Day 1 - October 21st

morkkel

Sorry to hear Jesmarie. I want to commend you for your honesty and putting it out here. The question I have for you is this: what was the best thing about your day today? What was the most amazing thing you learned for yourself?

I'm rooting for you and am so impressed by your motivation. I hope you'll keep forging ahead with us!

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Greek for the lesson!  When you work on different devices...and they all work a little differently...I sometimes forget what the arrows do...lol.  Most times I get too impatient when I push the back arrow key to get the keyboard off the screen...twice and its gone bye bye.

Jesmarie...sorry about your bad day with candy...working two jobs is tough.  But sounds like you are back on track and quickly at that...you have picked yourself back up and dusted off...you have written and  posted your goals in the perfect places to catch yourself...you can do this.  It doesn't matter what day you are on...you are still on this journey with us.   :)

@Robert...I actually worked at Disney (college program)...but that was WAAAAY back when, and I can't recall either their "bring food in" policy...plus it's safe to assume they have far more menu options to pick from now than they did 13+ years ago. Beef jerky, some berries & a few nuts, and maybe a meat or tuna muffin/cakes if you can sneak it in. And plenty of water. Based on your party foray, you're a pretty creative guy. I don't doubt you'll survive Disney unscathed. ;)

@Travelin Texan -- wine country sounds awesome! Keep yourself busy taking lots of photos...and buy a few bottles to enjoy later!

@GreektoMe -- ohhhh...please hang in there. On the plus side, perhaps everything is hitting you all at once, rather than dragging it out over a week (like bloating 1 day, then acne the next, etc.) Right??? <sheepish grin> Seriously...stick with it. Keep chugging your water and take deep breaths. Maybe take some short walks in the fresh air...DESTRESS. If you're stressed, that is NOT going to help you. You need to be relaxed and go with the flow. TRUST THE JOURNEY! Sending positive vibes your way...

@Jesmarie -- I'm with Greek...high five for being honest!!  Minor setback, really. You were 9 days in...consider it your *trial period*. Now that you've warmed up, kick it into high gear and really commit b/c now you've SEEN the effects that the good and the bad have on you. You really CAN do this. You're WORTH doing this. Have faith. You've never actually failed unless you outright quit...which you're not doing. ;)  So hang with us and enjoy the ride!! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! (can anyone tell I had a 6am workout today?? lol)

Ok. So. My arms feel like jelly this morning. lol. SOOO many DB presses, rows, ski machine, wall balls...oy. It was fun, though.Yes, I said fun. I walk in to the gym like a zombie, but 2 hours later I always feel like a race car at the gate. Such a good feeling. And a bonus from exercising is that I always crave healthier foods after I exercise. When I don't exercise, I crave junk. Not sure if there's a medical explanation for that, but it's been consistant over the years. So, like Robert said...if you feel inclined AT ALL to move, do it. It will actually probably help with the food end of things.

I did want to share one more thing that was positive. I've been going to physical therapy over the last several months to correct a "double-harmonic S curve" in my cervical spine. Anyway, I'm down to 1 session per week now and the dr. that usually adjusts me yesterday and asked if I had started doing anything different in the last week or so. I mentioned that I started Whole30 about a week ago and he said that he noticed a distinct difference in the muscles of my back & neck...that they were more "pliable & easy to manipulate". He also mentioned the whites of my eyes were looking brighter & clearer. And I even noticed when he adjusted me that this was the first time that there wasn't a lot of movement or *cracking* this time (for the first time ever). So, YAY! Maybe I'm finally eliminating all of the inflammation that my body has been suffering from and it's finally reaching a point where it can accept the treatment I've been receiving and REALLY start to heal!!

So, seriously people....DON'T GIVE UP!!! Hang in there. I may or may not have lost any weight, but there are definitely improvements being made and people are starting to notice.

HAPPY DAY 10 (& Day 1) ;)  EVERYBODY! Go kick some Whole30 Booty!!

Oh Mercy JK. You did work out this a. m. didn't you. :). I admire your energy and enthusiasm. And what an awesome observation of your results so far. Amazing! AND thanks for the pep talk too. The good news is that I have all this prepared food which makes it easier to stay the course. If I were not prepared, I'd be more likely to cave.

As far as my testing back to workouts, I actually love working out. But honestly, I haven't had this bad of cold in ages. Totally wiped me out. Last night was the first night I felt comfortable doing some Slobody in a few weeks. Felt good but didn't last long. It'll come back. I'm just listening to my body and pacing for stamina.

So onto day #10 everyone. Make it awesome because you are! So glad to be here with you!

Robert - I echo what Greek says, I always feel like I overeat cause I convince myself "I'll NEVER have corndogs like these again, etc. etc." When in reality, the food will always be there. Maybe make a mantra that you can chant to yourself when you start heading toward the mini doughnut station? Sneak in homemade trail mix. Eat a huge breakfast before you go. If they say you can't bring in food, tell them you have a condition where you need it or something - whole30-itis...whatever. I don't know if they check too much in depth anyway. You can do this!!

Greek - have you posted your weight question out on the main forum? I am curious if other people have had your experience - throw it out as a new topic, you may get some great response. I say trust the process, but also know this process may not work for every body. See what others experiences have been, give it an honest try for 30 days, and if you don't see improvement, maybe there's something else your body is reacting too. 

Jes - sorry about the emotional situations you've been having. I don't think you should start from day 1 - stick on day 10 but do the whole 39 or whole 40! Then you'll be an overachiever! Maybe it's just how I think of things in my head. If you get a craving again, just remember how you felt - swollen, allergies, guilt, etc. You can do this!! We are here to give you tough love, or hugs - whatever type of motivation you work best from!

I had a bread dream last night. There was a tornado coming to the facility I work at, I was telling everyone to take shelter and I was eating lots and lots of white bread. I felt guilty in the dream and was mad I would have to start the whole 30 again, so I thought if I didn't tell anyone, I could just keep going, but know that there was too much white bread to not affect me adversely. Phew, crazy dream! Now I want bread. Oh well!

Also, in all my emotional mess of situations lately, I've started a new addiction and don't know how to stop it. Coconut butter and coconut milk. I'll break the coconut butter off like a piece of chocolate and eat it after meals, before meals, in between meals... or I'll have a spoonful of coconut milk. It's replaced dessert for me - which is bad, cause my brain is still associating, right?? 

@morrkel. I love your bread dream. That is hysterical in a not so funny kind of way. Lol.

Ewwww on the coconut addiction. I guess if its "legal" and doesn't grieve you, then why not???

Oh and yes I did post out on the general boards. Had some good feedback. Basically to stick with it and tweak a couple thing. Everyone is very helpful!

Ok, had a find last night I wanted to share. Maybe you all already know about it. I'm having trouble getting creative with my fats. Odd I know but man cannot live in avocado alone. :). Here's the website I found. Oh and not all are 100% compliant as its Paleo not whole 30, otherwise Enjoy!!!

Paleo/Primal Salad Dressings, Pesto, Mayonnaise and Sauces ...

www.paleofood.com/dressing.htm

63 paleo/primal recipes for Salad Dressings Mayonnaise. Grouped into Tomato- Based and ...

‎Dressings: Olive Oil Based ... - ‎Dressings: Fruit Based - ‎Dressings: Tomato Based

Everyone here is amazing, thank you for being so supportive and giving me the right amount of empathy and tough love. I'm putting yesterday behind me and forgiving myself though not forgetting the things I learned.

And in response to GreektoMe I got to hang out with two amazing kids (second job is nannying) even though they are trying sometimes they can also make me laugh and melt my heart, and I went out and had a whole30 compliant meal with two girlfriends, even after my slip. So yesterday, though not my most shining moment wasn't as bad as I made it out to be in my head (I'm a really good story teller sometimes). 

JKStarcher, your enthusiasm this morning has me a little envious. I haven't been going to my morning workouts and I miss them and the feeling you were describing. Looks like tomorrow morning I'm getting back at it because I am worth it ;)

Morrkel… step away from the coconut milk and butter, slippery slope my friend! As I learned yesterday, the rules are the rules for a reason. I don't know if any of you get the emails and then read the attachments throughout the emails like i do… ha but there are a lot of really good articles that help explain why things are the way they are. 

Thank you, Travelin Texan and everyone else for keeping me included. I couldn't have asked for a better group of people to on this journey with. 

Have a beautiful day 10 lovelies!

@Jesmarie -- We are all one M&M away from your small bump in the road.  We have all been there. This isn't easy right now.  On the other hand, we are not training for the Olympics.  We are all learning a bit more about healthy choices, discipline, setbacks, forward progress.  So Jesmarie, thanks for sharing fair warning to us all that tasty treats will be in abundance over the next several days.  And I expect you to be there when I or others have our very own "I need to come clean" moment.

When I read your post I thought, "Oh nooo, when I walk through the door this evening, my house is going to be filled with Halloween candy."  I need a plan!!  Here it is.  Starting right now, my Halloween plan is to "supersize" my veggie and water consumption today, tomorrow, and the day after.  I am going to be so full of broccoli and water by this afternoon, that the thought of putting anything more in my mouth will make me want to hurl.  And I'll keep an apple and some carrot sticks on my person at all times during the trick or treat circuit with the kids tomorrow.

Thanks to all for tips for Whole30ing my day trip to Disneyland.  I am going to do some research.  My current plan is to fill up on breakfast outside the park and then duct tape a bag of carrots, a steak, a bag of cashews, and a some Larabars to my son's back and hope he makes it through the Disneyland security pat down.  I hope to come up with a better plan by next week.

Two things:

1) Just wanted to say that I think this is a great group of people we have here and I love stopping in to see how everyone is doing. It's been a great place to check in for a reality check and support, and to support others.

2) Saw this quote on FB just now and wanted to share:

"REMEMBER THAT THE MOST DIFFICULT TASKS ARE CONSUMMATED, NOT BY A SINGLE EXPLOSIVE BURST OF ENERGY OR EFFORT, BUT BY THE CONSTANT DAILY APPLICATION OF THE BEST YOU HAVE WITHIN YOU (at any given moment)." -- Og Mandino

*I added "(at any given moment)" b/c we all have to deal with things that make our lives a little more topsy-turvy than we are accustomed to. At those times, our best may not seem as good as before, but it's our best in that moment. For instance, @GreektoMe fighting a cold and knowing that the "best" of her right now is resting & letting her body heal...not beating it up with a workout! ;)

Take care everyone!

Three cheers to JK!  I will follow JK's lead and share another motivational quote:

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."  Theodore Roosevelt

Hey Lacey - in what ways are you feeling like crap? Excessively tired? Constantly cranky? Super bloated? If you have specific health symptoms, are they flaring up?

The one thing I've noticed about this group is that we're all kind on our own schedule and dealing with similar issues, but at differen times. For instance, I started my 1st day with a 24hr headache. Then it gradually went away, I was drained for a day or two and then fine. The next evening I got REALLY cranky. Then 2 nights in a row, my hives flared up really bad...now I haven't had any for more than a day & today I was supercharged. Others started fine, but got headaches further into the week. Others are drained today.

Are you confident you're eating enough? I still struggle some days with eating enough in one sitting because I'm so used to eating smaller meals & snacking between. I also notice when my meal is light on fat because I end up getting hungry sooner.

If you can provide more details maybe someone here will have some helpful advice.

Hang in there!

Evening all.  Just getting in and catching up for the night. Let's see....

@Jesmarie. Kids are THE BEST.  I work in pediatrics and often say to people the best thing about my job is that even on the worst day I have, they make me laugh.  I'm grateful that despite the *moment* (and that's all it was) of meltdown you had, you had something in your day that made you smile and to be grateful for.

@ RobertAZ, love the quote and the back up plan of strapping food to your child.  LOL.  :ph34r: See exactly how covert you can make carrots and Larabars be! 

@JKStarcher, I totally agree.  It's been great to share with you all and I get excited to hear how things are going for everyone.  I'm learning tips and tricks from you, but I'm also hearing my struggles mirrored back.  Power in numbers.  Even more power in supportive numbers. And THANK YOU for saying that about taking time out to heal my body.  I have been feeling absolutely guilty all week that I have done nothing...but I just haven't felt well enough.  I know that I sound like a weeny....it's just a cold.  But I promise you this is the worst cold I've had in years.  I've managed to share with family.  They can attest to the horridness of it.  At any rate, I'm grateful for your support because it gives me permission to do what I know is right but have been feeling guilty about.  And finally...I love the quote!!!

@Lacey, WELCOME!  It's so nice to have you join in.  JK said it best so I won't bother to repeat other than to say, please share more info so we can support you.

OK gang...it's the close of day 10 right?  Had and actual return to human day today.  Wanted to recap where I'm at with this whole 30 discovery/learning process for the day.

Had a moment when I was at the counter of Office Depot that I wanted to buy a pack of gum.  REALLY wanted that gum.  Then I debated....sugar free....no can't have that.....with sugar...no can't have that.  What's left?  NO GUM.  UGH!.  So then I had to have *the talk*.  You know the one.  "Why do you want this?  What are you really wanting?  Are you hungry enough to eat fish and broccoli?"  What I realized after my Q & A session was that all I really wanted was to chew.  No special reason.  Just wanted something in my mouth that I could chew on.  Not crunchy....Hate crunchy....but chewy.  Like licorice/gum chewy.  I came to the realization that this is a feeling that I'm going to have to find a substitute for because it's a biggy. 

Other than this...no food cravings.  In fact, I'm genuinely thrilled that I have to focus only on three meals and that I don't have to have a ton of food in my purse.  Such an oddity for me.  It's freeing in a way I hadn't realized.  But the amount of food I'm packing these days..eeesh. A little embarrassing.

Another discovery.  Last week when I went grocery shopping I was a bit unsettled about the cost of groceries.  I re-committed (mentally) to the month saying "if it turns out to be more expensive, I'll just resign after the 30 days as lesson learned".  BUT...what I didn't calculate in was all the money I was SAVING by not buying snacks and sodas during the week.  So, in the long run, the expenditure is actually equal.  Not cheaper, not more expensive.  Equal. Great. Thrilled and then some!!!

I can't say that I have bounding energy yet.  The shorter days do make it harder to bound out of bed in general.  But I can say that I have constant energy.  I'm either tired all day, or I'm "on" all day.  No ups and downs.

I have observed that I am simply not hungry in between meals.  AWESOME! 

What else....hmmmm....well...I may...just may be not as bloated as I felt yesterday.  Don't want to celebrate too soon but definitely feeling less blowfish ish today. 

OK gang.  So great to hear from you all.  Have a lovely day 11 tomorrow!

Day 11 already! Good morning everyone and welcome Lacey! 

Let's see - I receive the email messages they sent and todays was about exercise. I definitely need to get more of that in! I went for a jog yesterday and felt exhausted so I think I just need to push on. I am the same as Greek - no ups, no downs, not boundless energy. I wish I could get my focus a bit better. What improvements have you all seen? 

I went and bought halloween treats for the trick or treators tonight - I don't even care to eat them, last year I'm sure I would've torn into the bag by now...yet their they sit, still packaged on my table. Anyway - have a wonderful day 11!

Day 11 already! Good morning everyone and welcome Lacey!

Let's see - I receive the email messages they sent and todays was about exercise. I definitely need to get more of that in! I went for a jog yesterday and felt exhausted so I think I just need to push on. I am the same as Greek - no ups, no downs, not boundless energy. I wish I could get my focus a bit better. What improvements have you all seen?

I went and bought halloween treats for the trick or treators tonight - I don't even care to eat them, last year I'm sure I would've torn into the bag by now...yet their they sit, still packaged on my table. Anyway - have a wonderful day 11!

Morkkel, have you read the timeline?

http://www.whole9life.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Day 11 is still part of "the hardest days", so hang In there!

@GreektoMe -- Glad to support. Personally, I have always been harder on myself, as a mom and a woman...I think I should ALWAYS be "on" and able to handle whatever. If anyone else is down for the count, it's ok. Me? Unacceptable. I learned a hard lesson last year (December) when I kept going, going, going...training 6-7 days/week, working full time, taking a large part of the responsibilities at home to care for my son & husband, etc....ended up with a month long, chronic cough that left me with strained/torn intercostal muscles on the right side of my ribs. It stopped me in my tracks...no training until APRIL.It was an AGONIZINGLY slowwwww healing process. Couldn't even lift my son up until the end of February. Honestly, it was more mentally/emotionally challenging than anything. I hadn't been listening to my body's little signs, so it basically decided to bitchslap me to make me stop & listen. It's good that you're in tune with your body. No need to feel guilty for not exercising when you're sick. Now, if you're perfectly healthy, sitting on the couch and eating bon bons while watching Biggest Loser...I'll lay the verbal smackdown on ya! :P

I've also had mini talks with myself re: the desire to have something...and it came down to the same thing. It wasn't the THING I wanted so much as it was just wanting to be eating something...usually right after work when I got home and dinner wasn't quite ready yet...that was my random snack time. Grab & eat. I'm definitely seeing some habits being broken.  And yes to the cost issue. My two first grocery trips have actually been pretty high, but I'm reminding myself that I've also had to purchase some upfront stock up items for the pantry that I'll be using repeatedly. That adds to the normal cost of weekly groceries...I'm hoping to see the cost decrease as the weeks go on and my pantry is fully stocked. And our "snacks" were our frequent dining out. So, when you take that cost away, it does start to help balance things. I was notorious for stopping at Starbucks on the way in to work, grabbing a coffee (or Skinny Vanilla Latte when I wanted something sweeter) and one of their reduced fat turkey bacon sandwiches. It was getting habitual...not to mention EXPENSIVE. I am not sorry to see that habit go. I suspect as we all get closer to the 30th day, we will all be well-oiled machines when it comes to grocery shopping & food prep.

Anyway...still feeling pretty good. Not amped up like yesterday, but no morning workout today. Going to be a long day and heading straight from work to get my son & hubs and then drive 45 minutes to meet up with friends for trick-or-treating. Not entirely sure yet what I'm going to do about dinner as I didn't think to pack my dinner and bring with me to work. I should be okay for breakfast & lunch, though. I just don't think there will be time to nuke anything to eat before we leave. I might be able to mix up some hardboiled eggs & mashed avocado and just eat out of the bowl as my husband drives. lol.

Alright...let Day 11 be a GREAT day for everyone. Even if it's not the greatest day for you, there  is SOME positive in there somewhere. FIND it, and focus on it! YOUR POTENTIAL REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION TODAY! :D

Hey Lacey...welcome to this journey.  So glad Amberino21 gave the link to the timeline...it should help to see what is "normal" for you/us to be experiencing.

So far I just had headaches the first two days...but only one headache since then that was barely noticeable.  I had a food dreams 2 nts ago...BLC sandwiches...bacon, lettuce and CHEESE....yummm...but so bad.  :(   I love cheese!!....all kinds!!...and you know what goes with it...Wine!

I feel some better...but not real big difference...but I didn't have any real issues before either.

I am so ready for the time change this Sunday.  I haven't been able to go to sleep the last 3-4 nts until 11:30-1am and then sleeping till 8:00- 9:30...that is really messing with my breakfast time.  Before coffee was my breakfast and I am having to "learn" to eat in the mornings instead...lol.

Let's all enjoy and savor...the little ones laughter and excitement of this night...their cute costumes...their joy of being a child...instead of candy.  Feelings... not Food.   Happy Halloween to all.

Lacey -- Welcome to our group!

JK - I have a similar day ... busy day at work and then right into the trick or treat mayhem when I get home.  In addition to my lunch I brought 4 large carrots and a hard-boiled egg to work.  My plan is to start hammering those carrots and egg down before I get home.  I will have a full belly trick or treating but will have an apple and Larabar on my person in case I start getting a bit too interested in my kids' candy bags.

Morkkel -- The first few days were rough for me.  Headache and general crummy feeling.  But I knew that was coming so I happily tolerated this discomfort knowing that things were going as planned.  The next several days I felt like I was in a fog -- I had a hard time maintaining focus.  Then over the weekend fatigue and bloatiness set in.  I moved in slow tired motion.  Starting around day 8/9 the fog and fatigue lifted.  Today I feel like I have turned the corner -- definitely feel like a layer of narwhal chub has been stripped, my head is clear, and random cravings have dissipated.  I have maintained active workouts throughout the process which I sense has helped significantly.

TTexan -- bacon, cheese, wine.  Yummy dream.  :D

Even though I feel like I have turned the corner, I need to be ever diligent and remain focused on the end game.  We are in a tricky zone right now.  The challenges will come for me on good days (I feel great and I need to celebrate) or bad days (I feel terrible and I need something to lean on).  Much of this journey is recognizing that with 100% certainty we are all going to be blind-sided with emotions and events (big or small) over the next 3 weeks that will send us reaching in the wrong direction.  I know these feelings are coming for me and that I need to be prepared to deal with them in a constructive healthy way.

One thing I have noticed is that what I will call food fatigue is starting to set in for me.  I am trying to mix things up as much as possible but a chef I am not.  In any event, I plan to move forward being as creative as possible.  I know that the long term reward of completing this process (and maintaining what I have learned post 30) will far outweigh any temporary discomfort of a bit of food fatigue.

BE STRONG EVERYONE!!  We are almost to ... Day 12!!  (I like that the countdown days are now in the teens instead of the twenties).   :)

So one of my temperance goals was to not get on Facebook or pinterest on my phone for the duration of this. I've deleted the apps and everything, I really want to detach from my phone and be in present time. And it's working I love that i'm not checking out that way and actually using my phone as a phone. All that being said, I am finding myself avoiding Facebook all together and jumping on here for peoples updates instead… Just feeling the love and wanted to share with all you fabulous people. Welcome Lacey! You've picked a great group to finish this out with!

Happy Day 11 and Happy Halloween! 

Good luck to those who will be dealing with the trick or treating scene. I will be at my dance studio all day cleaning routines for our recital tomorrow and volunteered to stay late (so i don't feel obligated to buy a bag to give to the kids that may or may not come and have the rest sitting in my house…) Day 1.2 went well, I successfully had a second whole30 compliant meal in between rehearsals with the girls I dance with last night and I wasn't the only one at the table with food questions or issues with it. It was nice to have someone to connect with and chat about allergies and what not. For once I wasn't the only "crazy health nut" at the table!

Travelin Texan I like your take on this evening, do enjoy the children being children, that's the magic of the holidays

Hello Everyone!! anybody noticed any changes in their body? I do experience the cravings, but try to focus on the positive of the whole30;

My nails and eyelashes are growing like never before and feeling so happy! Already thinking about Paleo for life :)

Enjoying eating TOMATOES like fruits!!lol!

Hi Zeliya!  I've noticed my chronic, systemic hives have been pretty dormant the last couple days. And my chiropractor said that the whites of my eyes were brighter/whiter, and the muscles in my back/neck were more pliable; that my adjustment was much easier. I haven't noticed my clothes fitting any tighter or looser, or any difference in my hair or nails yet, though. My skin (acne) *might* be showing signs of clearing up, but I'm withholding judgement on that until next month. I feel like I've been sleeping a little better, though. And for someone that used to sleep so lightly that I easily woke twice a night to go to the bathroom, and then wake every time I THOUGHT I heard my son crying, it's nice to only wake once...and then fall right back asleep with no trouble. I have made a concerted effort to get to bed at the same time EVERY night, though...I think that's helping.

Robert -- I NEVER used to cook (unless you count "pizza toast"...ie. a piece of bread, slathered with spaghetti sauce and topped with cheese thrown in the toaster oven. Yeah. I did that.) I just started branching out last year, and I can say with confidence that I'm not a horrible chef. I've actually "winged" it a couple times in the last few months and come up with some pretty good grub. So, keep practicing...it does get easier. I don't attempt anything fancy yet, but I've been building a pretty nice arsenal of go to recipes. ;) I actually kind of enjoy it (most of the time) now. Amusingly, my husband actually made the following comment today:

"You are setting a precedence you know? There is no going back to crap meals from this day forth." LOL. Shoot! :blink:

JK - Thanks for the cooking encouragement.

Funny spouse story, last night at dinner my beautiful wife (an excellent cook with a clean diet -- no gluten, no dairy etc.) asked if I had been craving anything in particular.  The conversation progressed nicely and then I blurted out, "You know, you eat alot of chips" (which she doesn't).  Whoa, where did that come from?!  As the words were leaving my mouth I thought oops!  Look at me Mr. Hotshot Judgmental Clean Living Guy for uhm, what is it ... 9 days ... and now I am the expert on my wife's chip consumption!  I quickly made a joke out of it but, wow, I kind of lost my mind there for about 3 seconds.  :D  

Archived