really worth buying/using is Fermented Cod Liver Oil. I like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Green-Pastures-Blue-Fermented-Liver/dp/B002LZYPS0

Gelatin isn't a bad ingredient by the way, but soy sure is.

Zeliya - I think since day 30 is Tuesday, we can begin reintroduction on Wednesday if we'd like! 

JK - way to take on a garden! I also have a black thumb. It's almost ridiculous how bad at gardening I am! I was looking at possibly community gardens? If someone is there to tell me what to do, I am much better!

Greek - thank you SO MUCH for your help! I am actually not sure about the homeopathic/natural doc partnership, I suppose I should inquire. I just went straight to the integrative medicine team to inquire about pricing, they ensured me insurance would not covor it. But as you said...if it's prescribed... hmmm...

Stopped getting chemo April of 2011. Started menstruating again (sorry all - TMI) around Sept of 2011. My descent is American White girl - no real cultural traits here. It was breast cancer - lobular and ductal. Prescribed tamoxifen for 5 years - from May 2011 - through 2016 or so. Thanks for doing all my research for me - I'm such a slacker! Thanks again... means a lot!

So, this summer's project will be to start our own backyard garden. :D  I'm a little wary of this b/c I have always had a BLACK thumb (not brown...black...kiss of death, really)...but I'm determined to make this work. Thankfully, I have green thumb friends who vow to help us get things rolling in the Spring.

JK - I am somewhat of an amateur vegetable gardener so I can chime in here.  We have two fairly decent size boxes in our backyard.  First, our kids (2 and 5) love the garden -- planting, digging, harvesting.  Second, the veggies do taste much better.  Third, I really enjoy it.  With that said, you can get carried away and end up growing the $64 tomato.  Here are my secrets -- 1.  Buy good seeds (I get mine online from Burpies.com).  2.  Don't hesitate to buy little starter plants from the local nursery -- you look like a [email protected] gardener right from the start.  3.  If seeds aren't germinating, just keep on planting stuff until it happens -- I refer to my style as gardening carpet bombing.  4.  Make sure you have good soil -- throw a bunch of bags of mulch and other goodies into the base to get things right before you plant.  5.  Don't overplant/overcrowd -- in the early years I was overzealous (see gardening carpet bombing above).  It is important to thin your seedlings so everything has room to grow and expand.  6.  Go for the winner crops -- I would rather grow 100 carrots and radishes than one gigantic broccoli or melon plant that takes up half the garden and pumps out 5 or 10 heads of broccoli or a couple melons.  7.  Plant lettuce and spinach from starters, not seeds.

Robert - YOU ROCK! THANK YOU for all of that helpful info!!!  And this --->

"...I refer to my style as gardening carpet bombing."

Bahh ha ha ha! Loved it! My son could totally get into that...maybe he can pretend to drop seed bombs from his many, mini WWII airplane replicas. (oh the vision I'm having right now) :lol:

Robert-hysterical analogy!!! Thanks for sharing the gardening wisdom. I was contemplating it myself this summer at one if those co-ops (to avoid major squirrel behavior in my yard) and you d given me some ideas!

JK-what an awesome testimony to the success of Whole30 for you. Feeling lighter calmer -what a gift! How will you handle re-entry?

Morrkel-well, lots if thoughts. First, advocating for yourself when you are the sick one is VERY difficult. It's very hard to remain objective and rationale when all you want to do is scream inside. So, I'm thrilled to hear you have had appropriate treatment. Remember I'm in western medicine. That being said, I also value eastern philosophies to a point. Ie, zinc lozenges may help with a sore throat rather than synthetic menthol. What I'm cautious about is people selecting alternative medicine rather than seeking out treatment for treatable conditions. You are not doing that. You are simply trying to balance your medical needs with some holistic support. This may include acupuncture and massage for stress relief (which is typically now covered) and nutrition support (naturopathic nutritionist). You have the right to ask you provider for prescriptions for these to balance out your recovery. You should also check with your insurance about coverage if you have that referral. I don't know where you live but some areas have nutritionist/holistic practitioners who specialize with certain diagnosis. If your providers have a "nurse navigator" they may be able to help answer some basic questions. The answer may be no, but worth a check.

As far as ongoing care-Tamoxifin can cause anemia. It would be erroneous to jump to the conclusion that it is the culprit, but it warrants asking because its a well documented side effect.

Hope that helps a smidge!

Is it really day 27 tomorrow? Wow!!!

Holy! Day 27 already - or maybe day 26 as my emails says??!! I've lost count, so maybe that's not a bad thing!

Greek - I agree, with my mom being a chemotherapy nurse - a mix of western and eastern has always been what I follow. I agree with your thoughts on Tamoxifen, my doc and I did an experiment where I went off it for some months to see if it helped...but maybe those months were not long enough for my body to recover. The body is a crazy thing - each one is different, so I'll keep experimenting until I find what clicks! Your suggestions, guidance, and "ear" are none to be matched! Glad we were able to "meet" one another!

How is everyone feeling today... not bad here. I am looking at joining a gym this weekend, as most of my workouts only involve running outside. I feel like I need to throw some weights in there! 

5, 4, 3, 2, 1 ... GO!  OK gang, let's get ready to ride without training wheels and a safety net in 5 days!

Two huge lessons, among many, that I have learned from this journey are (1) I can live just fine, thank you, without eating [email protected] for 30 days and (2) I feel, live and look better, thank you, without eating [email protected] for 30 days.  I thank you all for being here and sharing your successes and challenges, past and present.

I did have a few "I'm so over this" moments yesterday but moved through them.  

DAY 26!!

Thanks Greek! I love that I have such good news to share! :D

Morkkel - I hope you find a great gym to join. It's so important to find the right environment...it helps with motivation to keep going. I LOVE my gym and the people there. And yes, WEIGHTS would be a great addition! SO important to build muscle! Good luck!!

I am having a good morning so far. 6am gym this morning to do a couple "tests". Trainer had me do 4 sets of 250m Ski(er) for time w/ 2min break between; followed by a 1000m row, for time. I essentially rolled off the rower and crumbled into a little ball at the end. LOL. But I feel great NOW! ;)

Party tonight for my gym's 3yr anniversary...I am told that there will be some quality paleo food there to try. We shall see how much of it is Whole30 approved, though.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Hope everyone is having a great day!! Hard to believe this 30 days is coming to a close!

I've made it my new mission to not Need food. I guess I used to feel like if I was bored there was always a snack somewhere to kill some time.

However, yesterday was a rough day for me, probably worse than any so far. I was literally at home last night after a terrible day at the office and all I wanted to do was EAT. I was struggling. My roommate is a blessing, she shoved an apple in my hand and made me go on a walk with her. Then we popped in a movie and i snuggled up on the couch and just tried to forget that I was craving some serious snacks. Bad days still have the effect in the back of my mind but luckily I came out of it with an apple as a snack and no mishaps!

I guess it's going to take a little longer to convince my body that bad days don't need junk to get better.

Here comes our last weekend of whole30!

Mhill. -wow. I can relate. The nebulous desire to ear for no reason. You're an inspiration to me. Great success!!!

Odd food day today. I didn't pack lunch because I assumed I'd be home by then. Not so. So not only did I get a post w/o in, my lunch was a 1/2 bag of lettice with tuna fish and olive oil. Highly in satisfying -but made me think of Roberts comment about sometime food just being functional and other times enjoyable. Functional it was. Did have sweet potato as a snack with some pecans on top. I walked into my house to the smell of homemade pumpkin bread just out of the oven. Ugh! Then I had to whip up a batch of Chic Chip cookies for an event. Shoot me now. But I made it! Phew!!! I did try a new recipe for dinner. I've been enjoying salmon burgers. Tonight I mixed it up with clam burgers. Not bad. Recipe flaw but I'll get it. Flavor was great! Only concern-how much almond flour is too much? It's the binder in this and salmon burgers. Recipe is from ISWF. But if you think about it, almond flour is just ground almonds. So eating too much is a problem right? How much is too much? I'm debating making the recipe less "moist" so I can use less binder.

Morrkel-you're awesome! Hope you found a gym that's perfect for you.

JK-I was on the rowing machine today. Feeling your pain!!

Robert-congrats on getting through "I'm so over it" moments yesterday! So happy you're here and sharing all your wit and humor with us!

Ok guys-I was wrong. Day 26 today. But day 27 coming soon. Woot woot!

And an oddity- you'd think the food dreams would cease. Well, I had only one about toast until 2 nights ago. Then I had one about eating steak. Steak???? I haven't eaten meat in 10 years and never crave it but in this very odd dream I was scarfing it down with pleasure hoping to not get caught. If I had to have a food dream, why couldn't I be scarfing chocolate?!!!

Morning Fellow Journey Mates,

Found some cute baby eggplants on sale....wanted to do something with them.  Found this recipe online and made it...delish.  I did add more spices, didn't have the fresh and didn't have black olives on hand.  Thought I would share.

http://blogs.columbian.com/paleo-in-a-pinch/2012/08/01/eggplant-lasagna/

Still no "Tiger blood" for me...I have had a little struggle not getting on the scales these last few days...I need to see some positive results.  I have broken some bad habits...which is a plus or positive but need to "see" more than that.  Will continue after the 30 because I know it is good for me and will add back in more walking and weights...hopefully that will make a bigger impact.

Few more days...Journey on...

Ah! This group is awesome! Way to stay strong friends!

I too had an odd day, taking  a weekend course I had about 6 hours between breakfast and lunch. I was doing well, but only three hours after my lunch I was ready for dinner… I don't know if it was because I was no longer distracted by the class I was taking. Anyways, Dinner is cooking and I cannot wait. ha. 

I hope you are all having an amazing weekend! :)