Day 1 - October 21st

morkkel

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm on Day 4 now and I've made it past my expectations already! I've battled with a lot already, it's like all that could possibly go wrong or against me has....okay maybe thats a little dramatic. The first day I woke up with some sort of crazy cold. I could barely get out of bed. Day 2 I started "that time of the month" and it's BAD. So I have a cold, am sufferin with the lady stuff, and dealing with all the cravings that come with both of those things. Yesterday I had a total meltdown and ended up getting a fight with my parents and I was bawling. Afterwards I had no idea why I was even upset in the first place. Talk about being hormonal.....sheesh! I'm trying to control myself, it's so tough!

I'm trying to break some habits I've been noticing. I'll have fruit at the end of a meal because I need a "treat", or of I'm watching TV I'll reach for fruit to snack on. If I want something sweet I'll get fruit. Okay fruit isn't bad, but the emotional reasons behind my choices are not so good. And when I tell myself, "Nicolette, you're not hungry, you just want a reward or treat or something sweet." I get all upset inside because I WANT it, and fruit isn't bad right? But then I feel bad after because I know I'm only eating it for the sugar. In "It Starts With Food" they say that your body doesn't know the difference between a snickers bar or a fruit and nut bar, it does the same thing. Agh! Bad habits are hard to break! And these aren't even the worst ones, I'm sure those will come up soon enough.

I also need to work on my sleep schedule...it's hard because I think my cortisol levels are unbalanced and I just can't fall asleep at night.

Onward and Forward! Keep up the good work everyone :)

@ Nicolette I hear your pain on the cold and lady's thing. Feel like a Mack truck hit me. But let's look on the bright side, we are too sick to miss food in the same way. That's my "living in the happy land" dream. :)

As far as your fruit to top your meal and just WANTING it, I get that too. I felt like a two year old who wanted a cookie a couple days ago. No rationale at all. But, I just read that when your craving something sweet, then you should eat protein and fat. Avoid fruit at that time. I suffer from the same mid day or post lunch "want a treat to finish my meal issues". So I'm going to give this a try. The point is to retrain our brain, which is a muscle and holds onto to its memory.

The other tip they shared was to ask yourself if you are hungry enough to eat fish and broccoli. If the answer is yes, eat something. If its no, it's likely a craving. It's a simple tool so it's easy to apply.

The question for all of us is if we'll allow our cravings control our health or if we'll slay that dragon. Minute to minute struggle for me. Ugh!

Here's rooting for success!!!

Welcome Becky! You can definitely do this! I have found the hardest part, for me, has been meal planning and prep. I need to become a bit more efficient at it. Other than that - it's been great! I know some have had quite a few symptoms, I haven't had any yet, except that I do feel more awake during the day, I had one dream about a hot dog, and I keep waking up about 4am and just laying in bed, but other than that, it's been relatively doable!

@greektome

Thanks for the encouragement :) I'm glad I'm not the only person out there right now dealing with circumstances! And I really appreciate those suggestions. I actually read that "It Starts With Food" and I subscribed to the Daily emails which coincidentally just brought those things up! But I needed your reminders while I am here at work and have to choose between the lunch I packed or the bakery next store....

I realized though today that I am really tired of being controlled by cravings, and feeling like a drug addict if I don't get it. I literally lose my mind, cry, or take it out on the nearest innocent family member. What the heck? What kind of life is that? I am done with that. This time I will actually succeed, I feel it deep down. It's only 30 days of "preparation" for my new lifestyle. I deserve so much better, we all do. Hang in there! I'm rooting you on too :)

@beckyJM

Congrats on your decision!! We are all here to support you. We're new to this lifestyle change as well, but we are so happy you joined us. Stay strong :)

@nicolette-thanks for the return encouragement. Trouble with food is it will always be there to tempt us. I like this plan because it actually talks about the mental component of food. The fact that they said no to pancakes-even healthy version because it trips the cravings makes total sense and puts the focus where it needs to be. Soooo...good strength to all of us. One cookie temptation at a time!

@nicolette-thanks for the return encouragement. Trouble with food is it will always be there to tempt us. I like this plan because it actually talks about the mental component of food. The fact that they said no to pancakes-even healthy version because it trips the cravings makes total sense and puts the focus where it needs to be. Soooo...good strength to all of us. One cookie temptation at a time!

"The food will always be there to tempt us".....remember "the food will always be there". You may "want" these foods, but you don't need them and really, you can have them anytime you like. To me, generic commercial stuff doesn't put a blip on my craving radar as I know they aren't special or worth it, and they won't actually satisfy me. Send me to Paris and waft the worlds most amazing fresh croissant or macaron under my nose and that would be a different story!

I rarely crave junk, but if I do, I talk myself out of it as I know I'd rather feel good! The few occasions I've had something, I don't feel so great, didn't enjoy it as much as I imagined and wonder why I bothered!

It is hard the first few days, or even weeks but it does get easier. The more you nourish your body with good food, the less it wants the other stuff. It has taken me a long time to get to a point where I can easily say no to just about anything!

Thanks Amber. Trouble is, it starts with one cookie, and the rain goes right into that all or nothing mode. Then you start down the path of feeling like you "need" things that justmakeyou feel like yuck.

I'd love tone at the point where it's easy to say no. Programs like this are great to kick start the effort and 30 days is doable. It's the "after" that becomes the challenge. Hope that makes sense!

Thanks Amber. Trouble is, it starts with one cookie, and the rain goes right into that all or nothing mode. Then you start down the path of feeling like you "need" things that justmakeyou feel like yuck.

I'd love tone at the point where it's easy to say no. Programs like this are great to kick start the effort and 30 days is doable. It's the "after" that becomes the challenge. Hope that makes sense!

But why do you need one cookie? Is it a special cookie your grandma makes once a year? Or is it something you could have any day? Is the cookie going to give you super powers?

Is it going to make you feel better...or is it really an evil cookie that tempts you with its sweetness, then tells you you need to eat it and 10 of its friends, gives you a sugar high followed by a monstrous crash, makes you feel like rubbish for hours after then makes you feel guilty because you didn't really want to eat it in the first place?

Well, a little of both but mostly the latter and so true. But, that whole principle is the psychology behind eating. Mind over matter. Now carrying that forward is where the true work begins. This Whole 30 is a base foundation. The key to long term success will be to make this foundation solid as a rock, despite the impending earthquake that's bound to happen.

Fate would have it the week I start cracking down on my food, everything is a let's do a luncheon or happy hour or dinner... I have managed to respectfully decline a few less important or turn them into coffee dates with some friends but the business ones... everyone wants to do business over food and beverages! I did participate in last nights dinner with steak (hold the glaze) and roasted cauliflower but today I decided to pull a quick one and I ate lunch at home before hand and then headed to the business lunch and had some lovely tea while everyone else gorged themselves. I felt rather proud of myself, instead of getting overwhelmed with wanting to do this well and trying to appease everyone else. I found a solution and this is why I enjoy Whole30. Every problem has a solution. 

Nice job Jesmarie! You are so right, everything is done over food. I remember growing  up and eating out was a treat - now it's common place. I have the same thing at work - today we have to go out of town as a group and they all want to stop for lunch - bringing mine with...I know we can do this! You are right, I always try to appease everyone else, when in reality, they usually don't care as much as I think they do.

Day 5 and my hubs' birthday. I have ignored the candy corn, the pumpkin roll that my boss set up across from my desk, the birthday pumpkin pie that my husband requested for his birthday, and several treats. Even the onslaught of "Fall Treat" recipes that have inundated my Pinterest feed this week haven't brought me down. Tomorrow night I'll have to deal with my mother questioning this "diet" (is what she'll call it) and trying to push food on me the entire night...that will be fun, as usual. I just have to remind myself that my health is my life and my happiness, and more important than whether or not she understands or approves. Thankfully, my husband and son will be with me and they are both very supportive. My son even asked me the other day if something had dairy in it and if I could have it. He's 6.5 and he's still watching out for me. ^_^

Anyway...sugar cravings are getting a little less. Still struggling a bit to eat the bigger meals in order to avoid the snacking, but it's getting easier. I've definitely noticed when my meal is light on "fat"...always get hungry quicker. I'm making a concerted effort to make sure I always have enough fat in my meal, even if it's as simple as adding a drizzle of olive oil, or maybe a couple tablespoons of coconut milk to something. I've also been religious with going to bed on time and at the same time each night. Still not sleeping through the night, but I feel a little better during the day and my workouts have been really good these past few days.

@GreektoMe & Kelly -- with regard to meal planning...I think it's just going to take practice. I learned some things this week (double up on meat) and I'm going to try to make as many casserole and crockpot meals as I can so that I can divide them into individual meals that are easy to grab & go throughout the week. The double meat should help with leaving leftovers. I also just picked up the Well Fed cookbook and there are several recipes in there (& tips) that I think will help a lot. It's all about PLANNING ahead. Invest enough time ahead of time, and it should be easier the rest of the week (I hope). lol

@Nicollete - I think my cortisol may be off to...I'm a little stress bucket and never put much attention into sleeping regularly. I fall asleep fine, but I always wake up at least once a night. For awhile, I would wake up and then struggle to fall back asleep. At least now I fall back asleep right away. It's getting better. Keep up the fight!!

Welcome to all the new additions...

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

- Jen

Btw - Does it take anyone else a good 45 minutes to eat their main meals (not pre or post WO)?? Or am I just a REALLY slow eater? Seriously, in order to eat enough at one meal, I have to take my time. Hope that's okay.

I usually try to eat relatively quicker than that because I've learned if I take too long to eat something I get sidetracked and just don't seem to finish it. However, if you eat slower you will realize when you are full and should stop.

Morkkel,

I agree!! Eating out was a special occasion (mostly birthday's and my parents anniversary). Now days it's a special occasion to have a home cooked meal... Yikes! Have an amazing outing with your co-workers and enjoy your homemade lunch! Day 5 will find us steadfast! 

Is the cookie going to give you super powers?

First, if anyone does find these cookies, pass 'em this way... ;)

End of the week already! So far, so good. I'm already finding myself thirsty for straight water, which is great because usually given a choice, give me coffee or tea any day :) I'm also not as nervous about going to restaurants this time around. We went out to celebrate hubs' new job and I successfully pursue the menu and ordered a lovely meal without looking like a crazy lady :) And I agree, no one even noticed that I asked a few questions about what was in/not in a dish.

Great job on passing up the pumpkin-related treats. I'm incredibly glad I haven't had to face those yet! I normally don't like pie or dessert-type breads, but pumpkin is another story... ;) Thankfully pumpkin curry is equally delish!

@jen. Good strength today! Funny, the post from whole 30 was all about the peer pressure and eating out. Timely.

As a chuckle, meeting a friend for lunch today. At one of Seattles 'healthiest' eateries and there is NOTHING I can eat that's compliant with the whole 30. Believe me when I say Seattle is the capital for "health food junkies". This place not only is no GMO, 100% organic, etc but they also have a book of ingredients for each of their menu items right at the counter -and NOTHING is compliant. Water for me today. :)

@jen. Good strength today! Funny, the post from whole 30 was all about the peer pressure and eating out. Timely.

As a chuckle, meeting a friend for lunch today. At one of Seattles 'healthiest' eateries and there is NOTHING I can eat that's compliant with the whole 30. Believe me when I say Seattle is the capital for "health food junkies". This place not only is no GMO, 100% organic, etc but they also have a book of ingredients for each of their menu items right at the counter -and NOTHING is compliant. Water for me today. :)

Where did you go? I eat out regularly in the Seattle area and while nothing I've found is perfect I find ways to stay compliant most of the time. There is a Paleo food track in the area that I keep meaning to track down one of these days.

Archived