Surprise Trip

CGinDC

Ugh...just found out I have to take a last-minute trip to my company's headquarters, leaving tomorrow, for the next 3 nights. A senior coworker has asked me and another coworker out for drinks/dinner on Wednesday. I checked out the restaurant and I think there are options, but I am not looking forward to explaining why I won't partake in the happy hour drinks. I don't particularly like either of these two women - they are the office gossip type - and don't feel like explaining something that is, to me, a personal decision to improve my health. I'm sure they'll both assume I'm pregnant.

Also not happy that I'm going to have to give my fresh veggies away that I just bought yesterday! They won't go to waste, my boyfriend will eat everything, but it's still money down the drain.

Any suggestions as to how I can handle this? And general tips on travel/eating out?

Plan on having soda water and lime when you go out. If pressed, you could say you're testing eliminating certain foods for 30 days in an effort to improve your health, and leave it at that.

Does the hotel have a restaurant where you can get compliant meals?

When dining out, getting things cooked dry grilled, no seasonings except salt and pepper, is your best bet. Avoid marinades (potential for soy sauce and sugar). If you get a salad, get it without dressing with a lemon wedge on the side. Get vegetables steamed, unless they can give you with 100% assurance a compliant oil. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've carried a tiny jar of homemade balsamic dressing in my purse when going to a restaurant. (I put it in a little ziploc baggie to be safe.) It's not a big fuss to use it - and if someone says something I can say either "I like my homemade dressing best" and leave it at that or I say "just getting my daily dose of evoo, yum".

How was your trip? I'm in DC too and I totally get the huge emphasis place on happy hour. I do the soda and lime trick. Most people don't even question it as long as it's placed in a normal glass. I have come up with some witty comebacks for when people press me abut it:

Honestly, no matter how many drinks I have you still won't look any better. (When said with a laugh people often laugh back and back down!)

Or if it's my boss: I'm actually reviewing some files this evening and want to make sure my mind is completly clear. (Bonus points!)

Archived