Day 1 - October 21st

morkkel

Just bought all my food for the next few days! I'm super excited. My big challenge will be the fact that my husband doesn't want (or need, apparently...) to do the whole30, though he is extremely supportive of me doing it. So I have to make things that are easily tweakable for both of us for dinner, since he works out a lot and likes his hearty food haha. So for the rest of the week, I'm thinking turkey Bolognese on spaghetti squash for me, and on pasta for him, and then chili with a sweet potato for me and cornbread for him. Honestly... I think mine sound better :)

The only thing I'm actually nervous for is my coffee! I LOVE me some desserty coffee, with loads of sugar and cream. So I bought nice coffee beans and some coconut milk and I'm hoping it does the trick? Thankfully, I only drink a cup a day so I can suffer through one cup if it tastes awful haha

Can't wait to join you all tomorrow!!

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frankly, at the moment I feel a bit like a raving loon or two year old.  Depends on how you look at it!  I WANT a cookie and if I can't have my cookie, I WANT my diet soda.  How stupid can that be?  Moranic. I keep waiting for the moment to pass.  I'm not hungry.  Check.  Ive had good sleep.  Check.  Have support board.  Check (you poor people- sorry).  So why do I need the cookie.  Just cause I want it.  So the question is....what do I want more.  Ugh.  Hate cause effect stuff.

Oh and to those of you who posted that your goal is to lose "weight", one thing I have heard over and over again is that this program isn't about weight loss.  I'm with you that this would be a goal so I'm trying to see how the promoted "fat loss" will translate to winning on the scale for me.  Would love to hear what you all experience with this.

Thanks for the cookbook idea.  I'm a pescatarian so limited in that regard..but always looking for tasty ideas. 

Jess - I want to cook more as well - we got into this habit of eating out constantly, so this will probably actually save us money! 

Missy - I saw some great coffee posts - adding cinnamon or vanilla bean to the ground coffee, someone adds coconut butter then uses an emulsion blender to make it all delish and frothy! I think you'll find something you love! I love my coffee black but am super tempted to add some coconut milk cause I am addicted to it.

Greek - you don't need that stupid cookie! Don't let your food control YOU! You can do it!

I want to reach out the people whom have a not so healthy relationship with food. Congratulations on taking this journey to not just heal your body, but your mind and soul as well. I, personally come from a very conflicted relationship with food. I was a compulsive eater at a young age, the pendulum swung the opposite way in high school with anorexia that turned into bulimia. I thought I had figured it all out, and maybe I did for a little while, but I had an accident last year that I ended up needing surgery for. Experiencing post-tramatic stress syndrome brought me to my knees. Sugar absolutely was my drug and I couldn't get enough of it. 10 months ago I sought out help and today I am a viable human being (which I didn't think was possible back in January). These next 30 days are for me to put the final tweaks on what my body is sensitive to, like most of you. I am looking for that optimal health because I believe I deserve to live a happy healthy life and the only way I can ensure that is knowing the food I put in my body is the medicine I need to guarantee that. 

Also, if you haven't made any of the recipes out It Starts With Food. My, oh my you are missing out. They are delicious!!! 

Missy - Try bulletproof coffee! I usually drink mine black, but for something cozier I make this. It's delish. I have used about 1/2t ghee + 1/2t coconut oil, but today I used a spoon of thick coconut milk because I had the tin open. Blend it up (I use a Magic Bullet) and it comes out the color of coffee with cream, is foamy and smells gorgeous. I don't like coffee with coconut milk at all, but the emulsifying makes a huge difference.

How'd you ladies do? I felt pretty good, but had a hot dog dream last night, I don't know if it's whole 30 related or not, LOL! Question about pre and post workout food, I am a jogger, so going out for an easy 3 this morning. It's not high intensity, so does it really warrant the extra meals? Also- my balsamic vinegar has sulfites! I was made to find that out... so have to find a new dressing.

~Kelly

That's funny. I had a hot dog dream LAST night (Tuesday)...and I don't even like hot dogs. But I had one in my dream, by accident, and then felt guilty about it. lol 

Not sure about the pre/post workout snacks...still trying to figure that out myself. I had an hour long session at the gym this morning...it was hard, but I wasn't breathing heavy nonstop -- (had a hardboiled egg before and about 2.5oz of roasted chicken & 1/2C of berries after)...probably have breakfast about 1/2hr-1hr after that. I have no idea if this is a good or bad idea.

So, how is everyone progressing?  I had a dull, nonstop headache the very first day. I avoided any caffeine, so I'm assuming it was caffeine withdrawal. Day 2 it was a little less. Today, I don't really notice any headache. I was also kind of tired the first day, into the first half of the second. Started to feel better by end of day 2. This morning, I had a GREAT workout session, and am not feeling foggy or lethargic at all. So, I'm not sure I'm going to be following the standard timeline. I've entered *reminders* on my husband's phone calendar so he knows when to expect certain stages...but so far, it hasn't been much help. He may just have to wing it. lol. At least I gave him SOME warning, right?

I am realizing that I am probably going to have to buy/prepare double the meat just so that we have enough for leftovers. I've been stuck making *xtra* meals that I wasn't expecting, just to cover lunches. So much for my half day prep on Sunday. I have a feeling these first 2 weeks are going to involve a lot of tweaking.

Good luck everyone!

- Jen

I hear ya JK - I ate 1 hardboiled egg before my easy 3 miler, then just had breakfast instead of a pwo meal. I just don't feel like my intensity is hard enough to warrant additional meals. However, I was SO HUNGRY all day yesterday, so for breakfast I added some additional fats and proteins. Also Jen - same here, all that prep on Sunday, yet I'm still cooking every night. Tweaking is needed indeed - and I said tweak, not twerk. ;)

Jesmarie - sounds like you are now on the right track! Congrats!! It's crazy how much food can control your life. My dad always gets on my brother for smoking (which trust me, I get), yet feels justified to eat an entire pecan pie. When I question this he says "smoking can cause lung cancer." My response "heart disease is the number one killer." Anyway, all that just to say food is the biggest unregulated, legal drug there is. I've used it to procrastinate, when I was bored, for celebration, for sadness, for happiness, because it's a Tuesday, oh wait, and a wednesday, since my desk job "was so hard", etc. etc.... I'd eat in secret, downing a whole package of oreos with milk. I figured if no one could see me it'd be okay... no more, I say! We can do it!

I tried this in my coffee on day three and all I can say is YUM!! coffee, big scoop of canned pumpkin, big scoop of coconut milk, a bit of coconut oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice - blended together...much better than that overly sweet pumpkin crap from starbucks!!!

So day 3 is here and other than my hungriness yesterday, I haven't had too many "symptoms"; I am not looking this gift horse in the mouth, I fully expect some soon, but curious why some have symptoms immediately and others are more delayed.

That's funny. I had a hot dog dream LAST night (Tuesday)...and I don't even like hot dogs. But I had one in my dream, by accident, and then felt guilty about it. lol

Not sure about the pre/post workout snacks...still trying to figure that out myself. I had an hour long session at the gym this morning...it was hard, but I wasn't breathing heavy nonstop -- (had a hardboiled egg before and about 2.5oz of roasted chicken & 1/2C of berries after)...probably have breakfast about 1/2hr-1hr after that. I have no idea if this is a good or bad idea.

Your timing of postWO and meal one is fine :) swap your berries for starchy vegie carbs and you have a great postWO too!

Any ideas for coffee minus the coconut? It has a distinct taste to me and as much as I have tried, I just can't move beyond the flavor.

Day 3 has arrived. Glad to hear your all still here with me. Thanks for sharing your accomplishments too! I'm pretty miserable today. Has nothing to do with food. Yet. :) head old still and muscle aches from coughing -I think. Who knows. I admire that some of you have had the energy to take a run. I have the energy of a nat today. In fact, I've kind of erased exercise from my goals this week.

But....I'd like to pull something in from my health coaching work/ life and share with you all (in case it helps you) that today I'm committing to find the positive. Like....instead of obsessing about the Soda I "can't" drink, I'm going to think about the benefits of the "choice" I'm making not to drink it for 30 days.

Day 3 here we go!

Greek- Have you tried ghee (clarified butter)? Blended in coffee, I find it a bit hazelnut tasting. Really nice. Hope you find something you like!

Day 3! Hub got a new job! He's finally joining my gym - so excited for this! - but now we've got to work out a schedule. I usually work out pretty late due to my own schedule, but now we'll see where it fits. It's nice to hear the thoughts on pre/post meals as that's never been consistent for me, but I want to get figured out :)

Hope everyone is doing well, half way through the week already!

Hello!  I'm a day behind all of you...started on October 22nd, so this is day 2.  Glad to read that headaches are normal!

I started eating 80/20 Paleo in January, and combined with a new exercise routine, I took off about 50 pounds.  My weight loss has been stalled since July, so it's time to start fine tuning it.  Since going Paleo, my energy levels have been consistent, my skin feels great, and I realized I had been dealing with some minor stomach and inflammation issues.  I'm doing the Whole30 now because I'm too reliant on dried fruit and nutbutters...I've just replaced my old trigger foods with healthier new ones, and it's time to break that pattern.

I haven't eaten meat for more than 10 years - I do eat fish and seafood occasionally, so the biggest trouble for me is going to be getting enough protein.  Starting to eat chicken, beef, etc is just not an option.  I'll have to make due with eggs and daily fish, but it's harder to find satisfying options! My boyfriend started eating Paleo recently because he saw the positive changes it was making for me, but he won't be doing the Whole30...but he's happy to eat whatever I cook!

Day 1 is going well so far! Breakfast was HUGE, and took me a long time to finish haha, I had no clue how much 3 eggs was!! will be switching to 2 to see if that's more manageable. I decided to just take some coconut milk and heat it up, and add some cinnamon to that, and then pour in my coffee, and it was DELICIOUS! It wasn't sweet at all but it certainly was not bad like I was expecting. I'm super happy about that. I worked out for an hour and ate a delicious lunch (breakfast and lunch were fairly close together, so my workout just fit between them with a little cushion time) and now I'm just feeling "munchy"... I'm not even hungry but want to eat something, which is interesting because I didn't realize snacking would have had a strong enough hold on me that I would notice it in the first day! I'm just drinking loads of ice water with lemon, and feeling a little bit "hazy," not a headache or anything but just not quite as with-it as usual. But I'm sure in a few days I'll be feeling wonderful! Nice and motivated, especially given the fact that this morning, when I took my "before" weight and measurements, I am at my all-time highest weight and am officially overweight (sad face) and had my (very disappointing) body fat percentage taken last night... needless to say, I am very anxious to see what kind of results I get with this! The only one I am really really wanting (as much as I'd like to slim down some), is just for my stomach to not kill me every minute of the day. All in all, day 1 is going well and all my measurements have made me increasingly motivated haha

@MrsJessica -- congrats on hubs new job!

I don't know about anyone else, but I was annoyed by two things this evening, as I stood in front of the stove (again).

1. The overwhelming desire to just snack on something crunchy/salty like a cracker, or chips, or pretzels, or some spicy trailmix. So annoyed. I ignored it, but it's just annoying b/c I KNOW I wasn't hungry. It's a *habit*...I didn't realize how much of a habit it was until this evening. Looking fwd to that going away.

2. Despite my 4.5hrs prepping food on Sunday, I still have found myself at the stove EVERY night this week prepping more food. :/ I thought my planned meals would carry me a lot further than they did. Haven't really gotten many leftovers out of anything. Sunday is looking like an 8hr prep day and double the meat. Going to have to find cheap, easy options that make a lot for a little, otherwise this is going to be hard to maintain. I'm just grateful my husband will eat pretty much anything I put in front of him. My 6yo, on the hand....well, that's another story...but he's getting better.

Anyway...on a positive note, no headache today, didn't cave to cravings, and had a great workout at 6:30am (not a morning person). So I'll check this day off as a success. Hope everyone is still doing well.

@JK Congrats!!! Sounds like a good day all the way around. Considering we are day 3 not bad.

I hate mid week cooking because it takes time away from everything else. What strategies are you going to employ to help with the continual cooking?

Just finishing up my meal for the day. Day three almost done. Good success everyone for tomorrow!

Day 1 is going well so far! Breakfast was HUGE, and took me a long time to finish haha, I had no clue how much 3 eggs was!! will be switching to 2 to see if that's more manageable. I decided to just take some coconut milk and heat it up, and add some cinnamon to that, and then pour in my coffee, and it was DELICIOUS! It wasn't sweet at all but it certainly was not bad like I was expecting. I'm super happy about that. I worked out for an hour and ate a delicious lunch (breakfast and lunch were fairly close together, so my workout just fit between them with a little cushion time) and now I'm just feeling "munchy"... I'm not even hungry but want to eat something, which is interesting because I didn't realize snacking would have had a strong enough hold on me that I would notice it in the first day! I'm just drinking loads of ice water with lemon, and feeling a little bit "hazy," not a headache or anything but just not quite as with-it as usual. But I'm sure in a few days I'll be feeling wonderful! Nice and motivated, especially given the fact that this morning, when I took my "before" weight and measurements, I am at my all-time highest weight and am officially overweight (sad face) and had my (very disappointing) body fat percentage taken last night... needless to say, I am very anxious to see what kind of results I get with this! The only one I am really really wanting (as much as I'd like to slim down some), is just for my stomach to not kill me every minute of the day. All in all, day 1 is going well and all my measurements have made me increasingly motivated haha

I would keep the 3 eggs and make sure you're having vegies too! You will get used to the bigger breakfast, and it'll actually help you get through the afternoon when you may think you "need" to eat.

With your workouts, do try to have a proper postWO - make your next meal a little later! PostWO is lean protein and atarchy vegie carbs with little to no fat :)

Jk - same situation here - having to do a lot of week work in addition to my sunday prep. I hope I get better at it. And groceries are so expensive! I am also going to try to find more veggie recipes as I'm kind of stuck in a rut (that's not good for only being day 3). No major cravings, but I certainly miss my wine.

~Kelly

Day 1 was a success! I had a weird bout of hunger between lunch and dinner, and realized that it was because I didn't have a post WO meal... so I guess I'll just consider what WAS lunch my postWO meal, and then the meal I ate after that can be my lunch haha. I didn't really know what to expect and felt like I was eating so much, that I don't think I ate enough earlier since I got so hungry... also might be that I forgot how much working out makes you more hungry haha. Tomorrow I have work, so hopefully I can get a big enough breakfast to tide me through that! And then home for lunch, them workout, post WO meal, and then dinner... sheesh! haha I'm going to be such a champion at meal planning by the time my 30 days is through :)

@ Jgoodw congrats on day 3. Sorry to hear your coming down with the bug. Suffering from it myself and feel miserable today. Can't tell if the body aches are from the virus or food changes. Either way, hoping for better tomorrow.

@missy: congrats on day 1!!!! You sound like it went well for you yeah!

So what I've learned so far: I naturally slump around 3. But It's less significant with a good breakfast. I can cook one egg dish and cut servings that will last the work week for morning breakfast. I don't have to think about what I'm going to eat every two hours. Today I left the house on errands and it was one of the first days in a long time I haven't thrown a snack in my purse. What a nice treat to not having to constantly be thinking about the next filler. Finally I've learned how much freedom there is from writing down everything I eat in some calorie log.

I'm still working on the evening meal. I don't routinely eat a large meal in the evening and I don't get home from work until 7 so I'm trying to figure out how to get the meal in even if I don't feel hungry for it. Love the learning!

Happy 4th day all!

Archived