Day 1 - October 21st

morkkel

I had a dream last night that I was in a restaurant after closing and I was going around to the uncleared tables nibbling on pieces of pizza crust and garlic bread and then I would spit it out.  Pretty funny.  I chose to eat garbage in my dream?  Any psychologists in the group?  In any event, I am feeling great today!  Go everyone!!

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​JK- Hang in there! Two more weeks and I bet you'll be feeling pretty dang magical. The fact that you have reprieve from your hives is a pretty awesome feat in itself! Though I do understand not having a good nights rest can throw you off a little bit, try to be gentle with yourself. I absolutely love the quote you have as your signature and I would encourage you to not forget to read it as well.

Robert- I'm no psychologist but that is hysterical!! I think you'll do just fine at Disneyland!

I need to check in, since my slip last Tuesday i've been great! I've been out to dinner several times and been 100% "that paleo person" asking a million questions about the food they are about to bring me. However, we're back to Tuesday (the day I nanny) and i'm a nervous wreck. I have breakfast cooking (and a large one at that). My lunch is packed. I'm trying not to make their kitchen the boogie man in my mind. The fact is I live alone, I don't have food I can't/won't eat in my studio apartment. Having those foods excessively around me at my job freaks me out, which is silly because they aren't even foods that I want and if they are put in a different setting I could careless about them (i.e. the halloween party I attended on Saturday). I'm doing my best to get in a better mind set before I arrive. 

I hope you all have a wonderful tuesday!!

JM - The Slip.  I get the daily Whole30 email and this is what HQ says about a sugar slip ... "If you accidentally ingested something with added sugar ... it's less important to start over. Added sugar isn't going to disrupt the healing process nearly as much as the other stuff.  In summary, regardless of our recommendation to complete 30 straight days of 100% Whole30, this question is always up to you. Think about your goals, and what you hoped to get out of this program, and decide for yourself whether you need to start over, or treat it as a lesson learned and keep right on truckin'."

Fruit has sugar.  (Emergency compliant) Larabars have sugar.  Candy has sugar.  

If one of us goes face first into a slice of pizza and a glass of Cabernet, restart.  An "accidental" slip with a bit of sugar can be a "lesson learned" and you keep on truckin' if it is in line with your goals.

It is fantastic that you opted to "keep right on truckin'!!"  :)

Thanks for the reminder JM. I am fairly talented at doling out motivation & great quotes to others. <sheepish grin> Not always the best at following it myself. ;) Going to keep plugging along...

Robert - I've had a few funny dreams too. One was about hot dogs (which I don't even like). But I ate one in my dream and then felt the guilt & panic. You would think I'd dream about something that I was actually missing (like pastries, bread & butter, etc.). Our brains are weird.

Anyway...I never posted my goals for the week. I didn't really have any. But since I haven't been getting to bed exactly at 9 like I had started at the beginning, I am thinking that might be affecting my energy & boredom a bit. I'm also fighting the urge to work out 5-6 days a week. I have a tendency to start feeling better at the gym and then I don't take breaks like I should. So, two focuses this week:

1. Lights out/Head to pillow nlt 9:30pm

2. No workout today or Friday. Permission to workout Mon-Wed-Thur-Sat. And on those 4 days, I get to go hard.

P.S. - I wholeheartedly agree with Robert re: "The Slip". You're doing great, Jes...those foods at your work place have no power over you. They're junk. You're worth more than what they offer you.

Robert - I love your dream.  Better yet.  I love your analogy of your dream.  That was my best chuckle yet today. 

Jes - I get what you're saying.  I came into work today...been surrounded by Candy since Halloween and it hasn't bothered me because I just don't eat it.  But then at work today - the "VAT" just sitting there....calling me.  I kind of feel like its the sugar dragon nipping at my heels trying to say that I need to eat it I need to eat it.  But I don't want it and I'm not hungry for fish or broccoli so I'll disregard :)

JK - Loads of thoughts on over training.  Think Paleo..check out EPLife (I think).com and see what they say about training frequency.  Otherwise it may be doing more harm than good.  ;)

Happy day 16 all!

Robert...We call those "pizza bones" and I really like dem bones...lol.

JK...I'm not feeling it either.  I haven't had any strong issues either...Just a few small headaches in beginning and a few the last few days from not eating enough from lack of appetite.  I also don't think I have lost much...if any really...hoping it will start showing...cause if I gave up wine for nothing...you ALL will hear me Roar...no matter what state you're in.  Lol. It wasn't my sole purpose of doing this but I was hoping for it as a "side effect" ...at least.   :D   We shall see....

Jesmarie...you got this...keep on keepin on...your slip is in the past!

JK - I train consistently 4 days a week.  My sense is that our training regimes are fairly comparable.  I have found that if I add a day things can go sideways in short order.  I might go for a light jog or walkabout on off days but I stay away from the kettlebells, med balls, and barbells etc. to recover.  Enjoy your rest days (believe me I know it is hard to do sometimes).

OK gang, enough talk about Halloween candy!  Let's talk about (compliant) Thanksgiving turkey!!  Ha ha.  ;)

Bring on Day 17!!

Day 16 over. Not the easiest day. Tired today and don't know why. Feeling discouraged. Walked by the candy dish at work a thousand times.....debating. The good news is that the tools they've provided at least had me stopping and asking the question of what I really wanted. I tuned into the fact that I was tired and realized the candy would only make that worse. I had to ask myself what would be more soothing at that moment. Water. Water? Yes, weird I know. But I figured hydrating would be the best plan. It got me through the slump so I'm happy about that. Then came home and read today's Whole 30 post. It was right on. You know,.... that feeling of thinking you deserve a reward because you've been on program for two weeks. Wow..like they were sitting on my shoulder.

Anyway, still not sure I'm seeing 'magic' but I know I feel better-other than daytime fatigue today. Random. But the reason I don't think of that as magic is because anytime I'm not eating processed stuff I feel better. I was hoping for more fat loss benefits. None the less, still trucking along.

And speaking of fat- can you tell me how you're getting your fat in your meals? If I don't eat a salad, I'm at a loss. I can do avocado, but not three times a day.

So....how are you adding it in. I'm falling to almond butter but not sure that's the right thing to do.

Happy day 17!

Hello all! Still here, sorry I was out of the loop! Seems like everyone is on track.

Greek - 13 more days. I am feeling the same as you - ridiculously tired yesterday (went to bed at 8pm) and discouraged. Not seeing any changes really and I CANNOT be falling asleep that early, I already don't have enough hours in the day. But let's stick through it to the end!

I use a lot of ghee on sweet potatos - so yummy! And lots of oil on veggies... What about avocado for fat? Throw some cashews into a dish? 

Have a great Hump Day all!

Thanks for asking the question about FAT, Greek. I've found myself stuck on using just the "oils" (coconut, olive, ghee)...didn't even think about coconut flakes or almond meal. I did add coconut milk to my mashed sweet potatoes once. Still learning the tricks of the trade...

And thanks for the info on Everyday Paleo...found the website and their podcast link. Seeing as how my Allergy prick test came back negative for food allergies, and yet changing my food has eliminated the hives...I'm fairly confident that I've been dealing with chronic inflammation (likely brought on by too much stress built up over the last year or so that I haven't dealt with properly <ie. poor sleep, poor food, etc.>)...wouldn't be surprised if I've been dealing with Cortisol issues/adrenal fatigue.  With that said, having overtrained before, I am now much more aware of when I'm skating along the edge. And I have a trainer, and a husband, and friends who keep an eye on me and will get in my face if they see me teetering and I don't appear to realize it. :) Anyway, as of right now, the 4 days a week is a good program for me. It gives me the sense that I'm working hard, but still allows me the time to rest. Like Rob, occasionally on my "off days", I'll go for a walk in the park, or do a few yoga stretches...or I just take a hot bath with some music and dim the lights for a bit. I don't guilt myself into running on my off days anymore. If I feel like running, I run. If I feel more like walking, I go for a peaceful walk in the park. No guilt = less stress. So much better. :D

Hi Morkkel! Glad to hear you're still doing well. A little amazing that it's Day 17. At Day 1, I honestly thought that getting to Day 17 would be excruciating. lol. Hasn't been all that bad. Less than 2 weeks to go!

tumblr_mhfik8Q0p31qzr04eo1_500.jpg

Good Morning Lovelies!

Greek - I know you don't eat meat but do you also exclude eggs? They have some good fat. (breakfast today: 1 tbsp ghee to sauté zucchini, 2 handfuls of spinach cooked down a bit, then I just poured scrambled eggs with some seasoning right over the top, cooked it all up and served it with 1/2 avocado and some fruit) I've been throwing extra fats on lately, it's really helped me get through the slumps in my day and keeping me feeling full longer. 

Thank you all so much for the encouragement yesterday, it actually put me the exact headspace I needed to be in. Day 16 was a victory for me thanks to all of you.

I'm just in debate about moving my workouts to the evening, it's not that i'm not waking up in time. I just don't want to leave my house with how cold it is (i'm being a baby) but I can't be missing these workouts for one i'm training for a race on jan 1st and two because of my surgery last year I don't have the luxury to be lazy or my knee really starts to ache. Ok, ok i'm going! sheesh! 

Have an excellent day friends!

Good afternoon everyone!!:)

Day 17! We're so close to the end!

I'm doing so much better than I ever imagined with all of this, at this point.

Being out with friends I catch myself saying "oh, I can't have that" a LOT... but they all know why so no lengthy explanations for me anymore!:)

Otherwise, it's becoming more like second nature. :)

Hope everyone is having a great day!!:)

Ooo, I'm going to try mayo this weekend! It will be fun! Tonight trying bora bora fireballs (compliments of well fed). 

Thanks for the picture JK! Gorgeous and a good mantra!

Just looked back and saw the picture Greek posted (couldn't see it when I checked on my phone)!!! Hilarious! I will buy two - assuming I catch the first bottle.

Robert and Morkkel...it is easy...have done it twice already and so yummy.  I did lemon juice first time and lime the second time.  Just make sure you don't get distracted like I did the second time...I used 2 cups of oil...instead of 1 in the second step...lol.  It still made but kinda had an "oil" taste when used alone...in things or as dressing base it was just fine.

Evening all!

Better day today. But feeling bloated again. Can it resurface? Really?

Amber-Not sure what you mean by Fish re fat. How would you incorporate almond meal as a fat? Didn't even think about that one.

Jes, glad you made it through the babysitting temptation! Hope you enjoyed the evening workout.

JK -glad you know what w/o schedule works for you!!!

Robert-how's the mayo?

Morrkel- Bora bora fireballs???

Travelin-sage advice re avoiding being distracted. :).

Happy day 18 tomorrow!

Evening all!

Better day today. But feeling bloated again. Can it resurface? Really?

Amber-Not sure what you mean by Fish re fat. How would you incorporate almond meal as a fat? Didn't even think about that one.

Jes, glad you made it through the babysitting temptation! Hope you enjoyed the evening workout.

JK -glad you know what w/o schedule works for you!!!

Robert-how's the mayo?

Morrkel- Bora bora fireballs???

Travelin-sage advice re avoiding being distracted. :).

Happy day 18 tomorrow!

I said you could crumb meat with coconut - you said you didn't do either, so I said you could crumb fish with almond meal :) it's just ground almonds, so the same as eating nuts...

Good afternoon everyone!!:)

Day 17! We're so close to the end!

I'm doing so much better than I ever imagined with all of this, at this point.

Being out with friends I catch myself saying "oh, I can't have that" a LOT... but they all know why so no lengthy explanations for me anymore!:)

Otherwise, it's becoming more like second nature. :)

Hope everyone is having a great day!!:)

Oh, but you CAN have it. You can eat whatever you like. Change what you think to "I DON'T WANT it" and it's more about what you choose. It also makes it easier to avoid foods - if you can't have something, you're more likely to want it :)

Dinner time on day 18, ugh, i would love a break from cooking. Today has been rough. I am definitely proud I've come this far but a night out with some chips and salsa and a cold beer is sooooo appealing. Today, by far, has been my hardest day fighting off temptation. Can someone just come over and make me a nice whole30 dinner?;)

Archived